PDA

View Full Version : If I win Powerball I have to have this...

mack7.62
03-17-18, 07:13
1959 McDonnell F4H-1F Phantom II
s/n 150310 N815WF
$3,950,000
"World's Only Privately Owned F-4 Phantom Capable of Flight"

http://www.platinumfighters.com/phantom2

History:

F4H-1F ‘145310’ was delivered to the Navy in 1959 and was the 11th pre-production aircraft built. 1961 was a memorable year for the jet. On 22nd April 1961, it carried a very impressive 22 Mk83 500lb bombs on various hardpoints under the aircraft and dropped them on a range at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. This demonstration was the deciding factor for the United States Air Force to also order the aircraft.

flenna
03-17-18, 07:41
s/n 150310 N815WF
$3,950,000

History:

F4H-1F ‘145310’ was delivered to the Navy in 1959 and was the 11th pre-production aircraft built. 1961 was a memorable year for the jet. On 22nd April 1961, it carried a very impressive 22 Mk83 500lb bombs on various hardpoints under the aircraft and dropped them on a range at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. This demonstration was the deciding factor for the United States Air Force to also order the aircraft.

In high school my dad was stationed at MCAS Beaufort. He would walk me through the hangers to look at the F4 Phantoms and I would go to the flight line to watch them take off. They are awesome machines.

RazorBurn
03-17-18, 09:42
s/n 150310 N815WF
$3,950,000

History:

Hellz yeah!!! Gotta love the ole Lead Sled!

Diamondback
03-17-18, 10:14

What happened to the one that Congress ORDERED DOD to transfer to Collings Foundation before they finished chopping 'em all up? (Frankly, I think the chop-up-and-part-out should have fallen on those who seek wholesale destruction of our national aerospace heritage instead...)

qsy
03-17-18, 10:20
What happened to the one that Congress ORDERED DOD to transfer to Collings Foundation before they finished chopping 'em all up? (Frankly, I think the chop-up-and-part-out should have fallen on those who seek wholesale destruction of our national aerospace heritage instead...)

They still have it. Don't know if that qualifies as a "privately owned" F4 or not.

Averageman
03-17-18, 10:59
I would kill myself just as quickly with Hookers and Coke, but have some amazing legacy of debauchery to leave behind.
Lots of things I might splurge on buddy, but that aint one of them.

ralph
03-17-18, 11:38
s/n 150310 N815WF
$3,950,000

History:

While something like this would be cool to own, the maintenance, and storage fees would drain you of alot of money quickly, not to mention the anount of time needed to get a jet license to fly the damn thing...I'd pass..

SteyrAUG
03-17-18, 12:33
I would kill myself just as quickly with Hookers and Coke, but have some amazing legacy of debauchery to leave behind.

Yeah. I'd own the Hollywood Armalites before I bought a F4. Now a F4U might be a different conversation.

mack7.62
03-17-18, 12:57
While something like this would be cool to own, the maintenance, and storage fees would drain you of alot of money quickly, not to mention the anount of time needed to get a jet license to fly the damn thing...I'd pass..

Don't need no stinkin' license, I'd hire some hot ex AF or Navy pilot broad to fly it and be the GIB.:dirol:

mack7.62
03-17-18, 13:01
Yeah. I'd own the Hollywood Armalites before I bought a F4. Now a F4U might be a different conversation.

They got one of them for sale also, more money and you have to fly yourself.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/fg1dn72nw

Hmac
03-17-18, 13:04
I was in college at the University of Nebraska and saw the Blue Angels fly the show in F4 Phantoms at the Nebraska Air National Guard base in 1971. I've seen both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds fly several times before and since, but watching Double Ugly thunder into the air in formation way back then was a truly memorable event. I remember actually feeling it as they took off.

mack7.62
03-17-18, 13:20
The F4 was like a 60's muscle car, not a lot of finesse but big enough engines to make up for it.

soulezoo
03-17-18, 13:34
The Phantom was proof that if you put enough engine on a garbage truck, it will fly!

uffdaphil
03-17-18, 14:14
Mighty pretty garbage truck when they are dumping the nape.

Averageman
03-17-18, 14:19
Right before we began clearing the minefields with our Abrams mounted mineplows we had a Phantom fly over at what I'm guessing was 100 feet above our formation.
You want to talk about getting a morale booster just when you needed it, that was it.
So low the antennas swayed.

Kain
03-17-18, 14:25

You know, I love the F4U. Blacksheep might be the cause of tgat. But the Phantom I love just as much. And both kicked plenty of ass.

26 Inf
03-17-18, 14:53
I was in college at the University of Nebraska and saw the Blue Angels fly the show in F4 Phantoms at the Nebraska Air National Guard base in 1971. I've seen both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds fly several times before and since, but watching Double Ugly thunder into the air in formation way back then was a truly memorable event. I remember actually feeling it as they took off.

Huh, did you live off-campus? I was a junior at Lincoln Northeast that year.

Hmac
03-17-18, 15:15
Huh, did you live off-campus? I was a junior at Lincoln Northeast that year.

Lived in the fraternity house for two years, then off campus east on Holdredge for the last two years. Bob Devaney’s girlfriend lived in the same apartment complex. I used to see him leaving in the mornings a few days a week as I headed to my 7am genetics class.

OH58D
03-17-18, 15:36
Sounds like something Hunter S. Thompson would have written. For me, a Fast Mover is too fast to drive; I prefer something 150 knots or less and has rotors.

elephant
03-17-18, 19:06
$3,950,000

I have to disagree, there are (2) , air worthy- flying F-4 Phantoms located at Addison Airport, north of Dallas that are owned and operated by an LLC that also owns a flying F-105 Thunderchief, A-7 Corsair, F-8 Crusader, (2) A-4 Skyhawk's and a recently purchased F-14 Tomcat.

26 Inf
03-17-18, 19:33
Lived in the fraternity house for two years, then off campus east on Holdredge for the last two years. Bob Devaney’s girlfriend lived in the same apartment complex. I used to see him leaving in the mornings a few days a week as I headed to my 7am genetics class.

Well if Nebraska hadn't lost me as a fan when they left the Big 12, I'd have to challenge you to a duel over disparaging Saint Bob.

Next you'll try telling me Johnny Rodgers was an armed robber, remember that?

How far East on Holdrege? We lived in the area of 56th and Holdredge.

I loved Lincoln would have returned after my stint in the Marines but the LPD was too persnickety about uncorrected vision.

Coal Dragger
03-17-18, 19:48
I must be the only person I know who really doesn’t like Lincoln, NE. My brother lives there, my wife likes it, my parents like it. I can’t stand the place.

Diamondback
03-17-18, 20:04
Why think small? *I* want a B-52, or better yet a B-1, to see about some Dale Brown-style hotrodding... I figure with a Bone if I downsize one of the weapons bays to install some extra engines and refit the mains with up-rated F135's, or maybe graft in the F-35 LiftFan system, I should be able to at least get STOVL out of it.

Hmmm... front half of mid-bay, convert rest of mid into a fuel tank, build a vehicle elevator into aft-bay, convert forward into a small apartment... yeah, I think a B-1 could be turned into a quite nice little mobile-home-on-wings.

26 Inf
03-17-18, 20:36
I must be the only person I know who really doesn’t like Lincoln, NE. My brother lives there, my wife likes it, my parents like it. I can’t stand the place.

Well, I spent my teenage years growing up there. It isn't too big, it isn't too small. During the late 60's early 70's there wasn't a lot of overt racial strife. I realized that I hadn't ever really seen poor folks until I was stationed at Camp Lejuene and traveled in the southeast, so I guess at the time I lived there Lincoln wasn't bad in that respect.

Still enjoy going back every couple years to get my Runza and Valentino's fix.

Hmac
03-17-18, 21:10
Well, I spent my teenage years growing up there. It isn't too big, it isn't too small. During the late 60's early 70's there wasn't a lot of overt racial strife. I realized that I hadn't ever really seen poor folks until I was stationed at Camp Lejuene and traveled in the southeast, so I guess at the time I lived there Lincoln wasn't bad in that respect.

Still enjoy going back every couple years to get my Runza and Valentino's fix.

They ain't cheap to buy online...you really have to want them, but I always have some Runzas in the freezer. https://www.runza.com/shop/product-detail?object=11393 . They cook up just fine. The real deal.

Vals...? Never the same after Tony and Luigi's sold the franchise.

I grew up in Omaha. Nice town back then. Lincoln was a nice town too...pretty much still is.