PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question

USMGoldenEagle
10-19-08, 13:44
This will probably sound like a complete noob question but.....you do have to have both front and rear sights right? I think the entire "B.U.I.S." terminology has me thrown off. "Back Up Iron Sights" doesn't refer to them being in the rear only. Would the front sights be considered "back up" too in case your optics were useless?

Since my gun doesn't have a front sight I definitely want to make sure I get the right parts for my gun. I am assuming that by getting the "flip up" type you can use your optics without conflict with a front sight? Is it a must to have a flip-up sight with any particular type of optics?

I have noticed in a lot of the pics that most of their optics seem to have their fixed front sight in the line of sight of their optic. Is that ideal or not?

LOKNLOD
10-19-08, 14:08
This will probably sound like a complete noob question but.....you do have to have both front and rear sights right? I think the entire "B.U.I.S." terminology has me thrown off. "Back Up Iron Sights" doesn't refer to them being in the rear only. Would the front sights be considered "back up" too in case your optics were useless?

Yes. You need both front and rear sights. For the most common configurations, the standard front sight base/gas block remains as the front sight, and then typically a rear BUIS is added. If you have a configuration with a low profile gas block, and no front sight, you'll need to add a front BUIS of some sort as well. What kind would depend on the current setup.

Since my gun doesn't have a front sight I definitely want to make sure I get the right parts for my gun.

Can you tell us exactly what you have right now? That'll help everyone make accurate recommendations.

I am assuming that by getting the "flip up" type you can use your optics without conflict with a front sight? Is it a must to have a flip-up sight with any particular type of optics?

I have noticed in a lot of the pics that most of their optics seem to have their fixed front sight in the line of sight of their optic. Is that ideal or not?

The "right" answer to this varies with personal preference and what type of optic you are using.

With a non-magnified red-dot type optic, many consider having the fixed standard front sight base as a bonus. In a pinch the optic and front sight can be used as a sort of rough ghost-ring type sight. There's also no need to flip it up or down, it's very sturdy, and is one less thing to worry about. With the optic properly mounted, and a lower 1/3 cowitness, the front sight is minimal in the sight picture.

For magnified optics, many people don't mind the fixed front sight, as the focus of the magnification allows you to sort of "look through" the front sight base, causing a faint shadow at best. Some people don't mind, some people it bothers. Since you can't cowitness through the magnified optics, you don't have the same benefits of having the fixed front sight, but it's not necessarily a big drawback.

USMGoldenEagle
10-19-08, 14:12
I just purchased the S&W M&P15 O.R.C. Since it is the Optics Ready Carbine I have no sights at all.

LOKNLOD
10-19-08, 14:27
I just purchased the S&W M&P15 O.R.C. Since it is the Optics Ready Carbine I have no sights at all.

This one? (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=70947&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=33803&isFirearm=Y)

Someone who has experience with that particular model will have to confirm this, but it looks to me like the rail for the gas block is the same height as the rail on top of the receiver. That's better as some have lower rail that limits your front sight options.

What kind of optic are you planning on using? Do you plan on keeping the standard handguards or do you intend to replace them with a railed system?

USMGoldenEagle
10-19-08, 14:35
This one? (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=70947&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=33803&isFirearm=Y)

Someone who has experience with that particular model will have to confirm this, but it looks to me like the rail for the gas block is the same height as the rail on top of the receiver. That's better as some have lower rail that limits your front sight options.

What kind of optic are you planning on using? Do you plan on keeping the standard handguards or do you intend to replace them with a railed system?

Yes that is the gun I have. You are right about the rails being level.

I haven't decided on what type of optic to go with. I was hoping to spend around $250 on something good for CQB but with the capablity to have decent range accuracy as well.

I do plan on replacing the handguard with a railed system as well. I'm just not sure which one yet.

LOKNLOD
10-19-08, 17:01
Yes that is the gun I have. You are right about the rails being level.

I haven't decided on what type of optic to go with. I was hoping to spend around $250 on something good for CQB but with the capablity to have decent range accuracy as well.

I do plan on replacing the handguard with a railed system as well. I'm just not sure which one yet.

I'll be honest, $250 is a tight budget for a good CQB optic. It's an even tighter budget for an optic that can handle CQB well and assist a longer range.

Nothing wrong with being on a budget, but if you could save another $100-200 you could easily get a good deal on a used Aimpoint and mount, or get a basic model Aimpoint (check out the C3 model) and mount. If you like the Eotechs they're a little cheaper to get into, also. Either is usable out to several hundred yards.

ZDL
10-19-08, 17:23
I'll be honest, $250 is a tight budget for a good CQB optic. It's an even tighter budget for an optic that can handle CQB well and assist a longer range.

Nothing wrong with being on a budget, but if you could save another $100-200 you could easily get a good deal on a used Aimpoint and mount, or get a basic model Aimpoint (check out the C3 model) and mount. If you like the Eotechs they're a little cheaper to get into, also. Either is usable out to several hundred yards.

Did anyone get one of those $150 vortex optics yet? I'm hoping to order one this week for T&E. If anyone has any ideas outside of the typical how bright is it, does it wash out, does it hold zero, things to discuss PM me. I want to do a good one for the board and could use the help on format etc. Rob, stickman, let me know if you have anything you would like to pass along.