PDA

View Full Version : Brownells DD M4A1 16” upper

dhnut1973
03-20-18, 08:46
I see that Brownells is selling these and I am wondering if DD cut corners on these uppers because they are cheaper than the 14.5” M4A1 uppers they used to offer. These have no BCG, CH or flashhider and they appear to have a polymer dustcover. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180320/cb1384a51dda185e8e5a2af3945a2e53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
03-20-18, 09:28
The market is in a dump right now. Brands are trying to make sales without reducing apparent value.

feraldog
03-20-18, 09:39
fyi - the polymer dustcover is standard on all DD now, not a cost-cutting feature.

JulyAZ
03-20-18, 09:51
I actually really like those dust covers, so much so I buy them off people that take them off to use in my future builds.

They’re cheaper because all the stuff they are missing, not a bad deal if you ask me. You get to build your rifle with your preferred parts, without wasting money by throwing all the take offs in a parts bin.

Stickman
03-20-18, 09:52
I see that Brownells is selling these and I am wondering if DD cut corners on these uppers because they are cheaper than the 14.5” M4A1 uppers they used to offer. These have no BCG, CH or flashhider and they appear to have a polymer dustcover. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180320/cb1384a51dda185e8e5a2af3945a2e53.jpg

Is this the same one we have already posted about, where the rail is the DD component and the barrel and receiver are from RRA or some other company?

dhnut1973
03-20-18, 09:53
So these are gtg then? I don't think they are CHF, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

JulyAZ
03-20-18, 09:54
Is this the same one we have already posted about, where the rail is the only actual DD component and the barrel and receiver are from RRA or some other company?

I don’t think so, brownells sells the MK18 upper like this too, I’ve know people that have bought them and they are pure DD, just stripped down to the base components.

dhnut1973
03-20-18, 09:57
Is this the same one we have already posted about, where the rail is the DD component and the barrel and receiver are from RRA or some other company?

Here's the write-up for them. I think the one you are talking about was an FN if I'm not mistaken.

Inspired by US Military Carbines

For those looking to match the specs and performance on the M4A1 SOCOM Block II carbines used by troops during Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, the Daniel Defense M4A1 SOCOM Block II Upper Receiver is a great starting point.

The Daniel Defense M4A1 SOCOM Block II Upper Receiver features a quad-rail handguard equipped with a Picatinny-compatible rail sections. The barrel is constructed from mil-spec chrome-moly vanadium steel and features a standard Government profile (current SOCOM issue) with a chrome-lined interior, matching military-style barrels with the same construction.

Made from 7075-T6 aluminum
Barrel length: 16 inches
Twist rate: 1:7
Does not include BCG, charging handle or flash hider
The Daniel Defense M4A1 SOCOM Block II Upper Receiver features a flat dark earth anodized finish. The rifle can be had with an F-marked front sight gas block or a low-profile gas block under a full-length forend.

officerX
03-20-18, 10:31
Links please!

dhnut1973
03-20-18, 10:57
Links please!

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-m4a1-socom-block-ii-5-56-stripped-upper-receiver-prod110296.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=DANIEL%2bDEFENSE

Cokie
03-20-18, 11:34
I bought one a few weeks ago. All the parts are DD. The gas block on the non-fsp is pinned to the barrel and its a mid length gas system. It’s a 16” barrel and I finished it with parts I had and used the colt lower I got from brownells for cheap. Pretty sweet deal.

dhnut1973
03-20-18, 12:26
I bought one a few weeks ago. All the parts are DD. The gas block on the non-fsp is pinned to the barrel and its a mid length gas system. It’s a 16” barrel and I finished it with parts I had and used the colt lower I got from brownells for cheap. Pretty sweet deal.

Good to hear, I’m seriously considering picking one up soon. How’s the accuracy been?

Cokie
03-20-18, 15:33
Good to hear, I’m seriously considering picking one up soon. How’s the accuracy been?

Been snowed out of my favorite range all winter. But I have a few DD barrels and thy have all been good enough.

Iraqgunz
03-20-18, 18:36
Try using the search feature to stay up to date on current events.