PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 9L w/Rapid Reticle

C4IGrant
10-19-08, 14:30
Last year Trijicon showed an M&P mount that would allow you to use their red dot optic (and a couple other brands). They have finally released these and I just finished installing one on a 9L.

The Trijicon mount is well made and has a good, tight fit in the slide. They are also fairly priced. We chose the Rapid Reticle because of its ability to turn the dot off or go full power. Its auto sensing window is also forward looking (which I like). The other nice feature on the RR is that it has a rear channel built into it that could be used as a rear sight (if you had a taller front sight). This would give you the ability to still shoot irons!

Thanks Trijicon for releasing this mount!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/9L_PF_Fullview.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/9L_PF_sideview.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/9L_PF_Rearview.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/9L_PF_Frontview1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/9L_PF_Frontview.jpg

John_Wayne777
10-19-08, 16:53
I'm sure the competition guys will be all over that.

A practical RDS system for handguns is a very cool thing to contemplate...

C4IGrant
10-19-08, 17:02
I'm sure the competition guys will be all over that.

A practical RDS system for handguns is a very cool thing to contemplate...

It is a very interesting idea. Vickers once said to me that he wanted to build this type of configuration as well, but there needed to be a back up sighting system. I believe that this is it. You could also add the CT laser grips to it for another sighting system.

I intend to run this setup in training classes as I think it is a viable setup.

C4

Steve
10-19-08, 17:32
I have been running that rig for a month + now from them, on my compact MP with there soon to be released unit...
with CTC grips go figure. I have also found that at 7 and in all you need to do is center the target in the window and press the trigger and repeat as needed
its MOA hits

Kelly mcann has been running a set up like this for years on his glock. I think his was a tasco optima2000 .

also if you lift your head a hair you can see the front sight very well and shoot off that. ill be getting one set up on my FS mp as well pretty shortly

th eunit is rugged enough that i have ran it off my bench , my truck and several other items about the range and yard. it makes very efficent strong /support hand only actions. and some of the shooters with aging eyes love it

Yojimbo
10-19-08, 21:47
Looks like an interesting setup.

I've always wondered how rugged those Dr. Optics style sights were when used with a pistol.

Will they hold up when used against the edge of your belt, holster, boot heel or other objects when doing one handed manipulations?

Steve
10-19-08, 21:53

I've always wondered how rugger those Dr. Optics style sights were when used with a pistol.

Will they hold up when used against the edge of your belt, holster, boot heel or other opbjects when doing one handed manipulations?

as i posted yes they will so far so good. i have some more range time coming this week on this set up be looking for some new units from a company that are shall we say are ruggedized. even more so than current units.

mine has been racked off several objects cars truck benchs etc... and about to see even more this tuesday

one thing i found out is if you leave the hood on in sleep mode and need it all you do if knife edge it as to rack the slide at the same time and the hood will fly off ill try and shoot some film this up coming week

RogerinTPA
10-19-08, 21:56
Very interesting concept. I too am concerned though about the durability of the RDS through a tactical pistol class and such. The Crimson Trace grips would be a nice complement. I suspect your scores should increase dramatically with this set up.:cool:

Yojimbo
10-20-08, 08:57
I just took a closer look at the pics that Grant posted and it looks like the optic has the power switch on the front under the sight window.

IMHO, having the the switch there could cause some issues, like turning off the sight, if you used it for one handed manipulations like I mentioned above.

IIRC, the Dr. Optics sight doesnt have a power switch like the one pictured above.

C4IGrant
10-20-08, 08:58

I've always wondered how rugged those Dr. Optics style sights were when used with a pistol.

Will they hold up when used against the edge of your belt, holster, boot heel or other objects when doing one handed manipulations?

I think (within reason) they are very rugged (especially the metal ones).

C4

C4IGrant
10-20-08, 08:59
Very interesting concept. I too am concerned though about the durability of the RDS through a tactical pistol class and such. The Crimson Trace grips would be a nice complement. I suspect your scores should increase dramatically with this set up.:cool:

Who said my scores were low?? :D

C4

C4IGrant
10-20-08, 09:00
I just took a closer look at the pics that Grant posted and it looks like the optic has the power switch on the front under the sight window.

IMHO, having the the switch there could cause some issues, like turning off the sight, if you used it for one handed manipulations like I mentioned above.

IIRC, the Dr. Optics sight doesnt have a power switch like the one pictured above.

The switch is actually hard to get to and practicing chamber/malfunction clearing, I have yet to hit it.

The Dr. Optic will NOT work with the mount. You have to use either this optic (Rapid reticle), JPoint or the Trijicon Red Dot.

C4

ToddG
10-20-08, 10:14
Until there is a compatible height front sight for co-witnessing, it's not something I'd use.

After that, the issues I'd want to explore before committing:
Durability (obviously) including being used as a hook for one-handed manipulations, etc.
Responsiveness of the red dot auto brightness system to real world lighting conditions, which often change and/or often involve the shooter and target being in different zones of light/darkness.
Holster compatibility.
Size and contour (& sharpness of edges) for concealed carry, especially in terms of whether it's possible for IWB and AIWB.

Only an idiot would deny that a RDS for a pistol is a great concept, but taking that concept to a practical tool for a hard use weapon is going to be a serious challenge.

John_Wayne777
10-20-08, 10:19
Grant -- Are you going to have this thing in Low Light II? I'd love to get some trigger time on it...maybe even clean a plate rack with it and compare doing the same thing with my iron sighted M&P....

C4IGrant
10-20-08, 10:39
Until there is a compatible height front sight for co-witnessing, it's not something I'd use.

After that, the issues I'd want to explore before committing:
Durability (obviously) including being used as a hook for one-handed manipulations, etc.
Responsiveness of the red dot auto brightness system to real world lighting conditions, which often change and/or often involve the shooter and target being in different zones of light/darkness.
Holster compatibility.
Size and contour (& sharpness of edges) for concealed carry, especially in terms of whether it's possible for IWB and AIWB.

Only an idiot would deny that a RDS for a pistol is a great concept, but taking that concept to a practical tool for a hard use weapon is going to be a serious challenge.

Taller front sights (as you know) are already out there. Couple that with the CT laser grip and you have triple redundancy.

I have been running various micro red dots on long guns and pistols for years. I have had all of one go out on me (to date).

What I like the Rapid Reticle model is that it is auto sensing (forward looking VS sky looking) and you can turn it up to maximum power (for weird lighting situations).

I do not believe that this setup lends itself to concealed carry. I look at this as more applicable to open carry and such.

I have a holster coming for it now so I think that I can make something work.

C4

C4IGrant
10-20-08, 10:40
Grant -- Are you going to have this thing in Low Light II? I'd love to get some trigger time on it...maybe even clean a plate rack with it and compare doing the same thing with my iron sighted M&P....

Depends on if I have a holster in time. I might just bring it any way so that we can try it in the shoot house. I am also bringing my WC CQB with the IR CT laser grips to use with the NODS. :eek:

C4

ToddG
10-20-08, 10:58
Taller front sights (as you know) are already out there.

Tall enough to co-witness with the rear notch using this setup on an M&P?

Couple that with the CT laser grip and you have triple redundancy.

You'll never find a bigger fan of CTC than me, but I wouldn't consider the Lasergrips a suitable backup to something else. If for no other reason, they cannot be depended upon in bright outdoor conditions. They're great if you have irons for backup, and so again if you had a tall enough front sight it's certainly good to have that additional capability.

I do not believe that this setup lends itself to concealed carry. I look at this as more applicable to open carry and such.

I wonder if there is a cheap housing-only or mold Trijicon could get me, I'd be interested in sending it to a couple of holster makers to see what they think they could accomplish.

C4IGrant
10-20-08, 11:05
Tall enough to co-witness with the rear notch using this setup on an M&P?

You'll never find a bigger fan of CTC than me, but I wouldn't consider the Lasergrips a suitable backup to something else. If for no other reason, they cannot be depended upon in bright outdoor conditions. They're great if you have irons for backup, and so again if you had a tall enough front sight it's certainly good to have that additional capability.

I wonder if there is a cheap housing-only or mold Trijicon could get me, I'd be interested in sending it to a couple of holster makers to see what they think they could accomplish.

Yes, tall enought to co-witness.

As you know CT grips are viewable to about 15yds in full sun light. Using the reflex optic's window I can also point shoot and hit center mass all day long at typical handgun fighting distances.

C4

Leonidas
10-20-08, 16:18
I may have been seeing things but I thought I could see the top portion of the factory front sights through the rear notch. Of course, I could have been angling the front of the gun up a little bit also to see the front sight, I can't remember :(

Steve
10-21-08, 09:47
Mine on my compact fit in my everyday carry holsters from raven with no issue

S&WM&PAR15T
11-05-08, 19:40
Grant,

Would you PM me a price for putting one of those together? Pistol + Sight + 10 Extra Mags 9mm please

Thanks Jon

sff70
11-06-08, 00:26
Actually, the competition guys have been all over this going back about 10 yrs.

Way back then, Tasco introduced the Optima, which had its origin in a earlier UK produced sight called the "Firepoint".

The Optima its imitators (some of which are far superior to the original) have been used in USPSA and 3 gun competition, with varied results on reliability.