PDA

View Full Version : AR Build Priorities

LBJ1891
03-21-18, 14:33
Ok so I’m pondering completing two more ARs from the two stripped lowers that I bought soetime ago. My question is, should I be looking to gets parts/extra barrel for my existing AR(lmt mrp) first before moving on to build new ones?

opinions?

mack7.62
03-21-18, 14:41
By all means get the spare parts for your LMT first, just make sure they are in the form of a complete upper on a complete place keeper lower.:cool:

Hulkstr8
03-21-18, 14:45
I am pretty paranoid about spare parts, as I am sure some guys on here have picked up on. Aside from buffer springs (I buy the cheap mil-spec as backups), I always have spare extractor springs (Colt golds as per Mistwolf).

I think a better back up to a rifle going down, is another complete rifle.

hotrodder636
03-21-18, 14:48
If the funds are available, max out your LMT and stock up on parts as good deals come up for the other 2 lowers. Every time I have had a “spare” lower, it has morphed into a complete gun.

26 Inf
03-21-18, 15:32
Ok so I’m pondering completing two more ARs from the two stripped lowers that I bought soetime ago. My question is, should I be looking to gets parts/extra barrel for my existing AR(lmt mrp) first before moving on to build new ones?

opinions?

Caveat - I'm not fluent in LMT models, since you didn't say CQB, I ass-u-me it you have a 20" MRP DI rifle.

If I were you in that situation I would build a 16" rifle before worrying about buying another MRP barrel.

If the rifle has the enhanced bolt, I would make sure I had an extra extractor and springs before starting the other build. I'd get those, do the build, then get another complete enhanced bolt or BCG. Then start adding to my parts supply.

Until you get sufficient parts on hand, the second rifle could be used as a donor to keep the LMT running - which, truthfully, is not likely to be necessary.

That is just my take. I'd just as soon be able to grab another rifle and continue shooting as do repairs on the range. But, at the same time I need the parts that aren't readily available locally - in this case the enhanced extractor - to be able to get the rifle up once you get home.

Good luck.

Hammer_Man
03-21-18, 23:35
Definitely purchase the proprietary LMT parts first, as they may be very difficult to locate if another panic buy sets in. After that start stocking up on parts as funds allow for your other projects. Don't forget ammo and magazines.

kirkland
03-22-18, 07:39
Good to have an extra extractor, springs, even an extra bolt. You shouldn't need an extra barrel.

RHINOWSO
03-22-18, 09:06
Proprietary parts first. Did that with my SCARs and I’m happy i did.

Not that they ever break, but just in case.

LBJ1891
03-22-18, 14:09
Proprietary parts first seems most logical. i know what i need to do now.

Thanks

Mr McSimon
03-23-18, 19:22
Proprietary parts first seems most logical. i know what i need to do now.

Thanks

Aint this place great?