PDA

View Full Version : Review: Striker Control Device AKA "The Gadget"

Voodoo_Man
03-21-18, 16:15
Per forum policy entire review is copy/pasted - be advised images, videos, and links do not copy/paste over:

Description
According to Taudevgroup, "The Striker Control Device (SCD) replaces the slide cover plate on your Glock pistol. When thumb pressure is applied to the SCD it blocks the rearward motion of the striker, which blocks movement of the trigger bar and prevents the trigger from moving. The SCD is completely passive. It does not lock or otherwise interfere with the normal operation of the pistol unless physical force is being purposely applied by the user. When using any normal firing grip, the SCD is not engaged and your pistol fires as usual with no additional steps needed. The SCD was inspired by standard procedures for double action hammer fired guns. Users are taught to keep pressure on the hammer while holstering. In doing so, trigger motion is blocked and the gun is prevented from firing in the event that something (finger, shirt, thumb break, jacket drawstring, etc.) finds its way into the trigger guard. The SCD provides this same capability for Glock pistols. The SCD provides an extra layer of safety when holstering. It does NOT replace awareness and safe gun handling. It creates an additional layer of safety to help avoid accidents. ALWAYS follow the four cardinal rules of firearms safety." and that "The SCD is CNC machined from 17-4PH stainless steel, has a black oxide finish, and is proudly made in the United States." I purchased several SCD's when they became available for purchase at around 12/16. Since then I was sent the Reduced Pre-Travel SCD, as well as the new Gen5 SCD and the Glock G43 SCD for review. The SCD retails for around $79 plus shipping, which is an absolute steal as far as I am concerned. You can buy it directly from Taudevgroup.

Reason for Purchase
I carry AIWB off duty, I also exclusively carry Glock pistols. Not because they are perfection incarnate but because they are the best system for me, or so I thought until I learned about the gadget in early 2016. I knew immediately that an addition to a Glock pistol which would allow confident reholstering without looking directly into the holster was developed around the mindset of real world application. I wanted to be part of the initial test group but, unfortunately, all those spots were filled with competent shooters and pistol practitioners. So when the SCD became available for the the Gen4 and was backwards compatible with every previous generation, I knew I had to jump on it. At the time when the SCD came in, late December of 2016, I was still carrying a Glock 19 Gen4 which was having issues, so I quickly swapped it over to a brand new Glock 19 Gen3 FDE, I have been carrying the same SCD in that gun up until the last few weeks when I have been transitioning over the Glock 19 Gen5, this is because the SCD which is compatible with the Gen5 Glocks was released. This is an awesome development as I like the Gen5 and want to put as much time on it as possible. Carrying the Gen5 without an SCD was something I did not want to do.

First Opinion
The first thing I did when I got my SCD in the mail in 12/16 is to install it into my Glock 19, push on the rear of the Glock with my thumb and try to push the trigger to make it go off. I could not get it to go off. I did a few dry fire repetitions focusing directly on the SCD and the SCD functioned as designed, it would move backwards towards my face when the trigger is prepped and when the firing pin went forward it went back to a standard flush mode. The install was extremely simple but I have heard that people have had issues with it. Below photos are of the Glock 43 SCD being installed, it is the same exact process to install the SCD on any other Glock pistol.

Take a Glock Tool, or appropriately sized metal punch, and push down (towards the front of the slide) on the plastic spacer sleeve directly underneath the firing pin. As you are pushing that down, with your thumb push the OEM backplate downward (away from the rear sight). If that does not work, use another small punch or something you can push down on it with. I am able to do it with just my thumb and a little bit of pressure, no reason you cannot do the same.

This is what it will look like after you successfully push the OEM backplate down. When you go to remove the OEM backplate, put your other thumb, or something else, over the space behind the slide. There are internals under spring tension which may possibly pop out. Once that OEM backplate is out, you can install the SCD.

You will need to use that Glock tool or punch to push the plastic spacer sleeve forward to push the SCD into place, then use the same tool or punch to push the top of the spring loaded bearing as you push the SCD into place upward (toward the rear sight). It has to click. Once it does, try to push the SCD off the back of the slide downward (away from the rear sight). If it does then it was not installed properly. It should not come off without the plastic spacer being pushed down at the same time. It would take more pressure than an average person could exert from their thumbs to push it off the back of the slide if it installed properly.

Final result on a Glock 43. Again, it is the same exact process on any other Glock.

I hit the range and ran some drills to make sure it worked fine before carrying it. I put about 300 rounds through my carry gun and another 150 through the other SCD on another gun I carried sometimes for testing purposes at that time.

Once I figured out that the SCD's worked fine, I started to carry AIWB with them.

In the Field
I am a huge fan of logically developed tools. I will always try to see the logic someone else may have considered in their development while I evaluate an item. The SCD allows me to have a tactile feel while reholstering to indicate if something is caught on my trigger. Looking into the holster while you reholster is the wrong move, logically, as there may still be threats which you need to be on the look out for. This allows you to make two significant actions at once, look around as well as reholster your pistol. Reholstering should be slowly, but subconsciously, done. Looking around has to be deliberate, remember ISIS is always plotting. The SCD also allows you to have positive control over your pistol's ability to discharge even if you are not in actual physical control of the trigger. This is super important as rendering a pistol inoperable simply by holding it a specific way (by putting pressure on the backplate) and may provide for a moment of confusion needed in order to affect the situation positively in your favor.

I have had SCD's attached to every gun I have carried and/or trained with since receiving them. I would say that my primary SCD has seen just over 20k rounds and I could not in any way attribute any issues I have had to it. In fact I have had no issues with my Glock 19.3 so that is even more of an indication, in my opinion, of how well the SCD functions.

(Standard on the right, reduced pre-travel on the left)

Ownership and Usage
I have had two instances where I felt the SCD push against my thumb during reholstering, both were during combatives training and during physical confrontations where my clothing (t-shirts) was pushed into the holster due to physical contact. Both times the SCD did its job. I tested the SCD during training several times in "fight over the gun" type of scenarios and each time as long as I did not release pressure from the backplate the pistol became incapable of discharging. In one training scenario which started off on the ground, I was the aggressor, and gave my pistol to the person I was attempting to disarm, even though I knew that the SCD was present on that pistol, I could not effectively gain positive control over the pistol and the person I was attempting to disarm was able to deploy a blade in the time he was defending against the disarm. The goal was to disarm the other person, nothing else (hence why I did not deploy a blade).

I can say that the SCD works on aftermarket slides as well. It fits and functions perfectly in the Unity Tactical ATOM slide. I also installed an Overwatch Precision TAC Trigger into the frame and that means I needed a Reduced Pre-Travel SCD due to the reduced distance the trigger travels in order to discharge the pistol.

This setup functions without any issues and works the same exact way as the standard SCD. I have put about 5k rounds through the gun with the reduced pre-travel SCD installed with the Overwatch Precision TAC trigger. I have not tried it with any other aftermarket trigger system, nor would I suggest in doing so, even with the reduced pre-travel SCD. Overly light triggers will probably still discharge even with the reduced pre-travel SCD, rendering it ineffective.

One thing I have heard people say is that it will distract you when you are shooting the pistol. I do not know about anyone else, but I do not hard focus on the backplate of my gun when I am shooting a pistol. I focus on the front sight post or the red dot/optic on the pistol. Can you see it move (sometimes) in your peripheral vision? Probably, will it ever effect you or your shooting? Only if you start to focus on it, which you should not, because you are focusing on other things! This is a nonsensical consideration untrained people have of something they do not understand or have any experience with.

Final Thoughts and Recommendations
I have said this before and I will probably continue to say it until Glock finally does it, the Striker Control Device needs to be an OEM part of the Glock pistol. Every single Glock pistol should come with one from the factory. This is exactly what was missing from the system when it was originally designed and having carried both a Glock with an SCD (off duty) and a Glock without an SCD (duty gun) I can tell you that I have great piece of mind with my SCD equipped pistol. I am not allowed by policy to install an SCD to my duty pistol, stupid and shortsighted, I agree.

If I had the ability to do I would carry on duty with the SCD. In fact if I would wager a hefty steak dinner that if officers were trained on it and how to properly use it in the field, they would also want to carry an SCD as well. As the description states it provides an additional layer of safety, and it does that very well and beyond anything the OEM backplate can ever accomplish.

Now that the Gen5 SCD has come out (on the left) it will begin to get a lot of use. As you can see by the condition of the top right SCD, which I have carried daily for over a year, there is only dirt which comes off very easily (bottom right was reduced pre-travel was cleaned prior to that photo) and maintains its overall functionality and condition.

If you have a Glock pistol which you carry and are even remotely concerned about "the lack of safety" which is really a joke in and of itself, as it applies to competence of skill and not the pistol itself (software, not hardware), you should pick one up. If you are a competent Glock shooter then you probably already have one, or three. This is the logical progression to the overall functionality of the Glock pistol system.

Read the full review here -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2018/03/striker-control-device-gadget_34.html

Pi3
03-22-18, 20:19
This should have been standard equipment 30 years ago.

SeriousStudent
03-22-18, 20:37
Nice review.

I have nine Glock pistols, and eight Striker Control Devices or "Gadgets". As soon as the G42 Gadget arrives at my house next month, they will all be equipped.

Seriously, these are a very useful addition, especially for AWIB. A LOT of ND's happen while reholstering, and the Gadget goes a very long way to preventing that.

Screwball
03-22-18, 21:20
When I first saw it, figured it was an added safety... and a load of BS.

Picked up a blem SCD, and was impressed on how it works. Had it matched to my Glock 30S, and will ride on it for as long as I own the gun.

https://i.imgur.com/mE8oKCv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UV11Qr1.jpg

joffe
03-23-18, 06:08
Happy to see the gen 5 compatible gadget is ready to roll. I had missed that piece of news.

03-23-18, 10:11
These gizmos are a very good idea, and a long time coming. One of those “why didn’t we have this 20 years ago?” things. I’m not sure why, but I’m a bit surprised to see this much love for them in this forum, though.

HeruMew
03-23-18, 13:04
Glad to see this thread getting good reception.

Mine got hit pretty hard with the naysayers.

I carried a Glock 26 for almost 2 years with the SCD. I bought one when it was on the Kickstarter. Towards the end. I wasn't a 4 yearer who waited that long. I waited like.. .5 months.

Nonetheless, I loved it. It was everything I never knew I didn't need.

I specify that, the Glock doesn't "need" this. Anyone saying that is forgetting how long the Glock has been carried just fine before.

It's a nice peace of mind. It should come with it from the factory. But, ultimately, it's not needed.

I truly love mine though... That's the main point.

ramairthree
03-23-18, 13:42
There was a big thread on these a while back.

It was basically these are the greatest thing in the world ever, they are genius vs
I have had my G19 for thirty years without incident, I am not going to start pretending it’s DA/SA gun with a hammer to put my thumb on now

With a cohort of the first group very unhappy with the second group because they knew the inventor really well, but in some sad situation he died, and not liking the device was a personal insult to their memory-
So there is some baseline emotional investment, non obejectivity.

I do not have any or plan to get one.
Some people with respectable creds do.

The guys who install these so they holster like their old da/SA guns, and pay attention to them, well, those attention payers are the guys who pretty much are no going to be NDers anyway.

The tools that put one on because they saw someone cool with one.... part of me says they still won’t pay attention, part of me says maybe it will do good.

CPM
03-24-18, 08:47
How many documented incidents are there of Glocks going off while reholstering?

hile
03-24-18, 11:59
Is this something that's mostly useful to people who carry appendix especially, or potentially IWB in general My only IWB holster is a RCS Vanguard3, and the suggested best practice is to remove the holster (which is a minimalist IWB that covers the U-boat and trigger guard only) from one's belt to reholster.

Voodoo_Man
03-24-18, 12:43

Tons. Have you googled it?

Hell I've personally seen several.

HeruMew
03-24-18, 13:24
Is this something that's mostly useful to people who carry appendix especially, or potentially IWB in general My only IWB holster is a RCS Vanguard3, and the suggested best practice is to remove the holster (which is a minimalist IWB that covers the U-boat and trigger guard only) from one's belt to reholster.

There are plenty of folks who reholster Appendix or IWB, especially those with Kydex

But: Yes.

As an owner of one of these, its a novelty item that permits the same... "Controls" while holstering with a DA/SA.

It is not needed. But nice. For some.

hile
03-24-18, 14:04
HeruMu, if I ran an IWB that covered the entire firearm (think a profile similar to my ALS hoslter, but inside my waistband), I might consider that, but not likely with one of the 'minimalist' ones. That said, I like the VG3.

CPM
03-24-18, 17:27
Tons. Have you googled it?

Hell I've personally seen several.

If you’ve personally witnessed several AIWB ND’s you’re hanging with the wrong crowd.

AIWB is like licking butthole. No one used to do it, and now that it’s cool everyone’s doing it.

Pi3
03-24-18, 18:28
The people who feel they need it and the people who feel they don't need it shouldn't be at odds. Whatever cranks your tractor.
It will allow more people to get into Glocks that felt safer in the past with a da/sa or with a manual safety.

ST911
03-24-18, 19:30
If you’ve personally witnessed several AIWB ND’s you’re hanging with the wrong crowd.

You're changing your question. You asked:

Those who carry guns professionally don't always get to choose their crowd. And if you're spending a lot of time on the range like OP, you'll see assorted antics with guns.

AIWB (deleted). No one used to do it, and now that it’s cool everyone’s doing it.

People have been doing it for a long time. It's just more mainstream now, whatever the users motivation.

Voodoo_Man
03-24-18, 21:08
Those who carry guns professionally don't always get to choose their crowd. And if you're spending a lot of time on the range like OP, you'll see assorted antics with guns.

People have been doing it for a long time. It's just more mainstream now, whatever the users motivation.

Correct, exactly what I was going to post.

To the topic:

I've never seen a person shooting themselves while carrying AIWB *with a modern kydex holster* - with that said I've seen plenty of hoodrat types shoot themselves in the junk AIWB without a holster with a Glock. Well, not exactly watch them do it but show up after someone calls 911.

AIWB, regardless of what people believe, has been around for a very long time, even before modern kydex holsters have been developed. We are just in an interesting place because technology and understanding of the niche and nuanced nature of AIWB have caught up enough where we can have AIWB specific items for the Glock system.

More on topic, the SCD is exactly what I have always wanted and didn't know I wanted it until I started using it. Holstering a glock AIWB, and looking around at the same time, is a fundamental aspect of training in logical protocols.

26 Inf
03-24-18, 22:59
Holstering a glock AIWB, and looking around at the same time, is a fundamental aspect of training in logical protocols.

I fundamentally disagree with scanning while holstering. I'm sure someone can invent some emergency scenario where it would be best to do so, but normally one would want to make sure they, and the area are secure before holstering.

Deliberate consideration during practice/training precludes turning the scan and holster into range ballet as many are wont to do.

An seemingly arcane, yet, valid point IMO.

RHINOWSO
03-24-18, 23:22
Interesting device and I'd have no issue using it if it came with my Glocks, but I really don't want to spend $75 per Glock I own.

Now if I AIWB, I'd likely get one for that pistol, alas I don't.

Then again I'm not Mr Speed Reholster-er and I take extra care ensuring the holster is free of obstructions as I do.

ramairthree
03-25-18, 08:32
SOB and appendix were there in the 80s.
Just much fewer people carrying then.

They were both out of favor for ages.
Then I would have to say AIWB has had a resurgence, because of the speed and comfort and concealability in comparison to various set ups.
And yes many do it to be cool because somebody cool does it.
It was something I was used to seeing people practice draw and fire with, but very conscientious recovery and reholstering. If not flat out holstering off the belt.

On the other hand, to be honest in the DA/SA with safety realm, reholstering in my era in tactical training was heavy on reholstering fast but safe and by position, without looking. Because of other stuff to be focused on like getting your primary back up, rolling some guy up, it was dark anyway, etc.
but it was all non IWB tactical holsters.

Voodoo_Man
03-25-18, 10:12
Seems to me that making sure the immediate area is secure before holstering is a fundamental tactic, not holstering while doing range ballet as many are wont to do.

An seemingly arcane, yet, valid point IMO.

I didn't type that, so please quote my posting accurately.

It is really easy to think of any particular scenario as being either on or off, but reality has a way of throwing a wrench into that. Looking into your holster when holstering is one of those things, in my opinion and experience, people get very wrong in the training community. It stems from many things, but reality is not one of them.

Always be looking for threats, always. Just because you believe a situation is over, ended or adjusted doesn't mean you can relax and put your gun away without continuing to look for threats.

26 Inf
03-25-18, 15:15
I didn't type that, so please quote my posting accurately.

It is really easy to think of any particular scenario as being either on or off, but reality has a way of throwing a wrench into that. Looking into your holster when holstering is one of those things, in my opinion and experience, people get very wrong in the training community. It stems from many things, but reality is not one of them.

Always be looking for threats, always. Just because you believe a situation is over, ended or adjusted doesn't mean you can relax and put your gun away without continuing to look for threats.

I edited my post. I thought that the.......and bold facing made it clear it was my edit. Sorry.

I didn't say said anything about relaxing once the gun was holstered, nor did I say anything about focusing/looking at your holster, although I don't regard it as a mortal sin.

My point was we need to make sure the area is secure before we think about holstering. Therefore, holstering and scanning at the same time should not be regarded as a fundamental aspect of training in logical protocols for those using AIWB carry, or any type carry for that matter.

A safety device, no matter how effective it is, should not serve as a short cut.

Voodoo_Man
03-25-18, 16:26
I edited my post. I thought that the.......and bold facing made it clear it was my edit. Sorry.

I didn't say said anything about relaxing once the gun was holstered, nor did I say anything about focusing/looking at your holster, although I don't regard it as a mortal sin.

My point was we need to make sure the area is secure before we think about holstering. Therefore, holstering and scanning at the same time should not be regarded as a fundamental aspect of training in logical protocols for those using AIWB carry, or any type carry for that matter.

A safety device, no matter how effective it is, should not serve as a short cut.

Scanning post contact is (and always should be) broken down into two sections.

First is always the immediate scan with your pistol out, scanning for additional threats which may exist because there was shooting.

Second is after enough has occurred which allows for reholstering, you should still be looking around, but the scan is not as active as the primary scan.

There is also something to be said about knowing where your equipment is located and being able to access it without thought, which would stem from continuous training.

CoryCop25
03-25-18, 16:47
I don't know if I would put this on all 15-20 of my Glocks but I am definitely interested in putting this on my main carry guns (G43 and G19).
We had a guy shoot himself in a class locally and it was bad for him but fortunately he survived. So this stuff does happen even with a kydex holster. This gadget would have definitely stopped this from occurring. I also agree on this needing to be an OEM part.

RHINOWSO
03-25-18, 17:22
I know they have their price point, but it's just steep IMO at $80-90 a piece. With shipping it's essentially $100 add on to a $400-500 gun.

<$50 and it would be much more approachable for me to do, as at a minimum it would be a G19, G42 and G43 - Ideally a second G19 as well.

And then again I don't see it as essential, but I'm Joe-Civie these days. I'm not cuffing or going hands on with anyone in the lethal force IF-THEN flow chart dictates it's time. But I understand that LEOs / Mil have different requirements, and that's A-OK. ;)

NWPilgrim
03-25-18, 19:42
I agree on the price point. This is a pretty minor adaption and it seems there a very generous premium included. I would expect more like $35-$45, and then they would probably sell easily. I am interested in the concept but I am not putting it on just one or two Glocks as I want to maintain consistency in operating them. And I sure can't afford to put it on all of them.

This seems targeted to departments who will get a hefty discount. At this price I don't see it becoming an automatic upgrade for individuals with several Glocks.

Voodoo_Man
03-26-18, 08:10
Highly disagree on price point.

The level of ingenuity, material selection, testing and the fact it is made in the USA should bring the SCD up to around the $100, if I was selling them. So considering they are cheaper than that means you are getting them for a steal of price.

This is a buy once cry once type of item, it will work on every Glock (of that particular type/gen) you will ever use. I think that's worth more $100.

RHINOWSO
03-26-18, 18:44
Highly disagree on price point.

The level of ingenuity, material selection, testing and the fact it is made in the USA should bring the SCD up to around the $100, if I was selling them. So considering they are cheaper than that means you are getting them for a steal of price.

This is a buy once cry once type of item, it will work on every Glock (of that particular type/gen) you will ever use. I think that's worth more $100.

Understood - we'll see how they fare as a company long term. I certainly wont be purchasing for the current price point, or your suggested price point. ;)

YVK
03-26-18, 20:52
I will preface this post by stating that I do not represent the Tau group or have any inside knowledge. That said, I believe that the price point was largely determined by manufacturing costs, or inability to bring them down without losing quality acceptable to people behind the project. Artificial increase in price without overwhelming demand doesn't do anyone any good, and the SCD folks are smart to know that. I am sure that they would've preferred this thing to be priced at a lower point. Tom is a member here, he might provide additional info.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-26-18, 20:56
I wish I could just try one out for my 43. I carry it on my vest under my shirt, when I take arrestees to the jail, I have to leave it in my car. Reholstering it is always a little tricky. I cant see the need for it (for me) in any other scenario, as my 21 is my duty gun and needs to be ready to go right off the bat, and my 19 is a carry gun that I feel I safely reholster.

MegademiC
03-26-18, 21:02
I wish I could just try one out for my 43. I carry it on my vest under my shirt, when I take arrestees to the jail, I have to leave it in my car. Reholstering it is always a little tricky. I cant see the need for it (for me) in any other scenario, as my 21 is my duty gun and needs to be ready to go right off the bat, and my 19 is a carry gun that I feel I safely reholster.

You do know the device doesnt change that, right?

I dont have any iwb holster that dont come off for reholstering. If that changes, id strongly consider one of these. Great concept.

RHINOWSO
03-26-18, 22:13
The real solution would be for Glock to do what Walther does with the PPS, have a striker indicator move aft through a hole in the backplate of the slide.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-26-18, 22:26
You do know the device doesnt change that, right?

I dont have any iwb holster that dont come off for reholstering. If that changes, id strongly consider one of these. Great concept.

I guess I was mistaken on how it works. I've watched some videos now, and I actually think it's a pretty good idea for everything but duty guns (why monkey with them?).

YVK
03-26-18, 23:36
The real solution would be for Glock to do what Walther does with the PPS, have a striker indicator move aft through a hole in the backplate of the slide.

Those are not close in how well they work for this particular purpose. DA/SA or LEM hammer is easier to trap than Gadget, you just need to put thumb somewhere there and provide some pressure. Gadget does require deliberate thumb placement and some weight to a pressure. The protruding striker indicator on Walther needs to be fought with to prevent trigger travel comparing to both.

HeruMew
03-27-18, 08:08
Those are not close in how well they work for this particular purpose. DA/SA or LEM hammer is easier to trap than Gadget, you just need to put thumb somewhere there and provide some pressure. Gadget does require deliberate thumb placement and some weight to a pressure. The protruding striker indicator on Walther needs to be fought with to prevent trigger travel comparing to both.

This is very much the case with the striker due to leverages.

For example: My P07 I can holster with my thumb naturally resting back onto the top point of the hammer giving me the most leverage. Considering trigger travel, it takes a minute amount of force, almost negligible, to be provided feedback and being aware that my trigger is being intruded on.

For my Glock, with the gadget, I would have to rest my whole thumb on the backplate and apply pressure. The lever on the striker runs the opposite way ( on the bottom of the slide, not the top like a hammer) and so the leverage placement needs a lot more force. Also, a 5-6 pound trigger compared to a 8-9 pound trigger on the P07.

Both worked, and they were close enough to give the same manual of arms when holstering, but there really is something to say about thumb pressuring a hammer instead of the striker plate. For the comment about the Walther Plate: I had a TP9 and Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle. Both of those were based off the Walter frame DA/SA striker guns with the decockers.

I could have never trusted relying on just a finger/thumb to stop the striker from coming through the striker cocked-indicator port. Not enough leverage points, way to much pressure to try and fight back in a condensed spot.

With the Gadget, I would find myself full combat grip the muzzle into the holster, rotate thumb back and essentially press the firearm into the holster with my thumb. That way I knew I would get a response to the firearm and be able to hold my grip and retract the firearm back out of the holster.

TF82
03-28-18, 18:23
I have to admit that one time I was holstering my duty pistol with my trigger finger indexed along the frame/slide area as we are trained to keep it. My finger hit the edge of the holster and then ended up inside the trigger guard and touched the trigger. I caught it before it was a problem, but if it was in a dynamic situation and not in a locker room it could have been a really bad day. Needless to say, I don't let my trigger finger touch the pistol at all when I holster anymore, but I would love to have the extra insurance of one of these. Of course where I really want one, on my duty pistol, it wouldn't be allowed. My personal holsters aren't shaped the same way, so I've never had an issue and I don't appendix carry but because of that previous experience I am considering picking a couple of these up.

flenna
03-28-18, 19:06
I have to admit that one time I was holstering my duty pistol with my trigger finger indexed along the frame/slide area as we are trained to keep it. My finger hit the edge of the holster and then ended up inside the trigger guard and touched the trigger. I caught it before it was a problem, but if it was in a dynamic situation and not in a locker room it could have been a really bad day. Needless to say, I don't let my trigger finger touch the pistol at all when I holster anymore, but I would love to have the extra insurance of one of these. Of course where I really want one, on my duty pistol, it wouldn't be allowed. My personal holsters aren't shaped the same way, so I've never had an issue and I don't appendix carry but because of that previous experience I am considering picking a couple of these up.

Years ago I was trained to extend my trigger finger away from the pistol and put my thumb on the back of the slide while reholstering. The thumb on the back of the slide was to keep it from going out of battery as it was reholstered. Both habits continue today. That being said I can see the usefulness of this striker control backplate.

hopetonbrown
03-30-18, 23:56
I know they have their price point, but it's just steep IMO at $80-90 a piece. With shipping it's essentially $100 add on to a $400-500 gun.

<$50 and it would be much more approachable

I agree on the price point. This is a pretty minor adaption and it seems there a very generous premium included. I would expect more like $35-$45

A set of fiber optic iron sights are around $80 from Dawson Precision, 10-8 Performance, Warren Tactical, etc. They're 2 pieces of barstock steel machined and then coated.

The Gadget is basically the same, but you expect them to be half the cost of the sights?

Straight Shooter
03-31-18, 06:37

Ive always hated those, for some reason.

RHINOWSO
03-31-18, 13:36
A set of fiber optic iron sights are around $80 from Dawson Precision, 10-8 Performance, Warren Tactical, etc. They're 2 pieces of barstock steel machined and then coated.

The Gadget is basically the same, but you expect them to be half the cost of the sights?

Well I see sights as essential, the gadget as only a nice to have, and even then only maybe.

Like everything else in a capitalist society, supply vs demand.

It just doesn’t trip the demand in me for that price point, and that is ok.

RHINOWSO
03-31-18, 13:37
Ive always hated those, for some reason.

And yet it works great. But the cool kids don’t use it. Lol