PDA

View Full Version : Longterm M&P problems??

JohnN
10-19-08, 14:59
Recently I have noticed many knowledgeable folks on several forums have started selling their M&P"s and accessories. Are there longterm problems with the M&P or are people simply changing to different platforms.

After being a 1911 aficionado for years weight became more of an issue for me and I switched to Glocks and then to M&P's. I currently have three M&P's and have had a very positive experience both reliability and accuracy wise.

sff70
10-19-08, 16:05
Actually, from what I've seen, the M&P is becoming more and more popular among "those in the know".

Some people don't care for the trigger reset (or lack thereof), but that can be improved upon.

Apart from broken strikers with early models (which S&W was very good about replacing), they seem to run very good.

Beat Trash
10-19-08, 17:28
Recently I have noticed many knowledgeable folks on several forums have started selling their M&P"s and accessories. Are there longterm problems with the M&P or are people simply changing to different platforms.

After being a 1911 aficionado for years weight became more of an issue for me and I switched to Glocks and then to M&P's. I currently have three M&P's and have had a very positive experience both reliability and accuracy wise.

My Department is going on three years of having around 1,200 M&P9's in the filed. No long term problems so far. Some of the guns have had rather large round counts through them.

The triggers seem to improve around the 5K mark. I'm actually carrying a duty weapon that I like, for once...

ToddG
10-20-08, 09:24
While my gun might be well known at this point, Smith has a number of test guns that have gone 20, 30, 40k rounds or more.

Any gun will have various wear issues if you shoot it that much without performing some preventative maintenance. People who claim to have 100k through guns without every replacing or breaking a part are either liars, bad counters, or touched by an angel. It simply doesn't happen in nature.

There are nowhere near as many hard use, long term use M&Ps out there are Glocks, etc. If you want to wait until 1,000 people on the internet have 50k rounds through their guns, you'll have to wait a while. In the meantime, buy a Glock.

If the M&P works better for you, though, I think Smith (and the agencies who've tested it so extensively over the past three years) has done a pretty good job of demonstrating the robustness of the design.