PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Shooting AR left-handed?

Doc Safari
03-22-18, 15:03
I've shot right-eye all my life.

With some vision issues in my right eye, I've lately started shooting carbines left-handed. (I shoot pistol both eyes open).

I took the eye dominance test for the first time in my life and found out I'm left-eye-dominant to my complete surprise.

Yesterday I took my carbine to the range with the Meprolight M21 on it, and shot left-handed the whole time.

I was surprised at how easy and without issue I adapted to it. In fact, the only surprise was how easy it was.

I manipulate the safety with my trigger finger; the bolt release too.

Since I've been using a BCM Gunfighter charging handle on that carbine, I didn't feel the need to buy an ambidextrous one. I had no trouble loading the weapon with my left hand althought it's not ideal. I may buy an ambidextrous handle at some point.

Those of you who've shot your carbines left-handed all your life, are there any pointers or hacks that you use?

elia.jon1
03-22-18, 15:22
i run colt safties because they can be switched, the mag catch can be worked as is or run a troy ambi unit. i also switched my sling mount to the ejection port side of the rifle
for the most part it is easy peasy

Doc Safari
03-22-18, 15:26
i run colt safties because they can be switched, the mag catch can be worked as is or run a troy ambi unit. i also switched my sling mount to the ejection port side of the rifle
for the most part it is easy peasy

I oriented my VCAS sling for left-handed use. Other than that I prefer to err on the side of Larry Vickers' opinion that you need to leave components stock because you never know when you'll end up with a right-handed carbine in an emergency that doesn't have the left-handed safety, mag catch, etc.

It IS a little awkward to work the safety with your trigger finger, but it's not too bad. I'd rather do that than install an ambi safety and get so used to it that I'm lost if I ever ended up with a strictly right-handed weapon in a SHTF situation or something.

Working the mag catch with the off hand does take longer than being able to hit the release with your trigger finger: I'll grant you that.

I started practicing releasing the empty mag with the fresh one already in my right hand and tripping the bolt release with my trigger finger on my left hand as soon as the new mag is in place. It was a little awkward, but I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to it.

HelloLarry
03-22-18, 15:56
I used my left thumb to hit the mag release. Rotate the butt out of my shoulder keeping my hand on the grip and the mag release kind of rotates into the extended thumb

MistWolf
03-22-18, 15:59
Just how likely are you to find yourself in a life & death struggle limited to a right hand only AR? I'm not a lefty, but I've been practicing manipulating my AR from the port side. I find ambidextrous controls very useful, regardless of which side I'm shooting from. For example, it's much easier to lock the bolt back without a magazine in the well if the bolt lock can be pressed with the trigger finger. I also favor a 45° ambi selector switch, even if I'm just shooting right handed. I don't think ambi controls are absolutely necessary, but they improve the shooting experience significantly.

Doc Safari
03-22-18, 16:03
I used my left thumb to hit the mag release. Rotate the butt out of my shoulder keeping my hand on the grip and the mag release kind of rotates into the extended thumb

I'm having trouble picturing this. With your left hand on the pistol grip are you saying you can rotate the rifle in such a way that your left thumb can find the mag release?

Doc Safari
03-22-18, 16:04
Just how likely are you to find yourself in a life & death struggle limited to a right hand only AR?

I live in a small town and I literally have never even seen an AR with ambi controls, or a left-handed Stag AR, except at gun shows.

TomMcC
03-22-18, 16:12
I'm left handed and shoot my AR's like most right handers I see. I do have ambi selectors...that's about it. I drop the mag with my right thumb on the way to grab another mag.

Bob Sacamano
03-22-18, 16:45
Only things beneficial are an ambi mag catch/selector.

Obviously, sling mounts on the right side are a must.

You may find yourself appreciating an upper without a FA and not having the charging handle latch rubbing against body. Do not get an ambi CH. That is one of the perks of using a standard AR left handed, well, in addition to being able to quickly look into the action. Standard CH and bolt catch seem like they were designed for left handed use.

If you still shoot a pistol right handed, you may have some gear set up issues but transistions from rifle to pistol can be faster.

Just wait until you start using shotguns left handed....

HelloLarry
03-22-18, 16:49
https://i.imgur.com/ihLOJNO.jpg
Better? Keep in mind that your right hand is still on the forearm, rotating the rifle about the grip.

Doc Safari
03-22-18, 16:57
https://i.imgur.com/ihLOJNO.jpg
Better? Keep in mind that your right hand is still on the forearm, rotating the rifle about the grip.

Interesting.

Anybody have any thoughts on this method versus dropping the mag with your right thumb as you get ready to insert the new magazine with your right hand?

HelloLarry
03-22-18, 17:12
I insert mags with my left hand too.
Always keep my right hand on the forearm.

vicious_cb
03-22-18, 17:46
Just how likely are you to find yourself in a life & death struggle limited to a right hand only AR? I'm not a lefty, but I've been practicing manipulating my AR from the port side. I find ambidextrous controls very useful, regardless of which side I'm shooting from. For example, it's much easier to lock the bolt back without a magazine in the well if the bolt lock can be pressed with the trigger finger. I also favor a 45° ambi selector switch, even if I'm just shooting right handed. I don't think ambi controls are absolutely necessary, but they improve the shooting experience significantly.

I dont know about life or death but there was a time where I had to demonstrate switching to weak side barricade drills with a random AR off the rack in front of 20 or so students on demand. Suffice to say there was thumbing of invisible safety levers and general cluster ****ery associated with my muscle memory and not having ambi controls installed. I immediately went back to all stock controls because I feel its more beneficial for me to be able to run an AR off the rack anywhere the world without training scars of ambi controls. What are the chances of that happening, probably pretty small but YMMV.

Doc Safari
03-22-18, 17:50
Just as kind of a trivia "FYI", I noticed that a lot of the shooters on the Sportsman and/or Outdoor channel shooting shows use their AR's left-handed. I plan to watch what they do for tips as well. The percentage of southpaws seems way more than you'd expect, so there's never a deficit of shooters to watch!

Zirk208
03-22-18, 18:00
Only things beneficial are an ambi mag catch/selector.

Obviously, sling mounts on the right side are a must.

You may find yourself appreciating an upper without a FA and not having the charging handle latch rubbing against body. Do not get an ambi CH. That is one of the perks of using a standard AR left handed, well, in addition to being able to quickly look into the action. Standard CH and bolt catch seem like they were designed for left handed use.

If you still shoot a pistol right handed, you may have some gear set up issues but transistions from rifle to pistol can be faster.

Just wait until you start using shotguns left handed....

I'm not following. I'm a lefty and I run my CH with my support hand only. Doing malfunction drills on the clock for work (double-feeds), I was much smoother with an ambi-handle, than without. With a standard CH I was having to reach over the top to run it with my support hand. It put a lot of torque on the CH as well.

With an ambi CH, I just grab it and go, straight back and inline.

Do you run yours with your support hand or primary hand?

Diamondback
03-22-18, 18:15
Short-arm/Small-hand Southpaw here. I'm only suggesting ideas to try, but these have worked for me in dry-fire tryouts.

I am obliged to note that I use a rather odd technique - since I can't get a good stock-shoulder fit and usually build pistols, I usually chickenwing with stock/brace in the crook of my elbow. Looks funky, but seems to fit my particular body-shape and build problems well.

Noting that, I'm a firm believer in "NEVER take your grip hand off the grip for ANY reason while in action," so...
>Charging Handle: I use my right hand, index finger on latch. This is one of the few times when a right-side side-charger might be helpful.
>Ejection: If you can get a small enough brasscatcher, by all means DO mount one. If you use a bladed stance like me, that means hot brass straight into face/chest where righties can get away with it.
>Bolt Catch: Reacharound and slap with support hand--my stubby little baby trigger-finger can reach an ambi mag-catch fine, but can't get the leverage to work the BC.
>Mag Catch: I like the Arms Unlimited ambi, and train to run it both right-thumb and left trigger-finger.
>Safety: Ambi, definitely. If I can't get an Ambi and an stuck with normal, I carry off-safe with empty chamber and the CH is my safety lever.

Short on AR experience, but long on left-hand LIFE experience. :)

marco.g
03-22-18, 18:19
I’ve only ever shot lefty and just recently put kac selectors on my rifles. Rest is all standard parts.

I’m not a fan of breaking the firing grip so I hit the mag release with right thumb and then bolt release with trigger finger.

Aetius
03-22-18, 18:25
I’m left handed and I don’t have ambi anything. I use my left index (trigger) finger for the selector and bolt release. I use BCM Mod 4’s and operate with left index and thumb. Mag release is right thumb.

Bob Sacamano
03-22-18, 18:29
Primary. Possible that is not the best way. Call it residual FAL behavior.

IMO, there are a few benefits to not having an ambi CH for a lefty. Movement, comfort, sling use, and no OOB issues.

Hard to use the suport hand if slung up which is why the preference for an ambi mag catch as well.

Seems like a brass catcher would block a lot of FOV. Never had an issue with brass.

Bolt catch can be operated with left index finger.

Standard mag catch with right thumb. Ambi mag catch with left index.

bamashooter
03-22-18, 18:33
Looks like everyone has you covered. Just make sure your future weapons have deflectors or kick the brass out to the left. My first issue M16 had no deflector and on multiple occasions I would catch one near the eye, down the shirt or one time I had one stick between my chin strap and neck. Burned like hell. I finally cagiwaed me one of those deflectors that had a detent mechanism which locked into the handle. Life saver.

MegademiC
03-22-18, 19:14
Interesting.

Anybody have any thoughts on this method versus dropping the mag with your right thumb as you get ready to insert the new magazine with your right hand?

When shooting left handed, i use right hand to press mag release and strip the mag, then use right hand to insert fresh.
Run both ways on a timer and see which is more efficient. I have not tried the referenced method yet.

Doc Safari
03-22-18, 19:20
Looks like everyone has you covered. Just make sure your future weapons have deflectors or kick the brass out to the left. My first issue M16 had no deflector and on multiple occasions I would catch one near the eye, down the shirt or one time I had one stick between my chin strap and neck. Burned like hell. I finally cagiwaed me one of those deflectors that had a detent mechanism which locked into the handle. Life saver.

I don't think I'd own an AR without the deflector.

As for other suggestions: I'll have to practice reaching over to charge the weapon with my right hand. I tend to agree that "never, ever, ever, never take your trigger hand off the pistol grip" should be taught as gospel; however, that might not always be possible.

26 Inf
03-22-18, 19:37
Just as kind of a trivia "FYI", I noticed that a lot of the shooters on the Sportsman and/or Outdoor channel shooting shows use their AR's left-handed. I plan to watch what they do for tips as well. The percentage of southpaws seems way more than you'd expect, so there's never a deficit of shooters to watch!

That is because lefthanded people are inherently brighter and much more photogenic than your run of the mill right hander.

26 Inf
03-22-18, 20:13
I'm a lefty and for the past year or so I have been busily putting ambi-controls on all the rifles I keep. That being said, a decade plus of learning work-arounds leaves most of them unused.

Safety - in today's world why would anyone not run an ambi-saefty? I use the thumb to disengage and the trigger finger to engage. That makes sure my booger-picker is off the trigger. I think using the trigger finger to engage is a remnant of being a lefty and using non-ambi selectors, engaging the safety with my trigger finger was the only part of the process I didn't cuss.

Charging handle - originally I learned to use my support hand to hold the rifle in my shoulder and run the charging handle with my strong hand. Then one day, all on my own, I went, duh, why not come over the top and get it with the knife-edge of your support hand trigger finger. Been doing it that way ever since, although I do have some nice ambi-charging handles. To lock the action to the rear I use my trigger-finger - I have slowly been replace bolt catches with the Geissele Mari-Time Catch which makes it effortless, but I could also reach the stock catch with my trigger finger.

Mag removal - right thumb depresses mag release and right hand strips mag, my KAC's and EMR-A's pretty much stay unused

Mag insertion and releasing bolt catch - use right hand, seat mag and tug, then make an 'L' with my thumb and index finger (basically spread them apart), run web of support hand up front of mag well to bottom of handguard/rail, rotate thumb up which places palm of hand against mag well, your index finger is properly positioned to press in to release bolt catch. Once again, I can release the bolt catch with my trigger finger, but have the workaround so ingrained that I usually don't give it a thought.

That is what works for me.

czgunner
03-22-18, 20:41
I learned to use a righty only safety in the army and sure didn’t like it.
I run an ambi safety and ambi charging handles on everything.
I have no problem right thumb dropping mags and left index bolt releasing.
Granted I’m not running at competition speeds.

Achilles11B
03-22-18, 22:44
I’ve been a life-long southpaw and have the benefit of receiving instruction by some fine Army 11B NCO’s who didn’t give one good damn about my handedness. They only cared about results and results came with lots and lots and lots of repetition. There’s a lot of good tips in this thread, find the ones that work and then work them to death.

That said, I’m a fan of BAD Levers. I know they don’t receive a lot of love around here and that’s ok. Try one out and see how it works for you.

Savior 6
03-23-18, 03:02
Primary. Possible that is not the best way. Call it residual FAL behavior.

IMO, there are a few benefits to not having an ambi CH for a lefty. Movement, comfort, sling use, and no OOB issues.

Hard to use the suport hand if slung up which is why the preference for an ambi mag catch as well.

Seems like a brass catcher would block a lot of FOV. Never had an issue with brass.

Bolt catch can be operated with left index finger.

Standard mag catch with right thumb. Ambi mag catch with left index.
I have one AR with an ambi CH and two ARs w/o; neither have given me any problems however the ambi-CH is nice for locking the bolt open as you simply use your left trigger finger to press the bolt catch while pulling the CH to the rear with your right hand but I see the merit in avoiding the OOB issues. One caveat for this technique is to have a BUIS that has a low profile windage knob as a large/standard knob will get int the way of the charging handle and release lever on the right side.

I don't think I'd own an AR without the deflector.

As for other suggestions: I'll have to practice reaching over to charge the weapon with my right hand. I tend to agree that "never, ever, ever, never take your trigger hand off the pistol grip" should be taught as gospel; however, that might not always be possible.
I disagree with this as it seems easier to orient the weapon to fire on a target with the support (right) hand and simply grab the pistol grip to manipulate the trigger than it is to try to aim one-handed at a target while maintaining the fire control grip and bring your support hand up to properly aim the rifle. I can keep the rifle on target with my support hand an shoulder but cannot with my firing hand and shoulder. Perhaps I would feel different if I wouldn't have been handed a right-handers weapon from the get-go.

That is because lefthanded people are inherently brighter and much more photogenic than your run of the mill right hander.
Agreed!!! :)

Of course I'm speaking from the perspective of being blessed left handed but I find SPORTS/tap-rack-bang more beneficial from the left-handers side of things as you can keep good observation of the chamber to detect what stoppage drill is needed. I prefer the ambi safeties and mag release on my rifles but have been hindered when manipulating a standard AR; it doesn't add much time but it does add time. The non-ambi safety may take some getting used to. You can use your trigger finger to sweep the safety down and back or you can keep your left thumb on the left side of the weapon for faster safety manipulation up (trigger finger) and down (thumb). Welcome to the world of after thought because that's what most of the ambi controls started as.

Tuukka
03-23-18, 04:03
I am left handed.

You can get by pretty well with standard AR controls.

But, I have chosen a long time ago to have

- Ambi safety
- Ambi mag release ( currently Norgon, with a larger paddle welded on )
- Ambi charging handle ( currently Raptor AXTS )

HelloLarry
03-23-18, 07:14
Using the right hand to release the mag doesn't work very well when you are slung up, nor does it work well when you have front-heavy rifle, even if the balance point is at the D ring.

"Never take your hand off the pistol grip" - I have no idea where that came from, but for accuracy, you want to maintain your forward hand position. There could be other considerations but I don't know what they are.

At one time I had an ambi safety. Hated it. The standard controls are ambi enough for me. This isn't like a bolt action.

Bob Sacamano
03-23-18, 07:43
https://i.imgflip.com/26z93p.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/26z93p)

militarymoron
03-23-18, 07:47
I'm a lefty and have all ambi controls on my ARs. My tip: install ambi controls. If not, just practice with what you have. That's about it.

26 Inf
03-23-18, 08:49
Using the right hand to release the mag doesn't work very well when you are slung up, nor does it work well when you have front-heavy rifle, even if the balance point is at the D ring.

I run two-points with the front attachment forward, generally near the end of the rail, I haven't noticed a problem, but I imagine that is more a matter of where the sling mounts are located.

Your experiences are a perfect example of how use should drive the operation.

Doc Safari
03-23-18, 08:56
Not to beat a dead horse: but the reason to keep the rifle bone stock (right-handed) is because in a SHTF situation you won't necessarily end up with a weapon that has all your fancy ambi controls.

Yes, left-handed on a right-handed AR can be an ergonomic challenge, but I prefer to practice with what you're likely to encounter 99% of the time.

matemike
03-23-18, 09:23
Im left handed thru and thru. I tried a left handed selector. Didn't like it. I was already too accustomed to the right handed one, I just flip it with my trigger finger. I have a rifle with an ambi selector and I suppose that's the way to go.
My absolute favorite piece for being left handed is an extended charging handle release. Haven't tried an ambi one, but with a long release latch I can really rip it quick without missing with my strong hand.

rockapede
03-23-18, 09:45
I shoot rifles left handed (I’m a righty but very cross dominant). While I run drills on occasion using only right handed controls, I see zero reason for a lefty to live with them permanently. I run ambi charging handles, safety selectors, and mag catches. I don’t bother with the bolt catch because I actually think the standard one is better for a lefty than a righty.

MegademiC
03-23-18, 10:33
Not to beat a dead horse: but the reason to keep the rifle bone stock (right-handed) is because in a SHTF situation you won't necessarily end up with a weapon that has all your fancy ambi controls.

Yes, left-handed on a right-handed AR can be an ergonomic challenge, but I prefer to practice with what you're likely to encounter 99% of the time.

I agree one should learn to operate whats out there, but nearly all my training is with my rifles.
The chances of using my rifles is slim, the chance of getting a battlefield pickup in the middle of a firefight and having to do 1.5s reloads and remidial action is low enough that im comfortable with basic knowledge of a standard rifle.

26 Inf
03-23-18, 10:37
Deleted - MegademiC handled it better than I could.

Doc Safari
03-23-18, 10:40
Honestly, I think a civilian worrying about a battlefield pick-up is not a likely scenario.

You're probably right. The rare Hurricane Katrina scenario probably will never affect me or anyone I know.

I will say, however, that the reason you put back spares, emergency supplies, and whatnot is because you never know when it's going to be your unlucky day.

Another consideration: since my girlfriend shoots right-handed, if she had to use my weapon I don't want a bunch of unfamiliar doodads on it.

I use an ambi-safety, the moment my thumb swipes down and misses the lever, I'll realize the rifle only has a right hand safety - not going to freeze, simply switch to another method.

Which raises a good point....train to THINK no matter what you encounter.

militarymoron
03-23-18, 11:34
Another consideration: since my girlfriend shoots right-handed, if she had to use my weapon I don't want a bunch of unfamiliar doodads on it.

Ambi controls don't change how a right-hander operates the weapon. A right-hander can ignore them if they want. People make a bigger deal of it than it really is. Unfamiliar doodads? Show her a couple of times and she'll get it, unless she's the sort of person who can't get into an unfamiliar car and figure out how to drive it.

If you're worried about not being able to operate a standard AR just because you have ambi controls on your personal weapon, you should also worry about not being able to operate non-AR weapons. Who knows what you're going to pick up.

Doc Safari
03-23-18, 11:47
Ambi controls don't change how a right-hander operates the weapon. A right-hander can ignore them if they want. People make a bigger deal of it than it really is.

You're right. I'm half asleep today. What was I thinking? I was thinking about my girlfriend and not confusing her as she's a "newbie" for the most part.

Unfamiliar doodads? Show her a couple of times and she'll get it, unless she's the sort of person who can't get into an unfamiliar car and figure out how to drive it.

My girlfriend is enthusiastic, but as far as skills she's almost a "non-gun" person. I have had to host several training sessions with her and her friends. I know next time we shoot AR's I'm going to have to go through the "don't ride the charging handle" speech all over again.

If you're worried about not being able to operate a standard AR just because you have ambi controls on your personal weapon, you should also worry about not being able to operate non-AR weapons. Who knows what you're going to pick up.

You make some good points, but this one most likely doesn't apply to me.

I was getting at "muscle memory". I probably didn't explain it too well, but it's like switching from a 1911 to a Glock and reaching for a safety that's not there. It's a matter of speed.

Under stress, you're going to go for what you're used to using, and if it suddenly isn't there it may confuse and distract you long enough to slow you down unacceptably in a firefight.

If you train yourself to use ambi controls and use only ambi controls exclusively, you'll be slowed down under stress when you have to use a right-handed weapon. I've always read that you fight how you train, so I don't want "extras" that might not be there in a crunch. I guess it's the same reason I don't use BAD levers or AFG's/VFG's. I tend to keep everything Plain Jane and learn to use a variety of optics so I've got a basic familiarity with whatever weapon I'm stuck with, whether it has iron sights, Aimpoint, MRO, ACOG, etc. I also learned different weapons back in the day when I had money. Only the FAL and Steyr AUG escaped my getting at least a basic familiarity with them.

Just my opinion, but I religiously enforce KISS on my weapons. No extras allowed unless it's so common that it's a no-brainer (like optics versus irons for example).

26 Inf
03-23-18, 12:29
You're probably right. The rare Hurricane Katrina scenario probably will never affect me or anyone I know.

I will say, however, that the reason you put back spares, emergency supplies, and whatnot is because you never know when it's going to be your unlucky day.

Which raises a good point....train to THINK no matter what you encounter.

Wow, you read that quick, as soon as I saw MegademiC's I deleted mine, LOL.

Doc Safari
03-23-18, 12:45
Wow, you read that quick, as soon as I saw MegademiC's I deleted mine, LOL.

Well, us lefties are not only brighter and more photogenic, but read faster too....

cop1211
03-23-18, 21:59
Im a lefty closing in on 30 years shooting ar's.

Ambi charging handle, ambi selector, ambi mag release, on standard lowers I use the Troy ambi mag release. Ive also got 2 KAC rifles that of course come fully ambi.
I release the mag with left hand trigger finger, insert mag with right hand, if you practice shooting/mag releases and inserts like anything muscle memory will build and it will become second nature.

MistWolf
03-24-18, 11:54
...the reason to keep the rifle bone stock (right-handed) is because in a SHTF situation you won't necessarily end up with a weapon that has all your fancy ambi controls.

What you are likely to encounter 99% of the time is the firearm you have on you 99% of the time. When trouble strikes, if you don't have a firearm on you, you will be fighting without one. There won't be a stand set up to pass out firearms to the unarmed.

But, for the sake of argument, let's say someone was passing out firearms to the unarmed. What's to say that what they hand you will even be an AR, right handed or one with fancy ambi controls?

I'm not saying you have to equip your ARs with ambi controls, or that you even should. I'm saying getting stuck with a right handed AR in a fight is pretty low on the list of Things Dat Git You Kilt On Da Streetz.