PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Formula One racing season

austinN4
03-25-18, 08:43
Lots of changes:

1. Technical and other changes - https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs.html

2. NBC is out and ESPN is in as the US live race broadcaster; however, Sky UK is now the content producer - Sky https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_UK

3. Alfa Romeo is backing the Sauber team this year; although still Ferrari powered - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134454/sauber-reveals-alfa-romeobacked-2018-f1-car

What I liked about the first race - Kimi on pole (but finished 3rd) and Seb winning, and Alonso finishing 5th - https://www.formula1.com/en/latest.html

What I didn't like - the race announcers from Sky. They were frantic the whole qualifying and race, and sounded more like horse racing announcers. Also, I had trouble with their British accents, which I didn't have with Hobbs & crew (British & Aussie) the many years they announced the past racing seasons.

VARIABLE9
03-25-18, 12:51
Lots of changes:

1. Technical and other changes - https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs.html

2. NBC is out and ESPN is in as the US live race broadcaster; however, Sky UK is now the content producer - Sky https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_UK

3. Alfa Romeo is backing the Sauber team this year; although still Ferrari powered - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134454/sauber-reveals-alfa-romeobacked-2018-f1-car

What I liked about the first race - Kimi on pole (but finished 3rd) and Seb winning, and Alonso finishing 5th - https://www.formula1.com/en/latest.html

What I didn't like - the race announcers from Sky. They were frantic the whole qualifying and race, and sounded more like horse racing announcers. Also, I had trouble with their British accents, which I didn't have with Hobbs & crew (British & Aussie) the many years they announced the past racing seasons.
Ugh spoilers (I expected), I hadn’t watched the race yet due to time zones. The two big issues for me are the safety cages, it makes the car look hideous, and the loss of Hobbs and Matchett. Otherwise stoked about Kimi, post qualifying clip about him partying was very funny.

Alex V
03-25-18, 12:51
The sky anouncers are terrible. Coverage through ESPN blows.

The first race was awesome! Forza Ferrari!

Coal Dragger
03-25-18, 13:22
I’ve tried to like Formula 1, but still find it to be insufferably boring.

Rather watch World Rally, Paris Dakar (or wherever they race to now), Trophy Trucks, or paint drying. NASCAR might even be more entertaining.

austinN4
03-25-18, 13:28
Coverage through ESPN blows.
In fairness, all ESPN does is broadcast, at least so far the content that Sky UK provides. Might be different for the N & S American races. ESPN could and most likely would be better than SKY.

austinN4
03-25-18, 13:35
Ugh spoilers (I expected), I hadn’t watched the race yet due to time zones.

Since the race was broadcast live in the US, would't we all see it at the same time regardless of the time zone we were in?

VARIABLE9
03-25-18, 13:55
Since the race was broadcast live in the US, would't we all see it at the same time regardless of the time zone we were in?

It was on around midnight, I dvr’d it. I meant international tz’s not domestic.

TAZ
03-25-18, 14:10
I didn’t realize they switched networks. Ugh. Now I’ll have to watch the re-broadcast at 8 CST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austinN4
03-25-18, 14:16
I didn’t realize they switched networks. Ugh. Now I’ll have to watch the re-broadcast at 8 CST

You might want to DVR it if you can. I am glad i did as the SKY announcers were so bad I FF'd it while watching and only slowed it to normal when there was something i wanted to see in more detail. Watched the whole race in about 15 minutes, LOL!

Alex V
03-25-18, 14:24
In fairness, all ESPN does is broadcast, at least so far the content that Sky UK provides. Might be different for the N & S American races. ESPN could and most likely would be better than SKY.

FP1 and FP2 are on ESPN3 which means I can't DVR it since its only online streaming for me through my smart Tv.

FP3 was pre-empted by some college baseball game and then some dumb review show. It was on an hour later and the listing was never updated so I DVR'ed some useless crap.

The pre race show was 10 minutes of silent camera shots of Turn 8. Then it was 10 minutes of some random review show having nothing to do with F1, then 10 minutes of Sky coverage of the pre race show.

Since Sky doesn't take commercials and ESPN does, the commercial would just happen, Interipting the commentators mid sentence. Really annoying.

The whole thing was a shit show. Thank god for a Ferrari win otherwise I may have shot my TV.

yoni
03-25-18, 14:26
I really miss Hobbs and Matchett and ESPN broadcast people just suck and the way they were calling the race.

Until the virtual safety car, I was afraid it was going to be just the same as last year that the Mercedes cars were just so much better that the Ferrari boys didn't stand a chance.

But after Vettel took the lead he was able to hold it, so I hope we have a great season of racing.

The halo's suck, but I am not willing to risk a drivers life or health cause I think something sucks.

austinN4
03-25-18, 16:01
..........and ESPN broadcast people just suck and the way they were calling the race.
Those were SKY people, no?

Yes, according to this: https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/02/us-fans-to-get-sky-sports-f1-coverage-on-espn-and-abc/
Be sure and read the recent comments. We are not alone! Better yet, leave a comment of your own!

_Stormin_
03-25-18, 18:02
Didn’t hate the first broadcast of the season. Shame that McLaren appears to be a bit slow on the pace, but that’s not a big shock.

Adrenaline_6
03-26-18, 07:37
I stopped watching F1 awhile back. In racing there should be passing. Pit passing doesn't count. Not sure if the rule changes have made things better. MotoGP and World SBK...now that's racing.

austinN4
04-07-18, 11:23
Bahrain qualifying - all red front row - V in 1 and R in 2 - All silver second row.
Sky coverage still sucks - camera work is good but still having trouble understanding the announcers, especially the one that calls the action, Croft I think his name is.

Talon167
04-07-18, 18:12
Was hoping Kimi would get P1 since he was the guy to beat in P2 & P3... and basically all of qual until the last lap. Hamilton to start P8 after a grid penalty (the grid penatlies are going to get out of hand this year). Kudos to ESPN for running the whole qual without any commercials. Anyway, go red guys.

Alex V
04-08-18, 08:24
Forza Ferrari!

With Max in P15 I'm hoping no one crashes into Vet or Rai and we can have a clean race. Fingers crossed.

Talon167
04-08-18, 09:44
Forza Ferrari!

With Max in P15 I'm hoping no one crashes into Vet or Rai and we can have a clean race. Fingers crossed.

You know, watching Maxi-pad be unable to control the ass end of his car (AGAIN!) in Q1 really made me smile for the same reason.

yoni
04-08-18, 11:50
WOW!

What a great race.

Alex V
04-08-18, 11:58
Mixed emotion. Happy for Seb and for the team. Sad for Kimi and the mechanic. Hope he recovers soon. Nasty broken leg.

austinN4
04-08-18, 13:27
Mixed emotion. Happy for Seb and for the team. Sad for Kimi and the mechanic. Hope he recovers soon. Nasty broken leg.
Yep - great for Seb, but sucks to be Kimi today. That was a very very ugly early release. In that last couple of laps I thought Bottas was going to get Seb but glad he didn't. Also glad Mercedes didn't force Bottas to yield to Hamilton.

TAZ
04-09-18, 20:46
Effing ESPN and Uverse. 2 hour broadcast and my DVR recorded all the reatrded pre-race crap and cut off after lap 17. Have to see what kind of stupid I get recorded this week......

_Stormin_
04-10-18, 05:36
Effing ESPN and Uverse. 2 hour broadcast and my DVR recorded all the reatrded pre-race crap and cut off after lap 17. Have to see what kind of stupid I get recorded this week......
I had to get smart and record an extra hour and a half after this debacle a few years back...

_Stormin_
04-10-18, 05:36
My bad. iPhone Double Tap

mnoe82
04-10-18, 05:48
I’m a Hamilton fan but very glad to see the red cars being competitive this year. If Ferrari ain’t winning races, F1 suffers. That triple overtake will go down as one of Hamilton’s career highlights for sure. Awesome GP. That Kimi pit stop was totally bonkers. They didn’t even have the tire taken off yet, let alone green lit for release?!?

Alex V
04-10-18, 06:00
I’m a Hamilton fan but very glad to see the red cars being competitive this year. If Ferrari ain’t winning races, F1 suffers. That triple overtake will go down as one of Hamilton’s career highlights for sure. Awesome GP. That Kimi pit stop was totally bonkers. They didn’t even have the tire taken off yet, let alone green lit for release?!?

No that's the problem, all the green lights were on. The torque from each wheel gun is electronically monitored and when it reaches the proper value it lights green. Four green lights and the main green comes on for release. All the light lit up green. Kimi went.

Maybe the left rear was stuck and the torque value light was green because the gun couldn't break the wheel but loose. Not sure. Either way, Kimi got all green lights and went.

austinN4
06-23-18, 14:03
Poor Alonso - both McLarens eliminated in P1. I'll bet he is really sorry he went with that team.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11413000/french-gp-mclaren-hit-new-low-and-suffer-worst-qualifying-of-f1-2018

It isn't as if he has lost his ability to drive - the Toyota he co-drove at Le Mans finished 1st overall.

austinN4
07-01-18, 09:55
No spoilers here, but it you didn't watch the Austrian GP this morning you should. Lots of drama!

Alex V
07-01-18, 12:52
No spoilers here, but it you didn't watch the Austrian GP this morning you should. Lots of drama!

It was 98% enjoyable for me lol

Talon167
07-03-18, 09:04
Nine races into the season and we've had:

3 Merc victories
3 Ferrari victories
3 RBR victories.

The driver's championship is separated by one point, and the constructor's by 10. Driver positions 4, 5, and 6 are only four points delta total, with 3rd (Kimi) a further five.

Been quite exciting thus far, especially given the last few years.

Forza Ferrari!

austinN4
07-14-18, 18:04
How about the finish to the British GP a week ago?Just a couple of seconds covering the top 4. This middle section of the season is turning out to be great!

Alex V
07-15-18, 09:49
How about the finish to the British GP a week ago?Just a couple of seconds covering the top 4. This middle section of the season is turning out to be great!

If not for the two Safety cars Lewis would have been about 20 second back. Personally, Id rather it be more like 2003 or 2004 but I'll take it lol.

austinN4
07-22-18, 10:00
More drama at Germany, but no spoiler here. I must, however, give SKY their due as their coverage of the races I now believe to be superior due to no commercials and great graphics. My only gripe is still not being able to understand several (not all) of the announcers, specifically Martin Brundle and screaming Paul Di Resta.

Alex V
07-22-18, 17:19
I don't want to talk about it.

austinN4
07-22-18, 17:55
I don't want to talk about it.

I figured that might be the case.

austinN4
08-05-18, 08:16
RICCIARDO TO RENAULT: What now for the 2019 driver market?
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2018/8/ricciardo-to-renault--what-now-for-the-2019-driver-market-.html

mnoe82
09-02-18, 15:41
Monza was a GP for the ages. I won’t play spoiler for all y’all that haven’t watched yet. It’s a must see GP

yoni
09-03-18, 00:00
Monza was full of drama, just didn't have then ending I wanted.

Alex V
09-03-18, 08:52
Monza was a GP for the ages. I won’t play spoiler for all y’all that haven’t watched yet. It’s a must see GP

I'm glad I was at a 3 day Chris Costa class and missed it.

austinN4
09-03-18, 10:13
Monza was full of drama, just didn't have then ending I wanted.

Ditto

austinN4
10-21-18, 15:07
About time Kimi! Congrats!

mnoe82
10-21-18, 15:30
Very happy to see Kimi get a win

yoni
10-21-18, 21:59
Seb is losing it, under the pressure.

I am getting tired of the current situation in F1, the last number of years it seems that of the top brands we also seem to get one factory that is just that little bit better. So it is a race for who can guess how to build the best car for that year under the F1 regs.

A part of me would love to se F1 with everyone racing the same cars, so it becomes a drivers race and not a race for better technology.

austinN4
10-22-18, 05:42
It would certainly seem so. Edited to add: He has always seemed immature and a hot head to me, such as the wheel banging incident with Hamilton. And all the while Kimi, the Iceman, stays cool and calm, at least on the outside.

Alex V
10-22-18, 12:46
I stopped watching since the result is all but inevitable, I am glad I recorded it thought since Kimi won. He has and always will be my favorite driver. My cat is named Kimi :-D

I am getting tired of the current situation in F1, the last number of years it seems that of the top brands we also seem to get one factory that is just that little bit better. So it is a race for who can guess how to build the best car for that year under the F1 regs.

A part of me would love to se F1 with everyone racing the same cars, so it becomes a drivers race and not a race for better technology.

That's called NASCAR. F1 was always about who could build the best car within the Formula. Hens, Formula1. As much as it pains me as a Tifoso to have not seen a Championship in 10 years, I would not change that aspect of the sport. What I would change is the stupid limit on testing, I want to see unlimited testing like it was in the early 2000's, and I want to see a tire war again. No DRS, no artificial means of passing. No electric bullcrap. Basically, I want 2000-2008 back.

Adrenaline_6
10-22-18, 13:28
I stopped watching since the result is all but inevitable, I am glad I recorded it thought since Kimi won. He has and always will be my favorite driver. My cat is named Kimi :-D

That's called NASCAR. F1 was always about who could build the best car within the Formula. Hens, Formula1. As much as it pains me as a Tifoso to have not seen a Championship in 10 years, I would not change that aspect of the sport. What I would change is the stupid limit on testing, I want to see unlimited testing like it was in the early 2000's, and I want to see a tire war again. No DRS, no artificial means of passing. No electric bullcrap. Basically, I want 2000-2008 back.

Why not go all in and bring the Honda V10 Turbo and Senna back! Racing doesn't need more evenly matched cars, just get rid of the driver assisted electronics. Even MotoGP needs this.

Alex V
10-22-18, 15:04
Why not go all in and bring the Honda V10 Turbo and Senna back! Racing doesn't need more evenly matched cars, just get rid of the driver assisted electronics. Even MotoGP needs this.

Senna was a douchebag. Kinda got what he deserved. I would like to see either a return to the 3.0L V10 or the 2.4L V8 with no limit in revs.

Adrenaline_6
10-22-18, 15:51
Senna was a douchebag. Kinda got what he deserved. I would like to see either a return to the 3.0L V10 or the 2.4L V8 with no limit in revs.

He might have been a DB, but he was still good for F1 - might as well bring back Prost as well to make the duo. Screw the naturally aspirated stuff. Balls to the wall turbo. Is F1 cutting edge or neutered nonsense? Just take away the electronics and let them go at it.