PDA

View Full Version : Good lpk?

Djstorm100
03-27-18, 07:33
I’m aware there are probably only a hand full of companies that actually make lpk but I’ve never liked DPMS and anything labeled as suck I stay away from. As well as Anderson lpk, see a lot of small parts break.

Most of my lowers have been bcm assembled lowers (bought on sale). What are some good brands?

Say from a budget stand point that is still dependable. Not looking to spend 100each on a lpk. Is it possible to get dependable mill spec trigger w/ lpk that’s dependable for $60/80?

I was looking at the CMMG and Aero Precision (never had either of these)
http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-ar-15-complete-lower-receiver-parts-kit-aprh100029
http://www.primaryarms.com/cmmg-complete-ar-15-lower-receiver-parts-kit-cmmg55ca6c5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snackgunner
03-27-18, 07:50
$60 trigger. Look at ALG defense line of triggers made by Bill Geissele

everready73
03-27-18, 08:04
You are probably better off getting a LPK without the trigger/grip and just buy those separate. You can find Kits like that for around $40 and then add the trigger and grip you prefer. Sionics and Sons of liberty offer these and are high quality kits. Geissele just started to offer kits on Brownells as well. Then add an enhanced Milspec trigger such as the ALG, BCM PNT, Sionics enhanced etc. Jobobs has had really good pricing on the Hiperfire EDT line recently and Right to Bear sells a Polished trigger for $40 that is solid and would save a few bucks.

Djstorm100
03-27-18, 08:24
$60 trigger. Look at ALG defense line of triggers made by Bill Geissele

Sorry I meant $60-80 for complete LPK.

everready73
03-27-18, 08:30
I would check out sionics on the highere end of your budget at $80 http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/lower-receiver-parts/46-bolt-carrier-group-hpmpi-tested-with-np3-carrier.html . It doesn't have a grip, but everyone changes those anyway. It does have their enhanced polished trigger which is really solid and comparable to the ALG ACT and BCM PNT. White Oak also has a Solid Option for $90 with the ALG QMS that includes the grip for $90 https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/lower-parts/lower-parts-kits/lower-parts-kit-w-alg-qms-trigger-included.html. If you dont want to spend more than $60 I always used to use CMMG and they were not bad

Djstorm100
03-27-18, 08:32
You are probably better off getting a LPK without the trigger/grip and just buy those separate. You can find Kits like that for around $40 and then add the trigger and grip you prefer. Sionics and Sons of liberty offer these and are high quality kits. Geissele just started to offer kits on Brownells as well. Then add an enhanced Milspec trigger such as the ALG, BCM PNT, Sionics enhanced etc. Jobobs has had really good pricing on the Hiperfire EDT line recently and Right to Bear sells a Polished trigger for $40 that is solid and would save a few bucks.
How do they compare say to CMMG or Aero? I know Aero doesn't make their parts but I don't know if CMMG does or not.

everready73
03-27-18, 08:56
The trigger was much nicer in the Sionics kit which is easily worth the $15 dollar difference compared to the CMMG. I change out my grips so was happy it didnt come with one. Other people might be able to answer the technical differences better, but all the Sionics parts were machined well and i trust them to use high quality parts from previous experience. A lot of the cheaper kits use MIM parts and dont have the proper heat treat or proper milspec materials. I dont know all the specifications, but I tend to go with companies that have a reputation for high quality stuff and that i trust. An Aero or CMMG kit would probably be fine, but i am willing to pay a little bit more for known quality.

Some things to look out for with lower cost kits are
Bolt catch and safety selector cast vs MIM- Cast is Mil spec
Aluminium vs steel Mag Buttons- Steel is milspec
Magazine catch and takedown pivot pins 8620 steel or something cheaper? Are they heat treated and coated properly

A lot of companies are not going to provide this type of info in the description, so i try to go with known quality. Some places will tell you what they use if you call. I am doubting the lower cost options check all the boxes, but if i was on a budget CMMG and Aero would be 2 of my first choices. I have had issues with out of spec parts from when i first got in the platform from Anderson and PSA. I would stay away from the cheapest options

ace4059
03-27-18, 08:57
I almost bought a giessele LPK off of Brownells, and I noticed it’s the DPMS LPK with the ALG trigger. So I went with sionics LPK. I’ve bought g&r LPK, SOLGW, sionics, DD, BCM, and Colts.
I couldn’t find a quality one in stock on Brownells last week so I ordered two from Sionics. Good quality parts at a fair price.

ace4059
03-27-18, 09:05
A lot of the cheaper kits use MIM parts.... An Aero or CMMG kit would probably be fine...

... I am doubting the lower cost options check all the boxes, but if i was on a budget CMMG and Aero would be 2 of my first choices. I have had issues with out of spec parts from when i first got in the platform from Anderson and PSA. I would stay away from the cheapest options

I’ve had countless parts on a AP rifle that were out of spec. So they sent more parts... that were out of spec. Finally the 3 or 4th time they sent parts that would fit. I think I’ve gone through about 7 or 8 bolt catches from them too. I call and they just send a new one. Basically their parts are just junk. When I asked about this they said the spice the parts out and don’t check for QC. I won’t ever buy anything again from them. Plus I had problems with their CS and got excuse after excuse with them. I had to raise hell before they finally took care of me.

ETA: I had a through review on this AP 308 rifle. It’s still on here but photobucket has my pictures hostage.

officerX
03-27-18, 09:25
I’ll never buy anything from Aero.

pinzgauer
03-27-18, 10:00
White Oak sold the ALG trigger as a complete LPK with components they source.

Also, I think ALG will sell you a complete LPK with the ACT as well.

drtywk
03-27-18, 12:23
I am a huge fan of the Sionics LPK with their trigger. I also like the BCM LPK and trigger. I just picked up an ALG/Geissele LPK with a QMS and it is a great value and an excellent trigger. The Colt LPK's from G&R, when they are in stock, is a great option as well. You can't go wrong with any of these, as well as the ALG LPK with ACT trigger.

Djstorm100
03-27-18, 12:45
Aero is that bad in general? Was thinking of picking up a upper and lower receiver in ar10. I have a upper receiver I built my SBR off of..that's the only part aero. Lower is BCM. But it runs greats. Have bout 2,500 rounds through it.

ace4059
03-27-18, 13:02
Stickman says AP is good to go. But I won’t buy anything else from them. Bad luck combined with their poor CS and QC turned we away from them.

I would say if you get an inspec upper or lower from them you would be gtg, but I am not chancing it. Basically the only thing original on my AP is the upper receiver, lower, buffer tube buffer and buffer spring. They changed out just about everything else and replaced all the parts to “fix” the problems to no avail.

The_War_Wagon
03-27-18, 13:44
Right before DD went FULL semi-auto, I picked up one of their LPK's. I'll probably just stick to BCM from now on, though. NEVER had a problem with one of their LPK's in almost 9 years of building them, and shooting them.

Djstorm100
03-27-18, 13:44
Stickman says AP is good to go. But I won’t buy anything else from them. Bad luck combined with their poor CS and QC turned we away from them.

I would say if you get an inspec upper or lower from them you would be gtg, but I am not chancing it. Basically the only thing original on my AP is the upper receiver, lower, buffer tube buffer and buffer spring. They changed out just about everything else and replaced all the parts to “fix” the problems to no avail.

Ace about when did you buy it?

To be completely honest. I have DD rifle and will pick up another bcm or two. However I have 4 80% lowers I’ve done. (Have a vmc, not that router or drill press shit) want to get those going. My main motive is because of political climate but also at market is flood and having a lot of sales. I’m mostly in to ww2 and precision bolt guns

ace4059
03-27-18, 14:31
It was one of the first AP 308 OEM models. Maybe two years ago but can’t remember exactly.

PeaShooter
03-27-18, 15:44
FWIW, I just recently purchased a CMMG lower parts kit (Gun Builder's Kit), the one with no FCG or grip. Everything was okay but the safety selector lever. Way to big to fit into the lower. It was out-of-spec enough that instead of ordering one from another vendor I decided to drill/ream out the lower until it functioned properly. I would never have done that but for the fact that it was a "beater" gun built mostly from spare parts.

I'm not knocking CMMG....just saying. I will not be using their LPK's in the future.

26 Inf
03-27-18, 16:37
FWIW, I just recently purchased a CMMG lower parts kit (Gun Builder's Kit), the one with no FCG or grip. Everything was okay but the safety selector lever. Way to big to fit into the lower. It was out-of-spec enough that instead of ordering one from another vendor I decided to drill/ream out the lower until it functioned properly. I would never have done that but for the fact that it was a "beater" gun built mostly from spare parts.

I'm not knocking CMMG....just saying. I will not be using their LPK's in the future.

Did you try the safety in another lower? Or another safety in that lower?

I haven't had that experience. I bought a bunch of ambi-safeties from CMMG a couple years ago when they were on sale. They have worked flawlessly in everything I've put them in.

I generally put the rifle together with a CMMG safety then swap it back into the parts bin if/when I put in a short throw safety.

I think every rifle should have an ambi-safety, and they were cost effective at the price I paid, I'm sure they were sourced by CMMG from some supplier who makes generic ambi-safeties for OEM manufacturers.

Much the like the pins and springs in LPK's overall.

PeaShooter
03-27-18, 17:14
Did you try the safety in another lower? Or another safety in that lower?

I did not for two reasons. 1.) I wasn't concerned about the fitment because I know the lower while in my ownership is ever going to be taken apart, and 2.) The lower was part of a batch of lowers I purchased together and I had no problems with safety selectors from other brand LPK's working in the other lowers from that batch. Note that this was the first LPK from CMMG that I had ever tried. So.....

FTR, I mostly use Spikes LPK's. I like how easy their "in the white" roll pins install.

MegademiC
03-27-18, 17:27
I would check out sionics on the highere end of your budget at $80 http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/lower-receiver-parts/46-bolt-carrier-group-hpmpi-tested-with-np3-carrier.html . It doesn't have a grip, but everyone changes those anyway. It does have their enhanced polished trigger which is really solid and comparable to the ALG ACT and BCM PNT. White Oak also has a Solid Option for $90 with the ALG QMS that includes the grip for $90 https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/lower-parts/lower-parts-kits/lower-parts-kit-w-alg-qms-trigger-included.html. If you dont want to spend more than $60 I always used to use CMMG and they were not bad

Ive had a sionics for a few months now, i really like it. Its like a really good GI trigger, and quality components.

RobertTheTexan
03-27-18, 21:35
Aero is that bad in general? Was thinking of picking up a upper and lower receiver in ar10. I have a upper receiver I built my SBR off of..that's the only part aero. Lower is BCM. But it runs greats. Have bout 2,500 rounds through it.

Not in my experience and I’ve built, I don’t know maybe around 20 AR’s. 99% of them running Aero lowers, 98% Aero uppers. Not that many LPK’s though, mainly because I 6-6buy the parts I need from DSG Arms which btw, sells a really good DSG branded LPK whether you buy the parts separately ad I do or the full kit.

But I’ve never had a solitary issue with them, product wise or support wise. I can’t say the same for a couple of the beloved brands.

patriot_man
03-27-18, 21:41
Geissele makes/packs one.

I think that Geissele has very good QC/higher standards on their LPK and the parts are very good. Got mine from Brownells

Jwknutson17
03-27-18, 21:57
I find every aero upper and lower I have handled and used to be exceptional in both fit and finish.

No experience with anything other then AR15 upper and lower receivers and their scope rings. So I can't speak of their lower parts kits, 308 parts, or alike.

Djstorm100
03-28-18, 03:10
Thanks guys I'll call White Oak tomorrow to verify there parts are mil-spec material. Aero's site states "mil-spec dimension" but nothing about material/etc.

I was going to use Aero's buffer kit from PA but this has me kinda 2nd guessing. I hate to see corners cut. BCM doesn't make anything their self, as far as I know, but I wonder the $20 dollar saving on buffer kit is wroth with going with Aeros. I'm doing 3 lowers so trying to be frugal, not cheap.

Sounds stupid and even though firearms are mechanical objects that break, I want to be able to depend my life on it if ever needed.

MegademiC
03-28-18, 07:35
Thanks guys I'll call White Oak tomorrow to verify there parts are mil-spec material. Aero's site states "mil-spec dimension" but nothing about material/etc.

I was going to use Aero's buffer kit from PA but this has me kinda 2nd guessing. I hate to see corners cut. BCM doesn't make anything their self, as far as I know, but I wonder the $20 dollar saving on buffer kit is wroth with going with Aeros. I'm doing 3 lowers so trying to be frugal, not cheap.

Sounds stupid and even though firearms are mechanical objects that break, I want to be able to depend my life on it if ever needed.

This one is 7000 series aluminum, which you want, and rolled threads.

I did see another website that sells aero an buffer tube that stated 6000 series, which you dont want, but its a website i never heard of and may be a misprint.

http://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-ar-15-buffer-tube-kit-mil-spec-aprh100151

Achilles11B
03-28-18, 08:55
I’ve had good luck with CMMG on the three builds I’ve used their LPK’s on. I rolled the dice on an Anderson kit and regretted it, I’ve never had to fight a trigger guard roll pin before using that kit.

26 Inf
03-28-18, 16:05
I just started sourcing springs from these guys: https://www.kakindustry.com/about-us ordering this product: https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/complete-lower-parts-kits-and-other-kits/spring-kits/ar15-lpk-spring-kit-10pack

I use the KNS pins: https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/kns-precision-ar-15-m16-turned-lower-parts-kit-851876003295.do I know, CTD, but 17.50 is the cheapest I've found them.

I decided to start putting together my own LPK's because I got tired of putting safeties, mag releases and bolt catches out of LPK's I bought in the parts drawers.

I still end up with extra stuff - hammer and trigger pins, mag release springs, disconnector springs, hammer and trigger springs, but not nearly as much as I used to.