PDA

View Full Version : PTR 91 PDW bracing options?

ramairthree
03-27-18, 12:44
I recently purchased one of the PTR-91 PDWs.

Like this with the receiver tube attachment.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cm9nQCYWG3wKyrin2

I have one of the long barrel, fixed stock rifles,
A retractable stock 16” Carbine,
And could not resist this 8.5” pistol.

I have never shot .308 through a barrel this short.

I plan to get a QD flash hider or brake for my YHM Phantom so I can use it on this also.

I have been down the SBR stamp pathway a handful of times, but am consider doing a folding or retractable brace on this one.

Your pictures and experiences and advice would be appreciated.

Also, this comes with a rail.

I really prefer this to the claw mount options on my other two.

Are any of you experienced with any of the rail conversions?

I am considering something like that for my rifle and Carbine.

SteyrAUG
03-27-18, 13:59
The receiver tube is actually the recoil buffer assembly.

I've had a stocked 51 and it was more than a little muzzle blast. A 51 handgun will probably be quite the wrist snapper. Just an FYI if you decide to SBR it, you cannot used a standard buttstock / recoil rod assembly. It will fit, but it won't function. The recoil spring and buffer assembly must be modified to work on a 51.

Not sure if the screw holes have been filled, but you can take your existing stock collar / recoil assembly and attach the plastic stock to it if it hasn't been modified. That is after you register it as a SBR of course.

51s are fun but can be finicky which is why HK never went into production with them.

I don't think any of the folding stock options would actually work, you could modify a retractable stock but that would be pretty punishing as they are pretty much a meat tenderizer on a full size G3 rifle.

Nowski87
03-27-18, 14:51
I would look into the SB A3 from SB Tactical. Uses a standard AR carbine tube and is adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-27-18, 15:37
I would look into the SB A3 from SB Tactical. Uses a standard AR carbine tube and is adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't look like they have one for a 91 option and definitely will not work on a 51.

ramairthree
03-28-18, 19:47
The end cap of this version is threaded for an AR buffer tube. Right now I have a pistol tube with a tail hook. I will likely do a folding mechanism as well.

I have not made it to the range yet.

I was really hoping for a better off the shelf set up.

ramairthree
03-28-18, 23:43
This came out pretty handy using this SB brace.

I may skip a folding portion.

I mean, I want a folder-
But what I really wish is they would come out with an end cap for a retractable brace.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ErZ32imEnswmIS6n2

SteyrAUG
03-29-18, 01:11
The end cap of this version is threaded for an AR buffer tube. Right now I have a pistol tube with a tail hook. I will likely do a folding mechanism as well.

I have not made it to the range yet.

I was really hoping for a better off the shelf set up.

Ah, did not realize that detail. In that case you have lots of options.