PDA

View Full Version : ALG ACT trigger

Spiffums
03-27-18, 17:20
I searched and all the posts seem to be several years old. I just wondered if these triggers were still highly thought of around here. I'm considering putting one in a PSA 308 for heavy metal/hunting and an AR pistol. I have Geissele trigger in my BCM build so them being a sister company to ALG makes me lean that way.

sidewaysil80
03-27-18, 18:08
Great trigger. Standard in my general purpose (read non gamer) rifles. I have the LaRue MBT in my duty rifle and had several matches/multiple training days with the BCM PNT. By far and large the ACT was smoother, more refined, and nicer.

joeg26er
03-27-18, 18:15
Great trigger. Standard in my general purpose (read non gamer) rifles. I have the LaRue MBT in my duty rifle and had several matches/multiple training days with the BCM PNT. By far and large the ACT was smoother, more refined, and nicer.

Just to clarify - you say the ALG ACT is Smoother and nicer than the MBT?

sidewaysil80
03-27-18, 18:31
Just to clarify - you say the ALG ACT is Smoother and nicer than the MBT?

Whatever came in our 2017 OBR 762’s is heavier to me than the ACT w/4.5lb spring. Perhaps the lighter weight and single stage break are the reason that is perceived. Admittedly that was kind of an apples to oranges, regardless IMO the best sub $100 trigger is the ACT.

Spiffums
03-27-18, 19:56

I keep reading similar responses and that's why I thought I'd ask here.

Toyoland66
03-27-18, 22:39
It’s a coated mil spec trigger.

They’re good, but don’t expect it to be a match trigger. They are smoother than mil spec, but still have a bit of creep before they break.

sagecarbina
03-28-18, 03:50
Trigger worked as advertised, ran about 200 rounds through it since I was only able to get to the range for less than an hour. No light primer strikes with the 4lb spring yet. Probably halfed my splits on the stock trigger easy. Pulled a few shots out of the A ring into the B from not being used to the much lighter trigger at first, then by the 2nd mag I was wondering why the hell did I ever run a stock trigger ever. I'd like to do back to back against a geissele single and 2 stage to see what I like better, but that won't happen, I'm very much happy with how the ACT turned out. Kinda wished the trigger itself was black instead of silver but it doesn't bother me enough to paint it or anything.

dpb1776
03-28-18, 20:44
Triggers work well for general shooting and training. Much smoother than a mispec trigger. Trying to do presision work you will notice the weight and pull if you are really focusing on groups

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
03-28-18, 22:45
It’s a coated mil spec trigger.
They’re good, but don’t expect it to be a match trigger. They are smoother than mil spec, but still have a bit of creep before they break.

This. It's decent, not great. If you have any time with really nice triggers (Geissele-branded, Larue MBT, Timney bolt gun triggers, etc.) then the stacking and the long drag of the trigger across the sear surface is obvious and not great. But if you only use GI type triggers and are blasting 2-3 shots/second, it's good.

At least two retailers have the Hiperfire EDT for $60 right now, which is a far nicer trigger, and the Larue MBT continues to have a $99 special offer (for what, 2 years now?) and is very comparable to a Geissele SSA; in fact I like it slightly better. So there's not much reason to get an ACT for price, only if you either prefer a GI trigger or are required to use one for agency reasons.

LMT/556
03-29-18, 05:21
We have both ACT and PNT. Between the two and considering they are almost identical I'd say the PNT was a tick more smooth. The ACT was replaced in my son's rig (very appreciative) with a G-SSA which is our standard, having a total 3 SSAs and 1 SSA-E to date. Geissele triggers really are that good...

BrigandTwoFour
03-29-18, 07:11
I have an ACT, SSA, SSA-E, SD-E, and the MBT.

The ACT is most definitely not smoother and more refined than any of the others. It’s a good nil spec trigger, but it’s not magical. The ACT rides in my “going afield” rifle.

03-29-18, 09:00
I’ve used a few coated type triggers. My prior experience was mainly military and “mil-spec” triggers. I’ve really liked the ACT. Some of the other brands I have tried did not demonstrate acceptable durability with the coarings at the engagement surfaces. I feel like the ACT is the best trigger if you want to stick to the original design, but desire something slightly better or more corrosion resistant.

A few months ago, I bought a Hiperfire EDT2 for like $60 I liked it so much that I bought another for another rifle. So far I like these triggers better than my ACT’s. They “feel” much slicker. Barring corrosion, breakage, or unusual wear, I will probably standardize on the EDT or EDT2.

Dennis
03-29-18, 11:16
I have several ACT triggers but they seem to keep being replaced by SSA or SDC triggers. If you care enough about a quality trigger to ask I see no reason to buy twice...

However, if you are just looking for reliability and want to put rounds downrange the ACT is a fine choice. Just don't try out a Geissele in a buddy's gun ;-)

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Spiffums
03-29-18, 17:07
This. It's decent, not great. If you have any time with really nice triggers (Geissele-branded, Larue MBT, Timney bolt gun triggers, etc.) then the stacking and the long drag of the trigger across the sear surface is obvious and not great. But if you only use GI type triggers and are blasting 2-3 shots/second, it's good.

At least two retailers have the Hiperfire EDT for $60 right now, which is a far nicer trigger, and the Larue MBT continues to have a $99 special offer (for what, 2 years now?) and is very comparable to a Geissele SSA; in fact I like it slightly better. So there's not much reason to get an ACT for price, only if you either prefer a GI trigger or are required to use one for agency reasons.

I was looking at the EDT and the MBT triggers today too. Kinda leaning towards the MBT at the moment.

Spiffums
03-29-18, 17:07
I have several ACT triggers but they seem to keep being replaced by SSA or SDC triggers. If you care enough about a quality trigger to ask I see no reason to buy twice...

However, if you are just looking for reliability and want to put rounds downrange the ACT is a fine choice. Just don't try out a Geissele in a buddy's gun ;-)

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh I've got the Geissele 3 gun trigger in my BCM build....I am totally ruined for life now as it is.

grizzman
03-29-18, 17:35
My ACT is indistinguishable from my PNTs, but they're far from what I'd consider nice.

For $99, the MBT is an easy choice over an ACT for $65.

Dr. Bullseye
04-27-18, 11:54
This was my first AR upgrade. It is smoother than mil spec and it gives you an idea of what direction you want to go if you want another trigger.

Hammer_Man
04-27-18, 23:33
I have used an ACT in the past, and I thought it was a nice trigger for $65. I've since gotten over the nickel boron craze, so my current go to rifle has a QMS. To me it feels the same as an ACT, and the best part is that it costs $20 less.

JD Williams
04-28-18, 00:04
LE context.

ACT are what I put in our SWAT guns as well as BCM PNT triggers. Edited to add without the purple hammer spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk