PDA

View Full Version : BAD safety lever detent pin change and possible fitnent issues

bbakerM4
03-27-18, 19:29
Just got my first BAD safety selector in the mail today. This is one of three I’ll be purchasing. This one is the CASS model in FDE while the other two will be ASS’s in BLK. Upon inspecting everything before I installed it I noticed the detent pin was black instead of the stainless they claim in their literature. After admiring it for a bit I installed it, played with it, was extremely happy with it, and then went to bed (I sleep days). After I woke I began wondering (being OCD) why my detent pin was black instead of stainless. I decided to call them and spoke with a very nice lady who informed me that about 3-4 months ago they stopped including the stanlinless detent pin and started including a nitrited dentent pin instead. I was told the stainless detent was found to be too soft and could have issues over time. Do I, or will I, use mine hard enough that over time I’d see the wear she described... maybe, maybe not!? But for those of you who do, or those of you that put your life on the line, you might want to look into replacing your detent pin.

This led to another interesting comment and information she gave me. Again, I mentioned that I would be installing her ASS in my two other rifles. Sorry, I couldn’t resist! Those along with the CASS rifle will all be getting Geissele triggers. The CASS rifle will be getting a SSA trigger while the other two will be getting G2S triggers. She asked if I will be getting their 90° or 45° short throw safeties. I told her all are 90° safeties! She said that is good as they found that sometimes there could be fittment issues with their 45° short throw safeties and some Geissele triggers.

None of this information will deter me from purchasing either BAD or Geissele products now or in the future! I’m just passing on this information for those that have the stainless detent pin and may be experiencing issues and can not diagnose the problem, and those that may be experiencing the trigger/45° safety fitment issue described and again can not diagnose their issues.

usmcvet
03-27-18, 19:49
Just got my first BAD safety selector in the mail today. This is one of three I’ll be purchasing. This one is the CASS model in FDE while the other two will be ASS’s in BLK. Upon inspecting everything before I installed it I noticed the detent pin was black instead of the stainless they claim in their literature. After admiring it for a bit I installed it, played with it, was extremely happy with it, and then went to bed (I sleep days). After I woke I began wondering (being OCD) why my detent pin was black instead of stainless. I decided to call them and spoke with a very nice lady who informed me that about 3-4 months ago they stopped including the stanlinless detent pin and started including a nitrited dentent pin instead. I was told the stainless detent was found to be too soft and could have issues over time. Do I, or will I, use mine hard enough that over time I’d see the wear she described... maybe, maybe not!? But for those of you who do, or those of you that put your life on the line, you might want to look into replacing your detent pin.

This led to another interesting comment and information she gave me. Again, I mentioned that I would be installing her ASS in my two other rifles. Sorry, I couldn’t resist! Those along with the CASS rifle will all be getting Geissele triggers. The CASS rifle will be getting a SSA trigger while the other two will be getting G2S triggers. She asked if I will be getting their 90° or 45° short throw safeties. I told her all are 90° safeties! She said that is good as they found that sometimes there could be fittment issues with their 45° short throw safeties and some Geissele triggers.

None of this information will deter me from purchasing either BAD or Geissele products now or in the future! I’m just passing on this information for those that have the stainless detent pin and may be experiencing issues and can not diagnose the problem, and those that may be experiencing the trigger/45° safety fitment issue described and again can not diagnose their issues.

I had BAD levers on my AR’s. I got rid of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

03-27-18, 20:57
I tried the BAD levers too. Worthless part. You're taking a virtually failure proof, one piece part and replaces it with a poorly made five piece part helt together with Lock-tite.

officerX
03-27-18, 21:22
I’m pretty sure it’s well know that their safeties May or may not work with Geissele triggers.

I love them. I have them in every rifle I own. I will continue to put them in all further owned rifles as well.

26 Inf
03-27-18, 21:32
I believe at one time Duffy told me that BAD used KNS safety detent pins. Anyways he recommended them to me.

KNS makes the detents out of stainless steel and black nitride finishes them:

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/safety-detent/

Coincidentally I just ordered enough KNS pin kits to put together 6 lowers, the last ones I received had the non-nitrided safety detent as well as non-nitrided take down detents in them. The picture on the website still shows non-nitrided, so we shall see.

Jwknutson17
03-27-18, 21:35
No issues ever in many, many, rifles. And all with Geissele triggers. I like the safeties and will continue to use them.

bbakerM4
03-27-18, 22:00
Sorry for any confusion... I’m talking about the Battle Arms Develpment Ambi Safety Selector, I am not talking about the Magpul Battery Assist Device. I thought I explained that well enough if my entire post has been read?

Also, I apologized if this has been previously discussed! I just found our this information, I was getting ready for work, I was notified by AT&T I’m close to my data limit this month and refuced my data speed, and I just wanted to get out what I thought was good information.

Again, this was not a diss on any company mentioned or involved! They all make great products and goes to show R&D doesn’t stop when a product is released. I will still be purchasing from all companies mentioned! I just wanted those that may be having function or compatibility issues something to look at and possibly help diagnose their problem.

Iraqgunz
03-28-18, 01:50
I have Battle Arms selectors on almost all of my rifles. Never had an issue and several of them are from the initial release.

datatypelegged
03-28-18, 03:04
Also, don't have any problems for now

bbakerM4
03-28-18, 07:13
I have Battle Arms selectors on almost all of my rifles. Never had an issue and several of them are from the initial release.

I also plan on outfitting all my rifles with them! I plan on ordering a BAD-ASS for my suppressed rifle today when I wake up... It'd be nice if it arrives around the same time as my Geissele G2S!

Hulkstr8
03-28-18, 16:56
I had a similar issue with my BAD safety selector. The detents were getting worn to mushy nothingness in 20 reps of dry fire. Duffy helped me diagnose the issue. I emailed BAD today about my issue (I ordered 3 safeties at once and all had the same issue) and going to send them some pics of the detent. BAD confirmed in a 30 second reply that they had a run of safeties that went out with bad detents and they said they would replace them no problem. Just call or email them.

Duffy
03-29-18, 16:19
I'm sure you guys know I left in late 2014 to start Forward Controls Design :cool:

In my last conversation with my former partner earlier this year, he told me KNS had sent them detents that were below the hardness they should be, that was the first I heard of it. Previously (as in while I was there long ago), premature deformation of the detent was traced to the detent groove being milled out of spec. This can happen when bits wear out and aren't replaced as frequently as they should, the groove is malformed and there could be burs, both could wear down a detent's tip in couple dozen rotation cycles.

JasonDTM
03-29-18, 19:45
both could wear down a detent's tip in couple dozen rotation cycles.

This was my experience with the included KNS pin with my CASS. I replaced it with mil-spec, has been fine since.