PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't MA have an AW Ban?

No Bananas
10-20-08, 00:08
I just had a guy onlin ebuy a Krebs AK from me. Said he's in MA and that they are legal there. But when I went to the MA DPS website Isaw this:

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term “large capacity weapon” shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

Sounds like an AW & hi cap ban to me.

NIGHT_OWL
10-20-08, 01:43
I just had a guy onlin ebuy a Krebs AK from me. Said he's in MA and that they are legal there. But when I went to the MA DPS website Isaw this:

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term “large capacity weapon” shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon; (iv) any weapon that has been modified so as to render it permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a large capacity weapon; or (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable large capacity weapon.

Sounds like an AW & hi cap ban to me.

Yes Mass has an AWB. There are some loop holes in it though. If a weapon or magazine is pre-ban then they are legal. If the weapon is "post ban" it can have no more than 2 of the following features:

1. Flash suppressor
2. Folding telescopic stock
3. Bayonet lug
4. Pistol grip
5. Detachable feeding device

All post ban mags are a NO GO.

I would think that whoever does the transfer might have a problem with it. I know that no legit Mass FFL will sell post bans that violate the AWB rules.

No Bananas
10-20-08, 09:15
You are right, sir! That is also what I concluded. I sopoke to the guy's FFL, who is in RI. The FFL told me (and will back it up in writing), that he will mill off the Bayo Lug to make it MA complaint. The30 rd. magmag will be staying with me. Thanks for your reply.

NIGHT_OWL
10-20-08, 11:52
You are right, sir! That is also what I concluded. I sopoke to the guy's FFL, who is in RI. The FFL told me (and will back it up in writing), that he will mill off the Bayo Lug to make it MA complaint. The30 rd. magmag will be staying with me. Thanks for your reply.

As far as the advice........ Glad to be of assistance!

I still don't see how just shaving off the bayo lug will make it "legit"?

Unless that was the last and only third "no, no" on the list?

Anywho.... Be carefull dude, cause Mass is a real "johnson" when it comes to firearms. If the FFL is in RI, then It may be legit. I only have knowlage of MASS regs. Maybe he has a non-resident RI card? I still would be skeptical of crossing the state border with a weapon that does not meet the MASS AWB standards! :(

No Bananas
10-20-08, 12:01
Yes, it was the last and third NO-NO. I know what you mean and I only want to be involved with stuff on the up and up. The AK has a perm attached muzzle brake, so there's no flash hider or threaded barrel. The Bayo Lug has got to go, along with the mag (which I'll keep). The FFL is also a gunsmith and will include in writing that the bayo lug is to be removed. After receiveing this info, and review MA's laws, I felt comfortable that all is legal and legit.