PDA

View Full Version : First time AR owner here, just wanted to say hello.

dmattaponi
03-28-18, 09:25
Just wanted to say hello, and also to let you all know how interesting and useful I have found m4carbines.net. I recently bought my first AR rifle, a Colt 6721. I had been looking for a 6920 locally, and a small mom and pop shop told me they had one in stock. When I got there, they actually had a 6721. I was a little disappointed, because I liked the looks of the govt profile barrel, and the rollmark of the 6920, but the 6721 looked nice, so I bought it anyway. Now that I've had it to the range, I like it very much. Since I didn't know much about this model, I've been spending a lot of time surfing the forums, and that's how I came upon this site. This site has been very useful, and it definitely has helped me understand my new rifle, and the AR platform in general, much better. I plan to keep my rifle stock, except for a a red dot scope and a sling which I have on the way.

sagecarbina
03-28-18, 09:38
recently made the same purchase. I'm extremely pleased with mine. I put a Vortex Strikefire red dot on it. The range where I shoot most of the time is bench only, so I changed out the handguard for a Magpul with a rail and added a Grip-pod.

So far I've shot mostly Federal American Eagle 55 gr FMJ and I'm really pleased with the accuracy and the operation of the rifle. I really don't think you can go wrong and our exalted legislators may figure out that they left some huge loopholes in their historic assault weapon ban and add hbars to the list at some point.

HeruMew
03-28-18, 09:42
Welcome to M4Carbine,

You've made a good purchase, congrats.

Either suffice pretty well, and have reliability to back them.

Nonetheless, it's always nice to see #ONEMORE, welcome to ownership of an AR-15, now comes the hardest part of all: Shooting it. A Lot. Than, buying another one, and shooting both, A Lot.

Enjoy. ;)

Campbell
03-28-18, 11:19
Great first rifle, welcome to the forum.

dmattaponi
03-28-18, 11:48
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and comments. I've tried some surplus Israeli 556, some Winchester White Box 556, and some of the Federal American Eagle hp mentioned above, and all functioned fine. I have to admit, I can see how these things become addictive. I still wouldn't mind picking up a 6920. My son, bought a Ruger 556 when I bought the Colt, and we are enjoying the range time together. Even my daughter who has never liked shooting before went out with us, and said that she really enjoyed shooting the AR, and that she found it fun and pleasant to shoot.

wetidlerjr
03-28-18, 11:50
Here is a good place go to:New To Firearms & Shooting (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?173-New-to-Firearms-amp-Shooting) :cool:

dmattaponi
03-28-18, 12:05
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Jewell
03-28-18, 15:04
Welcome. You started off on the right foot by picking up a quality rifle in the 6721. There's a ton of helpful/valuable information here. Enjoy.

Eazyeach
03-28-18, 19:14
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new rifle. I really wish I would’ve been smart enough to get a Colt as my first rifle. Then again back when I got my first rifle colts were $1100+.

dmattaponi
03-28-18, 21:24
Thanks again everyone. I do appreciate the friendly welcome and recommendations.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hammer_Man
03-28-18, 23:50
Congrats on the new toy! Now go shoot it full semi automatic.

HummerM4
03-30-18, 10:07
No point cluttering things up, so I'll just tag in here and say "hey" as well. New AR owner as well, BCM M4 Carbine for me. Made my decision after reading around here for a while.

dmattaponi
03-30-18, 11:54
Good to meet you, HummerM4. Hope you enjoy your new rifle as much as I am enjoying mine.

Leaveammoforme
03-30-18, 13:57
Good to meet you, HummerM4. Hope you enjoy your new rifle as much as I am enjoying mine.

No point cluttering things up, so I'll just tag in here and say "hey" as well. New AR owner as well, BCM M4 Carbine for me. Made my decision after reading around here for a while.

Don't feel inclined to answer as this is just a personal curiosity. Why did you wait until now?

Did you own other firearms prior to your purchase of an AR?

It seems lately we are winning over some (excuse the term) Fudds. It may only be a "Get one before they're banned" mentality for some but more people not being retarded is a good sign.

dmattaponi
03-30-18, 15:29
For me, I had read so much online arguing that the AK was much more reliable than the AR which was supposedly prone to jamming because it "pooped where it ate", so through the years I've bought 3 AKs and at least 6-7 SKS. More recently I've had some friends convince me that the AR was a reliable platform, and decided I'd give the AR a try. I also can't deny that the current political climate helped motivate me. Not only did I buy the AR, I also renewed my NRA membership. Now, having compared the AR to my AK-SKS experience, I prefer the AR.

RobertTheTexan
03-31-18, 03:13
For me, I had read so much online arguing that the AK was much more reliable than the AR which was supposedly prone to jamming because it "pooped where it ate", so through the years I've bought 3 AKs and at least 6-7 SKS. More recently I've had some friends convince me that the AR was a reliable platform, and decided I'd give the AR a try. I also can't deny that the current political climate helped motivate me. Not only did I buy the AR, I also renewed my NRA membership. Now, having compared the AR to my AK-SKS experience, I prefer the AR.

You know I really can’t believe the “jamming AR” disinformation aka “load of steaming crap” is still circulating the internet and gun forums. Or maybe just AK forums??:). Ignorance still exists regarding this and I do wonder if other AK owners are perpetuating that ridiculous piece of internet lore? I suppose those guys never talk to the guys who ran their AR’s through hell for years without even a proper cleaning - just to see if the weapon will continue to run - and it does. I’m glad you decided to take a chance though and you made a good move for a complete AR.
Welcome to M4C, knowledge is deep here and I’m glad you are taking advantage if it. There are also some specialized sub forums - that deal with tactical gear, ammo, and custom builds. It’s always fun to see what the guys are building. Congrats on getting your son and daughter involved! My son loves to go shooting with me, he’s not quite a teen, and so I really enjoy the dad/son time. You’re forging good memories.
So now that you’ve got an AR and are shooting it, you should start planning for your first build! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmattaponi
03-31-18, 14:40
I hear you. I never found the AK or SkS as fun to shoot as this AR,and if I had to choose one today, it would be the AR.