PDA

View Full Version : 7mm WSSM as hunting alternative to 6.5 Grendel/6.8SPC

Boom Stick
10-20-08, 09:59
***Note*** I have posted this on many other forums, but realizing that not everyone frequents every gun forum, I have decided to post it here as well because knowledgeable parties whose opinions I respect frequent here as well.***

I'm assembling an AR15 right now for hunting purposes only. I'll be using barnes bullets exclusively and reloading everything by hand. I had been debating the issue between a 6.8spc and the grendel, but I've recently found another alternative that has been projected into the forefront. Mike over at Dedicated Technologies makes custom built WSSM uppers in a variety of calibers. One of them just so happens to be the 7mm WSSM. Since I was looking at getting performance as close to the 7mm 08 as I could when I began my journey down the ar15 road, I think that the 7mm WSSM would be a pretty good alternative. I think the fact that it would be a heavier 7mm bullet would help aleviate the problem of wearing out the barrel that other WSSM cartridges face. And since I'm not yet convinced of the longevity of either the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8SPC round I'm not sure there's much of a downside to going the wildcat route (from an ammunition availibility perspective.) Also I wouldn't need the high capacity magazines as this would be for hunting only (who goes hunting for deer with a full 26 round magazine anyway?) But ultimately, I just wanted to see what you all thought of this idea.

Also, I've got very little interest in going the AR10 route due to the increase weight/lack of accessories. Plus I already have an AR15 lower

Cohibra45
10-20-08, 10:10
I don't have the numbers so this is an educated guess...

I will just about bet you my AR that there are more 6.x rifles out there than there are 7 WSSMs...

I don't think that there were than many 7 WSSM sold. ;)

Boom Stick
10-20-08, 10:36
:confused: I hope you didn't think that I believe the 7mm WSSM (an admitted wildcat cartridge) is outselling anything else. I only meant to say that in the long run I forsee having to reload any of those cartridges mentioned. However that isn't my reason for thinking it best to go the wildcat route. Mainly I just think that the performance increase probably warrants it. I look at the 7mm WSSM maximizing the AR platform for hunting the way that the 6.5/6.8 sought to do for combat (two very different goals mind you)

Cohibra45
10-20-08, 10:54
I understand what you mean and I am going the 6.8 route.

If you would like to see just how the 6.8 has been researched and developed, come on over to 68forums.com and join in. Here is a link to that forum...

http://www.68forums.com/

There are a lot of people there that are have tried out/trying out different cartridges and have a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck,

Kelly

Never mind...............See you posted over there already!!!!!!!!!!!!

hatt
10-20-08, 11:17
:confused: I hope you didn't think that I believe the 7mm WSSM (an admitted wildcat cartridge) is outselling anything else. I only meant to say that in the long run I forsee having to reload any of those cartridges mentioned. However that isn't my reason for thinking it best to go the wildcat route. Mainly I just think that the performance increase probably warrants it. I look at the 7mm WSSM maximizing the AR platform for hunting the way that the 6.5/6.8 sought to do for combat (two very different goals mind you) I doubt the deer will know the difference between a 6.5 Grendel and a 7mmWSSM with good bullets, which you already plan on using. I'd go Grendel all day over a highly specialized radical AR build dedicated to hunting. For a pure hunting rifle I'd chose the lighter, shorter, simpler, and less sensitive to ammo, bolt action gun, but that is just me. I think this is a decision only you can make; I can't see any reason to do it other than just wanting to, which is all the reason you need.

Boom Stick
10-20-08, 12:32
I doubt the deer will know the difference between a 6.5 Grendel and a 7mmWSSM with good bullets, which you already plan on using. I'd go Grendel all day over a highly specialized radical AR build dedicated to hunting. For a pure hunting rifle I'd chose the lighter, shorter, simpler, and less sensitive to ammo, bolt action gun, but that is just me. I think this is a decision only you can make; I can't see any reason to do it other than just wanting to, which is all the reason you need.

Hmm... i diagree with a few things here. A deer wouln't know the difference between a well placed 22lr and a grendel either but that isn't the point. Energy matters, especially at distance. Also the trajectory of the WSSM would be better than the highly touted grendel. And I don't see how it is "highly specialized". It would be more versatile (in a hunting context) than the grendel could ever could be. The grendels advantages are mainly combat related and maybe out past 1,000 yards in a match type environment. But you are right, there is a healthy amount of just "wanting to" in my choice for an AR15 hunting platform. I'm just trying to maximize the platform for my use.

ra2bach
10-20-08, 14:39
whatever I got, I'd want it to feed and extract without having to farkle it. if I wanted a 7MM in a short mag for an auto loader, I'd look into the SAUM.

shorter, less of a shoulder angle. long bullets can be seated further out too.

hatt
10-20-08, 14:53
whatever I got, I'd want it to feed and extract without having to farkle it. if I wanted a 7MM in a short mag for an auto loader, I'd look into the SAUM.

shorter, less of a shoulder angle. long bullets can be seated further out too.
The SAUM is way too long to use in an AR-15.

ra2bach
10-20-08, 19:32
The SAUM is way too long to use in an AR-15.

DOH! you're right. you made me go back and look and I see he was talking about the WSSM - Win SUPER Short Mag. as my kids say, my bad...

I wasn't paying attention and assumed he was asking about the WSM - Winchester Short Mag. I know that wouldn't fit in an AR15 action but that fact just blew over my head as well...

never heard of a 7MM WSSM. how does it perform?

hatt
10-21-08, 00:02
never heard of a 7MM WSSM. how does it perform?

It's simply a wildcat based on a necked up WSSM case. I don't know of its ballistic specs but it should be somewhere in between the 7mm-08 and .280 Rem. since the factory .25 WSSM is a little behind the .25-06. A fine deer round to be sure but a solution in search of a problem IMO.

ra2bach
10-21-08, 14:57
It's simply a wildcat based on a necked up WSSM case. I don't know of its ballistic specs but it should be somewhere in between the 7mm-08 and .280 Rem. since the factory .25 WSSM is a little behind the .25-06. A fine deer round to be sure but a solution in search of a problem IMO.

thanks.

M1A2_Tanker
11-01-08, 00:14
Vince B's 7mm WSM Record-Breaker The Most Accurate 1000-yard Gun in the UK
Shooter sets UK record of 2.67" for a 5-shot group at 1000 yards with a custom rifle in 7mm Winchester Short Magnum

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek071.html

I own a Bolt gun in both the 7mmWSM and .300WSM. I have considered looking at the custom AR's for these aswell.