30 cal slut
10-20-08, 10:40
Geez, that's a case of ammo for me.

:rolleyes::D

http://texasdarlin.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/walobstermo.jpg

CarlosDJackal
10-20-08, 10:48
$50 for hors d'oeurvs!! :eek:

I don't know about you, but when I see michelle obama, she strikes me as a gold-digging snob (nothing to do with the receipt posted above).

NickB
10-20-08, 11:19
All that and she didn't even bother to order decent Champagne.

thopkins22
10-20-08, 11:30
All that and she didn't even bother to order decent Champagne.

Really though...the way restaurants mark up wine and champagne that's probably a fifteen dollar bottle to go with hundreds of dollars worth of food.

Caviar is ridiculous though. If you go to Azerbaijan you can get a quart of it for like forty dollars instead of thousands.

KintlaLake
10-20-08, 11:33
Gawd, I miss those days...thousand-dollar lunches for four...fifty-dollar cigars...knocking back single-malt on the Sikorsky... :D

rob_s
10-20-08, 12:12
Is this an issue because they are supposed to be the "people's party", or because they're politicians? Do you think that Cindy McCain ever has $500 lunches?

Face it, politics is a profession. The impetus to do well in any profession is to make more money and enjoy the spoils. Like it or not, her husband is a very successful politician, and she's enjoying the spoils.

thopkins22
10-20-08, 12:18
Is this an issue because they are supposed to be the "people's party", or because they're politicians? Do you think that Cindy McCain ever has $500 lunches?

Face it, politics is a profession. The impetus to do well in any profession is to make more money and enjoy the spoils. Like it or not, her husband is a very successful politician, and she's enjoying the spoils.

I think Cindy McCain probably has to think hard to remember the last time she had a lunch that DIDN'T cost $500. I don't think it's a big deal, as you said, she's simply enjoying the fruits of her husband's labor...I do think it takes away from their ability to mock the number of homes John McCain owns though.

rmecapn
10-20-08, 15:15
This is just one more reason I do not give my hard earned money to political campaigns. I don't care which party is spending it.

RogerinTPA
10-20-08, 16:31
Damn, I need to run for an office...

LOKNLOD
10-20-08, 16:37
I'm more worried about that Iranian caviar...HMMM??

thopkins22
10-20-08, 17:31
I'm more worried about that Iranian caviar...HMMM??

Don't be...quality Caviar comes from the Caspian sea, which doesn't leave many options.

KintlaLake
10-20-08, 18:38
Good thing they didn't have pistachio ice cream for dessert, eh? :rolleyes: ;)

The KintlaLake clan actually talked about this during dinner tonight, as an object lesson for the spawns. Among other things, we're raising them to actually think about things rather than jumping to conclusions.

After letting the conversation unwind a bit, I asked, "So, who paid for it?"

The younger spawn smiled and said, "We don't know what we don't know."

Trained him well, we have. :D

We spent the next few minutes trading plausible answers to the question -- the campaign, the DNC, the Obamas from their personal funds, Warren Buffet, an anonymous donor, etc.

We don't know what we don't know. Priceless. :cool:

10MMGary
10-20-08, 19:01
. The impetus to do well in any profession is to make more money and enjoy the spoils. Like it or not, her husband is a very successful politician, and she's enjoying the spoils.

Actually Rob her family owns one of if not the largest Anheuser<sp? Busch distributorship in the USA, and she is the sole Heiress to the family fortune:eek:. Her money makes his seem like pocket change. God bless them both I say. They have also given away countless millions over the years as well.

Gutshot John
10-20-08, 19:03
The campaign almost certainly paid for it through soft money contributions. It's one of the perks.

LOKNLOD
10-20-08, 20:14
Don't be...quality Caviar comes from the Caspian sea, which doesn't leave many options.

I was just joshin', but honestly I'm more concerned with the judgement call that fish eggs are not only edible, but that they're a delicacy worth $150.

Really though, expensive dinners for rich folks? Who'da thunk it? This isn't a big deal. He's been flying all over the world in a private airliner, this is chump change.

Gutshot John
10-20-08, 22:26
Caviar is pretty freakin awesome and no not all of it comes from the Caspian Sea. You can actually get decent North American caviar but the best either comes from Iran or Russia. Try it sometime. My only complaint is that he could have gotten better caviar for less if he knew what the hell he was doing.

Seriously though I can't believe we'd begrudge a guy a top-flight dinner in NYC, so what if his campaign has to pay for it.

I couldn't care less.

Voodoochild
10-20-08, 22:39
KintlaLake the correct answer would be the American Tax Payer paid for that spread.

mattjmcd
10-20-08, 23:08
meh. $44 for bubbly of any brand is a steal at a place like the Waldorf.

I expect it is a wild ride on The Trail. She seems to be enjoying it. With an ounce of luck, her enjoyment will be confined to campaign hotel stops and not the White House.

chadbag
10-21-08, 00:43
Caviar is pretty freakin awesome and no not all of it comes from the Caspian Sea. You can actually get decent North American caviar but the best either comes from Iran or Russia. Try it sometime. My only complaint is that he could have gotten better caviar for less if he knew what the hell he was doing.

Seriously though I can't believe we'd begrudge a guy a top-flight dinner in NYC, so what if his campaign has to pay for it.

I couldn't care less.

true. It is just the perception it gives. Obama the "common man" fighting for "fairness".

If he can afford it (which he can), more power to him. Even if it came from campaign funds. But the perception it leaves behind at this point of time is not a good one.

chadbag
10-21-08, 00:47
I was just joshin', but honestly I'm more concerned with the judgement call that fish eggs are not only edible, but that they're a delicacy worth $150.

OFF TOPIC ALERT

While I tend to agree with you, the wife is from Japan and fish eggs are eaten there as well -- but not the same sort, ie, not caviar.

I watched this thing on Modern Marvels about this huge factory ship (US) that fishes Pollack off of Alaska 2x a year. Most all pollack (think McDonalds and other fish burgers and most fish sticks and all sorts of other things) comes from this one ship. They also make fish oil, fish meal, and all sorts of things out of the pollack. And fish paste for Japan.

But guess what. All the income from all the fish sticks, fish filets, fish meal/fertilizer, etc that they make only covers the cost of running the ship. ALL their profit comes from selling the pollack fish eggs they harvest to Japan where they are considered a delicacy...

They run a huge factory ship and only break even on the fish. The fish eggs (roe) is where the money is...