PDA

View Full Version : What Grip Plugs for Glocks?

Race
10-20-08, 12:52
I need to order some grip plugs for some Glock 19s and 17s. Who makes the best ones and where can they be found?

Thanks a million (after taxes).

sl4mdaddy
10-20-08, 13:04
Don't know what the 'best' one is but I use the Scherer in my G23:

http://glockparts.com/store/category/6gkk/Plugs.html

graffex
10-20-08, 14:30
I would advise you just save you money. Plugs are a waste IMHO.

IrishDevil
10-20-08, 14:52
I use the Pearce model, I pick them up at a local shop for $6.

stony275
10-20-08, 14:59
I would advise you just save you money. Plugs are a waste IMHO.

If I recall LAV's recommendations for a Glock correctly they are:

1: Replace the plastic dovetail fillers (aka Glock sights) with quality metal sights.

2: Replace the factory mag release with his mag release.

3: Install a plug. (It keeps dirt, sand and other contaminants from getting into the inner workings of the Glock. In a "sugar cookie" test this is how sand got into a Glock's triggerworks to cause issues.)

4: Stick to 9mm for your choice of caliber.

I have complied with all of the above (Glock 17) and do not regret it.

LOKNLOD
10-20-08, 15:03
Which plugs are the ones that fit flush? Some look like they stick out of the butt past the mag.

Mr. Clean
10-20-08, 15:28
I adhere to all four of LAV's recommendations as well.

To help the OP with his initial question ... I have used these from Bravo Company:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Glock-Grip-Plug-p/glock%20grip%20plug.htm

I like them because they are slightly "scalloped" on the bottom which still allows a decent grip on the magazine should a failure require you to yank it out.

Bravo Co is one of the authorized dealers here at M4C and also carries the Vickers Mag Release as well.

Mr. Clean
10-20-08, 15:34
Which plugs are the ones that fit flush? Some look like they stick out of the butt past the mag.

Sorry ... I forgot to mention in my reply ... the plugs from Bravo fit flush. I'm not sure on the others.

bullitt5172
10-21-08, 09:44

1: Replace the plastic dovetail fillers (aka Glock sights) with quality metal sights.

3: Install a plug. (It keeps dirt, sand and other contaminants from getting into the inner workings of the Glock. In a "sugar cookie" test this is how sand got into a Glock's triggerworks to cause issues.)

You would be correct Stony!!

654Boomer
10-21-08, 15:36
Greetings,

I purchased the Backstrap Channel Insert [BCI] from the following:

http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=50

It does have the "GlockMeister" logo, but is in a dark gold color lettering--it is barely visible. It is contoured and fits flush into the grip as a "butt-plug."

I too found the recommendations from Mr. Vickers quite useful, hence my purchase. Excellent quality and a cheap $7 purchase in my opinion.

M4arc
10-21-08, 15:39
I just order the Jentra plugs from Lone Wolf (http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=147).

Shihan
10-21-08, 18:43
I have always wondered why Glocks dont come with a plug?

subzero
10-21-08, 19:11
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18346&highlight=glock+grip+plug

evilmonkey
10-21-08, 22:07
get the pearce. They have a little slant to make your reloads a little quicker

uscbigdawg
10-22-08, 08:19
I use the JP magwell/plug on my carry/teaching/training Glock 22. Both are aluminum and therefore don't add a lot of weight. I want the weight out on the muzzle anyways.

Others include the Seattle Slug and then the regular plastic butt plug ;) you can get from Dillon and other places.

Rich

Andyd
10-22-08, 09:59
Thesse are the best deal unless you want a slug plug as a mag guide.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=951852&t=11082005

Price is for two.

Gemmemk1
12-24-08, 17:34
I got mine from www.Glockworld.com ( nothing to do with Glock ) for a good price and fast shipping. I two would like Glock to put all needed parts on their guns. They could short the gun more parts and make even more on them. Don't you think Glock could spend the extra $ 1.00 or 2 to finish the build. VERY CHEEP ON THEIR PART IF YOU ASK ME! I LIKE MY G19 AND WOULD HAVE PAID FOR THE BUTT PLUG!!!!!! THE SHIPPING WAS HIGER THAN THE PLUG. THANKS GLOCK!!!

Heavy Metal
12-24-08, 18:19

I have done likewise.

Robb Jensen
12-24-08, 18:34
get the pearce. They have a little slant to make your reloads a little quicker

I use the Pearce as well.

My carry Glocks are my 17, 19 and 26. All have Pearce plugs.

Matt Edwards
12-25-08, 09:56
I have both the pearce and the gentra. The pearce is more beveled and there is a slight slope toward the mag well which I find helpfull durring reloads. Good luck.

JonInWA
12-25-08, 12:42
If you're in a sandy environment, or one where there's a liklihood of encountering high velocity sand/dirt/dust, I'll conceed that a grip plug can be useful; otherwise, I'd just leave the cavity open to allow water, condensate, debris, etc. an exit point.

If you're going to use a grip plug, I'd recommend one that will both remain in place during firing, and yet be fairly easy to remove. One with a detent button that snaps into the lanyard hole would seem to fulfull both criteria.

Alternatively, there's the field expedient technique of merely wadding up a bit of tape, putting it into the cavity, and then sealing the cavity off with another piece of tape for those occasions when the need for a plug arises.

Best, Jon

Submariner
12-25-08, 13:05

"Glock Perfection";)

Jay Cunningham
12-25-08, 13:06
I use the Glockmeister one.

Cold Zero
12-25-08, 14:59
I also use the Glockmeister one.

deltaARman
12-25-08, 22:27
I agree with putting a plug in your glock, but a lot of people on here are agreeing with LAV's requirments for a glock, my question why stick with the 9mm?

When General John T. Thompson was developing the thompson he tryed many hand gun rounds and there impact on slabs of meat. and found that the 45 had a lot more impact on the meat. Without a HP the 9mm has a horrible take down %.
Thats why cops don't carry the caliber b/c they are not alowed to use HP's.

I'm not trying to start an argument just currious why to stick with the 9mm?

Dport
12-25-08, 22:32
I agree with putting a plug in your glock, but a lot of people on here are agreeing with LAV's requirments for a glock, my question why stick with the 9mm?

When General John T. Thompson was developing the thompson he tryed many hand gun rounds and there impact on slabs of meat. and found that the 45 had a lot more impact on the meat. Without a HP the 9mm has a horrible take down %.

Simple. The 9mm Glock has proven to be the most reliable of all the Glock models. Reliability first.

Keesh
12-25-08, 23:05

Maybe some PDs aren't allowed to carry HPs but the majority do carry HPs. Ballistic technology has greatly improved since the Thompson was developed. Check out Terminal Ballistics Forum here, lots of good info.

Matt Edwards
12-26-08, 10:56

Dport beat me (us) to it. The 9mm Glock is the most relaible and the most durrable. The Glock is the best perfromer in this caliber. In other calibers, other platforms may be better.

ToddG
12-26-08, 15:03
Thats why cops don't carry the caliber b/c they are not alowed to use HP's

Wow. Where to begin?

What was being used to measure "impact" in Thompson's tests?

What LE agencies are prohibited from using JHP ammo?

What relevance do you think a century-old test has today in light of modern ballistics testing and projectile development?

kgreen
12-26-08, 19:58
I need to order some grip plugs for some Glock 19s and 17s. Who makes the best ones and where can they be found?

Thanks a million (after taxes).

I like the Pearce for the full size Glocks and the Scherer SP-1 for the 19 size pistols.

TroyTK
12-27-08, 13:40
What LE agencies are prohibited from using JHP ammo?

The only agency I have heard of is Detroit PD. Political correctness at its worse.

deltaARman
12-28-08, 13:52
Sorry guys I meant military:o, thats why I was talking about general thompson. And I wasn't trying to down play the 9mm, I own a model 17 and a 21. And I am closing in on 5000 rounds through the 21 and haven't had one jam since I got past a 100 rounds or so. And almost mirrored results with the 17 So I just don't understand the reliability factor. I think Glock makes some great guns weather it be in 9 or 45.

FAB45
03-04-13, 23:27
I just ordered some from glockstore.com, they have flush and extended ones. Never used them before figured it wouldn't hurt, keep the sand out during any hard use training.

Edit: the TacTv episode on Glock mods reminded me I should get grip plugs.

Striker6
03-05-13, 22:00
I use Glockmeister's plugs in my 17 and 19.

Hound_va
03-06-13, 19:43
Sorry guys I meant military:o, thats why I was talking about general thompson.

Thats why the military don't carry the caliber b/c they are not alowed to use HP's

If one inserts the word military in place of cops in your statement, it still makes no sense.

TElmer2
03-06-13, 20:12
I use the Glockmeister plug in my G-Locks.

I think there is a difference in using them in training during drills and I have experience with them in classes and I have found that the plugs do help with reloads under stress; this includes watching other students.

The back of the magazine has much less of a chance to get caught on the back of the magwell.

T2C
03-07-13, 00:17
Scherer. I used one on my duty pistol for over 12 years to keep out the snow, dirt, etc.

DocH
03-07-13, 07:43
Use one that plugs the channel! Let's move this to the knowledge based threads and title it "The seriousness of grip plug selection for Glocks." :suicide2:
I'm holding out for the Haley skimmer plug,myself.

Street Dog
03-07-13, 09:39
The only agency I have heard of is Detroit PD. Political correctness at its worse.
There are more than you would imagine. A county Sheriff's office in my area is required to carry ball (45ACP).

To get back on track, I use the Glockmeister grip plugs.

RagweedZulu
03-08-13, 18:44
I subscribe to the plug idea to keep big garbage out of your Glocks. Pour some sand in that gap and tell me it won't completely booger up your Glock. Even your 100% reliable 9mm Glocks.

About 20 years ago I was working with a group oversees and the SOP for our Glock 19s was to shove a little putty up there, then roll up local currency and insert it. We folded the ends to wedge it in tight. Bam! A whole new meaning to "gun money". It worked great and became very useful more than once.

NeoNeanderthal
03-08-13, 19:25
The op asked for the opinions on which grip plugs were the best. This isnt a debate about weather or not you need a 10 dollar part or not. He has decided to get one, so why dont we help him out with our personal experiences.

I've got this one from BCM.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Glock-Grip-Plug-p/glock%20grip%20plug.htm

Fits flush and has a little bit of a slope to help guide the mag in. Sorry its sold out right now.

NeoNeanderthal
03-08-13, 19:27

And you sir, should not post whilst high anymore.

ST911
03-08-13, 20:00
The op asked for the opinions on which grip plugs were the best.

You guys realize that he asked it about 4-1/2 years ago, right?

munch520
03-08-13, 20:27
You guys realize that he asked it about 4-1/2 years ago, right?

:laugh:

And the answers still the same! Whatever plastic part plugs the hole.

EzGoingKev
03-09-13, 12:16
Since this thread has been brought back from the dead -

I have the Pearce brand grip plugs. They fit fine in my G19 and G23 but when I tried them in my G17 they fit like shit.

Anyone else run into this?

jp1*
03-10-13, 01:45
Since this thread has been brought back from the dead -

I have the Pearce brand grip plugs. They fit fine in my G19 and G23 but when I tried them in my G17 they fit like shit.

Anyone else run into this?

I have experienced the same thing with my two Glocks, I used to have a Glock 19 Gen 2 and the Pearce plug fit alright. My newest Glock is a Gen 3 17 and it fits a bit sloppily. I remedied that by using silicone adhesive. It works fine and no more slop.

trinydex
03-11-13, 16:44

i use the glockmeister ones, i like how they fit flush.

for the g26 since there's no lanyard hole for the plug to snap into, i stippled mine and crammed it up there after i i lost one and the second almost fell out twice. haven't had a problem since the stippling.

EzGoingKev
03-11-13, 17:12
I have experienced the same thing with my two Glocks, I used to have a Glock 19 Gen 2 and the Pearce plug fit alright. My newest Glock is a Gen 3 17 and it fits a bit sloppily. I remedied that by using silicone adhesive. It works fine and no more slop.
Mine do not fit sloppy, they just do not fit the full size pistols correctly, like it does not fit in all the way.

officerX
03-14-13, 13:24
I prefer Pearce and get them from eBay.

Uncle_Remus
03-14-13, 13:42
Glockmeister.....

Cosmo M3
03-14-13, 20:55
I've got a Pearce on one of my G19s and it's kinda loose

Glockmeister hands down

Steve S.
03-14-13, 21:24
:laugh:

Whatever plastic part plugs the hole.

...... nobody is going to take this one?

:)

sammage
03-14-13, 21:26
...... nobody is going to take this one?

:)

(In the voice of Archer) Phrasing!