PDA

View Full Version : What mags does LE read?

WillBrink
04-02-18, 19:50
LE members, what if any mags do you read? Mostly print or net? What type of articles you do you find of value? I have written for both print and E LE mags and was interested to get as sense of what is popular that's LE specific. I just sent an article into a popular print LE publication - written with a co author - on how patrol officers can get the best bang for time spent in the gym. If/when accepted, I'll alert ye rabble here ;)

ggammell
04-02-18, 19:56
Most of the main LE mags are nothing more than catalogs. Lots of flashy pics and little substance. I don’t pay much attention to mags oriented to LE.

Kain
04-02-18, 20:02
Going from the guys I know. Playboy, Hustler, and Duluth Trading.

WillBrink
04-02-18, 20:02
Most of the main LE mags are nothing more than catalogs. Lots of flashy pics and little substance. I don’t pay much attention to mags oriented to LE.

Do you find some better than others content wise?

Averageman
04-02-18, 21:37
How about electronic media Will?

Coal Dragger
04-02-18, 21:59
LE officers can read?

T2C
04-02-18, 22:26
LE officers can read?

Yeah, a few of us can read, but only at a limited level.

A few publications I enjoy reading are American Rifleman, Motorcycle Consumer News, Shooting Times, Inside Kung Fu, and Men's Health Magazine. As far as the physical aspects of the articles I read, I enjoy reading about Krav Maga techniques, physical fitness tips and the intricacies of defensive pistol shooting.

In which periodical will your article be published Will?

Coal Dragger
04-02-18, 22:45
I had to make the joke. Man law dictates that when a cheap shot joke is teed up like that, it must be taken.

T2C
04-02-18, 22:46
I had to make the joke. Man law dictates that when a cheap shot joke is teed up like that, it must be taken.

I would be disappointed if you did not take advantage of the opportunity.

gunnerblue
04-02-18, 23:02
Sports Afield, Handloader and Rifle Mag. Up until recently, the Classic Arms Journal (sadly defunct). As far as modern tactical and LE related topics, I get most of my information from sites such as this. Agreed that LE-specific journals are mostly catalogs.

SteyrAUG
04-03-18, 00:02
MAD, sometimes Cracked.

26 Inf
04-03-18, 01:08
Law and Order, Law Officer. Law Enforcement Technology and Police are all magazines we had laying around at work. A couple of them, maybe all, were free subscriptions, hence as someone mentioned, they were essentially catalogs. There was generally something worth reading in each issue.

The older magazines which officers subscribed to such as Police Product News and the Police Marksman are pretty much defunct, although the Police Marksman has come back as an online magazine, pretty sure I had it for free.

The peace officer associations of various states also publish magazines. The ones I'm aware of essentially use their magazine as a revenue stream, essentially all ads with limited content. Not sure who much they get read.

The International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards and Training sends out the NLEARN newsletter to members. It is a small audience and will reach mainly the professional instructors/trainers at state academies. That might be a target audience for you, IDK.

https://www.iadlest.org/

Chameleox
04-03-18, 04:06
Agreed on the notion that many (most?) LE focused magazines are little more than catalogs or advertisements.

The only two that I've ever had a subscription to are association journals:
The Police Chief (IACP)
The Tactical Edge (NTOA)

These two, more than others, emphasized quality articles vs. ads or "reviews" for the latest gun or piece of nylon, though they're not immune to the phenomenon. They also serve two audiences that aren't always on the same wavelength. A fitness article in The Police Chief might be geared towards an administrator who is trying to implement a department-wide program or reduce injuries. The NTOA guy will be reading for fitness advice for themself or for their team or unit, and likely don't lack for motivation to get moving.

WillBrink
04-03-18, 07:36
How about electronic media Will?

print or E of course.

T2C
04-03-18, 09:06
Wearing a heavy duty belt and sitting in a car for hours on end puts extra wear and tear on the body. There is also wear and tear through bending over to handcuff someone on the ground, administering first aid, etc.

A suggestion for an article would be "Care and Feeding of Your Lower Back." Back strengthening exercises and diet could be major points covered in the article.

BIGUGLY
04-03-18, 09:11
Recoil, Off grid, field and stream. Police One.

zebra20zebra20
04-03-18, 09:20
How to kill Zombies in 5 easy steps is my favorite!

WillBrink
04-03-18, 10:01
Yeah, a few of us can read, but only at a limited level.

A few publications I enjoy reading are American Rifleman, Motorcycle Consumer News, Shooting Times, Inside Kung Fu, and Men's Health Magazine. As far as the physical aspects of the articles I read, I enjoy reading about Krav Maga techniques, physical fitness tips and the intricacies of defensive pistol shooting.

In which periodical will your article be published Will?

I submitted the article to Police Magazine where I have been published in the past.

Such low hanging fruit doh, not worth the effort ;)

Law and Order, Law Officer. Law Enforcement Technology and Police are all magazines we had laying around at work. A couple of them, maybe all, were free subscriptions, hence as someone mentioned, they were essentially catalogs. There was generally something worth reading in each issue.

The older magazines which officers subscribed to such as Police Product News and the Police Marksman are pretty much defunct, although the Police Marksman has come back as an online magazine, pretty sure I had it for free.

The peace officer associations of various states also publish magazines. The ones I'm aware of essentially use their magazine as a revenue stream, essentially all ads with limited content. Not sure who much they get read.

The International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards and Training sends out the NLEARN newsletter to members. It is a small audience and will reach mainly the professional instructors/trainers at state academies. That might be a target audience for you, IDK.

https://www.iadlest.org/

Good list to know, thanx.

Agreed on the notion that many (most?) LE focused magazines are little more than catalogs or advertisements.

The only two that I've ever had a subscription to are association journals:
The Police Chief (IACP)
The Tactical Edge (NTOA)

These two, more than others, emphasized quality articles vs. ads or "reviews" for the latest gun or piece of nylon, though they're not immune to the phenomenon. They also serve two audiences that aren't always on the same wavelength. A fitness article in The Police Chief might be geared towards an administrator who is trying to implement a department-wide program or reduce injuries. The NTOA guy will be reading for fitness advice for themself or for their team or unit, and likely don't lack for motivation to get moving.

I might send something to TE some time. I always forget about that one. If for some reason Police Magazine does not take my latest article, TE might be a good choice.

usmcvet
04-03-18, 10:35
None anymore. I used to subscribe to many but stopped years ago. I will look through the magazines sent to the office when I have time. I’d say online is your best bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-04-18, 10:45
I really don't read magazines, I don't think most of my coworkers do either. We do enjoy the PoliceOne emails and articles though. Higher level brass reads quite a bit about policy changes, budgets, etc.

sidewaysil80
04-04-18, 20:54
“Recoil” is the only magazine I buy/read every issue.

“Tactical Journal” (IDPA member magazine) gets a quick skim or two on the shitter along with w/e free NRA magazine I’m getting.