PDA

View Full Version : POF and LWRC Differences

JSK
10-20-08, 17:08
Interested in purchasing a P-415 or SRT. Would like feedback on the differences. I.e. reliability, cleaning, piston functionality, customer service, accuracy, lead time…..

Devil_Dog
10-20-08, 19:20
Interested in purchasing a P-415 or SRT. Would like feedback on the differences. I.e. reliability, cleaning, piston functionality, customer service, accuracy, lead time…..

LWRC M6A2 COQ 100% good to go.

Customer service is top tier, lead time vares, mine was 60 days on a SBR. Cleaning in like nothing I have ever seen with a DI carbine or rifle, lets say very easy. Reliability, again good to go! No issues over 5K rounds of 5.56.

And IMO this is the only way to go

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/eshindollar/LWRC%20M6A2%20CQB/IMG_0027.jpg

JSK
10-20-08, 19:40
What's your barrel length?

PPGMD
10-20-08, 21:32
Reliability:
I've shot both, and I've seen both used in carbine classes. I really don't think that there is a huge difference, I seem to see LWRC issues come up just like POF issues.

Cleaning:
I didn't do any in depth comparison, so I honestly can't say for sure. My POF stays fairly clean.

Piston functionality:
Not sure what you mean, do you mean options? If so the POF system has one more option, a suppressor setting, but the new M6A3 has 4 settings for the gas system.

Customer service:
Never dealt with LWRC service, but I have heard good things. I have dealt with POF, every time I called I was able to get an answer quickly. Don't bother with email, that annoys me, but that is pretty normal.

Accuracy:
Haven't tested that in a long time, but it was just over 1 MOA at 100 yards with Blackhills match ammo out of a 9.25" barrel. LWRC will likely deliver similar results.

Lead time:
If you look around you can find both in stock, but both have a descent wait at the moment.

My opinion:
If I were buying a piston gun today I would wait. We just saw the release of the LMT piston, LWRC is releasing their M6A3, Adams Arms has their own piston uppers that they are going to be releasing. Add in the FN SCAR-L and the Bushmaster ACR, if you wait you will get more options as some of the designs mature.

Robb Jensen
10-20-08, 21:34

Of the two the LWRC is a far better system. I've shot and sold both.

Cohibra45
10-21-08, 08:09
Do all the reading you can and ask all the questions..........I ended up buying the LMT MRP CQB piston and I'm very satisfied!!!:D One of the reasons I bought the LMT is the ability to change calibers easily and quickly without having to buy and change complete uppers!!!

BTW, they all are around the same price point, so don't let that be an issue.

Take care,

Kelly

rightwingmaniac
10-21-08, 21:51
i own both. i have a 16" pof and a lwrc 14.5 w/ a p/a flash hider m6a2 srt in 6.8.they both are bad ass guns, but there are differences.

pof-
1) better piston system. easier to remove. less parts. fal type
2) chrome bcg. with 1 piece carrier key. not full auto though. super slick
3) bigger rail platform. heavier. stands higher.
4) fluted barrel. 4150 cmv. no chrome lining. not available in 14.5 w/ p/a flash hider.
5) feed ramps not chromed. not integrated.
6) not available in 6.8

lwrc-
1) good piston system. have to take off rail to access. multiple pieces.
2) full auto bcg. staked carrier key. pretty slick.
3) smaller rail system. lighter. does not add height.
4) chf barrel. not chrome lined. available in 14.5 w/ p/a flash hider.
5) chromed and intergrated feed ramps.
6) available in 6.8

its hard to choose but if i had to i would say the lwrc barely wins by a hair. they need to develop a 1 piece bcg that is chrome plated and i would be completely sold. having a smaller, lighter, shorter gun in 6.8 is an awesome feeling to have. you should see the looks i get at the range.

Patrick Aherne
10-21-08, 22:41
I've been in classes with guys running LWRC and POF piston guns; the LWRC guns ran, the POF ones didn't.

rightwingmaniac
10-21-08, 23:12
patrick- none of the pofs ran in your class? none of them? wow! i never had one problem with mine. not one. no hiccups at all, and ive put some serious training thru it. maybe im one of the lucky ones. what problems were they having in class? i own both the lwrc and pof. both are beasts. especially the 6.8spc. im very happy with both of my rifles.:D

JSK
10-22-08, 06:08
I really do appreciate everyone's input. Very helpful. Keep it coming.

Spurholder
10-22-08, 09:41
I just received my M6A1 that was backordered since February a couple of days ago.

Mine is configured with a 14.7" CHF barrel with a PA'd USGI birdcage. The barrel has a SBN/Melonite treatment rather than chrome lining. All piston parts are also treated.

My experience with LWRC required a lot of patience. Yes, they moved their factory, changed the structure of their company and other things but did, in my very humble opinion, a rather poor job of keeping their customers informed as to the goings-on. Despite this, and based on the limited amount of info coming out that the weapon would be worth the wait, I sucked it up and didn't cancel my order.

Things started getting better after products started shipping from their new location in Maryland. More people were hired, and now their CS is very responsive. Still, it's a young company with lots of new employees, so expect things like the weapon shipping without a manual, or something else that'll take an additional phone call or two to fix.

sideshowbob
10-22-08, 09:53
My experience with LWRC required a lot of patience. Yes, they moved their factory, changed the structure of their company and other things but did, in my very humble opinion, a rather poor job of keeping their customers informed as to the goings-on. Despite this, and based on the limited amount of info coming out that the weapon would be worth the wait, I sucked it up and didn't cancel my order.

I just received my M6A2 ordered in February, I was in the exact same position. Customer service is still a bit lacking, and QC is not up to par. They initially sent me the wrong gun.

Nevertheless, their products are excellent. I would recommend buying from a dealer as opposed to buying direct. I am looking forward to the SABR, but without the hassle and confusion.

crash5150
10-22-08, 09:55
I ordered both a POF 415 and a LWRC M6 6.8 in January 08. I just received the POF and was advised that my LWRC 6.8 is two weeks out. I haven't been to the range with the POF yet, but if it shoots as good as it looks, the wait will definitely be worth it. Looking forward to getting in the LWRC, 9-10 months is a long time to wait. You know what they say, you get what you pay for, hopefully that counts in time too. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

eternal24k
10-25-08, 22:06
Has anybody broken down the LWRC and compared it to LMT?

Sierrahotel83
11-26-08, 16:28
I finally had a chance to handle a LWRC M6a2 at a gun shop I thought that I was going to drool on myself I am in love...

Devil_Dog
11-26-08, 16:42
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/eshindollar/My%20LWRC%20SBR/IMG_0009.jpg

Robb Jensen
11-26-08, 19:30
LWRC sort of like Chevy/GMC, POF sort of like AMC.

variablebinary
11-26-08, 21:13
Tried both, and I prefer LWRC. Everything about their design is top notch. I'd take LWRC over any piston AR15 coming out of Germany in fact

Though I wonder why my last LWRC thread was deleted...

http://home.comcast.net/~firearmspics/lwrcsbr2.jpg