PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Gas Block Recommendations

Achilles11B
04-05-18, 08:17
I’m building an SPR-ish rifle. The barrel is a 18” WOA SPR barrel with rifle gas and 1-7 twist. I plan on running it suppressed exclusively. I’ve been looking st adjustable gas blocks, especially JP Rifle’s offering. I’ve also been looking at SLR Rifleworks and Superlative Arms. The handguard I’ll be using has a 1.3” inside diameter. If anyone has any recommendations for an adjustable gas block, I’d appreciate it. I’m a strong proponent of the ‘buy once, cry once’ doctrine so if it’s a little on the pricy side that’s ok. Thanks in advance.

Bob Sacamano
04-05-18, 09:00
Dont bother with an adjustable GB. Get a BRT MicroTune GB if barrel is improperly ported. Better yet, ask WOA to drill a smaller port or find a vendor that will.

wigbones
04-05-18, 09:06
After doing my own research on the subject a while ago i decided on the SLR. I haven't had any issues with it thus far. It sits under an NSR handguard and adjustments are easy with the longer ball driver I bought with it.

morpheus6d9
04-05-18, 09:10
i went with odin works

Ned Christiansen
04-05-18, 10:00
https://www.innovativearms.com/war/

cdmiller
04-05-18, 21:27
https://www.innovativearms.com/war/

Ned,

I have been thinking about one of these for an ~8” .300BLK upper I am planning because I really like the “just flip the switch” idea. That said, I wasn’t sure it was worth the cost and I have never known anyone who had personal experience with one. Could you please elaborate on your recommendation?

Thanks,
Craig

Clint
04-05-18, 22:19
A dedicated suppressed setup only needs a smaller port to run properly.

No need to adjust on the fly.

The MicroTUNE gas block does this nicely.

Pappabear
04-05-18, 22:36
Clints micro tune ports work, as do adjustable gas blocks. Odin and SLR are the tops in that category.

PB

everready73
04-06-18, 07:42
I would go with the MIcro Tune, but if you go adjustable Right To Bear has good prices on the SLR ones

Ned Christiansen
04-08-18, 09:40
I wrote up the Innovative Arms upper in the April 2014 SWAT. It used to be available for download but I could not find it just now. Anyway-- externally, the only clue that it's there is the switch. They have it in a few different versions, like it you have a 16" mid-length system,the WAR is "jetted" a little differently than for a 14.5" carbine system-- as I understand it.

I would agree that for a dedicated system, just having the right porting up front would be best, and Micro Tune, which I have not yet had occasion to use, ought to be the way to get there. But for the flexibility of running both ways, the WAR is super simple and intuitive. No need to wonder what setting you're on or if it has self-adjusted-- if the lever is horizontal you're on "open". If it's vertical you're on "restricted"..... just like any gas valve.

The body of the device is built into the upper, and part of it extends rearward, acting as the rearmost part of the gas tube. So, downside, the system takes a special, short gas tube that just plugs into the front of the upper (which comes with it). Upsides to this, this way there is no wear on the GT since the carrier key is not wearing on it. And if you did need to replace it, I think it is as simple as getting a "regular" gas tube and cutting it to length. Of course then the part of the WAR that the carrier key moves over becomes a wear part, IF there is any misalignment, but in the several I have worked with there simply is none. Anyway I suspect that part of the WAR is probably harder than a regular gas tube and so more wear resistant.

I think the closer to the gas port you can dial it down the better. There are some good adjustable gas blocks out there but when they're under the hand guard things get complicated sometimes. The WAR keeps it simple and tool-less.

Fatorangecat
04-08-18, 10:06
I have had a couple SLR gas blocks and they are very nice. If you go with a WOA barrel the gas block will fit extremely tight but once it is installed you will love how well it fits.

Achilles11B
04-08-18, 10:24
I appreciate all the good recommendations. I like the idea of the Innovative Arms upper but I’m running rifle-length gas. I’m giving SLR and Odin a hard look, and paying closer attention to the inside diameters of the billions of good option for free-float tubes out there.

cdmiller
04-08-18, 10:24
I wrote up the Innovative Arms upper in the April 2014 SWAT. It used to be available for download but I could not find it just now. ... (Snip) ... I think the closer to the gas port you can dial it down the better. There are some good adjustable gas blocks out there but when they're under the hand guard things get complicated sometimes. The WAR keeps it simple and tool-less.

Thanks Ned. Since I’m not planning a dedicated suppressed upper, I may end up with one of these. We shall see since I have to get 3 other projects finished first. -Craig

Ned Christiansen
04-25-18, 22:15
Anybody seen / used these? I’ve used three and they are pretty dang good, esp. for ~ $75. They are well made and simple; heat treated, spring loaded detent for valve position. This one operates via screwdriver, a guy could put a knob on it I reckon. It set screws on but they are soft enough to drill for a crosspin.

https://i.imgur.com/1YyUWa5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wrFvMPe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6QKXVTT.jpg

HMM
04-26-18, 20:25
I've got several SLRs, they flat out work!

czgunner
04-26-18, 21:37
I’m a big fan of the Superlative Arms gas blocks.

sagecarbina
04-27-18, 00:13
Sentry Seven looks like a solid unit, and at that price point it should be. On the issue of detent adjustments vs. infinite linear adjustments is the benefit just that you don't have a securing screw to hold the linear adjustment?...a single step vs. a two step? The detent "count" issue is fine, but it's still a number you have to remember or record for future settings when you change ammo, suppressor, and such. With the linear adjustment you have to remember a "clocking" or rotation number. With a detent system it's how many "clicks". With a linear system it's how much movement on the imaginary clock face or rotations. As far as speed goes, it's definitely quicker on the detent system, but is this really an issue where speed is that important?...maybe a 5 second move with the detent and maybe 20 seconds with the linear? I have one detent adjust gas block and three linear adjust blocks. They all work great. The last adjustable block I bought was a Seekins at about $55. It's linear. It works as well as the higher dollar detent unit I have. I have absolutely no doubt the Sentry is top drawer in its quality, but for you folks here who have one, is it worth twice the price? And really, my question has more to do with detent over linear unless the Sentry has a truly obvious advantage in one of its other features.

MistWolf
04-27-18, 03:00
Sentry Seven...for you folks here who have one, is it worth twice the price?

Yes. Yes, it is. I wouldn't waste my time with an adjustment screw without the detents because there's nothing to keep them from backing out. The detents hold the adjustment screw in place so that once adjusted, the settings don't change themselves. That alone makes the SLR worth the extra money.

Having detents also means the adjustments are repeatable. This is very important when tuning an AR for best reliable function, especially when trying different combinations of springs & buffers.

The SLR was a reliable gas block until I stripped the the head of the adjuster screw. When I contacted SLR about getting replacement parts, they sent me a new and improved gas block, free of charge. SLR backs their products.

everready73
04-27-18, 07:35
Right to Bear has the SLR Gas blocks for 103.99 after you add it to your cart and choose the option without the gas tube. With gas tube (nitirde) its $110. Good price and i have ordered a bunch from them. Fast shipping and good service

Vegasshooter
04-28-18, 09:00
This is an are that I have had quite a bit of experience with lately. I, on a whim, decided to try and adjustable gas block. I went with the Superlative Arms for the fact that since I run suppressed sometimes, they have a bleed off valve. The thing that makes the Superlative so cool is that it can be run as a normal, restrictive block, or, when running a can, and you don’t want ANY excess pressure going into your suppressor, you can run the block as a bleed off. Running it this way allows the excess gas to be vented out the block, and NOT down your barrel into your suppressor. I really like the blocks. They work absolutely as advertised. It has allowed me to get the block adjusted to exactly the point that my rifle functions 100% reliably, but NO excess gas is vented down the barrel. They are made in a way as the adjustment detention is external, thus it will not be carboned up and stick. I have since installed one on every rifle I shoot. I have about 1000 rounds down the pipe on my main gun. I shot it until it was absolutely filthy dirty, with zero malfunctions.

I am a fan, and a big believer now.

masakari
04-29-18, 07:31
I’m a big fan of the Superlative Arms gas blocks.

I have one of those and it seems to work. I have very few rounds through it so far though. What's your experience been?

This is an are that I have had quite a bit of experience with lately. I, on a whim, decided to try and adjustable gas block. I went with the Superlative Arms for the fact that since I run suppressed sometimes, they have a bleed off valve. The thing that makes the Superlative so cool is that it can be run as a normal, restrictive block, or, when running a can, and you don’t want ANY excess pressure going into your suppressor, you can run the block as a bleed off. Running it this way allows the excess gas to be vented out the block, and NOT down your barrel into your suppressor. I really like the blocks. They work absolutely as advertised. It has allowed me to get the block adjusted to exactly the point that my rifle functions 100% reliably, but NO excess gas is vented down the barrel. They are made in a way as the adjustment detention is external, thus it will not be carboned up and stick. I have since installed one on every rifle I shoot. I have about 1000 rounds down the pipe on my main gun. I shot it until it was absolutely filthy dirty, with zero malfunctions.

I am a fan, and a big believer now.

Does your adjustment feel kind of loose? Mine is very easy to adjust.

czgunner
04-29-18, 09:49
I have one of those and it seems to work. I have very few rounds through it so far though. What's your experience been?

I love them. I only shoot suppressed, and the bleed off position keeps even more gas out of my face.
I’ve got 4 and they are the only block I buy now.

308sako
04-29-18, 10:04
Regards the Superlative, I must be the resident dummy as I can't seem to get the bleed off to work for me. 11.5" BCM barrel/SilencerCo Omega.

Best luck I have had is with the Noveske Switchblocks, but they are a more specific application and don't allow for tuning the gas. After that the JP adjustables work fine for me as well.

Going against the grain to some extent I prefer the clamp on style, and have not witnessed any issues with operational failure of these units. Of course YMMV.