PDA

View Full Version : BCM Gas Block Removal

bjw182005
04-07-18, 22:42
All,

So as per usual, the BCM gas block is very well placed and it seems as though there is a liberal amount of red loctite and unicorn semen that has made it nearly impossible to remove. The set screws are pretty well stuck even after using a lot of Uncure and heat via heat gun so hot the upper couldnt be handled with bare hands. Any ideas on getting these stuck set screws out? Last option is to just drill them out, but i am trying to avoid it. Ideas?

Gewehr3
04-08-18, 00:18
http://www.bsi-inc.com/hardware/un_cure.html

Also, there was a thread about this issue awhile back.

Iraqgunz
04-08-18, 01:50
Apparently you missed the part where he mentioned using it already.

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hardware/un_cure.html

Also, there was a thread about this issue awhile back.

Iraqgunz
04-08-18, 02:04
So here is the main issue as I see it (having not only built many of these but also tearing them apart for modification). The set screw used is very aggressive and has small micro "teeth" that dig into the barrel dimple.

The particular dimple that BCM uses on most barrels resembles a cone shape. When the screw goes in the small teeth also make contact with the side wall of the cone. This means that even after you defeat the Loctite, the screw has to break free of the contact it makes with the dimple. In some cases it will not, and you will need to cut the gas block off.

I have had to do this several times.

Lawnchair 04
04-08-18, 06:19
Just did this last month to swap out rails, tried heat to no avail ended up drilling the one out very carefully.

Ryno12
04-08-18, 10:25
A heat gun isn’t gonna cut it. You need to “smartly” apply torch heat.

gunnerblue
04-08-18, 11:02
Stuck screw remover, perhaps? I’ve had good luck with them though I’ve not tried one on a BCM has block.

Gewehr3
04-08-18, 18:29
Apparently you missed the part where he mentioned using it already.

Apparently so...try decaff;)

Swstock
04-08-18, 19:14
I once red-locktited a geissele gas block that I had to eventually remove. I had to use a small butane torch to defeat the locktite. I was originally turning allen keys into twizzlers...even with a heat gun.

It may not be the solution here but I'd try it before cutting a gas block off.

Airhasz
04-08-18, 19:34
I’d rather have to cut off a gas block than have it come loose, good job bcm.

GMZ
04-09-18, 00:26
Ive had good results from getting a sacrificial allen bit red hot, then inserting it into the set screw to transfer the heat in a more focused manner.

You'll ruin the heat treat so don't use a good one. Once it stops glowing, grab an ez-out and it should come out.

AKDoug
04-10-18, 15:32
Ive had good results from getting a sacrificial allen bit red hot, then inserting it into the set screw to transfer the heat in a more focused manner.

You'll ruin the heat treat so don't use a good one. Once it stops glowing, grab an ez-out and it should come out.

I've used soldering irons the same way with limited good results. I am 0-3 of getting out a BCM set screw. The knurled tips on those screws do their jobs. I've had to drill out all three, but once the gas block is off the barrel I was able to clean them up and use them again.