PDA

View Full Version : Someone talk me out of a FN 5.7

feedthemlead
04-08-18, 06:52
I don't know what the interest are out there but I have started my search to purchase a FN 5.7 and I don't know why! Most of the guns I find they are asking over retail for, the ammo is super expensive and the gun doesn't make a lot of practical since to own......but I still want one.

ggammell
04-08-18, 08:04
Shoot at an indoor range? A buddy of mine was asked to stop shooting his because the rounds were chewing up the backstop.

joeg26er
04-08-18, 08:12
Just get a 22 magnum keltec
Very similar ballistics and much cheaper

MegademiC
04-08-18, 08:25
Shoot at an indoor range? A buddy of mine was asked to stop shooting his because the rounds were chewing up the backstop.

I think most indoor ranges (at least around here)are set up to handle rifle rounds, so this would be a non issue.

5.7 expensive to shoot, doesnt really do much a 9mm wouldnt do.

Kain
04-08-18, 08:42
I don't know about being that expensive to shoot.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/500-round-case-57x28-40-grain-tmj-or-fmj-federal-ammo-ae5728a

No worse than 5.56 when in stock. And I have seen sales for the AE 5.7 at even less.

Now, practicality purposes, yeah not something that I am overly impressed with. But, as a range toy or a want gun, there are worse options.

diving dave
04-08-18, 09:36
Always boils down to what is its purpose? I have a PS90, fun little gun and hey, its an FN. But if your looking at a carry gun, I'd say look elsewhere. I primarily use mine for whacking jack rabbits around my property, and even with a 40 grn Vmax, its performance isnt stellar. But anything FN is worth buying in my book.

1986s4
04-08-18, 09:40
Why should anyone talk you out of it? Nobody lifted a finger to talk me out of a Colt .38 super some years ago.. But it became my favorite pistol. I've noticed a lot of 5.7 brass at the range, somebody is buying them. The comparison to the .22 magnum is valid with the exception that center fire ammo is more reliable than rim fire.

Det-Sog
04-08-18, 13:59
Why should anyone talk you out of it? Nobody lifted a finger to talk me out of a Colt .38 super some years ago.. But it became my favorite pistol. I've noticed a lot of 5.7 brass at the range, somebody is buying them. The comparison to the .22 magnum is valid with the exception that center fire ammo is more reliable than rim fire.

Agreed. As has been beaten to death over and over... The 5-7 just does not have the stopping power to carry for SD or use for HD. At least your .38 super is practical. It's like my 10mm. Ammo is a little more pricey, but still readily available, and it can be used for hunting (10mm) as well as home/self defense. I would NOT trust my families nor my life on a 5-7 regularly.

OP... I had a 5-7 and sold it when I found out just how poorly it performed as a defense round. The 5-7 is just a Tacti-Cool round. It does not have good terminal performance for defensive purposes. If you just want to get one because it's cool (they are, no dispute), then get one. Imho though, I'd go with the .22 mag for price and availability though.

kerplode
04-08-18, 15:08
I have a 5.7 and a PS90...They're both really well made and are a ton of fun to shoot. The 5.7 is a hoot suppressed!

Yeah, they're not great for SD and people complain that it's "Just a 22 Mag". Whatever. They have no recoil and huge magazines and are fun as hell. Plus, you can get SS198 pretty easily if you were up to carrying it.

If you can afford it, go for it. You might not have the opportunity to buy one if things keep going the way they're going.

Dienekes
04-08-18, 15:42
Well, you got along without it this long....

I just picked up a case of .22LR at a giveaway price, and I KNOW I'll get my money's worth out of that.

yoni
04-08-18, 19:23
For SD it just doesn't make it. We looked at it in Israel, and on 2 legged meat it just didn't make it.

HardToHandle
04-08-18, 20:05
I will add to the chorus. I have had the itch bad myself for a 5.7...
Flat shooting, high velocity, like shooting a CO2 gun, etc...those are accurate statements. 5.7s are cool.

Did a range rental and worked through a few drills. Also took a look at the aftermarket support, ammo suppliers, etc fit a total cost of ownership. My observations that swayed me away:

1) The 5.7 is a less accurate Buckmark with a worse trigger, worse ergonomics and still a .22.
2) The manual of arms and trigger pull are different enough from more serious pistols that it seemed to have limited utility and possibly some negative impact.
3) The ammo is pricey, the good stuff is somewhat dubious and there is not much diversity in suppliers if one of the majors stops production, which is a concern in this still-boutique caliber.
4) It is a rifle round in a pistol. The muzzle flash inside is prodigious, indicating much wasted energy. The pistol also isn’t getting any smaller, because it is a rifle round.

Maybe this isn’t fair, but the lightly built magazines seem likely to crumble up. They felt likely to be damaged in normal Concealed carry use. They seem toy-like and something I would want to lay in deep.

When I asked myself the use case, the 5.7 came up short. I can run Glock 19 with an RMR that has 95% of the effectiveness of a 5.7 with an RMR at less than half the cost, is more concealable and has a supply chain that avoids any single dependencies. On ammo cost, basically gaining and maintaining proficiency was twice the cost of a comparable 9mm. YMMV.

1986s4
04-09-18, 08:50
HardToHandle: Agreed, although I've never shot one. What you said jibes with what I've read from reliable sources. I do like the idea of a smallish rifle round in a pistol, kudos to FN for thinking outside the box. But how about this one:

"The 7.5 FK is a unique round. BRNO Defense lists it at 2000 FPS and 880 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle with the ability to roughly replicate the .44 Magnum in terms of route energy. Accuracy is touted as a 1.5 inches at 100 meters (an interesting mix of units, eh?). The round is rated to pierce Class IIIA ballistic protection (typical combat soft armor is IIIA) at 100 meters as well."

Arik
04-09-18, 09:00
HardToHandle: Agreed, although I've never shot one. What you said jibes with what I've read from reliable sources. I do like the idea of a smallish rifle round in a pistol, kudos to FN for thinking outside the box. But how about this one:

"The 7.5 FK is a unique round. BRNO Defense lists it at 2000 FPS and 880 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle with the ability to roughly replicate the .44 Magnum in terms of route energy. Accuracy is touted as a 1.5 inches at 100 meters (an interesting mix of units, eh?). The round is rated to pierce Class IIIA ballistic protection (typical combat soft armor is IIIA) at 100 meters as well."All that for only $8000! Not including the ammo

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1986s4
04-09-18, 09:08
Come on, who can't afford $8000 for a pistol..? I predict they'll sell dozens of these fine pistols..