PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a fireman?

basilhaydenO
10-20-08, 22:21
I'd like to ask a few questions if possible. Thanks

Joe_Friday
10-21-08, 06:03
Shoot!!! :D Seriously though you can PM me if you like so we do not keep BTT a non pertinent thread, unless you feel it is relevant to all. I have been a career firefighter/EMT for about 12 years and might be able to answer your questions.

Remember911
10-22-08, 10:53
Yes I have been one for 15 years in Columbia Mo. 5 left:D,and 20 years on Boone Co. fire.

Gewehr455
10-22-08, 12:44
I've been a full time firefighter in Cleveland Ohio for 11 years.

Spade
10-22-08, 13:02
brand spanking new firefighter. Still on probation

sshrek
10-22-08, 14:48
I have been a career Fireman for the last four year in Northern Va

firebaby
10-22-08, 20:20
8 years of service here in alabama.

ST911
10-23-08, 11:06
Big truck go vrooom!

Everyone loves firemen...even when they only save the basement. :p

Gutshot John
10-23-08, 12:46
Vol. Paramedic used to do Rescue.

What were the questions out of curiosity.

sphillips
10-23-08, 13:12
Vol Firefighter here in Alabama for the last 14 yrs..

Spade
10-24-08, 12:58
Sounds like I guess he pmed one guy & that was the end of the conversation

spamsammich
10-24-08, 13:19
Ok, then I'll ask a question.

I have a friend in Australia that is a volunteer firefighter. They are coming up on fire season and she is complaining that her issued load bearing equipment is garbage and does not fit her properly, causing quite a bit of discomfort.

Is there a place on the web that I can point her to that may have equipment that would be suitable for her use? She is having a tough time finding stuff locally and has to jump through hoops to get out of using issued gear. Thanks.

SS

Joe_Friday
10-24-08, 16:40
Hey Spade,
BasilhaydenO did PM me and he only had a few questions about hiring procedures and what Chiefs were looking for in candidates. I answered him the best I could but I thought that he had PM'ed each of you with the same question. Oh well.

Spamsammich (you gotta love that name!!!),
My departments only use Lion Apparel by Janesville and it is purchased through NAFECO. Very good people to deal with on a department level basis but I don't know how there CS is with individuals. If it is the same as it is with depts you will be in excellent hands. They sell everything from patches to apparatus but the drawback to them is they do not sell OCONUS. You could purchase and then send to your friend though (just a suggestion).
http://www.nafeco.com/default.aspx

I have never dealt with their fire bags but I am impressed with Stat Packs on the EMS side of the road. They also have a distributor in Australia called "Gearshop" according to their site and this looks like it would fit the bill.
http://www.statpacks.com/fire/spotfire.htm
Tell her I said Good Luck. Most firefighters I know will tell you that they would rather have a dozen house fires than one wildland fire. We sent people to the fires on the Okefenokee last year and they all said that they enjoyed it but all of them were really happy to just pull up to a house with flames showing back on our side of the state!
Hope this helps, Joe

basilhaydenO
10-25-08, 16:39
sorry, haven't been online in a couple of days. Thanks for all of the responses. I am just trying to figure out how to get on with a fire department close to me and had some basic questions that Joe_Friday helped me with.

Robb Jensen
10-25-08, 16:45
I have been a career Fireman for the last four year in Northern Va

I volunteered as a Firefighter/EMT for almost 5yrs in Northern, VA or as sshrek would call it I was a hobbyist ! ;)

Spade
10-27-08, 12:56
Ok, then I'll ask a question.

I have a friend in Australia that is a volunteer firefighter. They are coming up on fire season and she is complaining that her issued load bearing equipment is garbage and does not fit her properly, causing quite a bit of discomfort.

Is there a place on the web that I can point her to that may have equipment that would be suitable for her use? She is having a tough time finding stuff locally and has to jump through hoops to get out of using issued gear. Thanks.

SS

We have a couple of decent local shops here so I have not had any experience with online strores in this area. It may be a mute point as most do have an S.O.P. when it comes to gear

spamsammich
10-27-08, 13:05
They definitely have SOP for gear, but apparently fire crews there can lobby gear. It just takes a while for the change to happen. What I'm not sure of is whether they have a good source of equipment, all I ever here is "my boots are shit, my pack is shit, etc." Some people on her crew believe the issued boots contribute to ankle injuries. It can't hurt to put a bug in bureaucrats ears. Thanks for the suggestions so far, she's browsing the sites.

10MMGary
10-27-08, 13:10
A sign of the times here in the Tampa area if not most all metro areas in FL, new firefighters must all become paramedics as well. Additionally tobacco use is not allowed even on your personal time and one must be tobacco free for at least a year to apply. The young guys & gals seem to think it is worth it as there is a waiting list for the academy for Tampa Fire Rescue.

Here is to all you that run in while others(including me)run out.

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Spade
10-27-08, 13:18
Hey Spade,
BasilhaydenO did PM me and he only had a few questions about hiring procedures and what Chiefs were looking for in candidates. I answered him the best I could but I thought that he had PM'ed each of you with the same question. Oh well.

Spamsammich (you gotta love that name!!!),
My departments only use Lion Apparel by Janesville and it is purchased through NAFECO. Very good people to deal with on a department level basis but I don't know how there CS is with individuals. If it is the same as it is with depts you will be in excellent hands. They sell everything from patches to apparatus but the drawback to them is they do not sell OCONUS. You could purchase and then send to your friend though (just a suggestion).
http://www.nafeco.com/default.aspx

I have never dealt with their fire bags but I am impressed with Stat Packs on the EMS side of the road. They also have a distributor in Australia called "Gearshop" according to their site and this looks like it would fit the bill.
http://www.statpacks.com/fire/spotfire.htm
Tell her I said Good Luck. Most firefighters I know will tell you that they would rather have a dozen house fires than one wildland fire. We sent people to the fires on the Okefenokee last year and they all said that they enjoyed it but all of them were really happy to just pull up to a house with flames showing back on our side of the state!
Hope this helps, Joe

thanks for the heads up Joe

citizensoldier16
10-27-08, 18:10
Paid paramedic in central NC.

Firecop203
10-27-08, 20:25
All of y'all are a bunch of rookies. I retired a year ago from Oklahoma City after 28 years 5 months.

:)