PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Aimpoint M2 and ML2?

Augee
10-28-06, 02:14
Hello,

I'm aware that the M2 is supposed to be NVG capable, and the ML2 not, but what is the functional difference between the two? For the record, I have no intentions of ever owning NVG's privately, so it's not a concern to me, and I have ordered an ML2, but I'm curious as to what about the M2 makes it NVG capable? Or the ML2 incapable. Can you not see through the ML2 with NVG's on? Will the dot not show up? Will it wash out the night vision? If you found yourself in a situation with an ML2 and NVG's, would you be able to just turn off the CCO and use irons, or the PEQ2/4 if you had one?

Thanks,
~Augee

C4IGrant
10-28-06, 15:42
Hello,

I'm aware that the M2 is supposed to be NVG capable, and the ML2 not, but what is the functional difference between the two? For the record, I have no intentions of ever owning NVG's privately, so it's not a concern to me, and I have ordered an ML2, but I'm curious as to what about the M2 makes it NVG capable? Or the ML2 incapable. Can you not see through the ML2 with NVG's on? Will the dot not show up? Will it wash out the night vision? If you found yourself in a situation with an ML2 and NVG's, would you be able to just turn off the CCO and use irons, or the PEQ2/4 if you had one?

Thanks,
~Augee

There is no difference less the NV capability. Basically, the M2 has a VERY low setting that won't burn a dot into your NV system. You can see the dot on a ML2 with you NVG's, but you will most likely do damage to them.

You can of course always use an IR laser and keep the Aimpoint off.

C4

Razorhunter
01-12-07, 23:49
What would the difference between an ML2 and an ML3 be???
Thanks.

Hoplophile
01-13-07, 12:26
What would the difference between an ML2 and an ML3 be???
Thanks.
The exact same differnce as between the M2 and the M3.

FJB
01-18-07, 02:53
Augee and Razorhunter,
The M2, M3, and M4s all have 55 layers of lens coatings vice the standard 5 for the ML series, as well as additional lower settings for NVD use thus their increase in cost.

The difference between the ML/M2 - ML/M3 - ML/M4 is the circuitry that provides electricty to the LED that puts a red dot in the optic. ML/M2s have a 10,000 hour battery life, the ML/M3s have a 50,000 hour battery life, and the new ML/M4s have a 100,000 battery life all on setting 7. There are approx. 8700 hours in a year, 365 X 24. The ML/M4s run on AA battery vice the small litium ones on the ML/M2 & ML/M3 series. As with all things "your mileage may vary."

S/F