PDA

View Full Version : Anderson AR worth keeping?

Kevslatvin
04-16-18, 13:45
So back last fall I sold a dirt bike and took an Anderson AM-15 as a partial trade. I really had no intentions on keeping it had planned on selling it. Sometimes I think about just keeping it but they have a bad rap around here. This one in particular has a 1:9 twist .223 Wylde chamber, free float rail.Center Point scope with illuminated recticle and Nikon mount, and varmint style bi-pod with extendable legs. I already know I'd want a different bolt as this ones not chrome lined or staked properly. Also I don't think the bore is chrome lined. If worth keeping, other than the bolt and maybe an H buffer(It has a standard carbine buffer) what would it need to be a solid rifle?

P.S. I can't remember if it has M4 cuts. I'll have to dig it out and see.

officerX
04-16-18, 13:51
If you have another AR that is a quality unit, I'd sell this one for whatever you could get and buy some mags and ammo.

ginzomatic
04-16-18, 14:12
get a few thousand rounds and torture test it

Kevslatvin
04-16-18, 14:29
I do have one I built a few years back that I'm confident in. Well built a lower and put a completed upper on it anyway.

Vegasshooter
04-16-18, 14:30
I wouldn’t bother keeping it. This is my opinion and reasoning: Anderson lowers aren’t worth a darn. The 1/9 twist is a “hobby grade” twist. It will limit how well your gun shoots the heavies. If the bolt carrier isn’t even staked well, that would lead one to think that the rest of the bolt and bolt carrier aren’t necessarily up to top quality standards. I’ve never even heard of a Center Point scope, and a Nikon mount is not something I would put on a serious gun. I’d look at something like a Geiselle, a NightForce Unimount, even a Badger Mount. So, you’re going to have to get a new bolt, bolt carrier, new barrel, new scope or an Aimpoint and mount. IF you go through all that, you’re still putting it in a very low end receiver that will never be worth any money. I wouldn’t bother. If you were going to replace all those parts, you might as well start over with a gun worth having.
Just my opinion, but I would off it, and put the money into a gun with top shelf components. Otherwise, you’re just polishing a turd.

kerplode
04-16-18, 14:40
As far as I can tell, the firearms market is sill really soft. You won't get much for it now, so unless you're hurting for cash, I'd toss it in a closet and forget about it until the next buying frenzy...

Kevslatvin
04-16-18, 14:55
I’ve never even heard of a Center Point scope, and a Nikon mount is not something I would put on a serious gun.

Center Points are like $80 to $100 from Walmart. Nothing High end for sure. I've been told they're decent for the money. It's pretty much setup as a cheap varmint gun right now.

Don't roast me too bad for saying it on an AR board but if I was gonna put the money towards another rifle I'd like another Saiga AK to convert.

Kevslatvin
04-16-18, 14:56
As far as I can tell, the firearms market is sill really soft. You won't get much for it now, so unless you're hurting for cash, I'd toss it in a closet and forget about it until the next buying frenzy...

May do this as I'm not in a have to sell situation right now.

Hemoglobin
04-16-18, 15:12

This was going to be my response. Wait until the next frenzy and throw it up on TNgunowners.

26 Inf
04-16-18, 16:08

This would be where I'm at. I don't think you'd be able to get enough out of it to counter the fun you'd have beating it around. Shoot it and see what goes wrong.

If the lower allows the rifle to function properly and the pins don't walk out, who cares whose name is on it?

Non-chromed barrels have killed a lot of people and animals over the years, so take it out and zero it with some 55gr and see how it shoots.

Sounds like your savvy enough to figure when you are leaking around the gas key, etc., so use it as a rifle to learn to practice wrenching on if nothing else.

Shoot a couple thousand through it, take care of it as you are doing so, and then sell it, on down the road. You'll probably get as much or more as you would today.

JMO.

The_War_Wagon
04-16-18, 16:20
This was going to be my response. Wait until the next frenzy and throw it up on TNgunowners.

Or Armslist. Or give it to your unprepared brother-in-law, when the flag goes up. :rolleyes:

RHINOWSO
04-16-18, 16:51
Keep it to sell during the next inevitable panic.

RHINOWSO
04-16-18, 16:52
Or Armslist. Or give it to your unprepared brother-in-law, when the flag goes up. :rolleyes:

Lol, yeah the beggars will be getting pump shotguns and a box of buckshot.

Stickman
04-16-18, 17:06

Same thoughts here. It is a used weapon which is most noticeable for being the absolute lowest price and lowest quality obtainable. Wait until it may have some hope of value and then sell it.

BuzzinSATX
04-16-18, 18:00
This would be where I'm at. I don't think you'd be able to get enough out of it to counter the fun you'd have beating it around. Shoot it and see what goes wrong.

If the lower allows the rifle to function properly and the pins don't walk out, who cares whose name is on it?

Non-chromed barrels have killed a lot of people and animals over the years, so take it out and zero it with some 55gr and see how it shoots.

Sounds like your savvy enough to figure when you are leaking around the gas key, etc., so use it as a rifle to learn to practice wrenching on if nothing else.

Shoot a couple thousand through it, take care of it as you are doing so, and then sell it, on down the road. You'll probably get as much or more as you would today.

JMO.

I'm with 26I...just go and shoot it and enjoy it. If it breaks, fix it with better parts. 1 in 9 twist doesn't shoot heavy bullets...so what? Buy up a bunch of decent 55 grain .223/5.56 and blast away. It may just handle them fine. And you can buy Gold Dot/HST/TAP in 55 grain...

ozarkpugs
04-16-18, 19:34
Buzzing &261 are right and I know I'm going to get a lot of hate here but the truth is most people who knock Anderson would not be able to tell me one lower from the other if they were not marked as far as not being chrome lined goes you are not going to be shooting full auto and probably not mag dumping every day so it's probably best it's not because chrome lining is not usually as accurate all things being equal . As far as 1-9 twist I have shot pretty good groups with 65 game Kings and 60 nosler partition with one and most people shoot 55 anyway .The scope is low end but if it works it works ,I have luepold and vortex on ARs but my fun rifle has a Cabela's 3power circle dot . Stake it properly and shoot it or sell it to someone who is not a brand snob .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Kevslatvin
04-17-18, 00:00
I may just sit on it for now and shoot it some. Sell it if the market picks up. I figure if I get a bcg for it I can keep it as a spare for my other one and put this one's original bcg back in it when I sell it.

odugrad
04-17-18, 09:07

I second this.

squid8286
04-17-18, 11:21
The lower itself is fine, if it's in spec. Anything that you need can be replaced on that. You can always get a more expensive upper to go on it, and have a great rifle.

wichaka
04-17-18, 13:00
I've built a few from Anderson lowers, and haven't had a problem yet with them. They've been running with the best of them. I use quality parts throughout, and wouldn't hesitate to use to defend the family. I've got more spendy models, but they share the same make-model of parts.

Plus I'm a horse guy...so it's all good!

kwelz
04-17-18, 15:00
My LGS has an Anderson lower so out of spec that you can't even put a mag in it. They keep it around for entertainment value. Also keep in mind that there is a market springing up for parts to correct the out of spec nature of their lower.

MI_Steve77
04-17-18, 15:04
I may just sit on it for now and shoot it some. Sell it if the market picks up. I figure if I get a bcg for it I can keep it as a spare for my other one and put this one's original bcg back in it when I sell it.

Put a better optic on it and let your buddies shoot it. When one of them tells you how much they love it, sell or trade it to them. I’m all about having entry level trade bait laying around. I have swapped in my favor more times than I can count.

26 Inf
04-17-18, 15:55
I’m all about having entry level trade bait laying around. I have swapped in my favor more times than I can count.

Oh, man. I get attached to stuff - wives, girlfriends, cars, motorcycles, guns, you name it.

If I was a rancher I'd have 5,000 head of 5 year-olds, every one named. And, because I couldn't decide which one was my favorite, and I'd never sell my favorite, I'd never sell one. That puts a severe dent in the whole profit thing.

Kevslatvin
04-17-18, 16:47
Oh, man. I get attached to stuff - wives, girlfriends, cars, motorcycles, guns, you name it.

If I was a rancher I'd have 5,000 head of 5 year-olds, every one named. And, because I couldn't decide which one was my favorite, and I'd never sell my favorite, I'd never sell one. That puts a severe dent in the whole profit thing.

Me too. Hence why I have this dilemma. I should've sold it when I first traded like I had intended As I figured it'd be easier to sell the gun than a dirt bike since I wasn't getting many calls. Then I never listed it for sale and now here I am. Plus it was a private sale( which aren't tracked in TN) if that makes any difference to the conversation at hand.

Kevslatvin
04-17-18, 16:52
My LGS has an Anderson lower so out of spec that you can't even put a mag in it. They keep it around for entertainment value. Also keep in mind that there is a market springing up for parts to correct the out of spec nature of their lower.

It's mostly the upper I'm concerned about. Though I haven't taken any measurements on the lower visually nothing jumps out when comparing it to my other ar and a stripped Palmetto State lower I have laying around. IIRC I checked when I got it and PMags drop free.

ozarkpugs
04-17-18, 18:54
Just curious here ,why other than what people, who have not seen or shot the gun said, makes you not like the upper? Have you considered shooting it beside your other AR ? With the same scope if possible and compare . switch lowers and then re try . It may become your go to gun .

Edm
04-17-18, 19:04
Shoot it. I’m guessing it was shot by the previous owner? See how it shoots. I also wouldn’t sell at this time. Save it for when prices go up if you want to rid yourself of it.

larry starling
04-17-18, 19:16
Same thoughts here. It is a used weapon which is most noticeable for being the absolute lowest price and lowest quality obtainable. Wait until it may have some hope of value and then sell it. On a positive note its better than a blackthorne!!!!!

Kevslatvin
04-17-18, 19:30
Just curious here ,why other than what people, who have not seen or shot the gun said, makes you not like the upper? Have you considered shooting it beside your other AR ? With the same scope if possible and compare . switch lowers and then re try . It may become your go to gun .

Nothing really. It's not T marked like my other one but that's trivial really. Mainly Anderson seems to have the reputation around here of being pretty low end is all. Was concerned about reliability and wondered if the upper it's self was ok and if maybe their barrels are decent. Hoped maybe if so that a bcg change was all it would need to be solid, might decide to keep it. Just need to put some rounds through it and see how it does. On another note I've heard good things about the wylde chamber.

Dienekes
04-17-18, 19:54

JMO.

I agree. I just built up a very basic M4gery on an Anderson lower "just because" I felt like it and had the tools. So far (100 rounds) it runs ok, shoots ok, no issues. It's going to be a utility gun and so take some of the wear and tear I'd otherwise be putting on the Colt. To my further shame I admit to buying a Bushmaster when I got back into ARs about 12 years ago. It's now a spare, but in 4000 plus rounds all I had to do was install a D-fender for better extraction. Always goes bang.

As noted above, your Frankengun has no great resale value at this time; so I'd shoot it like I stole it and see what, if anything breaks. What have you got to lose?

Kevslatvin
04-17-18, 20:27
I think this one is all Anderson. My other AR is a Frankengun, but I chose all the parts carefully and feel good about it. Well other than the DPMS lower but I like the cat/panther roll mark so it's ok.:)

misfit47
04-17-18, 20:45
Just shoot it until it breaks. Then replace whatever broke. Repair, repeat.

Jewell
04-17-18, 22:35
You know, one time I bought an Anderson lower b/c it was $30 at my lgs...even though I knew better. I put good parts in it (BCM lpk). It's never given me any problems, but just knowing I used it makes me feel kind of dirty. I'm kind of ashamed.

wanderson
04-22-18, 17:34
I have several Anderson lowers and an 8” 5.56 upper with a Toolcraft BCG. No issues, shoots great.
I’d compare the quality to my PSA uppers n lowers. The only problem I had was a tight fit on the bolt catch, fixed it in 60 seconds with a file.
As for the barrel, the most accurate AR I ever had was a Rock River 16” HBAR carbine with a 1/9 twist, unlined. IMHO this is the best setup for cheap 55gr. 223 like Wolf Gold. You don’t know til you shoot it. And 1/9 is supposed to be optimum for up to 69 gr.
If it shoots well and it’s reliable it’s a keeper in my book.

Kvjavs
04-23-18, 10:19
You already have it, just keep it and swap out parts as necessary/desired. I bet it will still run just fine. Will it last as long as a BCM or other higher-end AR15s? Probably not. But BCGs are cheap these days. If something breaks on the BCG just buy a new one. Barrel gets shot out? Buy a new one. Don't like the trigger? Buy a new trigger. That's the beauty of AR15s. Once you have the receivers, so long as they are in spec, the limits are endless. Unless you're pricing it to sell (dirt dirt cheap...) you're gonna have a problem selling it. It's a buyer's market right now and even here in Illinois gunstores are having AR15s for $450 - $600.

If you want to sell it, wait for another panic where it'll be worth it. Until then just bu ya case of dirt cheap Wolf .223 and have fun.

RHINOWSO
04-23-18, 11:28
Buy cheap steel cased ammo and use for a short range training gun. It's what I do with my Aero Precision rifle that I pieced together for around $525 or so back during the glut of ARs last summer. I slapped an Aimpoint M4S I got in trade on it for the time being and I don't care if it gets hot, dirty, and overworked.

Normally I'll have it and one of my main duty ARs at the range - I alternate between them for drills, with the majority going to the AP most of the time (but not all).

ozarkpugs
04-24-18, 17:22
Sell it. Andersons have been so insanely out of spec from the three lowers I've purchased. I sent them back for a refund.You are one unlucky dude ,3 for 3 100% purchased out of spec . I have several and know of dozens built for local shooters and all are gtg . The local Smith and I were talking about this and other posts bashing Anderson the other day and he said out of the hundreds of ARs he has handled he knows for a fact Anderson has no more if as many out of spec uppers and lowers than the expensive brands .

hubcap91
04-24-18, 19:45
Sell it. Andersons have been so insanely out of spec from the three lowers I've purchased. I sent them back for a refund.I've used five of them myself and helped my friend with four. 9/9 were perfectly fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Kevslatvin
04-24-18, 20:17
Where would I find the specs? Is there a link to the drawings that have the dimensions one would need to measure? I have access to dial calipers and can probably get ahold of a micrometer as well. Or is it just everything moves and functions smoothly as it should? nothing visually out of sorts?

shadowrider
04-24-18, 20:34
I've built several myself. Only used Anderson receivers and put decent quality parts in them. Not a single issue.

misfit47
04-25-18, 20:17
I must have awful luck. The same issue was on every lower: the pistol grip screw wasn't drilled all the way through and one had debris in the bolt catch pin hole.I think they all have the screw hole problem. Instead of fixing it, they have a shorter grip screw in their parts kits.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

misfit47
04-25-18, 20:32
I appreciate the clarification. I just ended up sticking with brands like Aero Precision.Me too! Hell, they are only about $15 more in my area. Go together like butter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hubcap91
04-25-18, 20:33
Could've been a problem earlier on. All of mine were made 2014 or later. Aero makes great stuff though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk