PDA

View Full Version : Aware me on drones

WillBrink
04-18-18, 09:41
It seems like the tech to $ is at the point even inexpensive drones might be fun to have. Is there a 6920 of the drone world where you spend enough to get what you need for a first timer who wants to get into it without spending a ton, or too little where it's not worth having?

militarymoron
04-18-18, 09:43
Kinda like with guns or optics - what's your budget? Since you're using the 6920 as an example, I'm assuming that you're looking for something that's established as a well-known quality product that's not as expensive as a custom gun, nor as cheap as a gun-show parts-bin special. If that's so, I'd be looking at one of the DJI Phantom models, like the 4 which costs about the same as a 6920.

WillBrink
04-18-18, 09:53
Kinda like with guns or optics - what's your budget? Since you're using the 6920 as an example, I'm assuming that you're looking for something that's established as a well-known quality product that's not as expensive as a custom gun, nor as cheap as a gun-show parts-bin special. If that's so, I'd be looking at one of the DJI Phantom models, like the 4 which costs about the same as a 6920.

Not sure I want to spend 6920 $ on a drone just yet, but thanx for sending me in a direction to start looking.

grnamin
04-18-18, 10:20
I've always wanted to get a drone. Even saved up for one, but then I realized that with the Chinese-made ones, I risk inadvertently uploading "intel" in the form of footage and telemetry to Chinese servers. Just imagine the countless people providing China with valuable near-ground footage and telemetry.

WillBrink
04-18-18, 10:29
I've always wanted to get a drone. Even saved up for one, but then I realized that with the Chinese-made ones, I risk inadvertently uploading "intel" in the form of footage and telemetry to Chinese servers. Just imagine the countless people providing China with valuable near-ground footage and telemetry.

I'm willing to risk the Chinese security orgs has better things to do than watch me walking my dog, etc. If they wanna find me, they will easily find me. I speak for myself as a quasi known entity who can be found via a simple google search.

grnamin
04-18-18, 10:46
LOL! Good point, Will.

VARIABLE9
04-18-18, 11:13
DJI PHANTOM 3 seems pretty solid. About $500. Interface looks easy, great camera, only real negative seems to be battery life. I personally do not have one, however have operated this one I mention.
Don’t cheap out, $100-150 is still junky it seems.

grnamin
04-18-18, 11:16
I forgot to suggest signing up for a massdrop newsletter with drones as a preference. They have excellent deals every so often.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

elephant
04-18-18, 12:24
I have (2) DJI Phantom 3 Professionals and they are about half price from when I purchased them. They are around $500 and all you need is a smart phone or tablet and your good to go. Flight time is about 17 minutes, you can take still photos, HD & 4k video, fly in different modes, like GPS mode, program mode, very stable and easy to fly.

DJI Mavic Pro cost $700, light weight, about 14 minute battery life.

Go pro makes a $599 drone and I have heard good things about it.

Outlander Systems
04-18-18, 12:59
Phantom 3. Crashed on asphalt, still works.

I'm ready to move into Fixed Wings.

Pilot1
04-18-18, 13:09
Phantom 3. Crashed on asphalt, still works.

I'm ready to move into Fixed Wings.

Like which fixed wing? I didn't know there were fixed wing drones other than RC planes. Is that what you mean? I know very little about pilotless, and RC aircraft, other than what I've seen at shows. They had some turbine stuff that was incredible.

Outlander Systems
04-18-18, 13:18
Specifically, FPV and a glider. A good friend of mine has slowly transitioned into FPV and it's incredible.

The Skywalker X7s and and X8s look pretty incredible and are a very affordable platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCpYfBceAY

Like which fixed wing? I didn't know there were fixed wing drones other than RC planes. Is that what you mean? I know very little about pilotless, and RC aircraft, other than what I've seen at shows. They had some turbine stuff that was incredible.

Honu
04-18-18, 15:49
look into the mavic series also
way smaller something you do not need a huge case to lug around etc....
get one with a controller though you use your phone to view but not control worth the small bit of extra space $ for a controller

google up carry size mavic vs phantom