PDA

View Full Version : Dry Firing References

ucrt
04-20-18, 18:59

Does anyone have a link or info from a pistol manufacturer (or other reliable irrefutable resource) that just flat out recommends dry-firing as a good practice?

Wanting this info started as an argument at a local Cabelas with one of their “experts” but I couldn’t give any real support, such as Smith & Wesson, Glock, etc. recommend dry-firing. I practice by “dry firing” to practice trigger control, sight acquisition, etc. but can’t find any legitimate support.

I know you can go to the internet to justify doing anything anyway you want and maybe my search skills prevent me from being able to find something that is more than being just a bunch of opinions.

Would anyone have any links or ideas?

Thanks

26 Inf
04-20-18, 19:51
I don't think you will find any professional trainers/instructors who DON'T recommend dry-firing as an important training adjunct.

There are books on the subject, such as: https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Fire-Training-Practical-Pistol-Shooter/dp/1497319633

I'm not sure if the Marine Corps still does it, but most of the first week of the two weeks I spent at Edson Range when I went through boot camp in 1972 was spent 'snapping in' (dry-firing) on barrels with the different targets painted on them.

I don't know what else you could need, unfortunately, there is no mention of dry-fire in The Bible, which is apparently what is needed to convince some folks of it's value.

sagecarbina
04-20-18, 19:59
It doesn't harm most common center fire rifles, but it does harm rimfires because the firing pin hits the barrel, whereas a center fire rifle's firing pin doesn't hit anything. ... Even if it is a rimfire, it can be dry fired without damage if you insert a snap cap or spent casing in the chamber.

MegademiC
04-20-18, 20:39
Your first mistake was engaging in conversation with said ‘expert’.

Ime most are full of shit. Not all, but most.

I would bet no manufacture recommends it in literature.

Zirk208
04-20-18, 22:36
The dry firing debate has been raging on since shortly after the flood waters receded in Noah's day. If you want official rulings, in depth scientific studies, and manufacturers documented info...good luck. You will only ever get anecdotal information on both sides. Make your decision and drive on. Random guy behind the counter at Cabela's or the LGS... your first mistake was making eye contact and engaging in verbal communication.

ST911
04-20-18, 22:52
Does anyone have a link or info from a pistol manufacturer (or other reliable irrefutable resource) that just flat out recommends dry-firing as a good practice?

Wanting this info started as an argument at a local Cabelas with one of their “experts” but I couldn’t give any real support, such as Smith & Wesson, Glock, etc. recommend dry-firing. I practice by “dry firing” to practice trigger control, sight acquisition, etc. but can’t find any legitimate support.

I know you can go to the internet to justify doing anything anyway you want and maybe my search skills prevent me from being able to find something that is more than being just a bunch of opinions.

Would anyone have any links or ideas? Thanks

It's not worth it. Better to spend your time in dry practice.

See also: internet social issue and political discussions. :)

YVK
04-20-18, 23:03

If I understand you correctly, you want a supporting evidence that dry fire helps to improve technical skills / shooting abilities. Gun manufacturer's won't be your source, people or organizations that have achieved recognizable levels of technical excellence are. Training and competition community are such people, with more or less available evidence to that. In a written form, your best reference is a self-taught and trained six-time USPSA National champion and reigning world IPSC champion Ben Stoeger, who has presented compelling arguments that dry fire in some instances is superior to live fire and has published multiple dry fire books and even videos. Having shot with multiple Super Squad level shooters, not one got there without dry fire, and it is endorsed and utilized in classes by multiple trainers and instructors. Rogers Shooting School offers evening dry fire sessions after their daily live routine is completed.

Better yet, just don't waste your time on morons.

LMT Shooter
04-21-18, 00:48
Paul Howe of CSAT, his website is combatshootingandtactics.com, go to published articles & he has a nice write-up about it.

Sorry, I'm a techtard, don't know how to do links on my tablet.

mark5pt56
04-21-18, 05:39
Highly encourage dry firing and manipulations. Some refer to manipulations as "gun handling" and an experienced person can usually tell who handles their weapon like they just found it on the moon. You can get innovative with dry practice, reloads, target transitions, etc.

DirectTo
04-21-18, 14:29
... it does harm rimfires because the firing pin hits the barrel...
With some exceptions, the Ruger 10/22 and Mk-series pistols being very notable ones. The 10/22 manual actually says it (pg. 23):

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022.pdf

T2C
04-21-18, 16:50
#4-6 x 7/8" yellow plastic wall anchors can be used to dry fire practice with a .22 LR.

I've been dry firing for over 40 years, rifle and handgun, and never had an "expert" tell me it was a bad idea.

JC5188
04-22-18, 04:57
From the FAQ on Kimber website, and prob as close as you’ll get from a manufacturer...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/f406453d835a38a111eee9cc7c09c860.jpg

I know this because I’ve apparently argued with the same guy

I’m a big advocate of dry-fire because it has made me a better shooter. As mentioned above, familiarization and manipulation are skills in themselves. Not to mention trigger control.

ETA...I’m not an expert by any means.

ucrt
04-22-18, 09:40

I found that Springfield Armory discusses, recommends dry-firing and even encourages it.
Pretty good article.
Here's the link:
https://blog.springfield-armory.com/beginners-guide-to-dry-firing

I kind of thought there would be more support from the manufacturers????
But maybe it's just me...

YVK
04-22-18, 09:52
Dry fire is training, and manufacturers are not in training business. Don't look up to SA, look up to its shooting ambassadors like Robbie Leatham or Williams sisters.

I didn't like that article that much due to several implications that df is most helpful for beginners. It is helpful to everyone.

Dr. Bullseye
04-22-18, 12:16
Frontsight, the training school, puts out two home courses on dry firing. Here is a link:

http://www.drypractice.com/accessories.html

MegademiC
04-22-18, 15:07
I somehow missed it and didnt see it mentioned. Glock makes their pistols so they must be dry-fired to takedown.

YVK
04-22-18, 20:49
Actually Glock makes dedicated inert pistols designed for dry fire only. Available only to LE departments.

http://www.recoilweb.com/glock-training-pistols-65303.html

04-23-18, 04:41
Beretta manuals for the PX4 and 92A1 suggest using snap caps if one desires to train without live ammo. M9A3 doesn’t appear to mention it.

Delta’s OTC, one of the few places in the military that teach one to become proficient with a pistol, uses both dry and live fire. Dry fire is fairly common in the military in general among units/individuals that desire proficiency.

Proficient competition shooters tend to dry fire extensively.

mack7.62
04-23-18, 07:52

Would anyone have any links or ideas?

Thanks

No manufacturer is going to recommend dry-firing as a good practice because they have no control over it and it is subject to abuse. A handgun is a machine and parts will have a cycle lifetime, while dry firing is not subjecting the firearm to the same stress as live firing you are still cycling the action and causing wear. If you run 10,000 rounds through a firearm and have to replace parts that seems reasonable, dry fire 10,000 times run 1,000 rounds and have to replace parts and idiots will be all over the interwebz with "my gunz only lasted 1,000 rounds".

blade_68
04-24-18, 13:35
Mack7.62 hit it exactly right, gun manufacturers are not going want that to happen or N.D.. No dri-fire no N.D.... No way to blame Mfg for it.

turnburglar
04-26-18, 11:19
If you have to convince someone that 'dry firing is good' by citing sources like a collegic essay- you are talking to the wrong people. I pretty much promise everyone who has ever carried a gun for a living has done a dry fire exercise AT SOME POINT in their training. The really really good shooters dry fire their guns..... DAILY....

The reason why you will never see a manufacture or retailer recommend it, is because they are scared of the liability the first time some FUDD has a ND trying to dry practice like they told him too.

Actually Glock makes dedicated inert pistols designed for dry fire only. Available only to LE departments.

http://www.recoilweb.com/glock-training-pistols-65303.html

I have a car that doesn't run. Perfect for teaching a new driver.... want to buy it?? :P

26 Inf
04-26-18, 12:53
I have a car that doesn't run. Perfect for teaching a new driver.... want to buy it?? :P

The Glock17R is actually pretty versatile.

It is a good way to teach all pistol manipulations - administratively loading and unloading, reloads and remediation drills - in addition to trigger manipulation.

It can also be the basis for a non recoil laser training system to bring dry-fire to the next level - far better than a SIRT trainer.

I spent a good amount of time working with cars that didn't run, we called them driving simulators.

bignc
04-26-18, 14:20
Not EXACTLY what was asked, so with apologies, this is a great book about it.

https://grayguns.com/product/dry-fire-primer-annette-evans/

Also available on Kindle