PDA

View Full Version : Which Geissele trigger?

Walker_Texasranger
04-21-18, 10:23
I have this 14.7” 6920 that I need a trigger for. I ordered a LaRue MBT but I’ve been waiting over a month and hasn’t shipped yet.

So I want to a Geissele for this gun. I was thinking SSA-E but this new SSP is pretty tempting. What’s better for a general purpose rifle like this? I know some will say the SSA-E is too like but the break sounds a lot nicer than an SSA.

wigbones
04-21-18, 10:31
I always like the SD-C for general purpose.

grizzman
04-21-18, 10:44
If you're concerned about Geissele's description of the SSA's break as carrot-like, you shouldn't be. If it's like a carrot, then the carrot is very skinny...and frozen, at least that's the way mine is. I'm personally unwilling to go any lighter than the SSA, no matter how perfect the break happens to be.

The SSA is nearly identical to the MBT, and blindfolded, it's doubtful you could tell them apart in actual use.

For general purpose use, the SSP is among the last Geisseles I'd choose.

Walker_Texasranger
04-21-18, 10:50
I always like the SD-C for general purpose.

Is that the SSA with a flat bow?

Pappabear
04-21-18, 11:45
I run SSA on almost all my AR's. I have one E that is on a SPR, and I occasionally misfire when on target. My muscle memory is so conditioned is pretty interesting. And who really needs less than a 2.5lb break, which is essentially the second half of the SSA.

MisterHelix
04-21-18, 11:47
My preference is the SSA on scoped rifles (target/hunting/DMR) and the ALG ACT on red dot/irons (home defense/etc)

SiGfever
04-21-18, 12:54
I have the SSA-E and the second stage is Very light, I would recommend the SSA for general use.

Rogue556
04-21-18, 13:52
The SSA/G2S are very nice triggers and I would not hesitate to go that route. I have an SDE for a precision rig and it's great in that role but I think the SSA is a better do-all trigger. I have two SSP's and and had an SD3G as well and greatly prefer the SSP so I sold the SD3G. The SSP isn't exactly a bolt gun trigger, but instead feels like a very very light BCM PNT with a shorter, smoother pull and a distinct but not obnoxious reset. I really like it and will be buying more. I will say that I wish there was a 4.5# spring for the SSP. It's not an issue for me, but I can see how some could perceive the pull weight as too light.

GH41
04-21-18, 14:23
I have this 14.7” 6920 that I need a trigger for. I ordered a LaRue MBT but I’ve been waiting over a month and hasn’t shipped yet.

So I want to a Geissele for this gun. I was thinking SSA-E but this new SSP is pretty tempting. What’s better for a general purpose rifle like this? I know some will say the SSA-E is too like but the break sounds a lot nicer than an SSA.

If Geissele say it's a precision trigger it's a precision trigger not a do all trigger. The E (enhanced) triggers, IMO, would be a waste of $$$ in a 6920. They are precision triggers. The SSP looks like a 3 gun trigger. The SSA is a very popular trigger for a reason.

Wake27
04-21-18, 15:05
My Noveske came with an SD-E. While I wouldn’t argue with whatever Geissele states a specific trigger is for, it works fine for me as a short range, fast trigger. That being said, you can’t wrong with the SSA or SD-C if you want a flat bow. Honestly I really can’t feel much of a difference between the -E and -C, except that the E feels a little lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSW
04-21-18, 18:46
I found the SSA-E too light, but really like the SSA.

ETA: I also use the G2S on range toys, but my OCD trait likes all the QA/QC with the SSA for possible defense rifles.

Walker_Texasranger
04-21-18, 19:33
I may try the SDC. I want to try a flat trigger.

Coal Dragger
04-21-18, 19:53
Another strong recommendation for the the SD-C. I have one and love it. The flat trigger shoe is very forgiving of trigger finger placement and the face is moved forward a bit which I find helpful for good trigger reach. I'm sure the SD-E or the SSA-E is nice and I've dry fired a few SSA-E's but the difference is not that pronounced to me, and the little bit of extra forgiveness of the 4.5lb total pull is nice for a general purpose carbine.

I ran one in a Pat Mac class a few years ago and found it to be everything I personally want in a duty grade carbine trigger: easy to shoot fast getting on that flat trigger face without needing to worry much about trigger finger placement for quick drills just pressing through like a single stage with, yet refined enough to get into a prone and do precision shooting fully utilizing the beautiful consistent 2nd stage break.

GH41
04-21-18, 19:54
My Noveske came with an SD-E. While I wouldn’t argue with whatever Geissele states a specific trigger is for, it works fine for me as a short range, fast trigger. That being said, you can’t wrong with the SSA or SD-C if you want a flat bow. Honestly I really can’t feel much of a difference between the -E and -C, except that the E feels a little lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Lot lighter. You can't lean on it. It offers an opportunity to shoot something you might not want to shoot. Like a team member or innocent bystander. Listen to Geissele... He isn't a dumbass!

Jmedic_
04-21-18, 20:49
I have the SD-C and I too will strongly recommend it. I really like the flat bow and the reset. It’s not too heavy, not too light, it’s just right.

Wake27
04-22-18, 00:21
A Lot lighter. You can't lean on it. It offers an opportunity to shoot something you might not want to shoot. Like a team member or innocent bystander. Listen to Geissele... He isn't a dumbass!

I agree with that concept which is why I'll limit the SD-E to only this gun, but dry firing both side by side, they really don't feel much different to me.

Amicus
04-22-18, 07:17
As others have said, you really can't go wrong with Geissele triggers. But, I do agree that the SSA-E is a bit light for HD use. It's more like a waystation between the "tactical" triggers and match.

While I have a number of SSA triggers, I have started to like the SDC more and would replace my SSA triggers if I could snap my fingers and make it happen. I also like the Tricon, which is a compromise between the curved SSA trigger and the flat SDC.

And, if you haven't figured it out, the Geissele triggers tend to multiply.

sva01
04-22-18, 07:46

Have to agree. I'm no professional gun shooter but I'm not a rank beginner either. That said, I was caught off guard by a couple doubles when I used the SD-E shooting some steel a while back. I use them in hunting guns and didn't expect to have this issue while doing a bit more dynamic shooting. I will look to pick up the SD-C for this reason.

justin_247
04-22-18, 08:07
Try a G2S. For some applications, such as shooting from a bench, I like it a little better than my SSA, believe it or not.

My G2S has a smooth pull through the first stage, with a very distinct wall when you get to the second stage, and a very clean break, kind of glass like.

My SSA has the same smooth pull through the first stage, but the wall at the second stage isn't quite as distinct and the break is kind of carrot like, like Geissele described. It's a little easier to pull straight through compared to the G2S.

I was under the impression that the SSA and G2S were basically the same, but I'm not quite so sure this is completely true. Very, very similar, yes, but there's some difference.

That being said, I hate going back to the stock trigger now, regardless.

Hammer_Man
04-22-18, 09:25
I've come full circle when it comes to triggers. I've used SSA-E, SD3G, and S3G triggers. I find the SSA-E works great for precision bench shooting, but I wouldn't put one in a GP rifle. The SD3G/S3G are too light and mushy. They are light, but they do not have a noticeable "wall" where you know the trigger is going to break. I swapped in an ALG QMS on my go to gun, and couldn't be happier.

26 Inf
04-22-18, 13:04

I use an SD-E on my primary training/range rifle. I don't feel it is unsafe for HD or LE work. Granted, I would be concerned if someone fairly inexperienced was in a situation where they just grabbed a rifle and were expecting a GI pull.

ETA - no unwanted doubles for me. Additional ETA: I don't want to come across as saying that I think the SD-E would be suitable for general issue on a patrol rifle. I think it would be suitable for LE use in the SPM/R role.

I haven't seen anyplace on the website or in the brochure or instructions where Geissele suggests the trigger be used only for competition or hunting.

The Super Dynamic Triggers are rugged, non-adjustable combat triggers with a sear design that provides a wide margin of safety against unintentional discharges yet still gives the operator a sharp,
repeatable trigger release. The exclusive, flat trigger bow, patterned after the trigger of an M1911 pistol, reduces the perceived pull weight of the triggers and gives outstanding tactile feedback and trigger control.

The SD Trigger will lighten the trigger pull relative to a standard trigger. This lightened trigger pull will make the firearm easier to discharge. You must recognize and accept this fact before installing this trigger. If you do not want a lighter than standard trigger pull or are not willing to accept responsibility for the safety of your firearm, yourself, and those around you, do not install this trigger.

I don't see any of this as saying the trigger is a competition only trigger, not safe for duty or HD.

GH41
04-22-18, 16:15
I use an SD-E on my primary training/range rifle. I don't feel it is unsafe for HD or LE work. Granted, I would be concerned if someone fairly inexperienced was in a situation where they just grabbed a rifle and were expecting a GI pull.

ETA - no unwanted doubles for me. Additional ETA: I don't want to come across as saying that I think the SD-E would be suitable for general issue on a patrol rifle. I think it would be suitable for LE use in the SPM/R role.

I haven't seen anyplace on the website or in the brochure or instructions where Geissele suggests the trigger be used only for competition or hunting.

The Super Dynamic Triggers are rugged, non-adjustable combat triggers with a sear design that provides a wide margin of safety against unintentional discharges yet still gives the operator a sharp,
repeatable trigger release. The exclusive, flat trigger bow, patterned after the trigger of an M1911 pistol, reduces the perceived pull weight of the triggers and gives outstanding tactile feedback and trigger control.

The SD Trigger will lighten the trigger pull relative to a standard trigger. This lightened trigger pull will make the firearm easier to discharge. You must recognize and accept this fact before installing this trigger. If you do not want a lighter than standard trigger pull or are not willing to accept responsibility for the safety of your firearm, yourself, and those around you, do not install this trigger.

I don't see any of this as saying the trigger is a competition only trigger, not safe for duty or HD.

" The SD-E is ideal for use in precision Squad Designated Marksman type rifles
where weapon accuracy and reliability are critical and a
non-adjustable drop in trigger is desired" Also quoted from the G site. Look at Bill's trigger selector. See what's recommended for GP and LE use.. It won't be the "E" triggers. You will find them recommended for precision and target shooting. I'll stand by my statement... An E trigger is a waste of trigger for a 6920. It doesn't matter what you or I shoot. I shot 11 ounce triggers on my IPSC open pistols for years but I wouldn't recommend that for a new guy shooting a bone stock 1911.

Hemoglobin
04-22-18, 17:59
I pulled a SSA-E from a rifle that I gave to my dad. I put a Centurion stock trigger in his and put the SSA-E in a Sionics upper mated to a Colt lower for my Fiance. So is it lost on a 6920? That depends on the shooter and probably but we can over simplify things too. any G trigger is awesome.

RHINOWSO
04-22-18, 18:56
SSA in primary ARs, BCM PNT in others.

I do have to be mindful going to my SCARs with the G trigger in those, as it is more equivalent to the SSA-E.

pag23
04-22-18, 19:36
SSA in primary ARs, BCM PNT in others.

I do have to be mindful going to my SCARs with the G trigger in those, as it is more equivalent to the SSA-E.

I do the same thing with the SSA in primary guns... BCM in the blemish gun...

26 Inf
04-22-18, 23:43
Look at Bill's trigger selector. See what's recommended for GP and LE use.. It won't be the "E" triggers. You will find them recommended for precision and target shooting.

I'll stand by my statement... An E trigger is a waste of trigger for a 6920. It doesn't matter what you or I shoot. I shot 11 ounce triggers on my IPSC open pistols for years but I wouldn't recommend that for a new guy shooting a bone stock 1911.

Two things - I'd never used the trigger selector before - hadn't seen it. And, yeah, I kind of lost track that we were talking 6920.

Jesse H
04-24-18, 13:36
Try a G2S. For some applications, such as shooting from a bench, I like it a little better than my SSA, believe it or not.

My G2S has a smooth pull through the first stage, with a very distinct wall when you get to the second stage, and a very clean break, kind of glass like.

My SSA has the same smooth pull through the first stage, but the wall at the second stage isn't quite as distinct and the break is kind of carrot like, like Geissele described. It's a little easier to pull straight through compared to the G2S.

I was under the impression that the SSA and G2S were basically the same, but I'm not quite so sure this is completely true. Very, very similar, yes, but there's some difference.

That being said, I hate going back to the stock trigger now, regardless.

I have a couple of G2S and SSA's...I can't tell the difference between the two. Very happy with both.

rootbrain
04-29-18, 22:56
My preference is the SSA on scoped rifles (target/hunting/DMR) and the ALG ACT on red dot/irons (home defense/etc)Ditto on the ALG ACT. Made by Gisselle it's basically milspec and 5 lb break, no grit pull, crisp clean glass break. I sold my SSA to a buddy and put these in my ar15 and ar10 with $$ left for more ammo. I don't do competitive shooting, but do hunt with these.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

MSparks909
04-30-18, 01:10
SSA

/Thread

hile
04-30-18, 07:48
SSA (or SSF). All my lowers right now are complete BCM lowers, so they have a BCM PNT, but some will get the Geissele treatment soon.

SRT
04-30-18, 15:38
SSA all the way. Not too heavy, not too light, just right.

SiGfever
04-30-18, 17:47
Replaced my SSA-E springs with SSA springs after contacting Geissele to make sure that was all that was needed. Works like a champ, now it is more general use.

seb5
04-30-18, 21:00
I have 3 SSA's, 2 SSA-E's on precision type rifles. I prefer the SSA as a general purpose trigger. When I was shooting 5,000 rounds a year I felt comfortable with SSA-E's and even used them at a couple of EAG classes without incident. Now that my numbers has decreased I feel much better with SSA's as general purpose triggers.

revoa4
05-05-18, 14:19
Love my SD3G. It comes with 2 springs also to adjust the pull weight.

kirkland
05-05-18, 18:04
I have 2 SSA-E triggers. They work great for me, no doubles or misfires ever.

556BlackRifle
05-05-18, 20:37
SSA for general purpose. SSA-E for DMR / higher precision rifles.

titsonritz
05-06-18, 18:53
SSA for general purpose. SSA-E for DMR / higher precision rifles.

This is how I roll, but I'll put an ALG ACT, BCM PNT or SIONICS EMST is a pistol or budget build.

kenny256
05-06-18, 22:04
I run an SD-E in my precision rig and it's very light. For me it's as light as I would ever want to go.

My G2S is in another rifle that has a red dot and it seems to provide just enough extra that it feels more....controlable..i guess.

My HD RIFLE now currently runs a sionics trigger group and it is heavier then the other two, and a single stage, I find it very workable and for general use I love it.

That all being said for GP 6920 the SSA or something similar (SD-C) would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Torquetard
05-08-18, 19:47
Between the SSA and SD-E I still shoot better groups with the SSA for some reason

Butch
05-08-18, 20:37
I have three SSA's and one SSA-E. I prefer the E but recommend the SSA.

Dr. Bullseye
05-08-18, 21:22
When I started with the AR over two years ago my first upgrade was the ALG-ACT. It was great compared to the mil spec. Some very top men use it. At the very least this trigger gives you a frame of reference so that you know what features you want in a future upgrade.