PDA

View Full Version : On bipods...

Slater
04-22-18, 16:37
When it comes to bipods, Harris seems to be a quality, go-to brand for a lot of folks. Any other brands that would be recommended as far as overall quality/durability?

soulezoo
04-22-18, 16:42
Atlas.
Atlas is THE quality bipod. Pricey though. When you factor price/quality equation, it's really hard to beat Harris which is why they're so popular.

Full disclosure, I run Harris and Atlas.

prdubi
04-22-18, 16:47
Skeptical on Atlas until I found it has a lot more levels of adjustment and usage.

I have 3 harris and 1 atlas for my rifles and what I have found is more room to go lower and higher.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TexHill
04-22-18, 16:59
Accu-tac makes an outstanding, high quality bipod. Their bipods are milled out of aircraft grade billet aluminum. They're not cheap though. http://www.accu-tac.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Accutac-bipod-SR5-QD.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-22-18, 17:40
The Harris is fast to deploy and stow.

Atlas is slower (and needs two hands) to get the legs to move.

For prone shooting, I like the Sinclair Tactical Bipod:

I still feel like we are on the cusp of some huge evolution in shooting gear that leads to an integration of chassis, bipod and tripod all into a systemized approach.

BrigandTwoFour
04-22-18, 18:01
Atlas.

Spendy, but that’s why I have in on an ADM QD mount.

elephant
04-22-18, 18:43
Knights Armament makes a good bipod as well as GG&G. And as every one has said, Atlas.

Here is a good Atlas vs. GG&G video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTrfzNP-i3g

bp7178
04-22-18, 19:17
I've used both Atlas and Harris bipods over the years. The Atlas seems like a much improved product over the harris which seems very dated. Importantly, I find the Atlas (with the non-rotating feet) easier to more consistently load, or maybe better stated as my inconsistent loading isn't transferred to the bullet as much.

The KAC bipod is interesting, and had it been in stock when I bought my Atlas I probably would have went that route.

I think deployment speed is a moot point. That's a task you should be doing while doing something else. IE, as you get into position you are deploying your bipod. Not a step to be preformed in a sequence of steps, ie get into position then deploy bipod.

Wake27
04-22-18, 20:46
I started a thread on this about a year ago, short answer is that Atlas and Harris are both good but the former is superior, if you're ok with the price. I ended up getting the Atlas and it is very nice, but is more tedious than I expected without the QD mount. As a cheaper solution to that, I bought a KDG rail section which is also pretty solid.

PrarieDog
04-22-18, 23:00
I have a few sizes of Harris bi-pods. The Atlas are great but when you look at carrying a rifle with the added weight for days on end the harris wins out. Yes the harris is a flex flier but it does get the job done.

SomeOtherGuy
04-23-18, 08:44
It depends on what rifle you're attaching it to and how. Most of the newer bipods like Atlas are setup for Pic rail attachment, which is ideal if you have a Pic rail, like on most newer semiauto rifles. But not convenient for most bolt-action rifles or an M1A. The Harris is setup for a sling stud, which is not a great system mechanically, but does work, and is already installed on nearly all bolt-action rifles. You can of course get adapters to put a Harris on a Pic rail, or on MLOK rails, and you can put a Pic rail on a bolt-action or M1A stock, but it's more money and less convenient.

The Harris is an ancient design that looks just like a product of its time, but it works and works quite well.

I have two of the GG&G bipods in use. They are pretty good, but if I did it over I might try another brand. I also have several Harris bipods. I use the GG&G on rifles with quadrails, and the Harris on everything else.

jethroUSMC
04-23-18, 09:46
Atlas for most precision rifles, Harris BRMS on others. LRA on the ultra long distance precision rifles that are really heavy and need a wide footprint on various types of terrain - not cheap.

diving dave
04-23-18, 11:09
For semi's, Harris. For my bolt gun that I use in PRS, Sinclair tactical bipod.

Ned Christiansen
04-23-18, 11:38
No one has mentioned the Parker-Hale. Rightfully so I might add :no:

Heavy, loud, catches in brush and self-deploys. Spendy, too, Mounting solutions are few and also 'spensive. Thought I should have one years ago since it was seen on high-speed Euroteam guns. Back to Harris.

I've tried to cheat on Miss Harris many times since and I always come crawling back, asking for forgiveness. I do have a Harris-ish knockoff that's pretty good but if I were going to be seen in public I'd put on a Harris. I've tried a few others that did not measure up to Harris but I have not been able to justify trying an Atlas.

I guess for what I do, at the level I do it, Harris will probably always suffice for me. I strongly prefer one with the swivel so I can maintain perfect level.

Yes it's an old design but that doensn't necessarily mean "dated", it might mean they got it right the first time, way ahead of the others.

markm
04-23-18, 13:10
Atlas all the way. I'm used to working it with one hand at this point. It's slower, but I'm not shooting speed matches or anything. I hate the Harris. Too complex... never seem to be adjusted right. I hate nothing more than getting on a gun with a loose Harris.

Slater
04-23-18, 17:06
With Harris being an apparently old design, do they make very many LE/Military sales?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-23-18, 17:14
For semi's, Harris. For my bolt gun that I use in PRS, Sinclair tactical bipod.

That's an interesting split.

BrigandTwoFour
04-24-18, 06:56
With Harris being an apparently old design, do they make very many LE/Military sales?

Just because it’s older doesn’t mean it’s not viable. I can’t speak to LE/MIL sales, but I wouldn’t feel disadvantaged with a Harris compared to an Atlas. To be honest, the opportunities to deploy a bipod in the real world are relatively few compared to shooting off a pack or some other barrier.

I know a guy who ditched a weapon mounted bipod in favor of building a tripod out of available materials and paracord. Lighter, easy to stash in a pocket,, and no big deal if he has to leave it behind.

rero360
04-24-18, 09:06
I have a Harris with the pod-claws attachments, that is now basically my 10/22 bipod. For everything else I use either a GG&G or ATLAS, really all three are perfectly fine, I need spike feet for the atlas though, make it easier to load it.

Slater
04-24-18, 10:29
How long has Harris been around? 1980's?

SomeOtherGuy
04-24-18, 11:26
More like early 1960's I think. The design is quite old.