PDA

View Full Version : Iron Sights

USMGoldenEagle
10-21-08, 22:08
I am considering ordering Midwest Industry Front & Rear Sights for my new S&W M&P 15.

Any feedback on this purchase would be appreciated.

rightwingmaniac
10-21-08, 23:14
i went with troy industries buis. super tough. my front flip up is hk style. these are some rugged sob's

Shark
10-22-08, 01:40
I am considering ordering Midwest Industry Front & Rear Sights for my new S&W M&P 15.

Any feedback on this purchase would be appreciated.

I'd go with Troy. They make the BUIS for S&W.

wahoo95
10-22-08, 08:52
You'd be happy with either as they are both equal in my opinion. Having both I have noticed teh biggest ifference to be mainly aestetics rather than quality/ruggedness. The Troy front sight folds down to a flatter profile and the rear right has a less obtrusive windage knob campared to the MI SPLP. Other than that the MI sights are a little less expensive.

USMGoldenEagle
10-22-08, 09:11
You'd be happy with either as they are both equal in my opinion. Having both I have noticed teh biggest ifference to be mainly aestetics rather than quality/ruggedness. The Troy front sight folds down to a flatter profile and the rear right has a less obtrusive windage knob campared to the MI SPLP. Other than that the MI sights are a little less expensive.

That has been my observation. I just hate paying more for a name. It appeared to me from my review that both were very similar and identical in quality.

I am not sure how many people on here have the Midwest Industry sights. The fact that you have both gives your comments a lot of weight.

The typical comments from folks that have never seen or used the Midwest Industry sight and are just partial to the one that they have or use doesn't help me much.

Thanks!

BushmasterFanBoy
10-22-08, 09:42
That has been my observation. I just hate paying more for a name. It appeared to me from my review that both were very similar and identical in quality.
I am not sure how many people on here have the Midwest Industry sights. The fact that you have both gives your comments a lot of weight.
The typical comments from folks that have never seen or used the Midwest Industry sight and are just partial to the one that they have or use doesn't help me much.
Thanks!

I've used both extensively.
I sold my M.I. sights a couple months ago to fund the purchase of my 2nd set of Troy Sights.
Immediate differences between the two is that the MI sights will not lock up as solid as the Troy do. When you flip up the MI sights, there is still a pretty significant amount of wobble, even though they are locked upright. With the Troy there is nearly no wobble at all. The MI sights were much easier to deploy and flip up.
Also the MI sights use a different rear aperature than the Troy sights. The Troy sights keep the same zero regardless of whether or not you use the small/big rear aperature. The MI sights will not keep the same zero. This was a really big headache for me.
With the relatively recent introduction of the squared front sight post on the newer Troy BUIS, it was a no brainier for me to go with the Troy sights. The only reason I had went with MI was for their squared front sight post, but once Troy released theirs, my MI's were history.
One more thing is that windage adjustments on the MI rear sight are easier to carry out than on the Troy model. On the Troy you need a little tool to make adjustments so if you do alot of iron sight shooting, I wouldn't recommend them. They are however a great "backup" sight in every sense of the word.

Hoped this helped!

USMGoldenEagle
10-22-08, 10:16
I've used both extensively.
I sold my M.I. sights a couple months ago to fund the purchase of my 2nd set of Troy Sights.
Immediate differences between the two is that the MI sights will not lock up as solid as the Troy do. When you flip up the MI sights, there is still a pretty significant amount of wobble, even though they are locked upright. With the Troy there is nearly no wobble at all. The MI sights were much easier to deploy and flip up.
Also the MI sights use a different rear aperature than the Troy sights. The Troy sights keep the same zero regardless of whether or not you use the small/big rear aperature. The MI sights will not keep the same zero. This was a really big headache for me.
With the relatively recent introduction of the squared front sight post on the newer Troy BUIS, it was a no brainier for me to go with the Troy sights. The only reason I had went with MI was for their squared front sight post, but once Troy released theirs, my MI's were history.
One more thing is that windage adjustments on the MI rear sight are easier to carry out than on the Troy model. On the Troy you need a little tool to make adjustments so if you do alot of iron sight shooting, I wouldn't recommend them. They are however a great "backup" sight in every sense of the word.

Hoped this helped!

It really did help a lot. Thank you for the great comparison.