PDA

View Full Version : 11.5" barrel muzzle device

shadow93
04-25-18, 11:29
If optics planet ever ships my order I will finally be in the position to order an upper and not fall under any constructive intent issues. I'm going with a 11.5" BCM upper but I'm trying to decide on a muzzle device for it. I have no hope of ever getting a suppressor for it so that is no concern for the future. This gun is going to be a travel gun so indoor/outdoor use possible. I run a BCM Mod 0 on my 14.5" and a Precision Armament AFAB on my 16".

I realize this will be a loud gun regardless of what I put on the end so I'm thinking of going with a SF closed tine Warcomp and a SF Warden to at least force the blast forward. Are their any other options that would be better or worth considering?

MegademiC
04-25-18, 11:56
I run an a2 and would suggest that.
I dont know if I accidentally hit some perfect gas port/buffer/spring combo or what but there is almost no muzzle rise.

sig1473
04-25-18, 12:05
A2 will work just fine.

Outlander Systems
04-25-18, 12:33
A2 Flash Hider.

/end

GH41
04-25-18, 12:45
I third the A2. Think about it.... Why would you run the SF 3 1/2" Warden on an 11 1/2" barrel? Sort of defeats the purpose of the short barrel doesn't it?? Shooting inside a room won't be fun no matter what MD you have mounted.

markm
04-25-18, 12:54
A2 is the only answer.

bruin
04-25-18, 13:38
Can't go wrong with an A2; try it out for awhile and see how you like it.

My vote is for the PA EFAB. The Warcomp might beat it in flash suppression, but muzzle stability is excellent with the EFAB on a 11.5". Concussion is not an issue for the shooter outdoors (I haven't tried it indoors).

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

drtywk
04-25-18, 13:59
A2 or the BCM Comp. A2 would be optimal though.

Jwknutson17
04-25-18, 14:19
Spin off your PA efab on your 16 and give it a go on the 11.5. Shoot it back to back with an A2 and decide from there.

ozarkpugs
04-25-18, 18:01
Go to ARP( AR Performance .com) and look at JAL linear comp . It really throws sound forward and is very non conspicuous looking .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Thrasos
04-25-18, 19:25
A2 if you want to keep it short, but if you don't mind an extra 1/2 inch, then try a VG6 Epsilon.

hobojoe
04-25-18, 20:49
I've tried others but always go back to the A2.

bb223
04-26-18, 18:42
Smith Vortex

C. Stevens
04-26-18, 20:05
Spikes Tactical barking spider. [emoji16]

Sent from my Sony Xperia X using Tapatalk

MisterHelix
04-26-18, 22:16
Black River Tactical's "covert comp" helps with pushing the blast forward and has about the same size and weight as an A2. Costs more than an A2, but I think it's worth it.

HeruMew
04-26-18, 22:23
A2.

As a guy who tried the krink blast cans, the noveske pig, and a couple other, A2 and /done.

Don't waste the time, money, efforts. It tames the blast and ball as much as is needed.

But any BFD I had made the concussion less, but could shake the windows with the noise still. A2 worked in taming that big initial blast.

Mrgunsngear
04-28-18, 08:08
If you're going to be using it potentially on a two way indoor range---flash hider of some sort. Any type of "brake" type device and your teeth will be chattering which, IMO, is sub optimal for accurate fire. A2 works well but something in the 3 or 4 prong type of design is an improvement in reducing concussion which is especially important on an 11.5'' gun.

dukemason
04-28-18, 23:00
If optics planet ever ships my order I will finally be in the position to order an upper and not fall under any constructive intent issues. I'm going with a 11.5" BCM upper but I'm trying to decide on a muzzle device for it. I have no hope of ever getting a suppressor for it so that is no concern for the future. This gun is going to be a travel gun so indoor/outdoor use possible. I run a BCM Mod 0 on my 14.5" and a Precision Armament AFAB on my 16".

I realize this will be a loud gun regardless of what I put on the end so I'm thinking of going with a SF closed tine Warcomp and a SF Warden to at least force the blast forward. Are their any other options that would be better or worth considering?

I have an 11.5 BCM ELW barrel on one of my pistols, and I'm using a closed tine Warcomp. I'm very happy with it. The concussion isn't real noticeable, and it's easy to stay on target. Prior to that I used a BCM Mod 0, which felt like an explosion was going off at the muzzle every time I fired it.

HeruMew
04-28-18, 23:11

Don't worry about that. It is considered an unregistered upper. If you already have an invoice for a pistol lower you're more than safe.

It's not something to worry about anyways. So long as you aint slappin it on a rifle lower in the guise of testing.

Surprised no one discussed this, usually the whole constructive intent conversation on uppers gets smacked down quick.

Hulkstr8
04-28-18, 23:15
I have an PA EFAB and love it, but would probably stick with an A2. I would strongly consider the FCD 6315.

http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/6315_p_76.html

Hmac
04-28-18, 23:43
I've had BattleComp 1.0's on both of my 11.5 SBRs for several years now. No regrets...I've been very satisfied. They are loud, so I wear ear protection.

jpmuscle
04-29-18, 05:58
OP, if you run a can run corresponding mount.

No can? A2 and be done with it. It’s an SBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
04-29-18, 07:01
Suppressor with appropriate mount is the answer.

Hmac
04-29-18, 07:31
Suppressor with appropriate mount is the answer.

OP has no hope of ever getting a suppressor for it.

panzerr
04-29-18, 07:33
A2

You might be fine dealing with the extra concussion from a brake, but anyone shooting around you will not be. Besides, brakes create lazy muzzle control issues.

Chameleox
04-29-18, 07:53
A2.
I've also used an FSC556 (very effective but damn obnoxious) and a Battlecomp 1.0 (not as bad).
I went back to the A2. Twice.

Spend the money elsewhere.

panzerr
04-29-18, 08:11
A2.
I've also used an FSC556 (very effective but damn obnoxious) and a Battlecomp 1.0 (not as bad).
I went back to the A2. Twice.

Spend the money elsewhere.

I did the same thing. I wasted good money on linear comps and brakes and ended up switching back to the A2 on all of my carbines.

The A2 really is the best compromise between flash, concussion and muzzle control. Besides, they are cheap and ubiquitous.

Hmac
04-29-18, 08:40
A2

You might be fine dealing with the extra concussion from a brake, but anyone shooting around you will not be. Besides, brakes create lazy muzzle control issues.People say that, and I'm sure it's true in some cases, but shooting indoor range once or twice a month and one or two carbine courses a year for almost a decade, I've never had anyone complain about my BattleComp, including yesterday. My son and I both shot a 6-person 500-round course, both of us with BattleComp 1.0s. Even the guy shooting between us on the line didn't mention it. I agree though...the greater concussion is noticeable. I think different people have different tolerances for it. I was more bothered by the brass that kept hitting me than the concussion from my son's rifle. I didn't say anything about it, however. It would have seemed like whining, I think.

noonesshowmonkey
04-29-18, 09:51
If no suppressor, A2.

If can, appropriate mount.

If gucci, vortex flash hider.

MistWolf
04-29-18, 10:27
I've had BattleComp 1.0's on both of my 11.5 SBRs for several years now. No regrets...I've been very satisfied. They are loud, so I wear ear protection.

I had a Battlecomp on a 10.5". I was satisfied. Everyone else was not. When a well known shooting instructor politely but firmly informed me that it would not be allowed in a class he was teaching, I realized I had just suffered a solid hit to the head with a clue by four. I replaced it with an A2 birdcage until I got my suppressor.

Hmac
04-29-18, 11:11
I had a Battlecomp on a 10.5". I was satisfied. Everyone else was not. When a well known shooting instructor politely but firmly informed me that it would not be allowed in a class he was teaching, I realized I had just suffered a solid hit to the head with a clue by four. I replaced it with an A2 birdcage until I got my suppressor.

I've shot with several well-known shooting instructors over the years. The only one that ever even commented on the BattleComp was Jeff Gonzales. Not discounting your experience, just noting that it varies from mine. I do have an A2 birdcage and crush washer in my bag in the event I'd ever need to switch the thing out for whatever reason.

MistWolf
04-29-18, 14:46
HMAC, that's ok. I'm just sharing my personal experience. The admonishment came from someone I have a deep respect for. I'm glad I listened because the change improved my shooting experience with my shorties. The Battlecomp now back on my 20" where it's a much quieter and a better suited.

Thrasos
04-29-18, 15:24
Sorry in advance for going off-topic, but are there muzzle devices that are not allowed in carbine classes? I have only used the birdcage and the 3-pronged flash suppressor in classes. However, I recently installed a muzzle brake hoping to improve in speed shooting drills. I'm now wondering if I should get a cage device to prevent annoying the other students and instructor?

Wake27
04-29-18, 15:40
Sorry in advance for going off-topic, but are there muzzle devices that are not allowed in carbine classes? I have only used the birdcage and the 3-pronged flash suppressor in classes. However, I recently installed a muzzle brake hoping to improve in speed shooting drills. I'm now wondering if I should get a cage device to prevent annoying the other students and instructor?

Never heard of it.

hile
05-02-18, 16:15
I'd go with a WarComp every day of the week, but then my 10.4 and 11.5 uppers are very likely to have a can on them.

themonk
05-02-18, 16:46
OP, if you run a can run corresponding mount.

No can? A2 and be done with it. It’s an SBR.

^^ This^^

BoltActionAssault
05-07-18, 22:32
I did the same thing. I wasted good money on linear comps and brakes and ended up switching back to the A2 on all of my carbines.

The A2 really is the best compromise between flash, concussion and muzzle control. Besides, they are cheap and ubiquitous.

Which linear comps did you try, and what length barrel? Did you try a Levang by chance? (I suppose it's pretty much the same as any other linear comp).