PDA

View Full Version : Nordic Components Pmag extention

hatt
10-22-08, 06:16
Does anyone see the need for something like this?
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/nordictim/PMAGEXTENSION001.jpg

mark5pt56
10-22-08, 06:41
I don't but some like the world of gadgetry.

Robb Jensen
10-22-08, 06:52
Yep we ordered some already being a Nordic stocking dealer.

The extension is ingenious. Tim Ubl from Nordic said now these will hold 47 rounds. Retail is $54.95 IIRC. You do have to donate one of your own PMAGs for the top portion. The kit includes the coupler/clamp, bottom half of a PMAG and a long mag spring.

For the TAPS rifle match I shot this past Sunday at Topton PA, I used my DPMS 45 rounder (which after some tweaking of the USGI green follower works most of the time). I would have been much more confident using a Nordic/Magpul PMAG conversion both companies make excellent products.

The first stage my squad shot had a 16 targets (32 rounds) that you had to shoot while moving backwards, then you had to go muzzle down (while not breaking the 180 degree rule) and run around a berm and go prone for 26 (or 28) more rounds. To eliminate 1 of reloads (or a standing reload) I used the DPMS 45 round mag and just dumped it after shooting the first part of the stage and just hauled ass around the berm and did a reload on the way before going prone. I used my butt ugly duct taped together dual PMAG set up for going prone because it's more steady than a single mag.

It is a cash payout match so I don't what I've won yet but possibly an upper and/or cash. Out of the 46 shooters in Tactical Optics I placed 2nd (1st place was a Master classified shooter, I'm almost there! ;) ). (there's $1700 is cash prizes) Damn it was cold up there too, it was 39 degrees and in the shade when we started shooting.

I highly recommend this match to anyone that lives reasonably close to PA. It's 3.5hrs from the D.C. area, but was well worth it. 6 stages and I shot about 250 rounds. Dean DeTurk the guy who ran it plans to do 2-3 a year. This is a real rifle match. Rifle at rifle distances, we had one flash steel stage (4 pieces of steel) where you had to shoot offhand at 200yds, move then kneeling/sitting at 200yds, get up and then standing supported at 200yds and prone out at 200yds (with a time limit of 180 seconds, IIRC I did it in 78 seconds). The 4MOA dot in my Leupold covers up a lot of target at 200yds!
The match announcements are in the BrianEnos forums 3gun/rifle/shotgun match announcement section (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=47).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbtoptonrifle2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbtoptonrifle3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robbtoptonrifle5.jpg

uscbigdawg
10-22-08, 08:17
Yep. I've got a bunch in bound. Tim Ubl is the man!

Rich

TY44934
11-10-08, 16:02
heck YES! there is a NEED for these.

For one, Robb could have made some money with one. Second, the shoots from coast to coast all have at least one stage that is designed to force you to waste 2 to 5 seconds on a magazine exchange, by having at least a 34 round count. If all you have is 31 rounds in the gun, you WILL have to reload.

-2 to 5 seconds is one HELL of a long time in either competition or combat; you could easily get killed (or your chance at doing well could go down the drain) in less time than that.

I shot the pistol championships with Tim Ubl back in 2005. He is a good, honest guy & with his partner, Jarmo, they are making some great quality products. I'd buy one or two of these for sure.

One more thought:

-Paul Mauser thought 5 rounds was enough.

-John Garand thought 8 was plenty.

-Enfied designers thought 10 was enough (and the Germans were not happy about it).

-Eugene Stoner figured 20 would do it - and later after Vietnam, the military decided 30 rounds was "enough."

Is it STILL enough?

-the Israel Defense Force (IDF) has been in a LOT of combat since 1948, and they found a reason to make a 50 round magazine for their now-discontinued Kalashnikov varient, the Galil in 5.56mm.

Who's to say that "there is no need" for reliable AR mags with a 47 round capacity?

Before you tell me how many rounds you think I should have, I have to tell you: I sure as HELL resented being told in 1994 - "YOU don't need any magazine that holds over 10 rounds." (google Assault Weapon Ban). Let every man decide for himself.

uscbigdawg
11-11-08, 08:47
More bullets are NEVER bad.

Rich

Robb Jensen
11-11-08, 21:52
Travis Haley (Magpul Dynamics) ran my 47round PMAG/Nordic combo through my 3gun rifle today. It worked 100%. I loaded it up last week to allow the spring to take a 'set'.

Alaskapopo
11-12-08, 03:13
Thanks for posting this I just ordered two. I had not heard about them. These will be great for those long stages.
Pat

TY44934
12-14-08, 19:55
Just picked up mine over the weekend. Will have to try it out sometime soon (though Lord knows when that will be).