PDA

View Full Version : 1,00 rounds on AR15

alcante262
04-28-18, 10:54
Should a 1,000 rounds of .223 ammo through an AR15 cause any problems such as throat erosion etc.:(

Nowski87
04-28-18, 10:59
At a 1k no, unless maybe some old corrosive trash ammo but if you are cleaning your gun it shouldn't happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GH41
04-28-18, 13:19
Should a 1,000 rounds of .223 ammo through an AR15 cause any problems such as throat erosion etc.:(

Every round down the tube causes a little wear. A thousand rounds doing mag dumps one after the other causes more wear than the same thousand shot at a leisurely pace.

ccosby
04-28-18, 13:38
Every round down the tube causes a little wear. A thousand rounds doing mag dumps one after the other causes more wear than the same thousand shot at a leisurely pace.

Yea it depends on how fast the ammo is shot down the barrel. At a normal pace it shouldn't cause a problem. Now doing mag dumps on a full auto lower? Yea you could destroy it.

mack7.62
04-28-18, 17:32
You would have to work very hard to destroy a 4150 chrome lined barrel in 1,000 rounds even doing full auto mag dumps.

Wake27
04-28-18, 18:24
Is it a garbage barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2C
04-28-18, 22:06

Throat erosion occurs as the round count increases. If you are concerned about excessive throat erosion, 1,000 rounds should have a negligible effect.

BoltActionAssault
04-28-18, 22:33
Bi metal projectiles will kill a barrel at around 6000 rounds. It may be cheaper for you to replace the barrel than to spend the extra money on more expensive ammo. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

georgeib
04-29-18, 07:14
Bi metal projectiles will kill a barrel at around 6000 rounds.https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/Sorry, but your statement is simply not true. The Lucky Gunner test involved shooting the rifles as fast as possible, without allowing the barrels to cool. This exacerbates wear tremendously, as hot steel is much softer than cooler steel.

I have around 7k of mild steel jacketed ammo (Wolf and Golden Tiger) through my Sabre Defense chrome lined barrel AR, and about 4k of copper jacketed ammo. The lands are still crisp, and the throat doesn't even look like it has advanced to the naked eye. Plenty of mag dumps, and 500 round days.

BoltActionAssault
04-29-18, 07:17
Sorry, but your statement is simply not true. The Lucky Gunner test involved shooting the rifles as fast as possible, without allowing the barrels to cool. This exacerbates wear tremendously, as hot steel is much softer than cooler steel.

I have around 7k of mild steel jacketed ammo (Wolf and Golden Tiger) through my Sabre Defense chrome lined barrel AR, and about 4k of copper jacketed ammo. The lands are still crisp, and the throat doesn't even look like it has advanced to the naked eye. Plenty of mag dumps, and 500 round days.

I completely agree. It was late when I wrote this and didn't factor that into my reply.

Zirk208
04-29-18, 11:29
If you want your guns to last forever, don't shoot them.

Thrasos
04-29-18, 14:39
Throat erosion should be minimal at 1k round of modern non-corrosive ammo and a quality barrel. I guess you could check it with a scope or with a bore gauge, but if you're routinely doing drills and/or shooting at 50 meter targets then I doubt you would see wonky groupings. For longer distance/precision shooting (300+ meters), you'd probably would. What barrel is it?