PDA

View Full Version : Newb w/ new AR... S&W M&P15T

mpress
10-22-08, 08:51
Hi all.

I've been lurking around here for a while trying to learn as much as possible about the AR platform. Lots of good information available here...

Yesterday my wants got the best of me. The next thing I knew I was walkng out of my favorite firearms store with a new Smith and Wesson M&P 15T. I prefer the flat top/railed look over the plastic hand guards.

Obligatory photo courtesy of S&W...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/811001_large.jpg

I picked up a couple of spare mags but now need to get some bulk .223/5.56 ammo. Any suggestions? I've got plenty of Wolf .223 that I wouldn't mind using up, but I haven't heard much good about it (feed issues and dirty). I'll use the iron sights for now, but will eventually mount some optics. Are there any other "must haves"?

Can't wait to get her out... hopefully this weekend.

RB1968
10-22-08, 09:16
You picked a really great AR there is not a lot it does not alread have. Myself I don't use any Wolf Ammo. Just get some good 5.56 Ammo. and go shoot it.

Give us a range report.:)

austinN4
10-22-08, 09:56
I picked up a couple of spare mags but now need to get some bulk .223/5.56 ammo. Any suggestions?
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=223-55GR-PRVI

Liquid Rhino
10-22-08, 11:40
Sweet, congrats! It's a nice rifle man, enjoy it! :)

flyboy1788
10-22-08, 12:55
nice rifle:cool: go to aim surplus and order some bulk centurion or prvi ammo. they are about as cheap as you can get for brass. If you dont want brass, then wolf would be cheaper.

SwatDawg15
10-22-08, 17:05
You will enjoy that rifle. Even though its new, check and make sure:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Make sure the carrier is properly staked, ect. It prolly is, but I also think its a good idea to double check on ANY rifle you buy. hey what can it hurt? I have an Early model M&P and its correct, but i damn sure double checked all of it. Take some time and read the above, along with the other knowlage base threads here...

Oh and BTW nice shooter :D

nukemustang
10-22-08, 17:25
I did the same thing.... started out looking at one thing and bought a 15T... I did stick a Eotech 512 on top of it to make it look more tacticool...

the only thing I am not positive about it shoving wolf thru it.... to me it is like buying a high performance car and putting crap (87 octane) gas in it.... spend the few extra cents and get decent stuff.... I would LOVE to be paying mainland prices for shipping on bulk stuff!! It is really pushing me towards reloading, even if it is just for the tour out here....

RGT
10-22-08, 19:59
nice rifle:cool: go to aim surplus and order some bulk centurion or prvi ammo. they are about as cheap as you can get for brass. If you dont want brass, then wolf would be cheaper.

Second the Prvi M193. Run a few hundred rounds of Prvi then try some Wolf. If it will run Wolf (after a good break-in) you know you've got a keeper. ;)

Edit to add... All four of my S&W M&P15's eat wolf fine.

Damascus
10-22-08, 21:12
Great choice. I have a 15T that I've put quite a few rounds through, without one single hiccup.
I, like most, don't use Wolf ammo. Cheap, steel cased Russian ammo is for Russian guns... Precision, quality-made American guns deserve precision made American ammo.
If you check into the "Wolf Gold" - they're brass cased, reloadable ammo, look at the price... Why not get ammo from a TRUSTED American brand for the same price, like Remington UMC, Winchester USA, or Federal American Eagle. On Midway- the Wold Gold costs more than those! It even costs more than Prvi Partisan 69gr. Match ammo!! Why would you spend MORE for Wolf! LOL
I stopped using it 8 years ago when my brother and I were shooting, and my brother noticed a weak muzzle report - and checked the bore and discovered a bullet lodged in the barrel (thank God he checked)... Wolf either under-charged it, or didn't charge it at all, and just the primer pressure moved it down the barrel about halfway. After that, I never fired another Wolf round.

mpress
10-23-08, 10:33
Thanks all for the welcome and advice. I'm really looking forward to hitting the range.

On the ammo... I bought the Wolf in bulk about 8 years ago for a Mini-14. That was before I knew any better... on Wolf or Mini's. ;)

mpress
11-13-08, 14:40
Update...

I made it out with a small hunting party the other day. We hit the 100 yard range just to check the sites on the different rifles. In order to keep the group moving I only had time to put 20 rounds down range. The 15T operated without a hitch using Lake City XM193c. My grouping was all over the paper, but generally high and right of where I was aiming. Regardless, I was just pleased to hit the paper considering my lack of experience using open sites at that range.

I'm trying to get out again soon to properly dial in the iron sites before mounting my new Trijicon TA47-6 ACOG (2x20).

L.F.O.D
11-13-08, 17:09
I love my S&W M&P15 and so will you.Wolf is a bad idea. Just my 2 cents.

RGT
11-13-08, 18:32
Update...

I made it out with a small hunting party the other day. We hit the 100 yard range just to check the sites on the different rifles. In order to keep the group moving I only had time to put 20 rounds down range. The 15T operated without a hitch using Lake City XM193c. My grouping was all over the paper, but generally high and right of where I was aiming. Regardless, I was just pleased to hit the paper considering my lack of experience using open sites at that range.

I'm trying to get out again soon to properly dial in the iron sites before mounting my new Trijicon TA47-6 ACOG (2x20).

Just a note. You probably already know this but POI that's high and right can be caused by anticipating recoil.

txbonds
11-13-08, 19:21
Nice looking new rifle. Congrats.