PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Removing a Tight Receiver Extension

D.O.A.F.S.
04-29-18, 17:06
Looking for some tips/advice on removing a tight receiver extension. I'm looking to lighten up my sbr and want to swap out the Magpul UBR that's currently on it for a CTR. I have had no luck even with heating the receiver to loosen it up, ideas? I personally installed the stock years ago, it was torqued to 35 ft lbs with "NO" thread locker.

wigbones
04-29-18, 17:52
You could hit the threads with some WD40.

26 Inf
04-29-18, 17:53
Take the upper off the lower. Place the lower tail up. Dribble KROIL around the castle nut. Eventually you should see KROIL on the exposed threads of the receiver - by the buffer detent. Try to remove it then.

Before KROIL, I used PB Blaster to good effect in removing rusted/corroded parts.

Both should be available at a hardware store or industrial supply.

Other than that you may need to sacrice the castle nut and tube - dremel at angle in two places opposite of each other on the castle nut. Make sure the angle is step enough you don't contact the receiver - you may not be able to dremel the castle nut completely in two. If you are the patient type, apply the KROIL again, if not then try to remove the nut. The ide is you've weakened the nut enough to allow it to flex and move.

That's all I got.

Good Luck.

ScottsBad
04-29-18, 18:55
I've never played with a Magpul UBR, so forgive my ignorance, but does the UBR use a castle nut? I don't believe it does.

Hang the receiver with the buffer tube down and put some penetrating lube where the tube threads meet the receiver threads. Let it sit for a few hours.

Put the receiver in a vise using an appropriate method. Use the wrench that was supplied with the UBR kit to turn the buffer tube counter clock wise. You may have to press the buffer retaining pin down at the same time if the buffer tube is notched.

If this doesn't work try heating the receiver and not the buffer tube to get a differential expansion so the receiver expands slightly while the tube takes time to catch up. While warming it try to turn the buffer tube... You could fill the buffer tube with ice and water to cool it while heating the receiver. Always use penetrating oil at the same time.

If you are at your wits end, you may consider clamping the end of the buffer tube securely in a vise (do not collapse it) and try turning the receiver instead. Put a piece of wood through the magazine well for leverage and gently try twisting the receiver.

Thats all I can think of right now.

D.O.A.F.S.
04-29-18, 19:40
Thanks guys, unfortunately those are things I've tried. The ubr does have a proprietary buffer tube with out a castle nut. I'm at work now, hopefully with soaking overnight it will come loose in the morning. If it doesn't I'll cut off the receiver extension and split what's left in the receiver so not too damage the lower. I'd rather loose the receiver extension then the lower.

MegademiC
04-29-18, 20:45
You got the stock off, right?

Id secure the lower, with firm padding and as much surface area as possible, soak threads in penetrating oil overnight, and take an impact wrench to the stocks rear.

If it destroys the lower, i doubt anything else would have gotten the tube out. Just my 2 cents.

Smokin338
04-30-18, 03:23
What exactly is stuck ?? The one screw on back of buffer tube that holds the upper cheek rest part or the buffer tube itself to the lower ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUXK_VntVB0

D.O.A.F.S.
04-30-18, 03:41
Buffer tube to the receiver.

Smokin338
04-30-18, 10:14
Mag block the lower and a strap wrench will do the trick... you were only suppose to hand tight the tube to began with.

HeruMew
04-30-18, 11:52
You got the stock off, right?

Id secure the lower, with firm padding and as much surface area as possible, soak threads in penetrating oil overnight, and take an impact wrench to the stocks rear.

If it destroys the lower, i doubt anything else would have gotten the tube out. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, but damn; busting a SBR'd lower would chap my ass in all the worst places.

ETA: In all reality, you could try everything short of destroying something.

Turn around, pull the UBR back on. SBR another lower. ;)

militarymoron
04-30-18, 12:44
Did you already chew up the wrench flats on the back of the receiver extension?

D.O.A.F.S.
04-30-18, 15:36
Mag block the lower and a strap wrench will do the trick... you were only suppose to hand tight the tube to began with.

I am using a mag block with the "proper wrench" on the receiver extension. The paperwork that came from "Magpul" with the stock states 35-39 ft lbs for installation.

D.O.A.F.S.
04-30-18, 15:41
Did you already chew up the wrench flats on the back of the receiver extension?

No the flats on receiver extension are in perfect shape, I have been using the correct armorers wrench.

hk_shootr
04-30-18, 16:41
Would suspect the tube galled. The tube, receiver or both may get irreparably damaged trying to break this loose.

D.O.A.F.S.
04-30-18, 16:43
UPDATE....with lessons to be taught and learned.
1. Use the proper tools for the job
2. Patients (walk away when frustration sets in and come back to it later) things never go well when angry/frustrated
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until successful

Receiver extension came loose with no damage to it or the lower receiver.
After 3 days of effort with another cycle of heating and penetrating oil, it came loose.
Thanks guys!

hk_shootr
04-30-18, 17:06
Outstanding........how are the threads?

D.O.A.F.S.
04-30-18, 17:14
Outstanding........how are the threads?

Perfect on both the lower receiver and receiver extension. Your thoughts on thread gulling was a concern of mine as well, although again I installed the stock years ago and knew the receiver extension screwed in by hand and was torqued.

hk_shootr
04-30-18, 19:42
Great to hear you got it removed.....

militarymoron
04-30-18, 19:46
Glad it worked out!