PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 or 34 as all around Secondary Weapon

sundance435
10-22-08, 13:27
I am leaning towards purchasing a Glock 34 as my all-around gun. However, I can't get over the idea that I may be sacrificing long term reliability because of the open area at the end of the slide. I have owned, shot, or carried almost all of Glock's different models (with the exception of the .380's), but I find myself always coming back to one of the 9mms.

I am not and probably never will be a hard operator on any of my weapons, but it's not out of this world to think that there may be a situation where my gun could fall in the mud/sand/take your pick of whatever could cause problems for the gun. I am thinking about getting back into law enforcement, so this gun may be a duty gun, if the department allows it.

What do you all think? Any thoughts on decreased reliability with the open area on the slide?

M4arc
10-22-08, 14:02
What is your primary weapon?

If it's a G19 then I would say get the G17. If you buy G17 holsters they will work with the G19 as well so it will be easier to standardize.

Joe Mamma
10-22-08, 14:11
I can't really comment on the exposed slide/reliability issue.

I'm not sure what makes you want a G34 over a G17. But, if it's a longer sight radius, I can tell you that most people who I know and who have picked a G34 over a G17 (for that reason) have found that the difference is often not noticeable. Were they faced with the same decision again, they would probably go with a G17 (just because it's cheaper).

If I were in your situation, I'd go with a G17.

Joe Mamma

Beat Trash
10-22-08, 14:23
I owned a Glock 17 and Glock 34, (as well as a few G 19's, I like the G19, a lot). I sold the G34.

I really didn't shoot the G34 any better than the G17. My shot to shot recovery time was the same between both guns.

While the open slide might not be an issue, it was always in the back of my mind as potential issue. I decided life is too short to spend it worrying about such things.

I will most likely pick up another G17.

G34Shooter
10-22-08, 14:32
You can have both :D

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/G34Shooter/IMG_0539.jpg

GlockWRX
10-22-08, 14:36
Although I am currently having an affair with an HK45, I still love my G17. When shooting the G34 I always felt that it cycled slower than the G17. Almost as if it was sluggish or something.

As far as dirt in the slide, I wouldn't worry about it so much. If you drop a G34 in the dirt or mud, I think the level of precaution would be the same for a G34 or a G17. Clear it, disassemble it, get the guck out, reassemble, reload, carry on. Think of the IF statements you are stringing together: IF I am in a gunfight, and IF I am using my pistol (where is my rifle?), and IF I drop my pistol, and IF the ground is covered in dirt/mud that can get in my pistol, and IF I drop my pistol in such a way as to get dirt/mud in it, and IF the dirt/mud causes my pistol to malf, and IF I need my pistol again right away, then I am really and truly humped. If all of that comes true, a cutout in the slide is the least of your worries.

For an all around gun I would pick between the G19 and G17. The grips are slightly different between the two, so go with what you like best. If you are going to leave a light on the gun 24/7, then a G34 isn't a bad deal. It's going to be big and bulky anyway, why not get a little more velocity out of the deal.

sff70
10-22-08, 15:23
IMO, the G19 is the best all around Glock. The shorter grip is an advantage for CCW.

Have yet to hear of the hole in the slide in a G34 or G35 causing any problem whatsoever.

Shotdown
10-22-08, 16:20
IMO, the G19 is the best all around Glock. The shorter grip is an advantage for CCW.

Have yet to hear of the hole in the slide in a G34 or G35 causing any problem whatsoever.

Neither have I.

BB01
10-22-08, 16:46
I like the way the 34 tracks in recoil a little more than the 17. Other than that, not much difference. You will probably have an easier time finding duty holsters for the 17. I would get the 17/19, in your situation....then the 34.

Paul45
10-22-08, 18:33
I currently have The 34, the 17, the 19 and the 26. Another 34 I had went thru over 100,000 rounds before I had an issue with the slide - Glock replaced it. I like the 17 better than the 34. It moves from target to target quicker plus it I don't over shoot (move past) the target.
My personal forced ranking would be 19, 17, 26,34. There is nothing the 34 can do that the 17 can't do. The slightly longer sight radius may be of benefit if you shoot real long range but it not that great.
My personal vote for a full size 9mm Glock would be the 17 - for a do evrything 9mm it would be the 19

SethB
10-22-08, 19:04
The longer sight radius manifests itself most prominently in the appearance of the front sight.

It looks thinner than it is.

LOKNLOD
10-22-08, 20:44
For pure shooting I like the 34 better than the 17. Not that there's anything wrong with the 17, but I shoot my 34 a little better. I recently let my 17 go because it was redundant with my 34.

For if "all around" includes concealment, then the 19 would be my first choice.

Gutshot John
10-22-08, 21:02
For pure shooting I like the 34 better than the 17. Not that there's anything wrong with the 17, but I shoot my 34 a little better. I recently let my 17 go because it was redundant with my 34.

For if "all around" includes concealment, then the 19 would be my first choice.

Exactly.

I own and love all three, the 34 shoots the best and I would probably still fight with it if I didn't have to carry concealed.

If I had to carry concealed a 19 is a better way to go. Any difference in accuracy between the 19 and 17 is negligible. IMO sight radius is an overrated concern. Likewise the open slide is probably not a big deal.

I do like two extra rounds and if I was thinking an SHTF scenario, having an extra 17 slide lying around would ease my peace of mind.

With its trigger, I doubt the department would authorize a 34, but I could be wrong. The 17 is an excellent choice for a carry gun.

LOKNLOD
10-22-08, 21:10
Exactly.
I own and love all three, the 34 shoots the best and I would probably still fight with it if I didn't have to carry concealed.

Bingo, my carry gun is a 19, but my battle belt is setup to run my 34 w/ light.

uscbigdawg
10-22-08, 23:05
My carry gun is a G19C. Got rid of the 17 when I got my 34. It lives in the trunk of the car and it's what I use in classes.

After dropping the recoil spring on the G34 and cleaning up the trigger a little bit, it's definitely a shooter. I'll throw some Tru-Grip on it and it'll be done (a buddy put on a set of Henie's and a FO front for me).

Either way you're going to be fine, but of the two, I just like the 34 better.

Rich

ToddG
10-23-08, 01:28
Add me to the list of people who prefer the handling of the G17 over the G34.

JTR
10-23-08, 03:29
I love my G34 and G35, they're great guns and have never give me any problems. I've only ever used them for matches or plinking at the range though. Never used them as a carry piece.

Maybe just me, but the G17 isn't my favorite Glock. Maybe it's just "too bland."

To that end, the G19 sees much more trigger time (not as much as the G34).

If you're looking for one Glock to do it all, I think the G19 is your gun. If you're shooting in a bunch of different matches and only want one gun... G17. If you're able to spread yourself out a bit and can afford two.... G19 and G34.

Robb Jensen
10-23-08, 06:58
I've shot thousands of rounds with both the G17 and the G34 and I find the G17 just as accurate but easier to shoot at speed vs the G34. For really long distance accuracy the G34 is a little nicer. The only realistic benefit I see with the G34 over the G17 for competition is that you can load the ammo a little slower to for a very soft shooting minor power factor load, but it seems that it takes forever to cycle (just one of those things I notice when shooting subsonic 9mm ammo). And with that I've shot just over 15K rounds of very minor power factor 147gr 9mm and I actually now prefer full power 115gr FMJ ammo, I like the gun to cycle very fast I prefer the sights to lift and settle back down very quickly.

uscbigdawg
10-23-08, 10:18
Running a 13# spring in my G34 with medium PF loads and it's awesome. Just a tip.

Rich

ST911
10-23-08, 10:46
What do you all think? Any thoughts on decreased reliability with the open area on the slide?

Non-issue except at environmental and use extremes.

Size efficiency: G19
Standard: G17
No Problem: G34

Keep it stock, and fed with domestically produced, quality manufacture, SAAMI specification ammunition for best outcomes.

HK45
10-25-08, 13:04
The G34 and G19 both feel better balanced to me than the G17. Same is true for G23 and G35. Having said that I would agree the G17 is pretty much the perfect do it all pistol. I like the G19 for carry but the grip is really too small for my apelike hands. I often carry a G17 without issue.

recon
10-26-08, 21:59
My GL-19 for my CCW. Now I'am still deciding on the GL-17L or GL-34. The 17L only gets produce so often. So I'am sort of leaning that way right now.

coldzero4545
11-03-08, 03:03
I compete in USPSA production with a Glock 34 and I carry a glock 19. Personally I see ZERO difference between the two with respect to reliability. They are both as mechanically reliable as I think a machine can be made. Yes...given enough time and stress ANYTHING can fail, but having said that, In the many thousands of rounds that I have pushed through both pistols I can say I've probably had fewer than 10 malfunctions in the past couple of years, and I shoot alot =)

I have personally not found any issues with the ports on the glock 34, I really wouldn't worry about it, I think you will find very little functional (reliability) difference between the 34 and the 17. I however really really like the extended sight radius. I find it makes it much easier to shoot accurately and shot recovery for me is very quick with no noticeable difference with the standard full size models, if you're not convinced watch dave sevigney with a G34, he's amazing!

I've owned the 22, 23,19 and 34, and it is an absolute statistal tie between the glock 19 and the 34. I defiantely shoot the 34 the most accurately and the best, but if I could only have one it'd be the glock 19. I love being able to train and compete with one gun, and having those skills transfer over to my carry gun =) same manual of arms, trigger, grip angle...whats not to like.

for me, I can definately see the difference when it comes to sight radius...pick what works for you! you can't go wrong with a glock 9mm IMO

jerry

kaltblitz
11-03-08, 04:30
I find I shoot the G17 just as well as the G34. I'll take the concealability of the 17 and the ease of draw any day over the 34.

Evan_O
11-03-08, 17:57
I find I shoot the G17 just as well as the G34. I'll take the concealability of the 17 and the ease of draw any day over the 34.

Those are my exact thoughts. Plus a lot more holster selection for the G17 (duty holsters).

Bryan W
11-03-08, 19:38
I'm on board with a few others here - I prefer the 17 over the 34 and I have shot both extensively. There is no objective differences between the two [for me] other than a higher velocity with the same round. The sight radius thing might benefit some shooters but I find it adds nothing to my shooting. Even out to 50yards the G17 will duplicate anything the 34 can do... The best glock group I've ever shot with a glock at 50 was with a G17.....