PDA

View Full Version : FNG question... bolt assist

mpress
10-22-08, 13:46
This might seem like a stupid question...

What exactly does the bolt assist or fwd assist do? How do I know when its needed? My manuel isn't exactly clear on its function.

markm
10-22-08, 14:04
It simply bumps the bolt into battery in the event that the gun gets a little dry (no lube) or really dirty.

When my bolt gets really dry, it gets gritty and doesn't want to lock up very easily. It also comes in handy if you are doing a chamber check.

Elvis269
10-22-08, 14:17
It caused a FUBAR in a situation that is fixable...

markm
10-22-08, 14:27
It caused a FUBAR in a situation that is fixable...

I'm assuming that you're repeating the scenario of jamming a "bad round" into the chamber?

I was mistakenly optimistic that this thread might not head down this ridiculous path.

(Edit: there have been cases where Retards bang round after round into the chamber until the gun blew up.... so if you're not very bright.... err on the side of caution and don't use the Forward Assist. These scenarios are the exception. And just because morons screw something up, it doesn't mean the feature has no value to people with functioning brain cells.)

Elvis269
10-22-08, 14:31
Just repeating a quote from Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch. If you have a problem in the chamber just smashing the bolt further down onto the problem will not fix it. The only reason Stoner put the bolt assist on was because the military demanded it. Stoners bolt assist was the groove in the bolt itself.

markm
10-22-08, 14:34
Stoners bolt assist was the groove in the bolt itself.

Actually.. that groove is the notch for the lump on the dust cover. It's why the dust cover opens when the bolt cycles/before the spent casing ejects.

JBnTX
10-22-08, 14:54
.... If you have a problem in the chamber just smashing the bolt further down onto the problem will not fix it....

Not once have I ever had to use the forward bolt assist in over 40 years
of firing M-16s and AR-15s.

And I've fired some seriously dirty rifles.

Elvis269
10-22-08, 14:54
"Actually.. that groove is alsothe notch for the lump on the dust cover. It's why the dust cover opens when the bolt cycles/before the spent casing ejects."

Fixed it for ya...

sff70
10-22-08, 15:16
In The Black Rifle, it is explained that the military wanted a way to manually close the bolt.

With prior service rifles (M1, M14) , the bolt could be closed by pushing the op rod handle (correct term?) forward.

Stoner added the forward assist, and it's been with us since.

I use the forward assist for ensure the bolt is in battery after performing a press check.

At other times, I use the groove in the bolt to accomplish the same thing.