PDA

View Full Version : If you were a teenager in the 1980s (KARATE KID THREAD)

ramairthree
05-04-18, 09:45
Go to YouTube and watch Cobra Kai.

The real Karate Kid is back.

The first two episodes are on regular YouTube.

34 years after the big match,
They are back.

RetroRevolver77
05-04-18, 09:50
I watched the two free episodes the other day. They were done well.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-04-18, 10:08
I watched the first episode and it is pretty good. I didn't want to watch the second one because then I'd have to subscribe to youtube- and we already do Netflix, prime and cable- and I'm not going to directly financially support youtube.

RetroRevolver77
05-04-18, 10:24
I watched the first episode and it is pretty good. I didn't want to watch the second one because then I'd have to subscribe to youtube- and we already do Netflix, prime and cable- and I'm not going to directly financially support youtube.

The first two episodes are free. You can watch the second one.

Remember, the Karate Kid is the real bully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

ramairthree
05-04-18, 11:05
I think I am going to do the one month free trial, then quit just to finish watching this.

Overall YouTube can take their wussified antigun stance, asthma, peanut allergy, and other made up bullshit and get out.

El Vaquero
05-04-18, 17:12
I watched the first episode and thought it was well done. Like someone else said, I also have Netflix and am not paying for another monthly service. I may do the month trial deal to to finish the shows but doing it that way is often a hassle. Damn you Netflix, you should’ve picked up this show first! Lol.

Moose-Knuckle
05-04-18, 18:33
I need to check that out.

El Rey Network is airing two episodes in order of The A-Team every weekday. There in the middle of season three currently and I've caught them all so far. Before that I just binged watched all eight seasons of Magnum P.I.

I watched the first episode and thought it was well done. Like someone else said, I also have Netflix and am not paying for another monthly service. I may do the month trial deal to to finish the shows but doing it that way is often a hassle. Damn you Netflix, you should’ve picked up this show first! Lol.

Yeah it's getting a bit ridiculous with all the different TV services now; Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.

I have Sling via Amazon and would like to watch some other services content but I'm not paying for yet another subscription service.

Moose-Knuckle
05-04-18, 18:36
double tap.

SteyrAUG
05-04-18, 23:51

All that. Saw the preview the other day and it was hilarious.

HeruMew
05-04-18, 23:53
I knew from the previews that Danny turned into the dick of it all.

Excited to start it. My mother insistson supporting youtube red for the family, so I will be watching it fully.

Nonetheless, they look damn near the same.

Honu
05-05-18, 03:03
The first two episodes are free. You can watch the second one.

Remember, the Karate Kid is the real bully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

that was funny :)

Grand58742
05-06-18, 19:55
In an all new YouTube Red movie called "Cobra Kai" broken up into 10 parts. I know there is some disdain for YouTube at the moment, but it's not exactly what I was expecting. Certainly worlds better than the half assed remake they did with Jackie Chan and what's his name's kid.

The story takes place 30 years after the first movie where Daniel LaRusso (played by Ralph Macchio) is a successful businessman in LA while Johnny Lawrence (played by William Zabka) is a down on his luck ordinary guy still stuck reliving the 80s. Fate brings them together and old wounds are reopened where the grudges of 30 years past are brought back full force. There are a lot of twists and turns in the story and back story on Johnny himself including the events from the first film being seen through his perspective.

I halfway expected a touchy-feely social justice extravaganza, but it almost seems like they are going out of their way to insult it along with insulting the concept of "protect our children by wrapping them in bubble wrap" society we've become. It has some laughs and plot angles that make it enjoyable but without entirely being a remake of the original film. However, there is enough nostalgia and chuckles for those who grew up trying that Crane Technique every chance they got and loved the first film. Great soundtrack as more than a few songs from the original were included in this film. (No Bananarama though, sorry for the minor spoiler)

The ending certainly begs for a Season 2 if YouTube proceeds with it. It's worth the five hours or so to watch it as it's true to the spirit of the franchise.

HeruMew
05-06-18, 19:55
Like your breakdown. But a topic already exists titled: Teenager In the 1980s.

Grand58742
05-06-18, 19:57
My bad, didn't see the target already.

Mods, please merge.

ramairthree
05-10-18, 12:22
Alright, this was awesome.

Well worth the time to watch and complete.

Just hilarious and great.

My one thing I wish,
Was that they had done this ten or twenty years out of high school, not like 34.

That is really a stretch.

Grand58742
05-10-18, 14:02
Season 2 ordered:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/karate-kid-sequel-cobra-kai-renewed-season-2-at-youtube-1110673

docsherm
05-10-18, 14:55
I watched the entire season 1. It was well done and I love the back story on Johnny....... so well done. I am looking forward to season 2.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-10-18, 17:07
Alright, this was awesome.

Well worth the time to watch and complete.

Just hilarious and great.

My one thing I wish,
Was that they had done this ten or twenty years out of high school, not like 34.

That is really a stretch.

The older I get, the shorter time seems to be. 34 years ago is yesterday. I give a brother crap about stuff from 30 years ago.

ramairthree
05-11-18, 08:23
I agree with the times goes faster as you age.

Earlier in life chunks of time are a much greater proportion of your life.

But I meant for realistic purposes.

militarymoron
05-11-18, 08:59
I watched it with my family over the past few days. Thoroughly enjoyed it. My 10 year old son had never seen the original Karate Kid, so we watched that first, before watching the Cobra Kai series. I'd say that this is one of the better done sequels I've seen in a while.

SteyrAUG
05-11-18, 16:56
I watched the entire season 1. It was well done and I love the back story on Johnny....... so well done. I am looking forward to season 2.

Concur.

ramairthree
05-12-18, 10:57
This is the most epic of television events in the history of television,

With the possible exception of Sam and Dean Winchester showing up in a 67 Impala with a trunk full of guns to help the Scooby gang actually kill some actual real ghosts, not someone in a costume that would have gotten away with it if not for those meddlesome kids.

Spiffums
05-13-18, 13:59
I need to check that out.

El Rey Network is airing two episodes in order of The A-Team every weekday. There in the middle of season three currently and I've caught them all so far. Before that I just binged watched all eight seasons of Magnum P.I.

Yeah it's getting a bit ridiculous with all the different TV services now; Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.

I have Sling via Amazon and would like to watch some other services content but I'm not paying for yet another subscription service.

If you don't own a Mini-14 already.......you will soon!

Moose-Knuckle
05-16-18, 01:21
If you don't own a Mini-14 already.......you will soon!

Had a stainless model with a Choate side folder that my dad gave me when I graduated HS, with his blessing I sold it and took the money to pay for an Arsenal SLR-105 when they were first being imported.

Funny thing is, they didn't use the Mini-14's till season two. In season one they used M16's and an M60.

Slater
05-16-18, 10:47
I think the A-Team fired enough ammo to fill a munitions dump and didn't really hit anybody.

Moose-Knuckle
05-16-18, 13:01
I think the A-Team fired enough ammo to fill a munitions dump and didn't really hit anybody.

True.

The show was intended for kids and they didn't want the good guys wasting baddies every week. More adult shows like Miami Vice, Hunter, etc. had the bad guy die in the end, usually.

Grand58742
03-13-19, 13:57
Season 2 Teaser out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3RqajyxUco

docsherm
03-13-19, 18:24
Season 2 Teaser out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3RqajyxUco

Hell yeah!!!!

Firefly
04-24-19, 08:24
GO WATCH NOW

It's awesome

docsherm
04-24-19, 09:58
GO WATCH NOW

It's awesome

I am starting it today.

Firefly
04-24-19, 19:40
No spoilers but half in and this show is getting me in the feels. I simultaneously feel like a kid and an old man all at once

Holy Hell this is brilliant

duece71
04-25-19, 00:00
I want to see it but like others have said......no more subscription services please. Netflix and you tube fit my viewing nicely, I bought some rabbit ears for local stuff and was startled to see old shows on the “Me” network. Old mash episodes, perry mason and stuff. I can only hope for reruns of the fall guy, Bj and the bear and the Dukes of Hazard. Did anyone catch the “30 for 30” about the Karate Kid on YT? Hilarious. Describing the crane kick like it was the Maradonna “hand of God”.......

Firefly
04-25-19, 00:05
That last episode was epic.

I never, ever thought Karate Kid would ever get this intense. That lastcepisode was like Degrassi High from HELL man......

Grand58742
04-26-19, 07:52
Binge watched it yesterday. They certainly know how to toss a cliffhanger at the end of the season.

Nowski87
04-26-19, 10:05
Just finished the second season last night. It was a roller coaster and a ton of fun. I'm excited to see where Johnny and Danny go from here.