PDA

View Full Version : M&P 2.0 - On The Fence

robstercraw
05-04-18, 12:40
I need to pick up something in .40 to help me burn through all this Ammo I’ve stockpiled over the years. I came across an unfired M&P 2.0 compact with TFO sites box and 3 mags for $349 plus tax. I love the feel of the new aggressive grip, but a little skeptical. I had one of the bad batches of original m&p’s with the barrel issue. Is this too good a deal to pass up? Are the new 2.0’s leaps and bounds better then the originals? Thx

opngrnd
05-04-18, 12:46
I'm a guy that left the M&P platform for the same reasons you mentioned. My buddy picked up a 2.0 and it's much better. If either the Apex barrels or the 2.0 had come out I'd still be running M&P pistols.

MStarmer
05-04-18, 12:54
I wouldn't say it's "too" good to pass us. But if you were unhappy with the M&P I'd pick up something else, or just sell the ammo! I like the gun and still have one M&P left but I've never found them "consistent". For some reason my M&P .40 full size feels like it kicks harder than my G27 that's a joy to shoot?

Sam
05-04-18, 13:51
My 2.0C is very accurate. 2" group off hand at 10 yds and double that at 20 yds.

Helix12
05-04-18, 13:56
I've owned three Gen 1 M&Ps, along with a number of other polymer framed striker fired handguns. I no longer own any of those Gen 1 guns, but have had a 2.0 compact in 9mm for several months. There will definitely be more 2.0s in my near future. I really like this one and plan to do nothing to it except buy more magazines and another holster.

Earlier in the week I again shot the 2.0 side by side with one of my G19s. I like both, but certainly prefer the 2.0.

I have never owned a .40 and never plan to. But I have a magazine article written by Kyle Lamp, a man whose opinion I have some respect for. He was comparing the Gen 1 M&P in 9mm to the Glock 17. In that article he also mentions that the M&P was designed around the .40 while the Glock was designed for the 9mm and had to be tweeked to handle the .40. He teaches shooting classes and sees a lot of shooters. He said basically that the Smith handled the .40 more reliably than the Glock.

In that article, his conclusion was that if you wanted a handgun capable of bringing out the best in your shooting then the Smith was it. But if you wanted a gun for the apocalypse then grab the Glock since there would be more of them lying around for spare mags and parts. He ended it with the suggestion to buy both. No need to offend a segment of his readers.

For myself I have always found the M&P of either generation to be a soft shooter, somewhat softer than my Glocks. I no idea about the .40 as I've never owned one.

OP, good luck with your choice.

Uni-Vibe
05-04-18, 14:03
New? 3 mags included? $350? Sounds like a good deal.

My experience: I was offered a NIB Ruger 93e with three mags for $300. Never had a poly striker double stack gun in my life. Didn't think I'd ever want one. Bought it because it was cheap, and I figured if I didn't like it, I could sell or trade it and not lose anything. Now it's my everyday packin' gun, I like it that much.

Grab it and don't look back!

SiGfever
05-04-18, 17:33
If you want to shoot a smooth shooting .40, try the HK USPc .40. It is the smoothest shooting .40 that I have shot.

WickedWillis
05-04-18, 18:55
If you want to shoot a smooth shooting .40, try the HK USPc .40. It is the smoothest shooting .40 that I have shot.

Not a bad opinion. I hate .40, but I would buy a USP40 in a heartbeat because it feels like a 9mm.

I also have been kicking around picking up a full size M&P 2.0, in 9 though. I saw a crazy deal on one with a threaded barrel today.

robstercraw
05-04-18, 19:20
Not a bad opinion. I hate .40, but I would buy a USP40 in a heartbeat because it feels like a 9mm.

I also have been kicking around picking up a full size M&P 2.0, in 9 though. I saw a crazy deal on one with a threaded barrel today.

My local shop has stacks of leo trade USP .40 with NS for $349. The grip is a little too large for my liking though.

SiGfever
05-04-18, 19:26
My local shop has stacks of leo trade USP .40 with NS for $349. The grip is a little too large for my liking though.

The USPc is a little slimmer.

zecropper
05-04-18, 20:01
I’d probably pick an FNS40 over an m&p. I personally wasn’t impressed with the 2.0. However my personal FNS40 has thousands of rounds through it with absolutely 0 malfunctions. Can be found pretty cheap with night sights too. The trigger could be better but once it’s broken in, it’s pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunnut284
05-04-18, 22:41
I’ve been very pleased with my M&P9C 2.0. That deal sounds real good.

Bodhi
05-04-18, 23:11
I like my 2.0c 9mm quite a bit. But i'll say this: out of the box, there are better firearms. I wasn't really happy with it until I put the apex polymer trigger shoe in there ($39.)

I did that and an extended mag release because I have burger king hands.

Out of the box, I like my VP9 more. But the M&P sits in my night stand.

For $340 - if you like .40, that's a good deal.

Tigereye
05-05-18, 07:06
I have one of the Gen 1 M&P Pros but didn't have the accuracy issues until a few years later. I sent the upper to S&W and they replaced the barrel with the newer version. I recently bough the 2.0c in 9mm and really like this one out of the box. The trigger is better, grip texture is much better, and accuracy is similar to what Sam stated above. I doubt that I will change anything on the gun other than installing night sights at some point. Very pleased with the 9mm.

26 Inf
05-05-18, 15:30
Very pleased with my M&P 2.0 5 inch. I need Glocks to shoot GSSF, other than that I'm not sure I'd miss the full-sized ones.

hile
05-07-18, 08:39
I have an M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm. Really like it. I use Glocks day-to-day, but that pistol I'd love to shoot. I wasn't a fan of the 1.0. When a M&P CORE 2.0 5" comes out (without the God-forsaken thumb safety), I'll be buying one in a heartbeat to complement my G34MOS.

bobbytucson
05-09-18, 00:22
i really like my 2.0, the barrel geometry has been fixed, the trigger has a different sear design, and the frame was well thought out this time around. i actually love it

26 Inf
05-09-18, 11:15
I have an M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm. Really like it. I use Glocks day-to-day, but that pistol I'd love to shoot. I wasn't a fan of the 1.0. When a M&P CORE 2.0 5" comes out (without the God-forsaken thumb safety), I'll be buying one in a heartbeat to complement my G34MOS.

Removing the thumb safety is a simple operation, you can buy plugs for the frame, or S&W will send you some - at least they did me.

Watrdawg
05-09-18, 11:30
I just purchased a 2.0 9mm Compact and can't wait for it to come in. I have a M&P 45 Mid size and love the weapon. It's definitely the most accurate handgun I own. However, I carry a G19 mainly because of the size. If the 2.0 9C shoots at least as well as my G19 it will take it's place and become my daily carry weapon.

RWH24
05-10-18, 00:20
Copper Customs has some LEO trade in Sigs and M&P's

https://coppercustom.com/firearms/leo-trade-ins

RWH24
05-10-18, 00:38
I love my 2.0C's. 1 with Trijicon RMR07 6,5moa RD and Apex Tactical FCG
The other with top of slide serrations and Apex Tactical FCG
DeSantis holster 002 Speed Scabbard

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413810689.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413714632.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413883852.jpg

This is a M&P 1.0 FS. Apex FCG and Gunsmith fitted barrel and RMR07.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413714548.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413714547.jpg

All mill work and gunsmithing was completed at ATEI by #dougified #functionfirst

Watrdawg
05-10-18, 09:02
Which IWB holsters are y'all using for your 2.0 Compacts? I really like Custom Carry Concepts holsters and have 3 of them but they have a 9-12 week turn around time. I've looked at the Bravo Concealment Torsion and DOS IWB's and like the looks of them so far. Any other suggestions?

hile
05-10-18, 10:00
Which IWB holsters are y'all using for your 2.0 Compacts? I really like Custom Carry Concepts holsters and have 3 of them but they have a 9-12 week turn around time. I've looked at the Bravo Concealment Torsion and DOS IWB's and like the looks of them so far. Any other suggestions?

Raven Vanguard 3. Because it indexes off the U-boat (you do have a light on your primary, right?), it works with all of my pistols.

RWH24
05-10-18, 10:00
Do you wear it at 3-4 o'clock or appendix?
I can't wear IWB due to a surgery. OWB only for me.

Watrdawg
05-10-18, 11:27
I usually wear my G19 in the 3-4 o'clock area. I've tried appendix before and it isn't comfortable for me. I'm not into the Raven Vanguard. I'm going to transfer the Surefire XC1 from the G19 to the M&P. If not that then I will get the new version of the XC with the higher lumens. Regardless and XC will be on the M&P.

63Qcode
05-11-18, 13:29
While my M&P 2.0C isn`t a 9mm , maybe some general comments may help . I have the FNS and PPQ in 9mm and recently picked up the 2.0C . Just finished a little over 500 rounds this week as break in and checkout before I consider it as a carry gun .
First , I absolutely love my PPQ as the ergonomics fit me perfectly and the trigger is one of the best I`ve seen . I have the paddle mag releases .... and can drop a mag without shifting my grip and can drop a slide with the slide release the same way . That said , I also have over 2500 rounds through it with zero problems . The one thing that Walther could improve on is to duplicate the M&P 2.0 grip texture or the FNS grip texture .... they`re that good as far as I`m concerned . As I said , I love my PPQ , but the M&P is right up there with it . The lower bore axis makes followup shots easier and faster than the PPQ ( cured that with Sprinco RSA ) and in my opinion , the factory sights really aren`t that bad . I cleaned and lubed the gun , went to the range and went through 500 + rounds over two days with zero failures and then tried 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot with no issues . Accuracy is the equal of both my FNS and the PPQ .
I wasn`t expecting to this gun being that good , but the one I have is . My groups are about the same as my PPQ that I have over 2500 rounds through and I was hitting steel out to 50 yards easily .
I heard some people don`t like the hinged trigger , but I had no problems with it ..... not as good as the PPQ trigger , but really pretty good and will only get better with more rounds through it .
All in all , I feel you can`t go wrong with this gun .... or the FNS , or the PPQ .

m4brian
05-11-18, 16:45
Clearly the Walther paddle is one of the BEST features to ever come out of the firearm industry. The ability to change mags without moving your grip whatsoever (and be truly ambi without a downside) is awesome and gets lost in button stupidly. Too bad.

REALLY like the slide work above. Nice!

SiGfever
05-11-18, 20:01
Clearly the Walther paddle is one of the BEST features to ever come out of the firearm industry. The ability to change mags without moving your grip whatsoever (and be truly ambi without a downside) is awesome and gets lost in button stupidly. Too bad.

REALLY like the slide work above. Nice!

I agree, my USPc .40 makes it a breeze to drop a mag. My P2000SK's that I sold were the same way, a far better system in my humble opinion. A G19 with the paddle mag release is my Holy Grail.

63Qcode
05-11-18, 22:12
That`s why I`m looking at the Walther P99AS for my next purchase for a Summer carry gun . The disadvantage is that there isn`t a lot of aftermarket stuff available for it or the PPQ , but as I found out , the PPQ really doesn`t need anything other than a sight change . I tried the Apex trigger system and changed back to the stock trigger . I did go with the Sprinco RSA to reduce muzzle flip some and some skateboard tape to help my grip .
I will be going to a RMR on one of my Q`s because of old eyes .... my first rifle in Basic was a Garand M1 as was my second , yes , I`m that old !
On a lot of other guns , you have to add an extended mag release and/or slide release .... already there on these two . To drop a mag , all I have to do is move my trigger finger up on the slide and use the next finger on the paddle release without changing grip at all . Really works well .... however , Walther has the paddle release on only the PPQ M1 Classic and the P99 I believe .

dm679864
05-12-18, 17:08
What light/laser systems do yall use on it?

Bodhi
05-12-18, 19:16
What light/laser systems do yall use on it?

I'm throwing my PL2 through the ringer right now. No issues.

hile
05-12-18, 19:28
X300U or X300V.

Watrdawg
05-24-18, 09:25
I just picked up a 2.0 9 Compact from my FFL. I bought it from X-Werks in AZ and had them cerakote the frame a dark OD. Looks good! They did a rifle for me last year and do good work. I also had them install Trijicon HD's in place of the regular sights. 1st impressions after dry firing a few times and comparing it to my G19 is that I like the trigger much more so than my G19. Overall dimensions are about as exact to each other as can be. The grip of the M&P feels better in my hand than the G19's does. I have small hands and the G19 grip is squarer than the M&P's. Both feel fine it's just the M&P's feels better. Really subjective more than anything. I've decided to carry the M&P in a Bravo Concealment DOS IWB holster. Main reason is that it will ship in a couple of days and it is the most similar to the Custom Carry Concepts IWB I prefer. The CCC holster wouldn't ship for at least 9 weeks and more than likely 12 weeks or so. Once the Bravo comes in I'll carry it for a bit and then decide if I want to order a CCC holster. On my G19 I have a Surefire XC1 and am thinking about transferring to the M&P or purchasing another one. I may not though. I've had it on my G19 for about a year or so and I'm thinking about where and when I've carried it and if there would have been a need for the weapon light. So far off the top of my head no. Although I've always thought Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

So, overall I like the M&P and can't wait to get tot he range with it. That will happen sometime this weekend. I'll make sure of the zero and put 300-400 rounds down range and see what it will do.

shadowrider
05-24-18, 12:37
I still have half a dozen various iterations of the 1.0 in the safe. If you found a 2.0 with 3 mags at that price I'd grab it.

Edit to add: My 1.0 M&P .40 with the factory .357Sig barrel is a tack driver. I bought one of the factory barrels Midway had and it shoots lights out. As in big ragged hole at 15.

gunrunner505
05-24-18, 19:44
I have a gen 1 M&P 40 full size that I swear by. It has been flawless from jump street. Very accurate and easy to shoot and the recoil isn't bad at all as far as I'm concerned.

Bodhi
05-24-18, 23:57
Just got back from the range after putting 100 rounds through my VP9 and my M&P 2.0 and trying a few glocks out from my friends.

The 2.0 was less forgiving of a pistol than the glocks.

The size of it is really amazing for what it is and it does fit my hand better than the glock 19. Also, i always hate playing the glock lottery.

But the pistol proved to be 100% reliable once again and most of my friends liked it a lot.

CPM
05-25-18, 02:49
What does less forgiving mean?

beschatten
05-25-18, 09:56
My wife got interested in shooting after a year of marriage, so I bought her a M&P 2.0 9mm after she tried a bunch at our local range. The 2.0 had the smoothest recoil impulse out of all the polymer pistols, which I found to be true too. I was on the fence between picking up a Gen 5 17 for myself (if she gets a gun, I get one too lol). Since I'm a long-time 1911 shooter, I went with the FDE 5 inch 2.0 with a thumb safety. She went the 4.25 with thumb safety. This keeps our manual of arms training consistent.

I have no regrets purchasing either, although it was quite a bit of adjustment coming from high end 1911s. Especially the trigger press. My one gripe is, as a lefty, it's damn near impossible releasing the slide-stop with my left thumb. I'm hoping it will wear in with use, but so far no dice. I'm thinking of filing down the notch that holds it up a bit, but we'll see - I give it another 1k rounds.

mpom
05-25-18, 10:33
My wife got interested in shooting after a year of marriage, so I bought her a M&P 2.0 9mm after she tried a bunch at our local range. The 2.0 had the smoothest recoil impulse out of all the polymer pistols, which I found to be true too. I was on the fence between picking up a Gen 5 17 for myself (if she gets a gun, I get one too lol). Since I'm a long-time 1911 shooter, I went with the FDE 5 inch 2.0 with a thumb safety. She went the 4.25 with thumb safety. This keeps our manual of arms training consistent.

I have no regrets purchasing either, although it was quite a bit of adjustment coming from high end 1911s. Especially the trigger press. My one gripe is, as a lefty, it's damn near impossible releasing the slide-stop with my left thumb. I'm hoping it will wear in with use, but so far no dice. I'm thinking of filing down the notch that holds it up a bit, but we'll see - I give it another 1k rounds.

Read up on Apex kits for your M&Ps, install and you will be close to 1911 trigger pull as far as weight, creep and overtravel. Will still have a fair amount of takeup, but a world better than OEM trigger pull

MegademiC
05-25-18, 11:00
I disnt know the 40s ever had an issue- mine was fine until i tried a storm lake conversion barrel(accuracy went to crap, groups opened up 100%).

I find the mp40 recoil very mild and police trade ins are like $300. A new 2.0 for $350 is dirt cheap.

That said usp40 is phenominal as well but too bib to carry imo. The mpfs was barely small enough to aiwb carry with vg2 and vg3. Ive since switched to glock.

Bodhi
05-25-18, 19:11
What does less forgiving mean?

Shooter errors were exaggerated and noticeable. Perfect shooting was rewarded though.

I'm going to take it out again by myself and put a few hundred down to have a real opinion on it.

But so far, i'm 300 rounds in with the PL2 and no issues.

beschatten
05-26-18, 15:19
Read up on Apex kits for your M&Ps, install and you will be close to 1911 trigger pull as far as weight, creep and overtravel. Will still have a fair amount of takeup, but a world better than OEM trigger pull

At this point, I am okay with the trigger pull weight and the "rolling" break effect. I may replace the actual trigger though with the APEX aluminum one for a less hooked press and more solid platform for my finger.

jackblack73
05-26-18, 20:03
I have an Apex flat faced forward set trigger on the way. I don’t like how the stock trigger breaks so far to the rear. It makes me pull a shot every now and then.

Talon167
05-27-18, 19:23
I have two M&P 2.0 pistols. I have been extremely impressed. I first bought the 5" and just recently bought the 2.0C (the gun they should've come out with 10 years ago). I think the trigger is pretty good for an off the shelf striker (then again, I am not a trigger snob); the sights are usable (unlike Glock's); and around here they can be had for $430 all day.

I think it's the best pistol for the money out there.

Watrdawg
05-29-18, 07:15
I went to the range Saturday and put close to 300 rounds down range. No malfunctions of any kind. One issue though. I had the sights replaced with Trij HD's and around 150 rounds or so I notice the left side base of the front sight was missing. The gun shop that installed the sights must have cracked the base during installation. So unfortunately I've had to order a new front sight. I should have installed them myself and I'd have saved a bit of money. Other than that I love the weapon. Trigger is fine. It is as accurate as my G19, even out to 25 yards and it feels great in my hands. Much more so than my G19. All I can say is that it's a keeper and at this point taking the place of my G19 as an EDC weapon.

Caduceus
05-29-18, 09:17
Buy it, then PM me to buy three mags I somehow got in the wrong caliber!

Watrdawg
06-01-18, 11:53
If anyone is looking for 2.0C mags Gun Magazine Warehouse has them for $24.99 a mag. Most everyone else is between $30 and $34.99 a mag.

scooter22
09-23-18, 11:47
FWIW, I shot my friend’s 2.0c this weekend and I was much more accurate with it versus my 17.

I will be switching platforms.

Ron3
09-24-18, 23:06
FWIW, I shot my friend’s 2.0c this weekend and I was much more accurate with it versus my 17.

I will be switching platforms.

Timely post.

I really like the grip and grip angle on the S&W's. They have become my favorite striker action pistol. I was a Glock guy for many years but I haven't been shooting my G19's lately.

I still shoot them okay (thousands of rounds) but since firing other guns I'm really disliking the trigger, grip, grip angle, and fat, square slide. I really don't care to carry or shoot them anymore. One was my wife's but she doesn't fire or carry it anymore. She started getting malfunctions due to limp-wristing.

They'll probably get sold when the right offer comes along.

I'm getting my Shield .45 back and plan to keep that awhile. If I replace the G19 with something similar sized it will be a 2.0 S&W. Probably 9mm but I'd like to shoot the .45 and see how it felt.

How come there aren't any 20-30 rounds mags for the M&P's? I have seen a 14 rnd S&W mag for the .45's.