PDA

View Full Version : 458 SOCOM upper

lalakai
10-22-08, 15:45
okay, need experienced based info on the 458 SOCOM?? Already have 5.56 BCM upper, and looking to add diversity that would also include animal hunting (large body animals); yes the 5.56 can be used for deer, but it's not my preference. I've looked at building an AR-10 and may go that route, but I like the option of just switching uppers (and buffer springs) and having a very heavy short range projectile. I currently reload so ammo costs would be minimul, and cartridge configuration would be very flexible.

Please keep the flames to a minimum, I'm looking for opinions and experience. So lets hear those thoughts..................and thanks in advance.:D

chadbag
10-22-08, 18:24
I don't know what the current state of the forums are but there is this

http://458socomforums.com/

http://www.teppojutsu.com/

I am going to get a 458 barrel one of these days... Don't have any experience right now.

Spooky130
10-22-08, 19:16
The .458 is great fun to shoot. Look at all the .458 projectiles available out there. You can buy 300 gr Remington bullets very cheap or you can go for the high-end heavy weight stuff for a $1 or $2 per bullet. So far mine has been good on the brass - not a super high pressure round so you'll get good use out of the cases. Mine was built on a DPMS Lo-Pro upper - if I did it again it would be on a normal upper with the ejection port opened up a little. I also have a 12.0 DD rail on it. The trick is getting a gas block to fit under a rail like that and have it big enough to fit around the barrel. Mine has been fairly reliable but there were a few teething issues off the bat.

Spooky

Silvertip
10-25-08, 12:20
For the first time last year, the state of Indiana went beyond shotgun slugs, muzzle loaders and handguns for deer hunting. They set up parameters for "Pistol Cartridge Rifles". Basically a cartridge of .357 dia or larger with a minimum and maximum case length of 1.16" to 1.625". The .458 SOCOM fits. A few used custom rifles from Teppo Jutsu for last years deer season. When the RRA rifles and uppers hit this summer, we Hoosiers scooped them up.

I went with a complete LAR-458 rifle. I added very little to the out of the box package--Badger Ord Tach Latch, Magpul trigger guard, recoil pad for an A2 stock from DSA, Harris bipod, Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 shotgun/muzzle loader scope. I reload my own ammo, so I purchased a set of CH dies (after returning a set of Lee dies), Starlline brass, Rem 300 gr JHP bullets, H110 powder, and CCI 350 primers.

I love my range time with this system. Off the bench, I am getting center to center 1-1/8" to 1-5/8" groups at 100 yards. My handloads of 35 gr of H110 are point blank to about 150 yards. The ammo feeds flawlessly from unmodified GI mags. This is a very enjoyable and effective rifle.

Cold
10-27-08, 17:13
I don't know what the current state of the forums are but there is this

http://458socomforums.com/

http://www.teppojutsu.com/

I am going to get a 458 barrel one of these days... Don't have any experience right now.

The forums are good to go, I know, I own it. Had a upgrade going on, plus correction of spamming issues, you must be a member to see the boards, but its free, no more spam since we went to this option.

jwfuhrman
08-28-09, 11:39
For the first time last year, the state of Indiana went beyond shotgun slugs, muzzle loaders and handguns for deer hunting. They set up parameters for "Pistol Cartridge Rifles". Basically a cartridge of .357 dia or larger with a minimum and maximum case length of 1.16" to 1.625". The .458 SOCOM fits. A few used custom rifles from Teppo Jutsu for last years deer season. When the RRA rifles and uppers hit this summer, we Hoosiers scooped them up.

I went with a complete LAR-458 rifle. I added very little to the out of the box package--Badger Ord Tach Latch, Magpul trigger guard, recoil pad for an A2 stock from DSA, Harris bipod, Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 shotgun/muzzle loader scope. I reload my own ammo, so I purchased a set of CH dies (after returning a set of Lee dies), Starlline brass, Rem 300 gr JHP bullets, H110 powder, and CCI 350 primers.

I love my range time with this system. Off the bench, I am getting center to center 1-1/8" to 1-5/8" groups at 100 yards. My handloads of 35 gr of H110 are point blank to about 150 yards. The ammo feeds flawlessly from unmodified GI mags. This is a very enjoyable and effective rifle.

totally with you man, Im from the Fort Wayne area. Im using a 44Mag Handi-Rifle right now, but I wanna get a 458SOCOM upper for my A2 lower. Would be FUN to hunt with

BLACK LION
08-31-09, 11:02
You may want to check out MGI military.com as well... They build uppers as well as provide just the barrel and bolt... Everything is to Martys specs... The barrels are match grade BTW.
If you have freaky tech questions...Marty @ Teppo jutsu is good at answering calls and responding to emails... I had a few conversations with him.
There is also Tromix...

SBR is a consistent source of ammo 458socomammo.com
SBRammunition.com

there are other resources and they are most quickly and easily tapped at the
458socom forum....

RRA is a quick and easy one stop shop but you have to put in some leg work to secure one...

have fun