PDA

View Full Version : She Lives!!!

echo5whiskey
05-05-18, 20:30
So after about a year of gathering parts and tools, I finally finished my first AR build. It's not meant to be a DMR or anything like that. In fact, I haven't even shot it through the sights. I've fired a grand total of five rounds through it to make sure it works.

For my first shots, I used Federal XM193--not for any specific reason other than that's what the LGS had on hand. I had smooth and flawless function with each round. Granted, five shots aren't necessarily a sure bet for anything, but at least I know I put everything in pretty much the right spot...I think. I don't know, I've never actually had to test-fire anything not assembled by a factory. Regardless, the first five shots were great.

I wanted to build something that (I believe) will last. The only things I "cheaped" out on (meaning I used generic parts) were some of the standard, small stuff. My parts list is as follows:

Lower:

Sons of Liberty Gun Works (SOLGW) stripped M4 Lower
SOLGW lower parts kit (Blaster Starter Kit)
ALG Advanced Combat Trigger
Primary Arms carbine buffer
DSG Arms receiver extension
DSG Arms buffer spring
Battle Arms Development--Ambi Safety Selector
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
Magpul MOE grip
Magpul MOE stock

Upper:

SOLGW stripped M4 upper
SOLGW upper parts kit
Faxon 16" gunner profile nitride barrel; mid-gas
Faxon nitride bolt carrier group (factory head-spaced, purchased as set)
Faxon ultra-low profile gas block (purchased as set)
Faxon mid-length gas tube (purchased as set)
ALG 15" EMR hanguard
Primary Weapon Systems FSC556 Mod 2 muzzle device
Strike Industries latchless charging handle

Once I get some more time and ammo, I'll probably finish Faxon's break-in recommendations. Then I'm going to try and work her out a little bit. I might even put some color on her too.

ETA: The only assembly hiccup was that I stripped the head of one of the screws attaching the handguard to the barrel nut.

hk_shootr
05-06-18, 05:48
Very nice......if ya contact ALG and explain you stripped a screw head, they will send you replacements

echo5whiskey
05-06-18, 18:40
Thanks. I'll have to do that...once I get it out. :jester:

everready73
05-06-18, 19:12
Nice build. I have heard good things about the gunner barrel. Once thing to consider would be one of Black River Tactical's gas block insert as the gas port on the larger side at .081. I would take it down to. 076- .078 for optimal function. If you don't do that an h or H2 buffer will help

echo5whiskey
05-06-18, 19:29
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep it in mind. I haven't had a chance to see how she handles with rapid fire yet, so I'll cross that bridge if it comes up.

MistWolf
06-05-18, 11:43
Nice build. I have heard good things about the gunner barrel. Once thing to consider would be one of Black River Tactical's gas block insert as the gas port on the larger side at .081. I would take it down to. 076- .078 for optimal function. If you don't do that an h or H2 buffer will help

The AR should already have an H, or better yet, an H2 buffer. Carbine weight buffers are too light and she lacking in carrier bounce control.

Good looking rifle, Echo. I like the background in your photo

everready73
06-05-18, 18:17
The AR should already have an H, or better yet, an H2 buffer. Carbine weight buffers are too light and she lacking in carrier bounce control.

Good looking rifle, Echo. I like the background in your photo
That's what I was saying. In his lower build list he has a carbine buffer. With our without the gas block insert I would at least run an h preferably H2 buffer