PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic advantage barrels?

Collin223
05-06-18, 21:42
I’m looking into doing a 10.3 in Hanson profile barrel with .625 pinned gas block from BA directly for my pistol build, as with all my rifles this needs to be stone cold reliable, I’m thinking about building this for a personal defense option for my home.

Also, phosphate c-158 BCG from toolcraft any good found a sale for 80$ on righttobear.com?

BoltActionAssault
05-06-18, 21:45
I have a 10.5 govt profile from Ballistic Advantage. Excellent performance no issues.

RobertTheTexan
05-06-18, 23:33
I have their 10.3 Hanson in one of my SBR’s. Mine has the .750 gas block journal though. Pinned by BA. You can’t go wrong with a Ballistic Advantage barrel. I’ve built from 10.3 SBR to 18” SPR and they have all been very accurate and well finished barrels. It’s been extremely reliable, has shot every ammoI’ve ran through it, .223 to 5.66, including cheap Russian ammo, with a can and without. It’s like a set it and forget it. It just runs. No adjustable gas block, nada. I do run an A5 buffer system, H2 I think and a Sprinco green. All that other stuff aside, it’s just plain fun to shoot. It’s one of the smoothest shooting SBR’s that I’ve built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collin223
05-07-18, 00:04
Would a Spikes st-t2 buffer work? I have one laying around

RobertTheTexan
05-07-18, 00:34
as with all my rifles this needs to be stone cold reliable, I’m thinking about building this for a personal defense option for my home.

Also, phosphate c-158 BCG from toolcraft any good found a sale for 80$ on righttobear.com?

My go to BCG is LMT. It’s definitely one area that I do worry about saving money. It’s one of the critical parts of your AR, IMO. LMT has BTDT and I absolutely trust their L7D3 FA BCG and their enhanced bolt carrier with an L7D3 bolt. (L7A3B). I have read guys saying good things about Toolcraft, i just have no experience having used LMT from build one and have zero reasons to depart from that build SOP.

Just out of curiosity what barrels and BCG’s have you been using?

Collin223
05-07-18, 07:00
My go to BCG is LMT. It’s definitely one area that I do worry about saving money. It’s one of the critical parts of your AR, IMO. LMT has BTDT and I absolutely trust their L7D3 FA BCG and their enhanced bolt carrier with an L7D3 bolt. (L7A3B). I have read guys saying good things about Toolcraft, i just have no experience having used LMT from build one and have zero reasons to depart from that build SOP.

Just out of curiosity what barrels and BCG’s have you been using?

Spikes CHF and Spikes BCG is what I usually use

RWH24
05-07-18, 14:18
I am waiting on a BA 11.3 for a pistol build. I already got my BCM KMR Alpha 10 rail and Aero Precision LW no FA upper. Colt BCG, BCM Mod 4 CH.

I have my SBA3 brace on a Colt lower with ALG/ACT trigger. I am using an A2 flash hider for now.

BA Hanson Profile barrels are High Demand, Short on Supply.

BoltActionAssault
05-07-18, 14:34
I am waiting on a BA 11.3 for a pistol build. I already got my BCM KMR Alpha 10 rail and Aero Precision LW no FA upper. Colt BCG, BCM Mod 4 CH.

I have my SBA3 brace on a Colt lower with ALG/ACT trigger. I am using an A2 flash hider for now.

BA Hanson Profile barrels are High Demand, Short on Supply.

I read the background on the design. Balance of barrel thickness where it makes a difference. I'll be buying these going forward. Really like the idea of the preinstalled gas block too to minimize any leaks in the gas system.

RWH24
05-07-18, 15:07
I read the background on the design. Balance of barrel thickness where it makes a difference. I'll be buying these going forward. Really like the idea of the preinstalled gas block too to minimize any leaks in the gas system.
I agree with your statement especially after watching all the BA videos and mrgunsngear explaining the meaning of the design.
Kind of like the BCM ELW continuous taper barrels, sorta.

gunnerblue
05-07-18, 15:09
I have a 12.5” Hanson barrel in 6.5 Grendel. It is a very nice medium weight contour which returns 1 MOA five-shot groups with my hand loads. I’m also using a Toolcraft BCG in this build with no issues thus far (round count is low, however). It appears well made and finished.

xjustintimex
05-07-18, 15:30
I have their 10.3 hanson profile in 223 wylde. We measured the gas port at 76 and it generally would not cycle 62 g 556 with an h2 and green springco spring suppressed. Switched to a red spring and its money now. I will mention it ran find without the suppressor and is super accurate.

everready73
05-07-18, 16:36
I have heard mostly good and will probably end up with a Hanson profile.

I read on the other site ADCO said they had some come through that were not concentric to the bore and have seen some bad rifling on a few on tos

TomPenguin5145
05-09-18, 15:58
I have a BA 14.7 Pencil Mid-Length. I have not done any "benchrest" type precision testing on it as that is not it's main use, not looking for sub MOA out of it. It has about 1200-1500 rounds through it at this point and has been great. About half those rounds were from a carbine class a few weeks ago. The only downside I found is that it was/is over gassed compared to my stock LE6920. I assumed it would have been ungassed being a 14.7 mid-length, but a standard buffer spring and H1 were not enough to calm it down. A blue SpringCo helped a bunch and put it down on par with my 6920.

RobertTheTexan
05-09-18, 16:19
I have a BA 14.7 Pencil Mid-Length.

Out of curiosity have you considered an A5 buffer system with your 14.7?

I have a 14.5, (Hanson)I’ve built a few with the A5 system and they were hands down the smoothest shooting AR’s I’ve built. With a good comp, follow on shots required minimal movement to reacquire sight picture. Very reliable weapons. Think I’m using. An A5H2, maybe H3 w/ rifle spring.

TomPenguin5145
05-09-18, 16:48
No. The only thing I have thought about is going to a BattleComp/BCM Mod0, better irons, and MAYBE moving to an H2. Again, I will have to wait until winter to test out the H2 to make sure it all runs well on the .223 TAP Urban in subzero temperatures.