PDA

View Full Version : New Kalashnikov for Russian Forces

Doc Safari
05-09-18, 09:14
Just say 'да'!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-08/firepower-russian-troops-get-new-kalashnikov-assault-rifles

“New Kalashnikov rifles combine famous, battle-proven high reliability with modern ergonomics, increased hit probability and capabilities to effectively use all modern accessories, from red dot, night and IR sights to underbarrel grenade launchers, forward grips, lasers and flashlights, sound suppressors and more.

AK-12 and AK-15 rifles share most of its arts and assemblies, with key differences being in the ammunition used. AK-12 is chambered for Russian Army standard issue 5.45×39 ammunition, while AK-15 is chambered for older, but still very popular 7.62×39 ammunition. “Kalashnikov” group also designed compact versions of both rifles, known as AK-12K and AK-12K, which are better suited for CQB use by Special Forces, or as Personal Defense Weapons for heavy armament and vehicle crews,” the Kalashnikov Group said in a press statement.

The AK-12 and AK-15 specifications:
Caliber: 5.45х39 (AK-12) or 7.62х39 (AK-15)

Length, overall: 34-37 inches

Length, shoulder stock folded: 27 inches

Barrel length: 16.33 inches

Weight, with empty magazine: 7.7 lbs

Rate of fire: 700 rounds/min

Magazine capacity: 30 rounds

There is a cool pic and a video at the link.

Alex V
05-09-18, 09:45
Cheek weld? What's that?

Seems a lot different than the AK-12 LAV did a video with a few years ago. I guess they have been busy.

Big A
05-09-18, 10:11
I swear the Soviets have been copying everything the western world makes/does since the lend/lease act...

joeg26er
05-09-18, 11:28
Omg still horrible ergonomics?
Stock is way too low

Jellybean
05-09-18, 11:32
Shit, so now the anti-gunners can call something an Ak15 and be right.... :laugh:

Nice to see incorporation of top pic rail, interesting they went with AR-style sliding stock.....guy in video doesn't seem to be able to get much of a cheek weld with that RDS on there-not sure why they left it on a mount....
Not sure why they call them "advanced" rifles though, it's a 74/47 in a new package with goodies that were previously add-ons built in... :confused:

Also the comment section is... literal shit. Don't scroll down there for your own sanity... I can't believe so much of the same bullshit is STILL going around as fact. I ****ing hate the gun community sometimes... :rolleyes:

WickedWillis
05-09-18, 14:58
Just why? I was hoping to see some of those sweet alpha-AK's that LAV got to see when he did that tour through Russia.

Doc Safari
05-09-18, 15:16
IMHO the Israeli Galil with rails is already beyond either design, but then again I'm not a tech head.

elephant
05-09-18, 15:24
Looks like someone took a standard AK, threw on a Mugpul stock, Troy grip, Tapco handguard and a EoTech clone and called it "new". Lipstick on a Pig! I'm sure airsofters love it!

SteyrAUG
05-09-18, 18:22
IMHO the Israeli Galil with rails is already beyond either design, but then again I'm not a tech head.

Just a heavy Valmet.

joeg26er
05-09-18, 18:26
That thing needs an 8 inch cheek riser! LOL

Hank6046
05-09-18, 20:21
So.... you added a few picatinny rails?...

MegademiC
05-09-18, 21:30
So.... you added a few picatinny rails?...

Same gun new furniture. Guess its similar to commando vs mk18 minus barrel length... and i dont think the commando was std issue.

RetroRevolver77
05-10-18, 21:52
I like everything about it except the AR stock. The standard steel folding stock would have a higher cheek weld and can easily be outfitted with a cheek rest. What they should have done is use the Molot style stock with the flip up cheek rest.

JoshNC
05-10-18, 23:37
I’m surprised that the Russians (and anyone else continuing to issue modernized AKs) haven’t gone to a more SIG 551-like design - separate upper and lower with integral rigidly affixed optic rail on the upper that doesn’t require movement/removal/etc during disassembly. The removable top cover design of the AK is antiquated IMO....queue 7n6 reply in 3, 2, 1....go.... :)

vicious_cb
05-10-18, 23:53
I’m surprised that the Russians (and anyone else continuing to issue modernized AKs) haven’t gone to a more SIG 551-like design - separate upper and lower with integral rigidly affixed optic rail on the upper that doesn’t require movement/removal/etc during disassembly. The removable top cover design of the AK is antiquated IMO....queue 7n6 reply in 3, 2, 1....go.... :)

As 7n6 would say, how can you demonstrate the superior reliability of the AK without the ability to open the top cover and stuff a ham sandwich into the receiver?:rolleyes:

RetroRevolver77
05-11-18, 00:00

The AK's removable topcover is a survival tool.

Steal potato, cook potato in topcover.

As 7n6 would say, how can you demonstrate the superior reliability of the AK without the ability to open the top cover and stuff a ham sandwich into the receiver?:rolleyes:

Does your favorite rifle eat ham sandwiches?

Mine does.

Here is an in depth video using science to prove the AK is superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xnb8w2zHS4

7n6:D

SteyrAUG
05-11-18, 17:00
I like everything about it except the AR stock. The standard steel folding stock would have a higher cheek weld and can easily be outfitted with a cheek rest. What they should have done is use the Molot style stock with the flip up cheek rest.

Or half a dozen other stock options that don't require a buffer tube.

Doc Safari
05-11-18, 17:02
What you guys are politely driving at is that they look like typical Ninja Boy junk, am I reading it correctly?

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-11-18, 17:10
Picatinny? How 20th Century. M-Lok my neo-commie friends.....

RetroRevolver77
05-12-18, 07:41
What you guys are politely driving at is that they look like typical Ninja Boy junk, am I reading it correctly?

What they were originally going to do and what they actually did were slightly different. The AK 12 was supposed to be very modern, integrated top rail, free float barrel, ambi-selector switch, collapsible folding stock, railed handguards, suppressor adaptable, bolt hold open and bolt release if I remember correctly. Vickers actually did a segment on the proto-type. What they ended up with is a more "dumbed down" version, it does have some of those features but not all- likely due to cost for mass production. Honestly they brought their variant of the Kalashnikov up to the late 90's Polish Beryl 96 specs. Which is fine, it's not broke- it works very well, it's slightly modernized for optics and accessories but more importantly works well in their Siberian environment for some sections of the country. Plus it is easy to maintain with gloved hands, which is why they essentially will likely never go to a Westernized upper/lower style system.

Here's the original AK 12;

http://armamentresearch.com/differential-identification-of-ak-12/

eodinert
05-12-18, 13:51
Someday, they'll be able to afford to replace the AK. Until then, there is Tapco.

RetroRevolver77
05-12-18, 15:20
Someday, they'll be able to afford to replace the AK. Until then, there is Tapco.

It's the one thing they got right. It's a beautiful design for what it is. It's not perfect but works well.

7n6

vicious_cb
05-14-18, 18:12
The Americanskis are using long handguards now. We must keep up!

https://pp.userapi.com/c834103/v834103263/119e88/dzMCd01v07M.jpg