PDA

View Full Version : magazines, why so many?

ballsout
10-22-08, 22:25
Why do you guys buy so many magazines? Do you randomly hide them around the house for some rare scenario or is it because you wont have time to reload should you get into a gun battle? I read posts with people having 25+ magazines.

bullitt5172
10-22-08, 22:31
How does that saying go "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand"

You can NEVER have enough magazines...

:p

Rik
10-22-08, 22:33
Because without magazines your gun is just a heavy unwieldy impact weapon. Because they like to ban magazines. Because mags are expendable. ETC ETC

jhs1969
10-22-08, 23:02
Because without magazines your gun is just a heavy unwieldy impact weapon. Because they like to ban magazines. Because mags are expendable. ETC ETC

What he said, I have 50+ and will not be satisified until I have 200+.

testudo
10-22-08, 23:07
Magazines are a disposable item.

Larry Vickers has a good article about them.

http://www.vickerstactical.com/TacticalTips/Magazines.aspx

msap
10-22-08, 23:36
magazines are disposable....when they go bad get rid of them. It's best to have some spares around.

sff70
10-22-08, 23:50
Let's see:

6 for BOB
6 for Plate Carrier
24 for training only
36 to replace the training and duty mags as they become unservicable
Several in weapons

That's over 75

hatt
10-23-08, 00:04
Why do you guys buy so many magazines? Do you randomly hide them around the house for some rare scenario or is it because you wont have time to reload should you get into a gun battle? I read posts with people having 25+ magazines. Is this a serious question?

JBnTX
10-23-08, 00:19
.... I read posts with people having 25+ magazines.

The life expectancy of the average USGI 30rd magazine is not as
long as you might think, especially if you keep them loaded.

They are relatively fragile and are definately disposable.

You can't have too many.

10-23-08, 00:57
Why do you guys buy so many magazines? Do you randomly hide them around the house for some rare scenario or is it because you wont have time to reload should you get into a gun battle? I read posts with people having 25+ magazines.
Is this even a serious question?

ARin
10-23-08, 01:10
this doesnt apply to me. i only have 24 AR mags.

ARin
10-23-08, 01:10
no, seriously.

JBnTX
10-23-08, 01:24
Buy another mag and join the team.:D

Avenger11
10-23-08, 05:47
Additionally, if the SHTF scenario occurs (zombies/aliens/people that don't think like us) you will want as many loaded mags as possible. You never want to find yourself in a situation where the magazine you just grabbed is the last one that feels heavy.

More loaded mags = more chance of survival.

St.Michael
10-23-08, 08:50
In the other forum I am on people thought it was dumb that since I just got a new bushmaster ORM and it's my first AR I was going to buy 100 mags just to get started. Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks it's a good Idea. :D

markm
10-23-08, 08:56
I don't know why I have the number of mags I do. (60 or so AR)

At the rate I wear them out, I'd have to live to 300 years old to need what I have.

Hmmmm.. I better put a pmag order in with GandRtactical today! :D

St.Michael
10-23-08, 09:01
True, but the man with the shotgun never needs it right?

rmecapn
10-23-08, 10:53
Why do you guys buy so many magazines?

Because I can. It is still America. At least, it is for now.

woofe
10-23-08, 11:09
As pointed out above, you can never have too many mags or too much ammo!!!:D

woofe

lanceriley
10-23-08, 12:02
I would imagine having a max of 8 mags. it's the max I could carry anyway

boltcatch
10-23-08, 13:03
And what happens when a buddy needs some?

The biggest reason that I have so many mags is summed up nicely by the stamping on several of them:

"Restricted
Military/Law Enforcement/Export
Use Only"

sphillips
10-23-08, 13:18
I have close to 100 for my AR's , I always add a couple to my order when i place one with Brownells.. I only buy Pmags now , still need a few more of them. You can never have to many mags..

Veracity
10-23-08, 14:05
I've got 82...and after reading this thread, I know I need more.

DocH
10-23-08, 14:41
They are disposable,but we have to pay many times what they are actually worth. Mags should be cheap.It just make sense to have plenty of spares,though. With the political climate being what it is I also think it's smart to have some good forearms that are not dependant on mags for operation.
Revolvers,lever guns,etc. Now is the time to get the spare mags.We don't need to get caught with our pants down if there is a new "ban" or a so called shortage.

drsal
10-23-08, 16:42
To echo a prior post..mags are disposable items..you can never have too many; besides, I hate to reload and often take about ten loaded mags for each rifle/pistol whenever I go shooting.

bullseye
10-23-08, 16:48
i got caught napping during the clinton b.s., not this time. ordered 20 more pmags from e-guns this week, [have already received both orders, plug for you chad and thanks]

Abraxas
10-23-08, 16:57

Best possible answer

Master_of_Sparks
10-23-08, 17:08
I have a lot of mags for the same reason I have a lot of ammo and guns. Because Im not a perfect shot and even worse gunsmith.
If I ever need to fight, my plan is to win by maneuver and attrition, or lose to a pyrrhic victor..... :cool:

RogerinTPA
10-23-08, 18:35
This thread just reminded me to order some more bravo company mags before the swearing in of the new POTUS in January...

MassMark
10-23-08, 18:42
I live in Massachusetts...Enough said....

lanceriley
10-23-08, 18:51
what are the POTUS mags?

BB01
10-23-08, 20:28
POTUS= President of The United States

sgtmajor
10-23-08, 21:03
How does that saying go "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand"
:p

this is about the first time that i can really say that this statement really fits ;) just buy as many mags as you can while you can.

UVvis
10-23-08, 23:55
If you show up to a carbine course with 30+ mags loaded and ready to go, you get to have more fun and spend less time stuffing mags. Then you can consolidate the extras later.

Besides, it isn't like they go bad sitting around.

hatt
10-24-08, 00:05
You guys are a bunch of sweethearts.:D The OP looks like something Sarah Brady would post. I have over 25 mags and I consider myself a huge failure in the mag acquisition department.:(

lanceriley
10-24-08, 05:22
hmm.. you make me want to buy some more. send some over.

Veracity
10-24-08, 16:43
I've got 82...and after reading this thread, I know I need more.

I just bought ten more.

Joe Mamma
10-24-08, 16:45
i got caught napping during the clinton b.s., not this time.

Amen brother.

Joe Mamma

Lumpy196
10-24-08, 18:12
Because I shoot and train, and magazines are wear prone, breakage prone and a disposible item.

Devil_Dog
10-24-08, 19:59
Last count I have 50 plus NEW Mil-Spec mags and 50 plus NEW P-Mags stashed and still would like to have 50 more of each. Have another 30 that I use.

As others have stated, AR mags were designed to be a disposable item. With out them you do not have a weapon system.

Bimmer
10-24-08, 22:52

I have seven, which seems perfectly adequate...

I was thinking of getting 3-5 more, but then I couldn't really figure out why I'd need them.

Admittedly, I'm a hobby-shooter. My AR might do 500 rounds this year if I'm really active.

Ben

Bimmer
10-24-08, 22:54
To echo a prior post..mags are disposable items..you can never have too many; besides, I hate to reload and often take about ten loaded mags for each rifle/pistol whenever I go shooting.

You obviously don't live in California...

Ben

Arrkhal
10-25-08, 00:09
Man. And to think, just minutes ago, I was agonizing over whether to get 8 or 12 magazines for my first AR.

I'm generally perfectly content with 2-3 mags per pistol, and about 10 mags of varying capacities per rifle. There's no way I could afford enough ammo to load up more than that many mags at one time. :p

lanceriley
10-25-08, 04:53
Im a hobby shooter too. I don't really shoot that high volume. considering I don't even keep a lot of rounds at home. maybe max of 300 rounds?

whenever I shoot it's just around 3mag fulls. if it's a match probably 140 rounds.

but again... if you wana consider SHTF scenario. 8 mags on the body is really heavy. having more than that

I have seven, which seems perfectly adequate...

I was thinking of getting 3-5 more, but then I couldn't really figure out why I'd need them.

Admittedly, I'm a hobby-shooter. My AR might do 500 rounds this year if I'm really active.

Ben

Shihan
10-25-08, 13:15
The bottom line is if mags were to get banned again today and you couldn't buy anymore how many would you wish you had?

boltcatch
10-25-08, 13:23
Man. And to think, just minutes ago, I was agonizing over whether to get 8 or 12 magazines for my first AR.

I'm generally perfectly content with 2-3 mags per pistol, and about 10 mags of varying capacities per rifle. There's no way I could afford enough ammo to load up more than that many mags at one time. :p

Er... I think most of the posts in this thread just flew right over your head. It's not about having them all sitting around loaded, it's about just *having* them. Anyone who learned that lesson the hard way 1994-2004 is probably not going to forget it.

Jay Cunningham
10-25-08, 13:28
It wasn't that long ago when USGI's were $25 apiece - now they are like $9 new. The likelihood of a "hi-cap" mag ban is much higher IMO than an all-out weapon ban.

Just makes sense to me on many levels to have a lot of mags.

Copis
10-25-08, 13:59
Anyone who learned that lesson the hard way 1994-2004 is probably not going to forget it.

Damn straight!

Bimmer
10-25-08, 15:28
Er... I think most of the posts in this thread just flew right over your head. It's not about having them all sitting around loaded, it's about just *having* them. Anyone who learned that lesson the hard way 1994-2004 is probably not going to forget it.

I lived through the 1994 ban. I remember paying $60 for hi-cap Glock magazines ('til I discovered that they were still sold for only $20 in Germany).

Now I've got enough magazines. If there's another ban, then at least I've already got what I want.

Ben

Beat Trash
10-25-08, 15:58
I have magazines that I keep loaded both at work and at home, for Duty and defensive usage.

I have magazines that I use while training.

I have had magazines break while training, and have had mags get damaged from falling out of a pouch and onto a hard surface, while at work.

I like to have spares on hand, so if anything happens to a mag, I don't have to wait for a UPS truck to show up to replace it.

I keep extra loaded mags while at work in the event of an active shooting situation.

I keep extra loaded mags at home because I have lived and worked through riots in the past. Gives me a slight bit of "peace of mind". If civil unrest were to break out again, I will have too much stuff to do in the limited time I would have available, to worry about loading mags.

I buy mags now, because the current price and availability is better than it has been in YEARS.

I buy mags to go with the AR15 and Glock 19 I have set aside for each of my kids.
Don't know if they will have the ability to purchase firearms when they turn 21. Got them covered...

I am concerned about my ability to be able to purchase mags in the future, even as a LEO, due to any future bans. So I am ensuring I have a sufficient supply while they are still available and affordable.

Arrkhal
10-25-08, 17:02
Er... I think most of the posts in this thread just flew right over your head. It's not about having them all sitting around loaded, it's about just *having* them.

That's the thing. I don't buy stuff just to have it, AWB or no. I buy stuff that I'm going to use. And if a mag isn't loaded, it's obviously not being used.

Also, I was mostly kidding about ammo. I have enough .223 lying around to load... 34 mags. I guess the :p face went right over your head!

IroquoisSnakePlissken
10-25-08, 18:29
I've got a pittance at 25. That ain't shit...

To the Original Poster:

The most pressing reason to hoard magazines is the same reason you must also acquire barrel shrouds.

All long guns of mine must have a barrel shroud for "**** you" purposes.

It's that shoulder thing that goes up.

sdcromer
10-25-08, 19:41
I buy a new P-mag every payday. I think of it just like my 401K. The way the market has been lately, my P-mags might out perform my 401K :D

frogger
10-25-08, 20:39

Spoken like a man that did not live through the first AWB. Once you've had your right to have standard capacity mags taken away, you get a little paranoid of it happening again. I think MOST people with an AR have 25+ mags. I have heard of people with many hundreds of mags. I currently only have 16, but I have 4 more on the way and plan to add another dozen very soon. If finances allow, I will get to at least 50 before any new AWB is in place, which I figure can't happen until at least late January. If I'm wrong and no new AWB happens... so what. It's still nice to have extras. I also have a small supply of extra springs, followers and floor plates so I can repair some in the event that I can't replace them as they go bad.

lanceriley
10-25-08, 23:30
yep. from where I live. we never did. we had a total ban on m16 rifles. the few who got away with it.... we got them legalized.

ZDL
10-25-08, 23:56
I have a 10 per rifle rule. If I want more mags I HAVE to buy more rifles... I like my rule. :D

lanceriley
10-26-08, 00:09
wow! i like that rule too!:D

Turnkey11
10-26-08, 00:12
I have far more mags than I can afford to feed, but thats alright. Last year before a big sell-off to finance other stuff I was sitting 500+ AR mags alone.:D

lanceriley
10-26-08, 02:09
I have far more mags than I can afford to feed, but thats alright. Last year before a big sell-off to finance other stuff I was sitting 500+ AR mags alone.:D

500+ magz ?!?!?!?!!? :eek:

I think you have more magazine than the swat team.

dtibbals
10-26-08, 10:46

Exactly! I just purchased 30 more Pmags this week. I also have adjusted my pistol collection so I have more mags that cross over and have less pistols to try to have a large supply of mags.

SwatDawg15
10-26-08, 14:08
Im buying them uo as well. Even though Im a LEO, It was a hassle getting letter heads, ect and then still paying $20 each for a 30rd. I can get them during the ban, unless they change that to, but still, it would be less hassle if I buy them now.

Side Note: Im really thinking that they will go after the mags first. I may be wrong but I dont think they will do the AWB right away. There will be a hell of alot more oppisition now then it was in 94. Tons of people took their AR's and mags for granted before 94. Now everyone nows that it can happen, and what the effects will be. I think they will get the mag caps, but its gonna be really hard to do a full AWB in this day and time... However we shall see... but to be on the safe side, vote McCain/Palin

Turnkey11
10-26-08, 14:40
500+ magz ?!?!?!?!!? :eek:

I think you have more magazine than the swat team.

Im down to about 150 now, gonna downsize a bit more for more pmags.

oakmax
10-26-08, 15:13
I dislike loading mags at the range, thats why I have so many.

jaydoc1
10-26-08, 21:19
Just bought one of the 10 packs at DSG arms (http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/category/25/magazines--components.cfm)(thanks to KLR_Redux for posting that link originally)!

When I was first looking into getting an M4 and one of my friends in LE told me I should invest in a "Battle Pack" before I bought anything else for the M4, I thought he was a little nuts. He defined a battle pack as enough magazines to hold 300 rounds. Well, his thinking is sound, of course. They're not going to ban optics, sights, lights, or most other add-ons to an M4 anytime soon (although with the prevailing thinking, a vertical foregrip might be just as dangerous as a barrel shroud). Magazines, on the other hand, are just about the easiest thing to go after, legal-wise. People who don't shoot just naturally think more capacity means more danger from a gun.

Well when I ordered my M4gery from S&W I also ordered 4 30 round PMAGs and 4 20 round PMAGs after reading all the positive reviews here on M4C. The PMAGs are great and I plan on adding several to my collection each month but I sure couldn't pass up on $100 for 10 30 rounders.

I probably would have only owned about 3 or 4 magazines if I hadn't read so much about the importance of owning as many as possible in case a ban is imposed in the future. It's just hard to shoot the M4 without a functioning magazine.

Will I ever use the rifle for anything other than varminting, range shooting, or training? Probably not. But I sure do want to have magazines available for as long as possible in the case of a ban. Paranoid? Possibly, but I was looking at all the $3500 M4s after the previous AWB when I was in college and my dad and I were wanting one. I probably wouldn't even own an M4 now if it weren't for the very real possibility of Obama winning the election (Vote McCain, BTW!)

CarlosDJackal
10-27-08, 20:51
I have more than 50 magazines myself. I started buying them for a couple of reasons.

- The first is the fact that during the AWB I could not buy them unless they were used and pretty pricey.

- The second reason is I actually pre-load them for a training class because it minimizes the time I spend loading them during the class or during the breaks.

- The third is because they are disposable items. If I have a magazine that fails once, I mark it for "range use only" with red electrical tape. But if the same magazine consistently fails, then I throw it away o use itjust for zeroing.

- Lastly, I would rather have them and not need them; than need them and not have any.

mtsusean
10-27-08, 23:18
Just bought one of the 10 packs at DSG arms (http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/category/25/magazines--components.cfm)(thanks to KLR_Redux for posting that link originally)!

When I was first looking into getting an M4 and one of my friends in LE told me I should invest in a "Battle Pack" before I bought anything else for the M4, I thought he was a little nuts. He defined a battle pack as enough magazines to hold 300 rounds. Well, his thinking is sound, of course. They're not going to ban optics, sights, lights, or most other add-ons to an M4 anytime soon (although with the prevailing thinking, a vertical foregrip might be just as dangerous as a barrel shroud). Magazines, on the other hand, are just about the easiest thing to go after, legal-wise. People who don't shoot just naturally think more capacity means more danger from a gun.

Well when I ordered my M4gery from S&W I also ordered 4 30 round PMAGs and 4 20 round PMAGs after reading all the positive reviews here on M4C. The PMAGs are great and I plan on adding several to my collection each month but I sure couldn't pass up on $100 for 10 30 rounders.

I probably would have only owned about 3 or 4 magazines if I hadn't read so much about the importance of owning as many as possible in case a ban is imposed in the future. It's just hard to shoot the M4 without a functioning magazine.

Will I ever use the rifle for anything other than varminting, range shooting, or training? Probably not. But I sure do want to have magazines available for as long as possible in the case of a ban. Paranoid? Possibly, but I was looking at all the $3500 M4s after the previous AWB when I was in college and my dad and I were wanting one. I probably wouldn't even own an M4 now if it weren't for the very real possibility of Obama winning the election (Vote McCain, BTW!)

this one?

Product #: MA-02DSGB10

jaydoc1
10-28-08, 01:57
this one?

Product #: MA-02DSGB10
Those are the ones. Other choices there too, however.

OldNavyGuy
10-28-08, 09:17
WHAT ??

I read posts with people having 25+ magazines.

thats horrible !.........., having only 25 :D

at last count, i got 127, 20 rounders and 59, 30 rounders for my AR-15s..., then for my .22s and conversions kits i only have 36 mags., with at least 100 of them fully loaded and ready for action..., which shouldn't be too long IF Hussein is elected.

eternal24k
10-28-08, 09:34
If SHTF you are going to be tossing those mags when they are empty, you are not going to want to crawl around and pick them up. But I buy them solely for SHTF AWB scenarios.

sixboysdad
10-28-08, 09:35
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/sixboysdad/Preparedness.jpg

OldNavyGuy
10-28-08, 09:54
The bottom line is if mags were to get banned again today and you couldn't buy anymore how many would you wish you had?

................................. RIGHT FARKING ON !! .........................

JoshNC
10-28-08, 10:21
Mags wear out, plain and simple. If you are using them and using them hard, your mags will eventually warrant replacing.

I am an admitted mag whore and have recently been buying every reasonably priced SIG 551 mag I can find. I'll also be picking up another 50-100 Magpul P-mags if Obama is elected (and prior to his taking office).

Spade
10-28-08, 13:23
I find it interesting that the person who started this thread has not been back to explain his quesiton or to even possible restate his quesion. Currently I only have I think 10 & feel rather light by comparison

el guapo
10-28-08, 16:37
I brought 20 to an EAG class a couple of weeks ago. I recieved several more in the goodie bags passed out on T-1 of the rifle and pistol classes. You can fly with loaded Pmags with the cover. You can also sit down for a minute and get something to eat and drink before you are back on the line. Or you could rush every single break to fill up your mags again. I had ten before deciding to take a class. Now I have 35+.

recon
10-28-08, 22:45
Enough mags for all family members! Plus lots of spares! :D

lanceriley
10-29-08, 00:10
hmm.. then you need to buy ar15s for the rest of the family.:D

SwatDawg15
10-29-08, 00:21
hell i think im addicted to buying P-Mags. Seems like im ordering a couple every couple days :rolleyes:

sdacbob
10-29-08, 07:11
All my mags were 20yo GI mags so I've been buying replacements. Got a mixture of Pmags, C Product and DSG's, all with Magpul followers. I've replaced all the springs and followers on my old GI mags and will use them as training mags.

lanceriley
10-29-08, 07:14
if you've replaced the spring and follower, why are they still trainer mags?

sdacbob
10-29-08, 15:16
Only because I've had the floor plate tab break off one at the range and puke all the ammo on the ground and then 2 others break changing out the springs. There just old. I've taped all the bottoms but I'd still hate to put my life on the line with a 20+ yo mag when I can still get brand new ones for $10.

frogger
10-29-08, 16:17
Only because I've had the floor plate tab break off one at the range and puke all the ammo on the ground and then 2 others break changing out the springs. There just old. I've taped all the bottoms but I'd still hate to put my life on the line with a 20+ yo mag when I can still get brand new ones for $10.

C Products sells a 10 pack of brand new mag floor plates for $7. Just get some new floor plates and they will be GTG.

boltcatch
10-29-08, 21:11
That's the thing. I don't buy stuff just to have it, AWB or no. I buy stuff that I'm going to use. And if a mag isn't loaded, it's obviously not being used.

Also, I was mostly kidding about ammo. I have enough .223 lying around to load... 34 mags. I guess the :p face went right over your head!

We intend to use them as well - later. And it is very likely that the supply of new mags will stop if the dOuchebag gets into office. My rifle is not a toy, and I take the ability to own and operate it very seriously.

Shihan
10-29-08, 22:08
The way I look at it is who kn ows what the future will bring now, next election, before or after and I want enough mags to be able to hand over to my boys along with whatever I give them.

recon
10-29-08, 22:33
hmm.. then you need to buy ar15s for the rest of the family.:D

Almost there! :D

Boss302
10-29-08, 22:55
Why so many magazines?

Because a bullet in a bag/box is just something to throw at the guy, kinda of like an unloaded weapon.

sdacbob
10-30-08, 02:06
C Products sells a 10 pack of brand new mag floor plates for $7. Just get some new floor plates and they will be GTG.

It wasn't the floor plates that broke off but the tabs on the magizine body that hold the floor plate in place. In other words, the whole mag is scrap.

RogerinTPA
10-30-08, 10:12
I'd stay away from them. I bought 10 of them a few years ago before I knew better. I had to rebuild them with magpul enhanced followers to get the peace of mind in reliability. Just order the 10 packs with the magpul enhanced followers from DSG arms for $100.00 bucks and save the frustration. I just got my 20 mags in from them and they are excellent quality. ;)

buzz_knox
10-30-08, 13:23
Are the DSG mags made by them or are they rebranded D&H mags?

jp0319
10-30-08, 13:42
I have about 40 NIB

John123
10-30-08, 15:53
I think I'm set on Magazines for a while now. The UPS guy came today with 3 separate orders.
120 PMAGS
24 HK P30 Mags
11 steel HK91 mags
15 Alum. HK91 mags

If your wondering what a case of PMAGs looks like here it its.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj169/harryhard/DSC00508.jpg

jaydoc1
10-30-08, 16:34
I think I'm set on Magazines for a while now. The UPS guy came today with 3 separate orders.
120 PMAGS
24 HK P30 Mags
11 steel HK91 mags
15 Alum. HK91 mags

It's not often I covet another man's belongings, but...http://my.popstar.com/Media/Smileys/Worship-2.gif

And I was all excited when my 10 DSG mags got here yesterday.

Boss302
10-30-08, 16:37
I've got 12 more Pmags coming next week. That'll make 20 30rd Pmags, 2 20rd Pmags, and 27 Okay USGI mags. All loaded and ready to go.

blake6551
10-30-08, 17:04
120 PMAGS
24 HK P30 Mags
11 steel HK91 mags
15 Alum. HK91 mags

Damn! I'm jealous!!!

Avenger11
10-30-08, 17:39
:eek: No wonder why everyone is sold out of black 30rd. PMAGs.

RogerinTPA
10-30-08, 19:45
Are the DSG mags made by them or are they rebranded D&H mags?

The floor plate read "Defense Solutions Group, Inc." and the Bravo Company Mags have Bravo Company on there's, which are in fact D&H Mags, but they're still good quality USGI Mags IMHO. I'm still a PMAG fan, which I own 50 of them, but for $10.00 bucks a piece with magpul enhanced followers, it can't be beat.;)

frogger
10-31-08, 01:34
I'd stay away from them. I bought 10 of them a few years ago before I knew better. I had to rebuild them with magpul enhanced followers to get the peace of mind in reliability. Just order the 10 packs with the magpul enhanced followers from DSG arms for $100.00 bucks and save the frustration. I just got my 20 mags in from them and they are excellent quality. ;)

Me thinks you mis-read my post. The only thing I bought from C Products was mag floor plates... NOT complete mags. Why would you have to rebuild floor plates?

SwatDawg15
10-31-08, 03:47
120 PMAGS
24 HK P30 Mags
11 steel HK91 mags
15 Alum. HK91 mags

That has got to be the best picture ive seen all day :p

mtk
10-31-08, 09:07
That has got to be the best picture ive seen all day :p

Not quite.

I'm waiting for the follow-up photo of all of them in the box, loaded. :D

RogerinTPA
10-31-08, 10:32
I sure did. My apologies. But the rebuild and actual quote was this: "I had to rebuild them with magpul enhanced followers"

Me thinks you mis-read my post. The only thing I bought from C Products was mag floor plates... NOT complete mags. Why would you have to rebuild floor plates?

BAC
10-31-08, 11:22
Source: HR 6257 (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-6257)

‘(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition; but

-B

Ryo
10-31-08, 16:03
Since I'm only a range shooter, I only have 8. Plus I have a quick loader so I really find I don't need any more. If I were going to war, I probably would want more since I'm sure I'll be dropping mags quickly (and probably losing them) when in heat of the moment.

mtk
10-31-08, 17:43
:mad:

Looks like all you mag whores beat me to the DSG Arms 10-pack of mags, with Magpul followers, for $100 as they're no longer listed on their web page.

How am I supposed to catch up if you guys are hogging them all?

:D

RogerinTPA
10-31-08, 21:24
I got 3 of those 10 packs...sorry!!!!:)

Looks like all you mag whores beat me to the DSG Arms 10-pack of mags, with Magpul followers, for $100 as they're no longer listed on their web page.

SwatDawg15
10-31-08, 23:15
After seeing that damn case of P-Mags I ordered six more today :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OldNavyGuy
11-01-08, 09:39
After seeing that damn case of P-Mags I ordered six more today :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

six more cases ??????:D

OldNavyGuy
11-01-08, 09:43
All my mags were 20yo GI mags so I've been buying replacements. Got a mixture of Pmags, C Product and DSG's, all with Magpul followers. I've replaced all the springs and followers on my old GI mags and will use them as training mags.

20 y.o. mags ? what's wrong with that ? i have some 40 y.o. mags., 35 of them brand new and 7 to a carton, all Colt 20 rounders. nice..., huh ??

SwatDawg15
11-02-08, 01:54
six more cases ??????:D

Ohhhhh how I wish it was cases :D

kbrdann
11-03-08, 10:22
Just ordered 6 more Pmags. you can never have too many.

Saginaw79
11-03-08, 10:24
Im sure the below has been said but-

They wear out

They get damaged and lost

If they are banned I want plenty

etc etc

I have 60 or so IIRC and want another 10 or 20 when i can get them

CarlosDJackal
11-03-08, 10:39

I got my box of 10 mags just the other day!! :p

AirmanAtwood
11-21-08, 13:37
Where are you guys ordering your pmags from? I placed an order from US tactical supply and they are on backorder for 8 weeks, Bravo company is sold out too. WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOURS FROM???!!!???!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

telecustom
11-21-08, 13:46
They ordered them a month ago, before there was a rush.

AirmanAtwood
11-21-08, 13:49
Well shit, That sucks. Anyone wanna sell me some pmags? ;)

Ryo
11-21-08, 13:49
I find the post Nov 4 frenzy of purchasing PMags interesting..

Probably you can check out different forums on the sales posting. You can probably find some there, but overpriced. People are buying them quickly..

MagPul is already back ordered till January.. probably February now.. making it hard to find PMags.

ZDL
11-21-08, 13:51
Well shit, That sucks. Anyone wanna sell me some pmags? ;)

At some price I would be willing to part with mine..... Capitalism... or as some on this board like to call it... price gouging. :rolleyes: Either way. Make me an offer.

AirmanAtwood
11-21-08, 13:59
I'm currently waiting for the mags that are on backorder. If it gets to the point that I can no longer wait. I'll send offers for your mags.

Devil_Dog
11-21-08, 14:09
Where are you guys ordering your pmags from? I placed an order from US tactical supply and they are on backorder for 8 weeks, Bravo company is sold out too. WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOURS FROM???!!!???!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well I've ordered 20 FDE 30rd P-Mags and 30 BLK 30rd P-Mags along with 10 20rd P-Mags this month. All are on back order, however I was able to order the 20 FDE for $11.93 and the 30 BLK for $12.83. Shipping was .23 cents per mag. My dist told me
30 to 60 days out for a ETA. At those pricing I don't care!

So you are about avg on your back-orders. Everyone is looking at 30 to 60 days.

BTW never seen this PMag (http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/pmagpolymer30round556natom-16compatiblemagazine-1.aspx) before

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/eshindollar/PmagMulticam.jpg

frogger
11-21-08, 14:36
When my order from Brownells arrives, I will have 30 mags, 18 of which are PMAGS. I'm going to stop for now and start building up ammo, but I do want to get to 50 mags eventually. They just don't do any good if you can't fill them. :D

Devil_Dog
11-21-08, 14:55
They just don't do any good if you can't fill them. :D

I can fill all my 150 magz and then some using either XM193 / XM855 / MK262 / 75Gr 5.56 TAP :D I HATE .223 REM

AirmanAtwood
11-21-08, 15:14
I wish I had enough ammo to fill 50 mags. 5.56 is getting so expensive now days. Its getting ridiculous.

Ryo
11-21-08, 15:25
I wish I had enough ammo to fill 50 mags. 5.56 is getting so expensive now days. Its getting ridiculous.

Wish prices would go down. I've gone to reloading to save on costs. I only have a total of 6 PMags and 2 Cammega mags. More than enough for me since I'm only a range shooter, and have quick loaders. Actually probably saves me money since I have to reload the clips at the range so I shoot less!

ZDL
11-21-08, 15:27
Wish prices would go down. I've gone to reloading to save on costs. I only have a total of 6 PMags and 2 Cammega mags. More than enough for me since I'm only a range shooter, and have quick loaders. Actually probably saves me money since I have to reload the clips at the range so I shoot less!

I'll wait for someone else to do the honors..... :D :cool: ;)

Iraqgunz
11-21-08, 15:56
FYI- AR's use a magazine. Rifles like the M1 Garand use a clip.

ZDL
11-21-08, 16:01
FYI- AR's use a magazine. Rifles like the M1 Garand use a clip.

And there it is. :D

Ryo
11-21-08, 16:05
Picky Picky Picky ;)

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to terminology. Was thinking of magazine clip.. and just said clip. I'll be more precise next time. :D

JoshNC
11-21-08, 16:11
The reason I believe in having many many mags on hand is because I currently own 9 AR15s, 2 Sig 556s, and have a SCAR-L on order. Those rifles all take AR15 mags and magazines wear out. Additionally, I want my future kids to have plenty of spare parts should they be interested in shooting. I want enough mags to last my lifetime and my childrens' (and grandchildrens' for that matter) lifetimes.

Magazines are never going to be less expensive than they are today. I vividly remember the high prices of magazines during the Clinton rifle/mag ban and I don't want to pay those prices in the future. Glock mags cost around $16 right now. I remember paying $55 each back in 1997/1998.

In addition to black rifles, I have been actively buying AR15 mags, SIG 550 mags, Glock mags, and Sig P228 mags since the Clinton ban sunset in 2004.

JoshNC
11-21-08, 16:14
Picky Picky Picky ;)

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to terminology. Was thinking of magazine clip.. and just said clip. I'll be more precise next time. :D

.....there is no such thing as a "magazine clip", unless you are referring to some mechanical means of clipping a magazine to one's clothing or web gear.

Alaskapopo
11-21-08, 16:21

Because magazines are a disposable item. They wear out with use. If you like to shoot a lot and if their could be a ban I want a life time supply. I have over 80 AR mags. I believe you should have at least 10 mags per weapon system and I prefer more.
pat

C5CE
11-21-08, 16:33
To sum it up........get them while you can!

Devil_Dog
11-21-08, 16:41
To sum it up........get them while you can!

****in yeah!

John Humphries04
11-21-08, 17:31
Lets see, I have 55 30 round Mil-Spec alum mags and 25 Magpul 30 round mags not counting the mags I gave my daughter. Too many, I think not.

Chooie
11-21-08, 22:22
I don't even have a complete AR yet (got my Charles Daly complete lower, still deciding what upper I'm slapping on it - probably a Stag 2HTL) but I bought 10 30 round Pmags from Bravo Company earlier this month. I figure I'll buy 10 more when I get the upper, and then 10 more when I place the order for the Vltor emod, Magpul MIAD, and the various rail ornaments I want to have. I'll probably just start buying USGI mags after that with every case of ammo.

You can definitely never have too many mags or guns, or too much ammunition.

AirmanAtwood
11-21-08, 22:24
The reason I believe in having many many mags on hand is because I currently own 9 AR15s, 2 Sig 556s, and have a SCAR-L on order. Those rifles all take AR15 mags and magazines wear out. Additionally, I want my future kids to have plenty of spare parts should they be interested in shooting. I want enough mags to last my lifetime and my childrens' (and grandchildrens' for that matter) lifetimes.

Magazines are never going to be less expensive than they are today. I vividly remember the high prices of magazines during the Clinton rifle/mag ban and I don't want to pay those prices in the future. Glock mags cost around $16 right now. I remember paying $55 each back in 1997/1998.

In addition to black rifles, I have been actively buying AR15 mags, SIG 550 mags, Glock mags, and Sig P228 mags since the Clinton ban sunset in 2004.

HOLY SHIT!!! 9 AR's??????

St.Michael
11-21-08, 22:30
HOLY SHIT!!! 9 AR's??????

thats what SHE said. No really thats what my girl said. lol.

AirmanAtwood
11-22-08, 00:17
thats what SHE said. No really thats what my girl said. lol.

well, we know he'll be prepared when SHTF

St.Michael
11-22-08, 08:54
well, we know he'll be prepared when SHTF

hellz yea, i just wish I was as prepared. i am only just now building my SECOND one. ugh. I wish I had more.

rob_s
11-22-08, 11:08
Since this turned into a picture thread

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2961-800.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2963-800.jpg

St.Michael
11-22-08, 11:20
Since this turned into a picture thread

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2961-800.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2963-800.jpg

I wish.....i really do...:cool:

kingc
11-22-08, 19:11
http://www.cupidfish.com/media/images/sharingImages/48.jpg

C5CE
11-22-08, 19:19
Thats a lovely picture!!

Too bad all the dealers seem to be out of stock of USGI mags! I'd buy a few!

ReCon_1
11-22-08, 22:47
Bad time for me to to have spent all my money on a CMMG 16 A4 and accessories. I only have the two mags that came from CMMG with the rifle. So, I believe in the interest of protecting society and our 2A right, each of you with multiple mags should send me just one Mag each so that I am prepared for my part.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a PMag today". :D

Submariner
11-23-08, 08:06
As pointed out above, you can never have too many mags or too much ammo!!!:D

woofe

Or too much cash for the days before a ban takes effect and Nervous Nellies sell.:D

boltcatch
11-25-08, 10:53

... you didn't own an AR-15 in 1994, did you?

St.Michael
11-25-08, 11:07
lol max mags of 8 means when you break one you are down to 7. :cool:

jcase64
11-25-08, 11:58
Well I have 56 Pmags, and a dozen usgi's, thats less than 20 per rifle, tisk tisk. My wife keeps asking why UPS continues to show up at our door. I don't know honey, wrong house I guess. I need another 50 pmags.

St.Michael
11-25-08, 12:32
hellz yea, i only have like 20 pmags. ( i have only been buying up for about 2 months) but the collection wont stop growing. I have a boss who is a gun enthusiast so I don't need to worry about sending them home :P but even if I had to send them home, my wife just says. "honey how come you get the Ar and I have to use the sks?"

TVD
11-25-08, 14:39
I'm "shocked" that nobody mentioned resale value as a reason....;)

bullseye
11-25-08, 14:57
while reading the "150$ for 3 pmags" thread,, i kept thinking about this thread. THAT'S why i have over a hundred, of all types, g.i. 20&30, pmags, ss, lancers. this "panic buying" just came earlier than even i anticipated, it will sure get wild if there is a ban on manufacturing any more. old saying,,"get while the getting is good".

Alaskapopo
11-25-08, 15:02
I'm "shocked" that nobody mentioned resale value as a reason....;)

That is always a potential reason. But I would hate to be without mags so selling them would be difficult to justify.
Pat

C4IGrant
11-25-08, 15:30

Simple. Using the last weapons ban as an example, high capacity magazines went for a premium. This is the main reason.

The second reason is so that you do not have to CONSTANTLY load 10rd mags. ;)

C4

L.F.O.D
11-25-08, 15:47
I just stopped at a local shop and he wanted $40 a pop for 30r non US-GI alum mag. I all most shit in the store he said "well they are all that price now":rolleyes:

St.Michael
11-25-08, 15:50
I just stopped at a local shop and he wanted $40 a pop for 30r non US-GI alum mag. I all most shit in the store he said "well they are all that price now":rolleyes:

yea well those shop guys can kiss my a%%. Our shop is selling them for like 25 also. That is just garbage man. Shady people.

AirmanAtwood
11-25-08, 17:00
yea well those shop guys can kiss my a%%. Our shop is selling them for like 25 also. That is just garbage man. Shady people.

they are just trying to make money. Its supply and demand basics....BUT with that being said.......**** supply and demand. Im buying my pmags for 15 bucks untill they are no longer available ANYWHERE.

L.F.O.D
11-25-08, 17:27
they are just trying to make money. Its supply and demand basics....BUT with that being said.......**** supply and demand. I'm buying my pmags for 15 bucks untill they are no longer available ANYWHERE.

Its not that. Its the "They are all that price" Like I'm some shmo off the street. thank god i know better.:)

St.Michael
11-25-08, 19:57
yea me too. the fkers. i still just go online anyway. :P more pmags for me as he said. till they got no more.

AirmanAtwood
11-25-08, 20:17
Its not that. Its the "They are all that price" Like I'm some shmo off the street. thank god i know better.:)

well you have a point there. But then again, most of his customers probably don't know better. Luckily for you, you know that a price like that is a rip off.

St.Michael
11-25-08, 20:26
lucky for all of us here we choose to go a bit farther than picking up a "cool" black rifle from the local gun shop than picking up gear from there too.

jaydoc1
11-25-08, 20:32
I can't find PMags for less than $25 anywhere. I'm hoping Magpul honors my backorder from September but I'm not holding my breath now that they're shipping exclusively to distributors. It's going to piss me off if they don't because I didn't buy them elsewhere when I could have since I was waiting for the ones I already ordered from them.

Robb Jensen
11-25-08, 20:38

Because of zombies!

http://zombies.monstrous.com/zombie-1.jpg

St.Michael
11-25-08, 20:42
dur man. zombies are the number ONE REASON i own a gun. ugh. use your head brother. I mean unless you wanna be a flesh eater in the future. psh:cool:

AirmanAtwood
11-25-08, 20:56
+1 on the zombies

When SHTF and zombies roam the earth, we AR gunners are going to be the ones saving the world one headshot at a time!!

St.Michael
11-25-08, 21:09
Negative on saving the world son. We will set up a new civilization and cut out all the liberal BS. NO hippies allowed. Sorry for them. They should spent their money on EBRs when they had the chance. We fork the money over now they will have to just be eaten. :D Or maybe we can just make them workers. LMAO

AirmanAtwood
11-25-08, 21:57
Negative on saving the world son. We will set up a new civilization and cut out all the liberal BS. NO hippies allowed. Sorry for them. They should spent their money on EBRs when they had the chance. We fork the money over now they will have to just be eaten. :D Or maybe we can just make them workers. LMAO

I like this idea :D

St.Michael
11-25-08, 22:16
They will have to work the rice and corn fields outside the wire. LOL> If the zombies come they can run towards us while we are safe in our guard towers. LMAO

AirmanAtwood
11-25-08, 22:54
AAH yes a guard tower would be a great benefit. If those zombies are anything like the ones from the original dawn of the dead, that just makes watching them attack those liberal rice farmers even better :D

St.Michael
11-26-08, 09:31
hahahhaha zombies crack me up

CarlosDJackal
11-26-08, 10:12

I have over 50 plus about two dozen more on order. Magazines are disposable items. This means that they do wear out and can become non-functioning at some point. I currently have just over a half dozen identified as "Range Use Only" magazines because they are worn down. Plus I have a couple that I should just throw about.

During the last AWB, I had a heck of a time finding enough mags to be able to attend a Carbine class. While most courses call for just a handful of mags, I have found that having enough pre-loaded mags in a class helps me focus on the lessons and in recharging my batteries during breaks.

I currently carry no less than six loaded magazines in my emergency gear (1 in the gun and five on the plate carrier). As the old saying goes, I'd rather have it and not need it; than need it and not have it. YMMV.

St.Michael
11-26-08, 10:19
yea I am trying to get a bunch for that same reason. I don't want to be short handed if I get to attend a class.

theblackknight
11-26-08, 10:53
Ive got 13 right now, with 10 in the mail.

1 USGI
2 tanPmags
10 Green Pmags
and 10 Lancers from Grant coming soon.

I might buy a Beta before I leave.

St.Michael
11-26-08, 11:00
Do you guys have some on back order and are sitting in limbo with them? I ordered some from a site that DOES NOT say they are on back order and I haven't got them yet. ugh

Submariner
11-26-08, 11:24
I might buy a Beta before I leave.

Spend the money on PMags instead. Search for basicload's comments regarding Beta Mags on lightfighter.net before purchasing.

Do you guys have some on back order and are sitting in limbo with them? I ordered some from a site that DOES NOT say they are on back order and I haven't got them yet. ugh

Yup. Had to sell pre-bans to Yankees to have money for PMags.

Veracity
11-26-08, 12:17
Had to sell pre-bans to Yankees to have money for PMags.

That's how I got my 121 mag collection.

zchen
11-26-08, 16:26
well I live in California....and didn't get into firearms until after the bans (wasn't old enough)....

got my fingers crossed on incoporation of heller and eventual challenge to the "hi-cap" laws we got here.

then I will place order for as many magazines as possible.

SIGfest
11-26-08, 20:56
^^^^---hope so

AirmanAtwood
11-26-08, 21:04
well I live in California....and didn't get into firearms until after the bans (wasn't old enough)....

got my fingers crossed on incoporation of heller and eventual challenge to the "hi-cap" laws we got here.

then I will place order for as many magazines as possible.

I doubt that will happen with the gov. we're about to have.

St.Michael
11-26-08, 21:48
not to mention you got the f*&g Terminator who HATES guns. UGH. LiArs and Thieves is what our country is being run by. OUr fathers are rolling in their graves.

Double00
11-26-08, 22:59
The life expectancy of the average USGI 30rd magazine is not as
long as you might think, especially if you keep them loaded.

They are relatively fragile and are definately disposable.

You can't have too many.

Why would keepng them loaded effect their life expectancy?

Please explain.

St.Michael
11-27-08, 01:05
Why would keepng them loaded effect their life expectancy?

Please explain.

wears out the springs.

frogger
11-27-08, 01:49
wears out the springs.

This is simply not true. Springs wear out by being compressed and uncompressed. In other words, constantly loading them, using them and loading them again. Just having them sit around loaded causes no additional wear. This is a verifiable fact.

Here's some reading for you.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

ZDL
11-27-08, 01:50
This is simply not true. Springs wear out by being compressed and uncompressed. In other words, constantly loading them, using them and loading them again. Just having them sit around loaded causes no additional wear. This is a verifiable fact.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

That's the theory I subscribe too.

Iraqgunz
11-27-08, 04:41
Here is another thing to ponder. The buffer spring is essentially never under load or compressed yet they shrink and need to be replaced. Why is that? It has to do with the compression and decompression of the spring over time it looses its' elastic properties and shrinks down.

Now apply same logic to magazines.

wears out the springs.

jaydoc1
11-27-08, 08:04
This question is also common on most handgun websites (the "will keeping my mags loaded hurt the springs?" question). The issue with keeping mags loaded is not so much that it will hurt the spring (it won't) the issue is one of the magazine lips spreading leading to double feeds and other malfunctions. Not a big issue with PMags for ARs, but can be an issue with aluminum AR mags or other metal handgun mags. YMMV for the lip spreading but the springs will not be harmed by constant tension, just the loading and unloading of tension.

mtk
11-27-08, 08:33
With all this talk of more magazines, I just ordered another 39 PMAG's from Brownell's. :D

Gentoo
11-27-08, 09:16
How many pistol mags do you guys have?

I have 3 for my G19, and just bought 3 more for a total of 6.

My wife has 8 or 9 for her .380.

AirmanAtwood
11-27-08, 09:33

I think your wife has a better grasp of the "cant have to many magazines" idea than you do.

Iraqgunz
11-27-08, 09:34
I have about 15 mags for each handgun with the exception of my WW2 Mauser P-38 for which I only have 3.

RogerinTPA
11-27-08, 09:38
I have 10-12 per handgun.

St.Michael
11-27-08, 10:34

And if he does a weekly swap like some people do then he is wearing them.

jonny46
11-27-08, 10:55
We'll be shoot'n ray guns before you mag whores run out. :p

St.Michael
11-27-08, 11:34
We'll be shoot'n ray guns before you mag whores run out. :p

hahaha I hope so. I have about 25 or so right now, but that is only pmags. I am getting more aluminum ones. I also try to keep as many for my handguns as possible, though I only have 5 or 6 for the 1911. It's cause there are so many other damn guns to buy mags for I have to spread it out. LOL

Double00
11-27-08, 13:26
It wasn't that long ago when USGI's were $25 apiece - now they are like $9 new. The likelihood of a "hi-cap" mag ban is much higher IMO than an all-out weapon ban.

Just makes sense to me on many levels to have a lot of mags.

Where can you purchase new USGI mags for 9.00?

Thanks.

boltcatch
11-27-08, 17:53
hahaha I hope so. I have about 25 or so right now, but that is only pmags. I am getting more aluminum ones. I also try to keep as many for my handguns as possible, though I only have 5 or 6 for the 1911. It's cause there are so many other damn guns to buy mags for I have to spread it out. LOL

This is why I'm glad I only require AR-15 and G17 mags. Similarly, all I really need ammo wise is .22, 12ga, .223, and 9mm. Simplifies things.

NoBody
11-27-08, 17:59
Deleted.

St.Michael
11-27-08, 18:35
just got 5 boxes of 9 for 8$ a pop. I woulda got more but it's all I had on me.

cavscout82nd
11-27-08, 18:42
Because I have nothing else to put on the top shelf of my gun vault.....:D

John Humphries04
11-28-08, 08:59
As I said before I have plenty of AR mags I never bought many mags for my pistols. We have 5 for my wifes Glock 19 and I have 5 for my XD .45. My Beretta 92 has 3 mags, my Sig SP2022 has 3 mags, my Kimber 1911 has 2 and I'm buying more for it every payday from now on. The Kimber is my favorite handgun, now.

lanceriley
11-28-08, 09:40
your favorite gun has only 2 mags?

John Humphries04
11-29-08, 06:39
I got the Kimber Wed and haven't been to a gun show yet. I guess I could use some of the old surplus mags I have, but I still want to buy some more Kimber Mags.

lanceriley
11-29-08, 07:24
try wilson combat mags.... very beautiful made.

Dport
11-29-08, 07:59
Why so many? Because magazines are disposable items, and you never know when you could hit a 10 year drought again.

ARPATRIOT
11-29-08, 08:41
I have 2 complete AR's and have about 50 30 rnd. mags and one Beta.I wish i had more.

User Name
11-29-08, 08:49
40 Pmags, 40 assorted D&H, brownells C- Products for 3 AR's and 40 glock 19 and 17 magazines for 3 glocks. I hate to load at the range is the primary reason. I only keep three AR and Glock magazines loaded.

John Humphries04
11-29-08, 10:01
Actually I am looking at the Wilson's because around here they are more common and much easier to find than Kimber mags.

lanceriley
11-29-08, 18:34
Actually I am looking at the Wilson's because around here they are more common and much easier to find than Kimber mags.

I have 6 Wilson mags (8rounder). which 4 of them were bough in 1983 and 2 were kept loaded by my dad until I found them 2006. That's 23 years and they work fine as hell.

My 7th mag is 7rounder. which I consider as my most reliable mag. (you can't go wrong with a 7)

8th mag is a CMC 8 rounder. It's worked fine but found out that it sometimes jams on out of spec ammo. (too long OAL)

T3550N
11-29-08, 18:46
Since this seems to be a hot thread, I might as well take advantage of it and ask a related question.

I got a handful of Pmags coming from Del-Ton in the next couple weeks and I was thinking, from a home-defense perspective, how many to keep loaded and how long.

I don't like the idea of my AR being loaded when not in use, but if an emergency were to arise, I wouldn't want to have to stuff rounds while there's an intruder in my house. I'd want a loaded mag ready to be inserted and g2g.

So I put the question to the pros:
How many mags do you keep loaded at a time, and how often do you cycle your loaded and unloaded mags to give them a break?

Jay Cunningham
11-29-08, 18:49
How many mags do you keep loaded at a time, and how often do you cycle your loaded and unloaded mags to give them a break?

The act of cycling them (loading and unloading) actually wears the springs - they can remain compressed indefinitely as long as they are loaded with a normal number of rounds. Left loaded over long periods of time the feed lips can spread on the aluminum magazines.

St.Michael
11-29-08, 18:50
I don't keep the Ar mags loaded at all. Just the 1911 ones. I don't really wanna have to blast off an AR in my house. I will be getting a new shotty and that and my 1911 will do for now. If I need more then the wife can load them up while I use up the loaded 1911 and shotgun.

telecustom
11-29-08, 19:29
For HD, I keep a loaded mag in the weapon and 4 in the chest rig. I also have a Zombie Bag with 6 (30rds) with a second pistol with 2 spare mags. I know that sounds like alot but I want to be able to grab and go if I need to. I change out my mags around once a year. It all depends on what kind of mags I have in the ready rig.

St.Michael
11-29-08, 21:17
For HD, I keep a loaded mag in the weapon and 4 in the chest rig. I also have a Zombie Bag with 6 (30rds) with a second pistol with 2 spare mags. I know that sounds like alot but I want to be able to grab and go if I need to. I change out my mags around once a year. It all depends on what kind of mags I have in the ready rig.

hmmmm i need to build my z bag. how do the feed lips stand up for a year? use pmags in that bag?

Patrick Henry
11-29-08, 22:03

Let me guess; you ordered them from Botach? :p

If so, I'm in the same boat you are. When I placed the order four weeks ago, they didn't say they were OOS. Since the order, I haven't even received as much as an order confirmation e-mail. If I get the Pmags from them, I'll be shocked.

RAM Engineer
11-29-08, 22:31
I'm disappointed because I've been reading this thread for weeks waiting for the original poster to come back and reply...any reply...

"oh, those are all real good points that I didn't think of. Thanks."

or

"I've got 7 NIW Sanchez mags with the green followers. That should last me for the rest of my life. I never wear out mags because I keep them in a cardboard box in my closet."

...sigh...:(

St.Michael
11-29-08, 22:59
Let me guess; you ordered them from Botach? :p

If so, I'm in the same boat you are. When I placed the order four weeks ago, they didn't say they were OOS. Since the order, I haven't even received as much as an order confirmation e-mail. If I get the Pmags from them, I'll be shocked.

hahaha actually i got mine from DEL TON who ALSO does not say they are on back order. SHEESH

St.Michael
11-29-08, 23:04
I'm disappointed because I've been reading this thread for weeks waiting for the original poster to come back and reply...any reply...

"oh, those are all real good points that I didn't think of. Thanks."

or

"I've got 7 NIW Sanchez mags with the green followers. That should last me for the rest of my life. I never wear out mags because I keep them in a cardboard box in my closet."

...sigh...:(

LOL Funny man

El Mac
11-30-08, 07:04
Why do you guys buy so many magazines?

Because.

telecustom
11-30-08, 08:15
My feed lips hold up just fine. I have only had to retire 2 mags in the last 8 yrs. Only one of those was a feed lip and it was a crap mag to begin with. The other was a dented mag body that got stepped on at the range.

St.Michael
11-30-08, 11:21
My feed lips hold up just fine. I have only had to retire 2 mags in the last 8 yrs. Only one of those was a feed lip and it was a crap mag to begin with. The other was a dented mag body that got stepped on at the range.

very nice. I am definitely going to make my z bag later tonight.

DM-SC
11-30-08, 11:43
The other was a dented mag body that got stepped on at the range.

I hate when that happens! :mad:

Your post got me to thinking about "retireing" mags. I can't recall ever having a mag go bad...not even a 1911 mag! I must not shoot enough! :eek:

Beat Trash
11-30-08, 18:54
Since this seems to be a hot thread, I might as well take advantage of it and ask a related question.

I got a handful of Pmags coming from Del-Ton in the next couple weeks and I was thinking, from a home-defense perspective, how many to keep loaded and how long.

I don't like the idea of my AR being loaded when not in use, but if an emergency were to arise, I wouldn't want to have to stuff rounds while there's an intruder in my house. I'd want a loaded mag ready to be inserted and g2g.

So I put the question to the pros:

For a normal home defense situation, I am comfortable with one 30 rd mag in the gun and one 30 rd mag in my rear pocket (weak side).

During not so normal times, such as potential riots, due to LEO OIS shootings where someone is pissed and trying to make headlines, or the aftermath of a natural disaster, like Hurricane Katrina, ect., I have a chest rig with 8 mags, and a shoulder strapped thing (called a blandoleer - made by Eagle Industries) that holds 6 mags. These are for unusual situations.

I don't sell dope. I am not in a gang. I am a LEO. If I was anything but an LEO, I'd most likely not even keep a rifle loaded, but would just rely on a pistol.

We each should do our own "threat assessments" and plan accordingly.

ilike9s
11-30-08, 20:54
I have well over 25 and want more. The .mil considers them consumables so why shouldn't we.

Patrick Henry
12-01-08, 00:07
hahaha actually i got mine from DEL TON who ALSO does not say they are on back order. SHEESH

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o I have an order with them, too! Same story. :D

C5CE
12-01-08, 00:56
I sent Del ton an email about odering some Pmags last week.
The response was they hope for delivery in 3 to 4 months!

T3550N
12-01-08, 01:47
I wish they would wait to charge my card until they have shipped the order.
It's not cool be docked the cash for "3-4 months" while waiting.
Apparently they aren't familiar with the time-value of money.
:(

Iraqgunz
12-01-08, 02:34
The smart thing to do would be to cancel your order and ask for a full refund. Mags will be available again after the panic dies down, and people need to pay for other stuff.

St.Michael
12-01-08, 10:18
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o I have an order with them, too! Same story. :D

damn them. So if we put in another order does that mean we can still get em when they get shipped out? Does anyone actually have ANY kind of idea when they will have more? And speaking of PMAGS. My buddy got his DPMS lite 16 the other day and found out they don't drop free. LMAO. I am trying to convince him to sell me the ones he purchased. hahaha

St.Michael
12-01-08, 10:41
I sent Del ton an email about odering some Pmags last week.
The response was they hope for delivery in 3 to 4 months!

sorry didn't see that you posted that. lol. sweet deal. what if we order more do you think that they will all come at the same time?

Iraqgunz
12-01-08, 11:08
I just called Brownells about 15 minutes ago and this is what they told me. They are receiving a dose of approx. 500 PMAG's a week from Magpul. I had the lady check the stock number for the ones I ordered in FDE and she said that I will get them as they are expecting those as well. So my guess is that Del-ton is full of shit and I would just cancel and place the order with someone else.

St.Michael
12-01-08, 11:33
I just called Brownells about 15 minutes ago and this is what they told me. They are receiving a dose of approx. 500 PMAG's a week from Magpul. I had the lady check the stock number for the ones I ordered in FDE and she said that I will get them as they are expecting those as well. So my guess is that Del-ton is full of shit and I would just cancel and place the order with someone else.

Ok every time I call DEL TON their number is F(*(*)(ng busy. HMMM odd huh. I am going to cancel the order and order form somewhere else.

ST911
12-02-08, 09:41
Best practice for backorders is to get in line and stay in line. Finicky people will jump from line to line based on rumored and actual availability. Those who endure will usually get their widget(s) sooner.

Get on a few backorder lists for the item(s) you seek. If you end up with more than you need, sell them.

ecor
12-02-08, 11:44
Brownells 30rd AR15 Magazines available at G&R Tactical.

DM-SC
12-02-08, 18:37
It seems that the larger, accounts like Brownell's, may be getting their orders filled at a faster clip (no pun!) than the smaller accounts are...

Mr. UPS just dropped off my Pmags today...why? Because I asked him too! :D

Ryo
12-02-08, 19:54
It seems that the larger, accounts like Brownell's, may be getting their orders filled at a faster clip (no pun!) than the smaller accounts are...

Mr. UPS just dropped off my Pmags today...why? Because I asked him too! :D

Just a FYI. Brownells and DSG are listed as MagPul's major distributor.

recon by fire
12-02-08, 19:56

Back to the original thread topic, I would like to have about 10 magazines per rifle, and since I have one AR, I should have 10 magazines. Maybe the people that own a lot of magazines, own a lot of rifles and that's why they have so many. I only have 4 magazines for my AR. I can only afford to buy one or two magazines (some times three) at a time. A couple weeks ago, when I wanted to buy three magazines and every place was out of stock. I went to a local store and they had about 150 P-Mags on the shelf. The next day I returned with some money. I was so excited that I was going to buy 3 P-mags. When I got there, they were all gone. A customer purchase every one of them. I go online and I see that people are buying as many as 100 at a time.

Ttwwaack
12-02-08, 20:23
I didn't notice anyone here that was buying PMAGS by th case. :rolleyes: Early bird gets the worm.

John123
12-02-08, 22:31
I didn't notice anyone here that was buying PMAGS by th case. :rolleyes: Early bird gets the worm.

If you look at page 5. I posted a pic of my case of PMAGS. I think most on here got what they needed pre-election.

John