PDA

View Full Version : Any SEAL/UDT followers out there.....

davidjinks
05-14-18, 16:24
I don’t know a lot about SEAL/UDT class numbers and graduation dates...

Class number 211
Graduation date 1970
Graduation from Coronado

I saw a gentleman today in the local grocery store. He had a UDT shirt on, baseball cap, PO 1st class rank, basic EOD badge.

When he turned around I thanked him for his service and also noted that he was a “Twin Pin”. He had no clue of what I was talking about. Said he graduated EOD in Coronado as well. I know EOD school has been in a couple different locations, but I don’t believe it’s ever been in Coronado.

With that being said, I think he was full of shit.

He’s a local guy to me. I dislike people who BS about military service. I’d like to have the proper knowledge before I say anything else.

docsherm
05-14-18, 16:38
Not 100% sure but I think that EOD school was in Coronado in the mid 1960s.

Caveat- I am in no way a SEAL expert. Just remembering a conversation I have once with a SEAL. I could not be recalling the details correctly.

davidjinks
05-14-18, 17:17
I believe EOD School was in Indian Head MD. at that time.

Not 100% sure but I think that EOD school was in Coronado in the mid 1960s.

Caveat- I am in no way a SEAL expert. Just remembering a conversation I have once with a SEAL. I could not be recalling the details correctly.

Alex V
05-14-18, 17:32
Looks like a question for Will Brink.

C-grunt
05-14-18, 18:03
Paging Mr Brink

Mr. Goodtimes
05-14-18, 18:15
Or an actual real navy seal and not some groupie.

The_War_Wagon
05-14-18, 18:54
SOCNET is your friend. Specifically: http://socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199

eodinert
05-15-18, 03:05
Indian Head, MD is where the school was at that time. Its never been in San Diego.

davidjinks
05-15-18, 06:35
Yeah, I checked with a couple friends of mine, that’s what we came up with as well.

Indian Head, MD is where the school was at that time. Its never been in San Diego.

SteyrAUG
05-15-18, 23:06
Or an actual real navy seal and not some groupie.

If you mean Mr. Brink, he works at the Navy Seal History Museum so I suspect he knows a thing or two about the subject. Stephen Ambrose was never in the military and was only 8 years old on "D Day" but he probably knew more about that subject than any person alive in the 20th century.

That said, I'd also recommend SOCNET, it's their favorite game.

ramairthree
05-16-18, 02:13
If you mean Mr. Brink, he works at the Navy Seal History Museum so I suspect he knows a thing or two about the subject. Stephen Ambrose was never in the military and was only 8 years old on "D Day" but he probably knew more about that subject than any person alive in the 20th century.

Yeah, but that is exactly the kind of taking the piss out of someone I grew up with and spent almost 30 years in the military with.

What’s he gonna do,
Put his account up for sale on the equipment exchange over it?

WillBrink
05-16-18, 08:51

Class number 211
Graduation date 1970
Graduation from Coronado

I saw a gentleman today in the local grocery store. He had a UDT shirt on, baseball cap, PO 1st class rank, basic EOD badge.

When he turned around I thanked him for his service and also noted that he was a “Twin Pin”. He had no clue of what I was talking about. Said he graduated EOD in Coronado as well. I know EOD school has been in a couple different locations, but I don’t believe it’s ever been in Coronado.

He’s a local guy to me. I dislike people who BS about military service. I’d like to have the proper knowledge before I say anything else.

I'm a tour/answer guy at the UDT-SEAL Museum on my day off and can find people easily. Museum has all the books. We do it all the time. Sadly, I'd say easily 3 out of 5 people grew up believing their uncle, friend, some times even father, was UDT or SEAL and they were not. It's sad to see. Some times they will call the person on the spot and ask why they're not in the books, and it ranges from denial to "I was too top secret to be in those books" responses. Can look up by BUDs class and name.

Or, probably faster and easier, try SOCNET

WillBrink
05-16-18, 09:05

Agreed, try SOCNET. I wouldn't trust some damn groupie either :neo:

davidjinks
05-16-18, 15:50
Will, I’d appreciate any help you’ve got.

I looked up SOCNET and sent an email.

I'm a tour/answer guy at the UDT-SEAL Museum on my day off and can find people easily. Museum has all the books. We do it all the time. Sadly, I'd say easily 3 out of 5 people grew up believing their uncle, friend, some times even father, was UDT or SEAL and they were not. It's sad to see. Some times they will call the person on the spot and ask why they're not in the books, and it ranges from denial to "I was too top secret to be in those books" responses. Can look up by BUDs class and name.

Or, probably faster and easier, try SOCNET

dwhitehorne
05-16-18, 16:13
In my limited experience in training most of those guys who have been there and done that don’t feel the need to tell anyone. The last instructor I had when asked by one of the students said “Yeah I was in the Navy” and that was all he said about it. David

WillBrink
05-16-18, 16:23
Will, I’d appreciate any help you’ve got.

I looked up SOCNET and sent an email.

See if SOCNET can help. If not, need full name and BUDs class at least.

sniperfrog
05-19-18, 11:12

Class number 211
Graduation date 1970
Graduation from Coronado

Class 211 would have graduated BUDs in the late 90s to early 2000s. This guy is full of shit.

T2C
05-19-18, 16:29
I would be more inclined to think the "gentleman" was a frogman if he was wearing sandals, shorts and a Jimmy Buffet t-shirt.

WillBrink
05-20-18, 15:24

Class number 211
Graduation date 1970
Graduation from Coronado

I looked in the books and confirmed with outreach director:

BUDs class 211 was 97

If he'd graduated in 70, would be class 51, and would have been Little Creek, not Coronado.

Conclude from that what you will...

davidjinks
05-22-18, 19:23
I appreciate everyone’s input in this thread.

I won’t seek this person out, however if I do run in to him again, I’ll try to get more information. I live in a relatively small town so there’s a good chance I’ll see him again.

Will, definitely stated 1970 graduation date with a class number of 211.

WillBrink
05-22-18, 19:24
I appreciate everyone’s input in this thread.

I won’t seek this person out, however if I do run in to him again, I’ll try to get more information. I live in a relatively small town so there’s a good chance I’ll see him again.

Will, definitely stated 1970 graduation date with a class number of 211.

Then he's another stolen valor type sadly.

davidjinks
05-22-18, 19:39
Unfortunately that is what it appears to be.

First time I’ve ever encountered this.

Then he's another stolen valor type sadly.

davidjinks
05-27-18, 16:51
A quick update to this thread...

Memorial Day parade in the town my wife works. Bunch of current and old timer military marching in the local parade honoring our fallen. Post parade, I see one of the officers talking to an older gentleman in his service white uniform with PO 1st class rank.....holy shit, this is the guy from the grocery store. He doesn’t recognize me but I know it’s him. I asked him what he did in the navy...UDT/EOD “Twin Pin” (Friggin guy didn’t even know what a Twin Pin was last time). This time though, he graduated class 69 in 1972 and graduated EOD school from China Lake in 1973.

After a bit of back and forth I was pretty much done. Then I notice his ribbon stack...not 1 but 2 Purple Hearts. In the end, I made him take his stack off and sent him away. I asked him if he remembered me from when we spoke the first time in the grocery store and he originally told me his class was 211 and he graduated in 1970. He couldn’t remember anything. The local news station who was covering the parade in seeking the guy out to do an “interview”.

It’s a shame that he marched in the parade.

Will,

If you’re interested; Koehler was his last name. I can PM you if need be.

WillBrink
05-27-18, 18:47
A quick update to this thread...

Memorial Day parade in the town my wife works. Bunch of current and old timer military marching in the local parade honoring our fallen. Post parade, I see one of the officers talking to an older gentleman in his service white uniform with PO 1st class rank.....holy shit, this is the guy from the grocery store. He doesn’t recognize me but I know it’s him. I asked him what he did in the navy...UDT/EOD “Twin Pin” (Friggin guy didn’t even know what a Twin Pin was last time). This time though, he graduated class 69 in 1972 and graduated EOD school from China Lake in 1973.

After a bit of back and forth I was pretty much done. Then I notice his ribbon stack...not 1 but 2 Purple Hearts. In the end, I made him take his stack off and sent him away. I asked him if he remembered me from when we spoke the first time in the grocery store and he originally told me his class was 211 and he graduated in 1970. He couldn’t remember anything. The local news station who was covering the parade in seeking the guy out to do an “interview”.

It’s a shame that he marched in the parade.

Will,

If you’re interested; Koehler was his last name. I can PM you if need be.

Seems to me a waste of time to do any additional searching on that guy. Obviously not UDT/SEAL

26 Inf
05-27-18, 20:37
not 1 but 2 Purple Hearts

Do you mean two ribbons? Or a ribbon with an OLC?

davidjinks
05-27-18, 22:16
Ribbon with a star.

I’m not entirely sure what the proper device should be to signify the second award; either oak leaf or star.

EDITED TO ADD: I suck with ranks from other branches. Apparently you Navy guys have your ratings built into your rank. Hopefully the link will take you to the rank he had seen on his service whites. Special Warfare Operator, 1st class.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Navy_ratings

not 1 but 2 Purple Hearts

Do you mean two ribbons? Or a ribbon with an OLC?

T2C
05-28-18, 10:20
In years past, someone who qualified to be a frogman had their original rating insignia sewn on the sleeve of their uniform. There were other devices on the uniform that indicated a Sailor was qualified to serve in a special operations billet. I don't remember seeing the Special Warfare Operator rating displayed on the rating patch sewn on any uniforms when I separated in 1985. The SWO1 must have been developed after 1985.

26 Inf
05-28-18, 10:39
Ribbon with a star.

I’m not entirely sure what the proper device should be to signify the second award; either oak leaf or star.

EDITED TO ADD: I suck with ranks from other branches. Apparently you Navy guys have your ratings built into your rank. Hopefully the link will take you to the rank he had seen on his service whites. Special Warfare Operator, 1st class.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Navy_ratings

It should be a bronze OLC for second award and silver for sixth.