PDA

View Full Version : Is my FSB canted? Please post a photo of a canted FSB

zippygaloo
10-22-08, 23:51
Will someone please post a photo of a "canted" FSB so I can compare a known canted FSB to mine.

28_days
10-23-08, 00:18
Some front sight blocks have a faint vertical line that runs down the center. You could try taking a rule and measuring where this line falls in regards to your upper receiver or rail/flattop. It wouldn't be a perfect measurement granted, but would certainly determine whether or not it's canted.

JBnTX
10-23-08, 00:33
Place the weapon sights down on a level platform such as a glass counter
top or a large table. (This assumes you have the standard A2 rear sight)

It should lay flat with no "wobble".

The primary indication of a canted FSB is that you have to crank your windage
adjustment way over to one side to zero.

If you can zero and still have a little "windage room" left, I wouldn't worry about it.

This problem is usually caused by improper installation of the barrel (excessive torque)
and can usually be corrected by re-installing and torqueing the barrel properly.

Another cause is a defective or improperly installed FSB.

Most "cants" are so slight they cannot be detected by the eye alone.
Definately impossible to detect by looking at a photograph.

spamsammich
10-23-08, 03:27

The primary indication of a canted FSB is that you have to crank your windage
adjustment way over to one side to zero.

If you can zero and still have a little "windage room" left, I wouldn't worry about it.

This is pretty much all you need to know. You can also do a search on canted FSBs. If your rear BUIS windage is within spec, (21 clicks either way I believe) you should be ok.

read this.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14

Eye Spy
10-23-08, 08:53
This is pretty much all you need to know. You can also do a search on canted FSBs. If your rear BUIS windage is within spec, (21 clicks either way I believe) you should be ok.

read this.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14

YUP! Big +1. Unless your FSB is badly canted - then you can see this with the naked eye. But most canted FSBs can't be seen, or not apparent until you try to zero your rifle. Then youd find that your windage adjustment is almost all used up on one side.

A_shizzle
10-23-08, 12:08
I had the same issue or so i thought when i got my upper a few months ago, looking at it with the naked I was sure it was canted. Grant said the the FSB is an optical illusion but i still thought for sure it was canted. Well i finaly got my rifle finished and sighted it in and low and behold i only had to move it a few clicks to zero, in other words its perfectly fine. The only way you will know for sure is if yoiu have to move your windage way over to one side.