PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Innovations T15 & T15BDX lowers?

cdmiller
10-23-08, 00:02
Does anyone out there have recent experience with either the Tactical Innovations T15 or T15BDX (NOT TAC15) lowers? I have been contemplating buying one or the other for a new build. Unfortunately I have not had much luck in searching the site for information. I found several posts from members who have mentioned using them but no detailed information. If anyone has used either and could give me their impressions, reports of any issues, and possibly some better pictures than their website, I would be grateful.

mark5pt56
10-23-08, 07:51
Check with jl2, he has a picture on the last page of the stickied ADC PD15 upper(AR techsection)

Stickman
10-23-08, 10:02
Here is a quick picture, I hid the serial number.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_8873%201028%20WEVO.jpg

Lawdog-1
10-23-08, 10:28
Stickman or anybody can you tell me are their lowers High or Low Shelf?

caporider
10-23-08, 11:56
I have a T15BDX as pictured in Stick's post.

My observations to date:

-There are obvious machining marks on radiused surfaces. Doesn't affect function, but I'm guessing most folks are buying a billet lower for looks (I know I did).

-The lower surface of the trigger guard is not chamfered at all, unlike the SMOS/Larue billet lowers. The surface is wider than the surface of a standard AR trigger guard.

-The nonstandard profile of the outer surface of the lower makes it difficult to remove the bolt catch roll pin without hitting the lower itself. There is basically no way for a straight roll pin punch to clear the outer surface of the lower when removing the bolt catch roll pin. Again, this may mar the surface finish, but does not affect function.

-I personally would never use the screw that tightens the lower against your upper. I don't think it's a good idea to push aluminum holes against steel pins...

-As far as I can tell, these are low shelf.

I have my T15BDX lower for fun, but I would not buy another one. It does nothing a $120 lower from Mega doesn't do, other than look different.

http://www.visuality.com/personal/6_5/65_range_1000.jpg

cdmiller
10-23-08, 20:32
Thanks guys.

I have decided that the T15BDX is nowhere near worth the price.

Still wondering if anyone out there has any experience with their T15 forged lower, though.

Stickman
10-23-08, 22:26
I've got one, but haven't built it up into anything yet.

cdmiller
10-23-08, 23:35
Stickman,

For background, I have experience with LMT, RRA, DPMS, Spike's, and a couple of other brands of lowers (the names of which escape me just now) as well as owning a couple of Colt's and having been issued an M16A2 back in the day.

I need to put a couple of rifles together and I am looking at lowers that use pictogram markings only for these two. I was thinking about these because the T15s look pretty good from the website pictures and I had seen a T15BDX at a gunshow. The T15BDX I saw was very clean with very crisp engraving and no machining marks at all but even the dealer hadn't built a rifle with one so I thought it best to ask opinions here. What I have already seen posted means I won't be building the rifles with T15DBXs but I am still interested in the T15.

If I could pick your brain for a minute, what's the quality/fit and finish look like compared to other high quality forged lowers? Also, do you happen to have any pictures you have taken on the T15 you could post?

I am concerned about fit and finish for to reasons. First, something about the way I run the gun will occassionally rub a blister on my trigger finger when I am not wearing gloves if all of the forging flash is not removed from the trigger opening. I mostly wear gloves (Army habit) but it has happened a couple of times and is very annoying. Second, is that one of these guns is for my wife who is very picky about fit and finish (she's an artist). I could care less but I promised two identical guns and she is the CFO.

akviper
10-24-08, 01:53
My T15BDX has two minor issues. The lower edge of the integral trigger guard is not beveled and needs the edge taken off. The end plate notch hole on the back of the receiver was undersize. I tried several different end plates but none would fit without reducing the width. Other than that it is a very nice receiver. For the money, I would not buy another.

Stickman
10-24-08, 18:40
Stickman,

For background, I have experience with LMT, RRA, DPMS, Spike's, and a couple of other brands of lowers (the names of which escape me just now) as well as owning a couple of Colt's and having been issued an M16A2 back in the day.

I need to put a couple of rifles together and I am looking at lowers that use pictogram markings only for these two. I was thinking about these because the T15s look pretty good from the website pictures and I had seen a T15BDX at a gunshow. The T15BDX I saw was very clean with very crisp engraving and no machining marks at all but even the dealer hadn't built a rifle with one so I thought it best to ask opinions here. What I have already seen posted means I won't be building the rifles with T15DBXs but I am still interested in the T15.

If I could pick your brain for a minute, what's the quality/fit and finish look like compared to other high quality forged lowers? Also, do you happen to have any pictures you have taken on the T15 you could post?

I am concerned about fit and finish for to reasons. First, something about the way I run the gun will occassionally rub a blister on my trigger finger when I am not wearing gloves if all of the forging flash is not removed from the trigger opening. I mostly wear gloves (Army habit) but it has happened a couple of times and is very annoying. Second, is that one of these guns is for my wife who is very picky about fit and finish (she's an artist). I could care less but I promised two identical guns and she is the CFO.

I'll see if I can get some decent pictures shot while I'm shooting some other items.

CooperM
10-24-08, 18:52
As far as the end plate, a small edge file on the centering bump on the end plate worked fine, if I ever have to drive the pin out for the bolt catch I will make a small 90 degree drift to bang it out.

Now I just need Vltor to ship their uppers, and my barrel to be made.

Mark

cdmiller
10-26-08, 19:32
Well this question is now moot as I got a really good deal on two POF P-416 Gen I lowers at the Houston Gun Collectors Association gun show this weekend. Now I just have to order Magpul stock kits, MIADs, trigger mechanisms, and the remaining lower parts and get started building.

I would like to thank everyone for their input though.

Stickman
10-27-08, 08:04
Sounds good, make sure you post pictures when you are done with your new creations. :)

mtk
10-27-08, 19:58
Will a Norgon ambi-catch work in the T15BDX lower?

It looks like the rib around the mag release might make it impossible to press the left-side release button.

I hope not, as I already bought the Norgon for my inbound T15BDX SBR lower.

Boss Hogg
03-28-10, 12:40
Necropost, but I'm wondering how these are doing. I have a pending SBR build with a Vltor VIS/MUR. Thanks.

reiswigt
03-29-10, 15:26
I have had no issues with my lower. My only complaint is the lack of bevel on the bottom of the trigger guard, but it has not hurt anything. The fit with my Vltor VIS is great. No gaps or wobbles. They look good together.

jafount
04-04-10, 00:51
I love my BDX. I think it looks great. My fit and finish is great, but then again, I duracoated mine. yes, the build was a bit tricky, but I was able to get the pin seated on the bolt catch with only a very slight mar to my duracoating.

Would I buy another? Well...considering they won't sell to CA customers and I happened to get this one as a used brand new stripped receiver second hand, the answer is no. But again that's not because I don't like it. I love it, in fact. I get lots of compliments on it and questions about it.

I do like the POF but I also really like the Mega billets. I have four ARs two forged Stags which are (IMHO) a very good product, as well as the BDX and an Iron Ridge Arms .308 Billet. I guess it just comes down to what you like, as it's a looks issue over a performance issue.

I hope this helps a little.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x24/jafount/DSCN0301.jpg

Nevermiss
04-09-10, 07:16
I love my BDX. I think it looks great. My fit and finish is great, but then again, I duracoated mine. yes, the build was a bit tricky, but I was able to get the pin seated on the bolt catch with only a very slight mar to my duracoating.

Would I buy another? Well...considering they won't sell to CA customers and I happened to get this one as a used brand new stripped receiver second hand, the answer is no. But again that's not because I don't like it. I love it, in fact. I get lots of compliments on it and questions about it.

I do like the POF but I also really like the Mega billets. I have four ARs two forged Stags which are (IMHO) a very good product, as well as the BDX and an Iron Ridge Arms .308 Billet. I guess it just comes down to what you like, as it's a looks issue over a performance issue.

I hope this helps a little.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x24/jafount/DSCN0301.jpg

Nice build. Is the the Chris Reeve Pacific knife? If not, it is almost the same as the one I have.

I have two T15BDX lowers that I've built. I don't have much more to add other than the detent spring for the rear takedown pin has a retaining screw (0.05" I believe).

I have a JP Tactical FCG on both of mine, and one wears a Magpul UBR and the other an ACR. One has a Noveske upper 6.8 12.5" barrel with switchblock and is waiting for an AAC suppressor. The other is also a registered SBR but nothing on top yet.

If you feel you need to have one, you won't be disappointed. I didn't mind spending the extra $100 or so because I wanted to add these to my collection.

There are other quality lowers out there for less that will work just as well.

Dirknar
04-11-10, 23:31
I see in your pic that PMags work in yours.. A buddy of mine purchased one of these direct the other week and I had a chance to handle it the other night.. PMags would not fit, they were really tight pushing them in place and obviously would not drop free whatsoever.. Also like others have said the edges are sharp and you can see a lot of maching marks.. I wouldnt buy one.. I would buy a mega over these..

jafount
04-11-10, 23:35
Nice build. Is the the Chris Reeve Pacific knife? If not, it is almost the same as the one I have.

I have two T15BDX lowers that I've built. I don't have much more to add other than the detent spring for the rear takedown pin has a retaining screw (0.05" I believe).

I have a JP Tactical FCG on both of mine, and one wears a Magpul UBR and the other an ACR. One has a Noveske upper 6.8 12.5" barrel with switchblock and is waiting for an AAC suppressor. The other is also a registered SBR but nothing on top yet.

If you feel you need to have one, you won't be disappointed. I didn't mind spending the extra $100 or so because I wanted to add these to my collection.

There are other quality lowers out there for less that will work just as well.

Yes it is the CR Pacific. Love it! Crazy thing is Case has an exact copy of it now for $45

ginarik
04-11-10, 23:56
I bought this same lower for my cousin over a year ago and its a good lower overall. He never had any problems and PMAGs fit well with it.

It has a nice nice finish overall with no forged part lines (well the one that I bought didn't). The machining on the lower is noticeable but we didn't mind. I actually like the machine billet look compared to my other forged lowers :)

If I were in the market in buying another lower, I would consider Tactical Innovation as one of them.

I hope this helps :)