PDA

View Full Version : can't sleep - new rifle

jeffreywt
10-23-08, 02:35
I've been lurking for a while here. Currently I am lying awake because the men with brown trucks are visiting me tomorrow (today).

I went with:
BCM 16" mid-length upper
LMT BCG
YHM light-weight FF handguard
Spike's lower
A2 front sight
YHM flip BUIS
M4 Buttstock
PMags

I have my completed lower. The box from Wisconsin is what comes tomorrow and my BUIS will be here Friday. This is my first AR and I plan to shoot a few thousand rounds with irons while I decide on an optic. I am leaning towards an Aimpoint on a LaRue mount.

I've been around this site enough to sort out a great deal of information that allowed me to avoid some pitfalls that others take when purchasing an AR. I think I have read all 51 pages of the tech discussion forum. I'll post some pics for you all once I get it pinned together. :D

ETA: Got my upper today. Now all I need is my rear sight.

http://tacticalunderpants.com/img/arupper.jpg
http://tacticalunderpants.com/img/arpinned.jpg

JBnTX
10-23-08, 03:59
Get some sleep so you can stay awake tomorrow playing with your new
rifle.

Don't forget those pictures!

lalakai
10-23-08, 10:39
make sure to take out basic cleaning and lube supplies, when making first run to the range.

good luck and enjoy

TOM1911
10-23-08, 11:11
I feel you buddy, I've got a Colt 6920 on the way as well as DD Mk18 RIS II coming in a few days.

A_shizzle
10-23-08, 11:47
Great selection on parts. Be sure to post pics and a range report!

jeffreywt
10-23-08, 15:08
Added a couple pics. :D

KyAKGuy
10-23-08, 15:50
Very nice for a first AR...ya done good!

KyAKGuy

MarshallDodge
10-24-08, 11:00
Very nice! :cool:

How is the fit of the Spike Lower to the BCM upper?

Medicine Calf
10-24-08, 11:03
I didn't get a cap!:D Nice rig...

jeffreywt
10-24-08, 14:50
Very nice! :cool:

How is the fit of the Spike Lower to the BCM upper?

It fits nice and tight. The color match is almost perfect as well. Both are very black in color.

Thanks for the friendly comments. I should get a chance to do some shooting this weekend!

Liquid Rhino
10-24-08, 16:18
Cool, Looks good!

There's nothin' wrong with a bit of insomnia over a new rifle.. perfectly healthy, imo. ;)

Enjoy it & let us know how it goes.

toddackerman
10-24-08, 19:26
I feel your pain. Earlier this year I bought an LMT lower with 2 satge trigger, and SOPMOD stock thinking i would complete the build before 11/4. So, this last week, i ordered a 16" BCM Middy upper, (went with Cav Arms plastic handguards as this is a back up and didn't want to spend the extra cash for a rail at this time), LaRue rear BUIS, LMT BCG and the hardware needed to mount a SF G2 and Vickers sling with QD mounts to the handguard and rear of receiver.

I was hoping it would be here by now but still haven't heard from Grant. Arghhhh......I wanted to put it together this weekend and start breaking it in.

Saginaw79
10-24-08, 19:37
Let me know what you think about that LW YHM rail. Ive been considering one for a long time.

jeffreywt
10-24-08, 23:22
It seems solid enough. It is kind of ouchy without panels since it is the light-weight and has less material in spots.

I scored a KAC 10-piece rail guards and vertical fore grip last night. I'm going to try to pick up a cheap rail panel tomorrow at the local fun show so I can at least shoot it without burning my hands until my KAC stuff arrives.

Got my BUIS today.

http://tacticalunderpants.com/img/arbuis.jpg

http://tacticalunderpants.com/img/arupperclose.jpg

Sage
10-25-08, 20:42
Congrats on your new rifle Jeffrey, it's a beauty. I know about those sleepless nights, but mine came in quicker than I'd expected, so it was almost a surprise.

Just out of curiosity; is building your own rifle part of the enjoyment of owning it? I've been checking prices, and the difference between a complete and a build doesn't seem to be that great a bargain, so it must be something else that energizes so many to build their own rifles. :confused: :D

jeffreywt
10-25-08, 20:50
Sure, building it is enjoyable at least for me. I didn't do much except pin the two halves together really.

This rifle cost me just under $1k and it is on par with rifles that cost hundreds more.

toddackerman
10-25-08, 20:59
Congrats on your new rifle Jeffrey, it's a beauty. I know about those sleepless nights, but mine came in quicker than I'd expected, so it was almost a surprise.

Just out of curiosity; is building your own rifle part of the enjoyment of owning it? I've been checking prices, and the difference between a complete and a build doesn't seem to be that great a bargain, so it must be something else that energizes so many to build their own rifles. :confused: :D

Im not Jeffrey, but for me it's about getting exactly what you want. This is very hard with off the shelf rifles. There are some will say just do a Colt or LMT or Noveske, and forget about it, but then there is the combination of light and sling mounts, stocks, grips etc to fine tune it to what you want. Plus it's ALL Mine!!!

Remember911
10-26-08, 13:05
Nice very nice :)

jeffreywt
10-26-08, 18:31
Well, I went to the range today and fired 100 rounds of various ammo with no stoppages or unexpected explosions.

:cool:

Sage
10-26-08, 21:10
Alright Jeffrey!
100 rounds, wow! That oughta warm the barrel up some. My first outing, I only took my 5 - round mag. Shot about 30 rounds at that. These AR's can sure eat up the bullets. But it's sooo much fun. ;)

jeffreywt
10-27-08, 16:12
Got my rail covers and VFG today. I didn't know these things were composite. I really like 'em! I colored the roll marks but not sure if it will stay that way.

http://tacticalunderpants.com/img/arvfg.jpg

Sage
10-27-08, 19:11
Looks great. I like that.....:cool:

Ryo
10-27-08, 22:19
Got my rail covers and VFG today. I didn't know these things were composite. I really like 'em! I colored the roll marks but not sure if it will stay that way.

http://tacticalunderpants.com/img/arvfg.jpg

I was about to say that the spider needs color.. guess you figured that out already. :D