PDA

View Full Version : Question about registration (I am new to ARs)

Koko
10-23-08, 12:10
Hey,

I've been reading up as much as I can about ARs and have been in love with them forever! I'm ready to buy! But I have a few questions about getting them in California.

Assuming I order a lower, and it's not supposed to come in for a long time, like two months... what happens after it finally does come in? Like is there a 10 day wait period and what sorts of registration do I need to do (if any) besides DROS? Since it's only a long rifle and not an assault rifle I haven't seen any other paperwork for it.

Part of my worry is say Obama gets in, and I get my lower receiver in January, but before he is inaugurated... is the DROS all I need in case of a quick ban? I want an LMT lower but the only dealer ok with shipping to CA is a long wait. But if it might "cost me my AR" because of registration delays I might just get any brand I can (which I really don't want to do).

So once the lower is at my FFL what is the earliest day it could be considered mine (date of sale? DROS? etc.)

Note: Cost is an issue, so it's not really possible for me to get a lower now and wait for the LMT and see what happens... it's basically one or none.

Thanks for the help!

b_saan
10-23-08, 16:29
Here you go... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

sproing
10-24-08, 13:09
I've been reading up as much as I can about ARs and have been in love with them forever! I'm ready to buy! But I have a few questions about getting them in California.

Assuming I order a lower, and it's not supposed to come in for a long time, like two months... what happens after it finally does come in? Like is there a 10 day wait period and what sorts of registration do I need to do (if any) besides DROS? Since it's only a long rifle and not an assault rifle I haven't seen any other paperwork for it.

First of all you shouldn't be waiting that long to get a lower, there are plenty of places that have them in stock (tenpercentfirearms.com, ddsranch.com, coldwarshooters.net, etc.).

When the lower arrives at your FFL you go there and fill out the DROS paperwork, then you have a 10-day wait to pick it up. That is all. There's no other registration required. It is not an "assault weapon" as long as it's not on the Kasler List (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf).

Since you're new to ARs, go to the Calguns.net forum that the previous post linked to and learn how to build an AR that complies with CA law. Use the search function and do your homework before asking questions that have been answered many times.

Part of my worry is say Obama gets in, and I get my lower receiver in January, but before he is inaugurated... is the DROS all I need in case of a quick ban? I want an LMT lower but the only dealer ok with shipping to CA is a long wait. But if it might "cost me my AR" because of registration delays I might just get any brand I can (which I really don't want to do).

So once the lower is at my FFL what is the earliest day it could be considered mine (date of sale? DROS? etc.)

Note: Cost is an issue, so it's not really possible for me to get a lower now and wait for the LMT and see what happens... it's basically one or none.

Thanks for the help!
The lower is "yours" when you buy it. Coldwarshooters.net has LMT lowers in stock right now and they ship to CA.

Don't get your panties in an uproar over a Federal ban. The last one in 1994 passed by ONE vote and there are more pro-gun members of Congress today than there were then. There are a lot of "Chicken Littles" running around shouting "the ban is coming, the ban is coming" but I have yet to see anyone produce the congressional math showing there are actually enough votes to pass one.

Koko
10-25-08, 03:02
Just what I was looking for, thanks so much!